• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Unity of NRI because of Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know renu, i think i must be the odd man out here, in this type of behaviour.

personally, when i am travelling, i do not wish to reveal who i am or what i do, unless i get to like the person. i do not carry the flag of india or canada with me, but just myself, and do not wish to start a conversation with my living in toronto and such personal stuff.

it appears part of our background, to be nosy, and get to know as much of the other as possible, without giving away too much of ourselves.

also, it appears to me, that we south asians, cannot carry on a neutral conversation ie comment on the taste of coffee or the service. it has to inevitably have some connection or comparison to india or pak, which i abhor. usually pak folks are even more cattier than indian folks - they give out nothing.

i am very happy that your experiences have been pleasantly different.

your kunjs :)

I am with Renuka. I beg to differ from you, I can carry small talk in any setting. My partners are not Indians. In olden days I used to meet every Indian looking person, I was selling them Hindu Center. Now I am older and can not keep the social activities like olden days. Also the population has reached a critical mass that we need not expand our horizon. But even today we will jump if I see PIO in trouble. We are member of an organization to help PIO.

In my experience yes they do say we are all the same when they don't have their fellow countrymen/women around or the critical mass. Once quite a number of them get together you can forget them including you and vice versa :) and this goes for many Indian ethinicities to not just Pakistanis and Indians.

I feel its religion and not culture that unites the Indian Diaspora generally speaking. I may be wrong but what similar culture does a Bihari have with a Tamilian. Even the way two Indian ethnicities celebrate say, Navratri is very different. So if anything is uniting its definitely some semblence of Sanatan Dharma.

I personally know of many Anglo Indians, Goans, East Indian catholics (east indians are marathi catholics mixed with some portuguese blood etc) especially those born in Britain who have absolutely nothing in common nor do they want to with a Desi. They actually look down on them. I also know of many East Indians (I'm friends with a few) here born bred and schooled in Bandra who have never in their life seen a Hindi movie or listened to Hindi songs. Ever. They have never worn any form of traditional Indian clothing. Nor do they want to. They think and feel they are European.

Mr. Amala,
You do bring in a new perspective. I have not experienced that reaction. We do mix culturally with non-hindu Indians. We have some good friends from Tamil community who are non-Hindus. Majority of my Indian friends belong to 'sanatan Dharma', jains, Sikhs, or Hindus, etc. It is my personal experience.

i dont know renu, i think i must be the odd man out here, in this type of behaviour.

personally, when i am travelling, i do not wish to reveal who i am or what i do, unless i get to like the person. i do not carry the flag of india or canada with me, but just myself, and do not wish to start a conversation with my living in toronto and such personal stuff.

it appears part of our background, to be nosy, and get to know as much of the other as possible, without giving away too much of ourselves.

also, it appears to me, that we south asians, cannot carry on a neutral conversation ie comment on the taste of coffee or the service. it has to inevitably have some connection or comparison to india or pak, which i abhor. usually pak folks are even more cattier than indian folks - they give out nothing.

i am very happy that your experiences have been pleasantly different.

your kunjs :)

Hey Kunjs,

But our faces show we are Indians and soon enough we will have someone asking us where we are from etc and they reveal about themselves etc.
It does happen anywhere during travel I am sure.

People somehow open up to me easily and by the time the plane lands some guy/girl would have told me all details about his/her life,job,spouse etc.

So I just hear out what other say while in travel after all it will boring to sit and not talk throughout the journey.

Mr. Amala,
You do bring in a new perspective. I have not experienced that reaction. We do mix culturally with non-hindu Indians. We have some good friends from Tamil community who are non-Hindus. Majority of my Indian friends belong to 'sanatan Dharma', jains, Sikhs, or Hindus, etc. It is my personal experience.

Well I dont mix around..in fact no family friends at all cos there is no time to socialize but who ever I am close to(on phone contact/online) like college mates i studied with are always invariably Hindus.

I dont know why..I guess cos we were never exposed to Non Hindu Indians since childhood.

P.S When I mean Hindu..Sikhs are also included.I have yet to meet a Jain in Msia.

Last edited:
Reference Post No.81 above:
Shri.Prasad 1
Please again refer your post no 79.
You have addressed Ms Amala as Mr.Amala.That could be the reason for your being addressed as Ms.Prasad.

As far as I could see here in Dubai, I can say that the unity of NRI is just only because of Nationality. Whether he/she is Hindu, Muslim, Chirstian, Sikh, Jain or Sindhi and from any part of India, the sense of unity, moral responsibility, extra care, a sense of "Namba Aalu" etc..etc. emerges within us by default.

A sense to offer extra attention and the confidence of getting the same easily comes to us. In a foreign land people are many moving around with a slightest hope of getting good assistance/attention from fellow country men irrespective of religion and caste.

The nationality, the person belongs to, seem to be more mentally convincing in a foreign land for any nationals.

Here in Dubai we have "INDIA CLUB" established in the year 1964. A very well established and well functioning club uniting Indians of all religion. All the festivals that all are celebrated by all the indians in India are all celebrated in this club. :).

India Club, Dubai, UAE - Sport, F & B, Events, Utsav, Darbar, Crystal Lounge, Terrace Gardens, Mehfil 1, Mehfil 2, Diwan-E-Khas, Aangan, Hasty Tasty, Garden Cafe, Madhushala, Splash Bar

The nation of India and its diversified culture is the thing that's uniting we Indians here.

Jains are are very nice people, very sharp and intelligent, and can be very adamant at times. I have got along well with them, but these experiences are firmly etched.

At the start of my working career, a fellow trainee invited a few of us to his house for dinner- an early dinner before sunset. About 15 years ago, my colleague's mother suddenly decided not to take any medicine or food and passed away within 15 days. Her decision was respected by all her children and relatives and many visited her to talk to her and have her darshan. Another jain colleague's parents in their seventies decided to call it a day, and left the house leaving everything behind - wealth and relations - and went on a foot trip to all the holy places. His son did not even know where his parents were. Even today one can see jain ladies and gents clad in simple white clothes on bare feet walking in small groups from one temple to another in Maharashtra and Karnataka. A great community, no doubt.

Well I dont mix around..in fact no family friends at all cos there is no time to socialize but who ever I am close to(on phone contact/online) like college mates i studied with are always invariably Hindus.

I dont know why..I guess cos we were never exposed to Non Hindu Indians since childhood.

P.S When I mean Hindu..Sikhs are also included.I have yet to meet a Jain in Msia.

Thank you Shri Krishnamurthy.

Actually Renu most of the gujjus in KL and Melaka are all Jain only. They tell us its far easier to say Hindu and get on with it and many of them don't even eat onions, garlic etc. In fact one of my mum's friend says she has all the Hindu gods pic in her house for deco only but in her little alter thats where they pray its Mahaveer.

Hey Kunjs,

But our faces show we are Indians and soon enough we will have someone asking us where we are from etc and they reveal about themselves etc.
It does happen anywhere during travel I am sure.

People somehow open up to me easily and by the time the plane lands some guy/girl would have told me all details about his/her life,job,spouse etc.

So I just hear out what other say while in travel after all it will boring to sit and not talk throughout the journey.

renuks,

you are like mrs k. she has to wait for a few minutes in the bus stand, and by the time the bus arrives, she knows the name and details of the person standing next to her, and by the end of the journey knows inside out about the other person. i have had issues with this, because, it is always tit for tat right? the other person would know equal amount about us?

to me, an essentially private person, this is discomforting.

i have gone through 24 hours of flight and not spoken a word to the guy next to me in the plane. if it is a gal, i may be more tempted to socialize, esp if she is a young tamil. but then there have been exceptions to the rule.

if you sit next to me, even on a short flight, i promise to pour out my life angsts to you :)

renuks,

you are like mrs k. she has to wait for a few minutes in the bus stand, and by the time the bus arrives, she knows the name and details of the person standing next to her, and by the end of the journey knows inside out about the other person. i have had issues with this, because, it is always tit for tat right? the other person would know equal amount about us?

to me, an essentially private person, this is discomforting.

i have gone through 24 hours of flight and not spoken a word to the guy next to me in the plane. if it is a gal, i may be more tempted to socialize, esp if she is a young tamil. but then there have been exceptions to the rule.

if you sit next to me, even on a short flight, i promise to pour out my life angsts to you :)

Kunjs,

Ok book your next flight and let me know when.So you tell me all info and I will type it in forum for all to read!!! LOL

but poor you..I am no young tamil but a middle aged tamil.

K & R what you do between you too in private should stay private, no need to speak about it in public forum. LOL;)

Kunjuppu please tell me you would pore your hart to Reneka, because she is a Hindu, or you say that to all pretty ladies. (Just joking).:high5:

Last edited:
K & R what you do between you too in private should stay private, no need to speak about it in public forum. LOL;)

Kunjuppu please tell me you would pore your hart to Reneka, because she is a Hindu, or you say that to all pretty ladies. (Just joking).:high5:

Aiyooo Prasad..why you always spell my name as Reneka???
Mama nama Renuka.

Hey Prasad..you just said K and R should not tell all in forum..now you want to know why K wants to pour his heart out?
enna kodumai prasad idhu?

Aiyooo Prasad..why you always spell my name as Reneka???
Mama nama Renuka.

Hey Prasad..you just said K and R should not tell all in forum..now you want to know why K wants to pour his heart out?
enna kodumai prasad idhu?
Soooooooooory, Renuka.
English is my second language, I don't have a first one.
Technology challenged, failing eyesight, hurry to post, what other excuses can I think of.

but poor you..I am no young tamil but a middle aged tamil.

You know I had always thought middle age was when one was at least half a century old. Having looked it up now, according to the US census it starts from 35 years. Ye Gads! Clearly they haven't heard that "life begins at 40", the miserable sods! :)

Dear Krishnamurthy, I am in U.S. on 4 months stay with my wife. we have been visiting occasionally to be with our daughter & grand children, who are growing up. They also visit India. I fully agree & also experience the same, when we visit temples & other south Indian gatherings. The children have merged with the locals in their school/ college & obviously different in many ways. Slowly they would be losing Indian way of life & lead American life with our tradition mixed a bit . We have encouraged our sons/ daughters to have higher education & high end jobs & earn handsome salaries, which they have done & continue to do. This position helps the parents to raise their living standards to an unexpected level & also visit U.S, for which we would ever had a chance. Such parents now live in luxury flats with money to spend liberally & found to exhibit pride when they talk to others / similarly placed families. It is not in our hands to revert the situation. We all feel good & enjoy the fruits, with the minus aspects like, the children are far away & you feel lonely in India---Still, it has given you the never thought of facility of Magic Jack / web camera thru which you can talk to every one in U.S. at Cheapest rates & for longest time , till you get bored.
What else one would need.
I am 100 % sure that all T. B s are extremely happy, visit for 6 months for Deliveries, baby sitting etc. This cycle brings the relatio between , not only with sons & daughters , but also with Son-in laws/ daughter in-laws and also with the Sammandhis.
Any Comments ?

A.Srinivasan( Rishikesan)

rs of flight and not spoken a word to the guy next to me in the plane. if it is a gal, i may be more tempted to socialize, esp if she is a young tamil. but then there have been exceptions to the rule.

How do you know she is a Tamil, whether young or middle-aged? Is it some sort of profiling based on how she eats?

And what causes the exceptions? Looks? :)

Reference Post No.81 above:
Shri.Prasad 1
Please again refer your post no 79.
You have addressed Ms Amala as Mr.Amala.That could be the reason for your being addressed as Ms.Prasad.

On a related note, it looks like the French want to ban the term "mademoiselle" because it (used to) mean "virgin girl"

French Feminists Want To Ban The Word 'Mademoiselle' That is quite sad, I for one quite liked how Hercule Poirot went around England addressing everybody as Mademoiselle. Maybe he knew more about their personal details than he let on.

You know M Poirot?? I'm like such a hugeee fan of his. I only ever read Agatha Christie for him and his egg shaped head and his "little grey cells" (in his own words, or AC's rather) :). He is way better than that awful Miss Marple anyday. And he used to love his moustache. M Poirot is my favourite detective. Even better than Holmes.

Sorry to go off on a tangent everyone. I'm feeling a tad nostalgic now. Been years since I've picked up an Agatha Christie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back