• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Triple filter test for a good friendship

Status
Not open for further replies.
People often wonder why some people have such great friends and manage to keep them ... If you manage to apply the following in your life, the same could work for you:

In ancient Greece , Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem.

One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, "Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

"Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

"Triple filter?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say. That's why I call it the triple filter test. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and..."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not.Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates,
"if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"

This is why Socrates was a great philosopher & held in such high esteem. If we are able to protect our friends and those we love having bad notions about them. in this manner, we cannot be influenced by outsiders in

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we followed these rules?

Love akura ji. I feel one has to apply these guidlines not only among friends even for relatives and colleagues, peers.etc Happy Deepavali,

Friendship-I dont know how and why!.It just develops.Just starts with an instant liking for the person and then it develops.lot of concern,identity of views,cultural background,give and take etc are the hallmarks.I have successfully maintained my relationships and hardly are there any misunderstandings!

Namaskaram

I came to read a piece by Dr P.E.Sarangadhara Kartha, in another blog while surfing the net. I found it impressive and thought provoking.

Would I be here, if the Sun were a little bigger?
No! Says the Science, as the Sun would have eaten himself by now! 1

Would I be here, if the Sun were slightly smaller?
Science rebuts! As a pale disc in the sky, he could not be my life prop!1
Would I be here, if the Sun were a little farther?
No! No! Cries the Science, as he would be a bit too far to nurture me! !2

Would I be here, if the Sun were positioned somewhat closer?
Certainly not! States the Science, and I could not live in a Boiler! 2

Would I be here, if the Earth were a little bigger?
No! Says the Science, as the Earth would have smothered me in a flash!3

Would I be here, if the Earth were slightly smaller?
Science rebuts! As then all the air around me would have taken a walk
! 3

Would I be here, if the Moon were positioned halfway down?
Yes! Says the Science, if only, I could morph as a frog! 4

Would I be here, if all the protons were a tad lighter as of now?
No! Shouts the Science, as Sun would be guzzling the Earth by now! 5

Would I be here, if the forces binding the atomic nuclei were a bit weaker?
No! Says the Science, as there would not have been any sunshine and heat! 6

Would I be here, if the forces binding the atomic nuclei were a bit stronger?
No! Says the Science, as there would have been only the explosions galore ! 7

But the Sun, and the Earth are made to order in size and distance!
The Moon is there sufficiently away and I am safe from his pranks!

The basic forces are just right and precise to suit my well-being!
So, I do say, the world is built for me, it is anthropocentric!

But the truth of the matter is that I am not distinct even from a microbe!
From the ultra diminutive Diplococcus to the dinosaur Diplodocus,

All of us are a result of the same Universal Life Principle sans any bias!
And again, the basic genetic material is the same for all that is alive!

(with all respect to copyrights )

the link for full reading is ;
So, I Do Say, World Is Anthropocentric : Dr. P. E. Sarangadhara Kartha blogs on sulekha, Science blogs, Dr. P. E. Sarangadhara Kartha blog from india

Greestings

People often wonder why some people have such great friends and manage to keep them ... If you manage to apply the following in your life, the same could work for you:

In ancient Greece , Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem.

One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said, "Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"

"Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test. It's called the Triple Filter Test."

"Triple filter?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say. That's why I call it the triple filter test. The first filter is Truth. Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"

"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and..."

"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it's true or not.Now let's try the second filter, the filter of Goodness. Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?"

"No, on the contrary..."

"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it's true. You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of Usefulness. Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?"

"No, not really."

"Well," concluded Socrates,
"if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"

This is why Socrates was a great philosopher & held in such high esteem. If we are able to protect our friends and those we love having bad notions about them. in this manner, we cannot be influenced by outsiders in

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we followed these rules?

Dear
Does Shasi Tharor & Sunanda Pass this triple filter test? How about Shashikala & Udanpirava sakothari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back