• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thoughts on debating guidelines and etiquette to make this forum even more useful

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

Code:
[QUOTE="renukakarthikayan, post: 79780, member: 7604"]click on this link..here to get a picture how 
things are debated 
here.

[URL="http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10"]Philosophy [/URL]
[URL="http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10"]- Hindu Dharma Forums
[/URL][/QUOTE]

Smt Renu 

Thanks for providing reference to another forum.

I think opposing view points, when presented with scholarly analysis, with 
maturity reflected in the approach to presentation and with responses that shows 
understanding of the previous points will make for a very interesting forum discussion.

This forum is capable of rising to these levels consistently even if there 
may be a discordant note here and there. 

I would like a thread on what makes a great debate, how forum members can 
self moderate themselves and how members can make this an exemplary forum in all 
topic areas. Perhaps I will start such a thread since the topic of this thread 
is different and share my thoughts. I would be interested in learning what 
others have to say

Regards

Based on recent discussions in other threads recently it seemed that a discussion/debate on what makes for a great debating platform would be useful to make this forum even more useful.

We seem to have many members who are regular contributors. Some are very knowledgeable in some areas and learning in other areas from what I am able to sense. In topics such as religion and politics conflicting viewpoints will arise which when debated properly is very useful to everyone. In the absense of conflicts one cannot have an interesting forum discussion.

The forum rules are minimal and we all want to abide by them. This discussion here has nothing to do with forum rules. Moderators do a thankless job in my view. The forum owner has done a phenomenal service by creating this platform for us to grow in our knowledge.

By being members it seems to me that we have a responsibility to do self-moderation based on a set of guidelines, etiquettes and tips. Again these should not contradict existing forum rules.

I am not claiming any answers but would like to hear from people what works for you.

We want to have vigorous debates. We want to do that without hurting anyone.

Let me start off by a suggestion or two,

• Take ownership when presenting point of view unless something is established as a universally accepted fact. For example if you think Sri Sankara has really gotten away in his commentary regarding Advita with claims that do not make sense, then please state that "In my view or in my understanding I am not sure how Sri Sankara is able to ..... etc etc" The idea is that you can state any idea and take on historical figures with respect and by stating even at the point of being redundant that it is your idea. If you admit you have confusion that is fine. There are some who may preface by saying that "I may be slow to get or whatever" but that may come across as sarcastic.
  • Going after wrong ideas presented should be fair game in my view. However you cannot express the points as an attack on the person since the person is greater than the idea.
  • Please recognize the following pattern and call the pattern out - A strongly worded response is provided by person A to person B. Person B turns around and re-interprets or over-interprets the 'attack' on an issue as an attack on him or her (that is person B). The person B plays victim and escalates the situation.
  • When one gives references that are questionable - say a blog that does not have credibility - it does reflect (poorly) on the poster's points of arguments. Wikipedia references are *sometimes* not very valid since many of those can be changed by any one of us. It is an evolving reference to content that is being modified by readers all the time.
  • More than simple Sir,Madam, ji,Dear etc our posting has to reflect those feelings to the person even while making strong points
  • If somone does not play fair stop interacting with them. Better yet deal with them directly one on one in a PM to reach resolution
I did not mean to lecture anyone using the style above. Feel free to critique the above and kindly contribute what you think has worked and not worked

Regards

Dear TKS,

Good thread you started.

I will start of the 1st question for everyone to ponder(many here might be older to me but please dont take it as if I am acting beyond my age here and lecturing others..please take what I write here as sharing thoughts in the TB forum family)

1st Q: Why did we join TB forum?

I would like if everyone could just share their thoughts here.

I will state my reason for joining.

I joined TB forum when I came across it by chance and went through some of the post and thought Ok..looks nice..and I joined becos I wanted to learn more about religion too and thought with frequent Q and A types of Forum I could share and gain knowledge.

I have seen other Forums too but many other Forum members just Copy,Click and Circulate info without much of a debate.
In that manner we dont really exchange thoughts so its a bit bland.

Hindu Dharma Forum is a good forum where you have Q and A method of sharing but its slightly formal.

TB forum is less formal and its fun actually but sometimes we have serious battles where some might just chose to stop debating or even leave.

I just hope members will write here why they joined Forum to start with.

TKS why dont you answer 1st?

The way you debate reflects the person in you. In my mind the single most important attribute for a great debate has therefore to do with the maturity of the persons involved. Whenever there is ego, you begin to see things that are not there and therefore feel compelled to attack the other person.

I think conflicts and the consequent attacks and counter attacks whether justified or not tend to happen not only in a debate but also in all day to day interactions. I agree there is the element of learning too. But that happens at the early stage of your life and very rarely later.

One more point I would like to highlight is we as members should try not to think that we are doing the world a favour by either thinking "I am going to save the world from Religion & God" or think "I am going to save the world from Non Believers & the Devil".

Only Self can help Self.

Last edited:
One more point I would like to highlight is we as members should try not to think that we are doing the world a favour by either thinking "I am going to save the world from Religion & God" or think "I am going to save the world from Non Believers & the Devil".

Only Self can help Self.

Dear Renuka,

I think people should work in accordance with their goals and convictions as it is only by interaction with the external world that the benighted self learns.

Dear TKS,

Good thread you started.

I will start of the 1st question for everyone to ponder(many here might be older to me but please dont take it as if I am acting beyond my age here and lecturing others..please take what I write here as sharing thoughts in the TB forum family)

1st Q: Why did we join TB forum?

I would like if everyone could just share their thoughts here.

I will state my reason for joining.

I joined TB forum when I came across it by chance and went through some of the post and thought Ok..looks nice..and I joined becos I wanted to learn more about religion too and thought with frequent Q and A types of Forum I could share and gain knowledge.

I have seen other Forums too but many other Forum members just Copy,Click and Circulate info without much of a debate.
In that manner we dont really exchange thoughts so its a bit bland.

Hindu Dharma Forum is a good forum where you have Q and A method of sharing but its slightly formal.

TB forum is less formal and its fun actually but sometimes we have serious battles where some might just chose to stop debating or even leave.

I just hope members will write here why they joined Forum to start with.

TKS why dont you answer 1st?

I happen to discover this forum while searching for something else. I joined without any expectations.

I liked the looks with Om in Tamil splashed all over. I am impressed with the ability of posters to communicate their ideas, often with passion in English and in Tamil where appropriate. I like the fact that there are many topic areas.

I think debates are fun - my children (grown up - in college) think that I love to waste time debating for the sake of debating without adding much value
icon7.png
.. They are exposed to TB culture though born and raised in America, exposed to Gita/Vedanta/slokas etc while growing up, can speak & read Tamil etc. I could not interest them in the forum after they browsed some of the posts in the General Discussion.

I thought that this forum should be appealing to next generation children who speak Tamil, who are trying to learn about Sanathana Dharma etc. I think debates enhance quality of a forum content. Hence I wanted to hear what others have to say as to how to improve the quality of the debates.

After seeing some of the posting in reituals, slokas etc I am truly impressed with the level of information many of our members are bringing to the forum . It will be nice if we are able to to attract true scholars to contribute in areas of discussion suich as Advita, Dwita etc.

Having said this I have no real expectations - largely I have liked the interactions thus far including those few that tended to have a discordant note! If I have time I will contribute when I can

Regards

I was away for a day and saw a lot of postings dealing with moderation. I want to add this to this list of guidelines I can think of.

It is this - Please do not question moderators in the forum itself - rather take it in private messages to work this out.
Having played moderation role in some areas in my life, my sense is that most moderators would like to effect change by influence rather than by explicit act of moderation like banning someone or edit a post. It is a thankless of job and a forum that self governs is a greatest thing.

The moderator has to be seen as effective not because of the authority vested due to forum rules but because the membership respects that role. Therefore challenges to a decision or a statement in a post are best taken up in private until it is resolved. If it is not resolvable then I would say leave without making a fuss.

Self disclosure and Personal Integrity

We cannot expect any forum guidelines and moderation action to encourage postings that reflect a sense of personal integrity which is needed for good discussions to proceed in my view.

This forum by its very name attracts people who are raised in what they may self identify as Tamil Brahmins regardless of the reasons they may have for that identity. Given the nature of some of the topics discussed it attracts people who call themselves Hindus from all over the world

The forum membership is not limited to anyone and all one needs is a computer and internet connection to be a member. All ideas are welcome here and I applaud the forum creator and the moderators for enabling such an open environment.

However the discussions in my view are more effective if the participants do more self disclosures proactively and voluntarily about their own religious upbringing and political leanings and history if there is an evolution in these areas over time. There are many that have self identified their own background voluntarily and I applaud them for their courage.

It is an act of lack of integrity in my view to hide behind the rights accorded to privacy by the forum moderators when a person attacks and criticizes religious ideas and practices expressed here without voluntarily disclosing how they were themselves raised and where they stand today. If they are not Hindu, it is an act of integrity to self-declare those details up front. Not doing so while attacking religious ideas of those who have declared their religious identity is an act of cowardice in my view.

If what I have stated is not right I can be corrected1

We cannot expect any forum guidelines and moderation action to encourage postings that reflect a sense of personal integrity which is needed for good discussions to proceed in my view.

This forum by its very name attracts people who are raised in what they may self identify as Tamil Brahmins regardless of the reasons they may have for that identity. Given the nature of some of the topics discussed it attracts people who call themselves Hindus from all over the world

The forum membership is not limited to anyone and all one needs is a computer and internet connection to be a member. All ideas are welcome here and I applaud the forum creator and the moderators for enabling such an open environment.

However the discussions in my view are more effective if the participants do more self disclosures proactively and voluntarily about their own religious upbringing and political leanings and history if there is an evolution in these areas over time. There are many that have self identified their own background voluntarily and I applaud them for their courage.

It is an act of lack of integrity in my view to hide behind the rights accorded to privacy by the forum moderators when a person attacks and criticizes religious ideas and practices expressed here without voluntarily disclosing how they were themselves raised and where they stand today. If they are not Hindu, it is an act of integrity to self-declare those details up front. Not doing so while attacking religious ideas of those who have declared their religious identity is an act of cowardice in my view.

If what I have stated is not right I can be corrected1

I second this suggestion.Good post.It will be nice to learn about other religions too from Non Hindu members.
I remember once we have a Vietnamese girl by the user name "The Blues" she used to share her thoughts with us about her desire to know TB culture and shared her vietnamese culture too and she had also asked a few relevant questions about religion too.
I hope she starts posting again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back