• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Left to die on road, Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq

Status
Not open for further replies.

GANESH65

Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'

Lucknow: Shagufta Shah, a mother of two and a 'triple talaq' victim from Lucknow, has written a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi urging him to abolish the 'evil Islamic tradition' at the earliest.Reports said on Wednesday that Shah decided to write to the Prime Minister about her ordeal after she was 'disowned' by her husband when she refused to abort her third child. In her letter, Shah spoke eloquently about the pain she was subjected to when she became pregnant for the third time and how her husband Shamshad Sayeed wanted her to terminate the pregnancy, fearing that the third born may also be a girl.Shagufta, who refused to budge down to the unreasonable demand, was tortured, beaten mercilessly by her husband and thrown onto the streets before being served with 'triple talaq'.The lady from Saharanpur got little help from the police and decided to approach none other than the Prime Minister himself for help. Shah, who took inspiration from fellow Saharanpur resident Atiya Sabri, said, '' I wrote a letter to PM Modi requesting him to abolish 'triple talaq'. I voted for him, I hope to get justice now.''

"Mr Prime Minister, it is my humble request to please help this poor and helpless woman. I also request you to ensure that this evil tradition ends so that woman like me and other victims get justice and live a dignified life," she had written in the letter.

A copy of the letter has also been sent to UP CM Yogi Adithyanath, District Magistrate and the National Commission for Women.
The 'triple talaq' is a Sharia law practice which allows men to end a marriage simply by saying 'talaq' to their wives three times in succession.

While many Muslim-majority countries such as Pakistan and Indonesia have outlawed the custom for years, India - home to the world's third-largest Muslim population - continues to allow it.

Narendra Modi-led BJP has recently turned focus to the evil tradition and called for implementing the Uniform Civil Code despite intense criticism from the Muslim bodies.

http://zeenews.india.com/india/left...riple-talaq-says-i-voted-for-bjp-1990980.html

There seems to be a misunderstanding with regards to Talaq.
Talaq can be said (Lafaz) 1 time or 2 times or 3 times.

All lead to divorce.

Its not that it has to be Triple Talaq to divorce a wife.

The difference is in Single and Double Talaq a man can marry the same wife again right away after a short period..but in case of Triple Talaq he cant marry her again right away..she has to marry another man first..consumate that marriage..get divorced from new husband and only then get married again to her former husband.

In Malaysia all muslims still practice Talaq system..its sanctioned by the religion and part and parcel of Islam.

Out here Lafaz of Talaq does not always have to be verbal or face to face..even texting sms Talaq is valid.

Well if it is single two or triple talaq, this way of discarding a marital relationship is highly disadvantages for the women involved. There should be some rationale and protection of women. Because, let it be any cast/religion rehabilitation of divorced woman, is not at all easy, at least in India. Just see the plight of the woman in the OP. Channels are beaming such stories every day. It is so cruel to discard a woman like this. And in India I don't think any man would remarry the same woman again, so it is the triple one is their favorite choice. In another post someone displayed two wives of a person inviting people for their own husbands third marriage. Who knows they may be agreed to that proposal fearing the talaq system?!

NB: T B boys are finding it difficult to find one girl to live with. These guys are having a plenty! " Bahut na insafi hai yeh"!!:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Each religion has its tradition and rules...divorce still happens in all communities in the world.

Beating wife..burning wife..female infanticide is seen all over India.

So its not about the Talaq system that is the root cause of the problem..its the mindset of men who feel its easy to ill treat a woman and also the traditional preference for a male child.

Some communities dont have Talaq system but many resort to burning wives to get rid of them if demands of dowry are not met...that too by a mother in law.

Its just that its lack of human values.

Frankly speaking dealing with Talaq is a sensitive matter and would stir up emotions..if Talaq cant exist than all other forms of divorce too cant exists
to safe guard sanctity of marriage for all religions.

For us Hindus ..divorce does not exist even in our language but yet couples divorce in court..so are we disrespecting our religion by resorting to divorce.

What if tommorrow a religious personality says No more divorce for all Hindus?

I am sure everyone would say its personal right to decide about marriage.

Likewise if I were Modi I wont comment on another religions practice..it could not end well for anyone.

Its better to let Muslims or any Non Hindu to decide best for themselves.

Last edited:

The SC of India may decide the legality of triple talaq shortly. It is also reported that the SC will focus only on that issue and determine whether it is linked to constitutional rights.

Supreme Court sets May 11-19 to finish hearings on triple talaq

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court has set May 11-19 as the timeline to conclude hearings on the legality of triple talaq, signalling its resolve to shortly decide an issue with potentially severe socio-political implications. The court said it would hold daily sittings between May 11 and May 19 to decide pleas by Muslim women to declare the practice of oral talaq illegal.

The timeline comes amid hardening resistance from Muslim clergy, represented by the All India Muslim Personal Law Board and others, who have argued that triple talaq has the sanction of the Quran, forms part of Muslim personal law and, therefore, falls squarely outside the purview of the judiciary. The Centre has argued that the issue concerns gender justice rather than religious rights of the minority community, setting the stage for a legal battle which can have serious repercussions.

The Supreme Court's decision to expeditiously dispose off the sensitive matter comes just after BJP's landslide win in UP polls. Party strategists claim BJP's support for the campaign to scrap oral triple talaq — a practice which has been outlawed in many Islamic countries — contributed to its spectacular victory margin.

Read more at: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ings-on-triple-talaq/articleshow/57928444.cms

Last edited by a moderator:
The constitution of a country and the laws consistent with it should only be the authority. All other local laws even if it is religion based that violate the constitution must be explicitly outlawed.

People who regard their religious laws to be more sacrosanct because it is the word of 'their' God have to be dealt with proper response.

There cannot be Hindu religious laws or Christian laws etc. The woman abused in the story needs full protection of the Government. The religious laws have to be explicitly repealed since it is not aligned with law of the land. If the man wants a divorce let him go through the courts.

The constitution of a country and the laws consistent with it should only be the authority. All other local laws even if it is religion based that violate the constitution must be explicitly outlawed.

People who regard their religious laws to be more sacrosanct because it is the word of 'their' God have to be dealt with proper response.

There cannot be Hindu religious laws or Christian laws etc. The woman abused in the story needs full protection of the Government. The religious laws have to be explicitly repealed since it is not aligned with law of the land. If the man wants a divorce let him go through the courts.

hi sir,

in a democratic country....votes are very important ...certain religious issues are vote bank....gay marriage /abortion rules

are in USA....same way some kinds of religious issues....constitutions are written/may be ammended...ONLY UNIFORM

CIVIL CODE IS SOLLUTION...its hard to implement by any government...see the latest problem....transgender bath room issue

in NORTH CAROLINA....

Last edited:
hi sir,

in a democratic country....votes are very important ...certain religious issues are vote bank....gay marriage /abortion rules

are in USA....same way some kinds of religious issues....constitutions are written/may be ammended...ONLY UNIFORM

CIVIL CODE IS SOLLUTION...its hard to implement by any government...see the latest problem....transgender bath room issue

in NORTH CAROLINA....

US constitution rarely gets amended because it is hard to get amendments ratified. In India, the constitution seem to be amended more often. Regardless, it is better to deal with a law that is consistent with the constitution than a religious law consistent with a religious book.

The transgender bathroom issue will get straightened out just like gay weddings, voting rights for blacks, voting rights for women etc. It all was possible because of reliance on the constitution as the authority. Vote bank politics can have transient effect but lasting changes happen when there is respect to the constitution (and not religious books of any religion)

US constitution rarely gets amended because it is hard to get amendments ratified. In India, the constitution seem to be amended more often. Regardless, it is better to deal with a law that is consistent with the constitution than a religious law consistent with a religious book.

The transgender bathroom issue will get straightened out just like gay weddings, voting rights for blacks, voting rights for women etc. It all was possible because of reliance on the constitution as the authority. Vote bank politics can have transient effect but lasting changes happen when there is respect to the constitution (and not religious books of any religion)
hi

this particular religious issue....in india...SATI WAS ABOLISHED...even though it is hindu issue...but nobody ready to

touch muslim/christian religious issues...just for Vote bank...

[h=1]Thelegality of ‘triple talaq’ being very important, it is reported that the SC’s Constitution Bench will look into this during the court’s summervacation in May.[/h]If Pakistan and 21 other countries have abolished triple talaq, why can't India?

A large section of Muslim women has been demanding an end to triple talaq. It is time the AIMPLB gave up its opposition to this

The All-India Muslim Personal Law Board has been mulishly opposed to abolishing triple talaq, which is a procedure a Muslim adopts to divorce his wife by pronouncing talaq three times in one sitting. Most recently, the AIMPLB has expressed disquiet over a petition requesting the Supreme Court to determine the constitutional validity of triple talaq.

The AIMPLB’s position is in sharp contrast to the dominant trend worldwide. As many as 22 Muslim countries – including Pakistan and Bangladesh – or their provinces have abolished triple talaq either explicitly or implicitly.

The list includes Turkey and Cyprus, which have adopted secular family laws; Tunisia and Algeria and the Malaysian state of Sarawak, which do not recognise a divorce pronounced outside a court of law; and Iran, where triple talaq doesn’t have validity under its Shia law.

The invidious procedure of triple talaq is confined to the Sunnis alone, not only in India, but around the world.

It has often been argued in India that religious minorities of any country are relatively impervious to change. They fear any alteration in their practices could lead to them losing their religious identity. But this apprehension doesn’t afflict the Muslims of Sri Lanka, where they constitute a little less than 10% of the population.
……….
………..
Verdicts in India

It is not that judicial verdicts in India haven’t led to the annulment of triple talaq. For instance, in a 2008 case titled Masroor Ahmad v state, a Muslim judge of the Delhi High Court, Badar Durrez Ahmad ruled that triple talaq in India should be deemed as a single revocable talaq. Again, in Jiauddin Ahmed v Anwara Begum, the Gauhati High Court said that a talaq must be “for a reasonable cause” and must be preceded by attempts at reconciliation.

Given that a large section of Muslim women has been demanding an end to triple talaq, brought out through several opinion polls, the AIMPLB’s refusal to reform the Muslim Personal Law on this aspect is ostrich-like. It should study the reforms several Muslim countries have adopted in order to abolish triple talaq.

Read more at: https://scroll.in/article/806299/if...ave-abolished-triple-talaq-why-shouldnt-india

Last edited by a moderator:
Each religion has its tradition and rules...divorce still happens in all communities in the world.

Beating wife..burning wife..female infanticide is seen all over India.

So its not about the Talaq system that is the root cause of the problem..its the mindset of men who feel its easy to ill treat a woman and also the traditional preference for a male child.

Some communities dont have Talaq system but many resort to burning wives to get rid of them if demands of dowry are not met...that too by a mother in law.

Its just that its lack of human values.

Frankly speaking dealing with Talaq is a sensitive matter and would stir up emotions..if Talaq cant exist than all other forms of divorce too cant exists
to safe guard sanctity of marriage for all religions.

For us Hindus ..divorce does not exist even in our language but yet couples divorce in court..so are we disrespecting our religion by resorting to divorce.

I am sure everyone would say its personal right to decide about marriage.

Likewise if I were Modi I wont comment on another religions practice..it could not end well for anyone.

Its better to let Muslims or any Non Hindu to decide best for themselves.

In my opinion, Talaq and divorces in other faiths are not comparable. In other faiths there is a legal support. One cannot simply discard a lady. He has to undergo certain legal procedures due to which rights of both persons involved is rightly balanced. Here it is a one side affair. Poor lady may be out of the house to fetch some groceries and she may get an SMS of three Ts. People are objecting to these kind of activities only.
yes that's where law has to interfere. In Hinduism role of religion and law has its own demarcated limits so far as issues like marriage is concerned.

It is right that this bein a sensitive issue needs to be handled with care. But again since these poor ladies are also honourable citizens of India, they also have protection of the provisions of rules under constituion of India. Can the male counter parts of their community be allowed to suppress their lawful rights?

Last edited:
Good one, Bala ji, I was searching for this article, could not lay hand to it.

Ganesh Ji

Thank you.. :)

I would like to emphasis:

Given that a large section of Muslim women has been demanding an end to triple talaq, brought out through several opinion polls, the AIMPLB’s refusal to reform the Muslim Personal Law on this aspect is ostrich-like. It should study the reforms several Muslim countries have adopted in order to abolish triple talaq.

Read more at: https://scroll.in/article/806299/if...ave-abolished-triple-talaq-why-shouldnt-india

Lot of Muslim women are being pressurized by the husbands to wear burqa. In TN in 70's & 80's, purdah was common only among Urdu speaking Muslims..Now even Tamil Muslim women are forced by their husbands to wear burqa...Will courts intervene in this too??

hi

this particular religious issue....in india...SATI WAS ABOLISHED...even though it is hindu issue...but nobody ready to

I do not understand why supreme court cannot such practices unconstitutional.
I do not understand how Vote Bank politics comes in the way

In my opinion, Talaq and divorces in other faiths are not comparable. In other faiths there is a legal support. One cannot simply discard a lady. He has to undergo certain legal procedures due to which rights of both persons involved is rightly balanced. Here it is a one side affair. Poor lady may be out of the house to fetch some groceries and she may get an SMS of three Ts. People are objecting to these kind of activities only.

yes that's where law has to interfere. In Hinduism role of religion and law has its own demarcated limits so far as issues like marriage is concerned.

It is right that this bein a sensitive issue needs to be handled with care. But again since these poor ladies are also honourable citizens of India, they also have protection of the provisions of rules under constituion of India. Can the male counter parts of their community be allowed to suppress their lawful rights?

Each religion has its flaws..I dont want to sound pro Muslim but my opinions are based on knowledge of Islam cos I stay in a Muslim country....yes at times Talaq seems unfair but at least Muslims encourage widow remarriage..a widow is never treated as inauspicios..she can take part in any religious event..no Amangali stigma..not a lesser child of God in anyones eyes.

So there is good and bad in all religions.

Its the attitude of men who think they can discard women..its not the fault of religion.

Hindus dont have Talaq but yet women are beaten by drunk husbands..girl child aborted..women illtreated..why?

Its the culture of men in general mostly to think they own a woman..Hindu or Muslim or Christian..as long one has a penis..his mind thinks he is superior.

Coming to some complaining that Muslim men want wives to wear
Burqa..why complain?

Isnt this very same crowd that feel females get raped becos they wear western clothes and expose.themselves...so why complain if a woman is asked to cover up?

If a Hindu married women does not don Thali and Pottu..everyone becomes a Thaliban saying Dharma is on decline.
Cos they feel dictates of culture is not being followed.

So let a Muslim women wear a Burqa cos let their Dharma too not decline.

Last edited:
hi

Sati was never a part of Sanathana Dharma..it was merely a cultural practice.

Talaq is part of Islam.

So its a different issue all together.

I sometimes dont get it...when the case of entry of females into Sabarimala was on..many thought The Courts should not interfere in religious matters...so why should the Supreme courts here get involved in Talaq?

There is the Shariah Court to decide on those cases.

We humans should not practice double standards as to feel that no one can question our own religious practices but we have the right to question religious practices of other religion.

The best is to let each religion decide for themselves what is best for them.

An Acharya should be an Acharya and an Ulama should be an Ulama.

No one should try to dictate each others religion.

Last edited:
Women are treated shoddily in all religions.They are always the ones wronged due to patriarchical nature of religions.

Laws relating to putting an end to ill treatment of women and ensuring gender equality ending discrimination and violence should be framed to include women of all religions

Let religious laws not come in the way of relevant legislation.Most such laws are outdated as they were framed in ancient times where women were totally confined to

caves under protection of males and were property of men like cattle etc. They enjoyed a very inferior status.

In new india , they have no relevance.

Going by what is happening around, one may think of getting divorce through Face book, WhatsApp, postcard ....

A sample case of some of other religion treating women...

Hyderabad man sends postcard with ‘triple talaq’ to divorce his wife, gets arrested

The man sent the notice to his second wife while being still legally married to his first wife.

Police in Hyderabad arrested a man for sending a postcard with “triple talaq” to divorce his new wife, even as he is still legally married to his first wife.

The 38-year-old man, Mohammed Haneef, has been charged with ‘harassing’ and cheating his wife, as per a report by Uma Sudhir in NDTV.

Problems reportedly started immediately after marriage with the man accusing his 26-year-old wife, Farheed, of insulting him just a day after the wedding on March 9. After they reportedly got into a fight, the man drank mosquito repellant and was taken to hospital.

The man mailed the "triple talaq" postcard to his address on the eighth day of their marriage.

Read more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...le-talaq-divorce-his-wife-gets-arrested-59826

Religious laws and cultural edicts should not interfere with or supersede the law of the land derived from a given country's constitution.
If religion interferes with the law of the land, then those following the practices should be outlawed. Freedom to practice religion should not mean that they can do unlawful activities.

[h=1]Read the original holy texts and not the translated versions….[/h][h=1]No rule on triple talaq in Quran, says Salma Ansari[/h]AGRA: Vice-President Hamid Ansari's wife Salma Ansari has said that uttering 'talaq' thrice does not amount to divorce and asked Muslim women to read the Quran thoroughly instead of relying on clerics.

In Aligarh to attend a function at a madrassa operated by Al Noor Charitable Society on Saturday, she said, "There is nothing like triple talaq in the Quran and women in India are being misguided over the issue. Read the holy scriptures to clear your doubts."

Talking to reporters on the sidelines of the function, she said, "Triple talaq is not an issue. There can be no 'talaq' just because someone utters talaq, talaq, talaq. There is no such rule in Quran. They have just made it up."

Salma Ansari's views on triple talaq come at a time when there is a nationwide debate on the practice and the validity of triple talaq, 'nikah halala' and polygamy practices among Muslims challenged in the Supreme Court.

She also raised doubts on the interpretation of the Quran by the clerics. "You read the Quran in Arabic and don't read the translation. You accept whatever the maulana (clerics) or the mulla says. You must read the Quran, read Hadis. Just see what Rasool had said," she said. Women must have the courage to read the Quran by themselves and introspect, she said.

Read more at: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...an-says-salma-ansari/articleshow/58100378.cms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back