• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

This might be the story of all upward mobile person of Indian descent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
YSR did not hide his xtianity. it was his grandpa who converted to evangelical xtianity.

during the 1800s, large numbers of bengali brahmins converted to anglican xtianity. these were essentially the first wave of bengali babus, ie folks employed by the east india company. these admired and followed the lifestyles of the british, and one aspect of it, was switching over to the rulilng religion.

i had a classmate edwin chatterjee. arthur lal was a high level govt official.

nowadays, most do not change their names. like bhoopathy the tennis player or kripal singh the cricketer.

personally i think, that the xtian or muslim who gets to be the chief minister, is primarily because the vast numbers of electorate do not care about the religion of the rulers. they are more concerned about who can provide them with good governance, and i think, someone from the minority, might be more inclined to govern well, just because of that status. just my thoughts on that...

during the 1800s, large numbers of bengali brahmins converted to anglican xtianity. these were essentially the first wave of bengali babus, ie folks employed by the east india company. these admired and followed the lifestyles of the british, and one aspect of it, was switching over to the rulilng religion.

Are any of these lot the current day anglo indians who trace their roots to those parts? No wonder I have some anglo indian acquaintances, when they knew my caste said they were "suppoed to be Brahmins" too. These are the staunchest of RCs you'd ever find. I just had to supress my laughter!!

Are any of these lot the current day anglo indians who trace their roots to those parts? No wonder I have some anglo indian acquaintances, when they knew my caste said they were "suppoed to be Brahmins" too. These are the staunchest of RCs you'd ever find. I just had to supress my laughter!!

no, anglo indians, are nominally of mixed race, indian and any european, born under the british rule. these were a privileged group, with certain jobs reserved for them, eg. railways, jail dept, police, posts & telegraphs..as the british figured these were more loyal to the raj than indians.

even among anglo indians, there is stratifications - the fair skinned ones, looked down on the darker cousins. during the white australia policy of the 1950s, 60, fair skinned anglo indians, used to produce birth certificate of a british father (usually it was the father who was white) and got accepted to go oz. :)

i myself went to an anglo indian school and lived in a catholic neighbourhood with large percentage of anglo indians. in retrospect, i have never met a protesant. all of them were catholics, and fervently so, considering how anti catholic the british were.

ofcourse there were more portuguese and spanish names than anglo saxon.

interestingly, one whole agraharam in tiruchi converted to catholicism early 20th century. the soft drink maker vincent was one of those families. one of my neighbours in madras was descended from there. they kept aloof of most other christians, and had a chip on their shoulders due to their 'high caste' :)

YSR did not hide his xtianity. it was his grandpa who converted to evangelical xtianity.

personally i think, that the xtian or muslim who gets to be the chief minister, is primarily because the vast numbers of electorate do not care about the religion of the rulers. they are more concerned about who can provide them with good governance, and i think, someone from the minority, might be more inclined to govern well, just because of that status. just my thoughts on that...

K,

I wish I could agree with you.

Caste (and Religion) plays a major role in India, especially in States like A.P. One has to be a Reddu or Naidu. Most businessmen are Reddys.

"Good Governance" - Indians have no experience of it. The "upwardly mobile" know what it is and the masses do not even know what it is. Both have never had good governance. And then to say someone from a minority religion might be more inclined to govern well....... What makes you think so?

K,

I wish I could agree with you.

Caste (and Religion) plays a major role in India, especially in States like A.P. One has to be a Reddu or Naidu. Most businessmen are Reddys.

"Good Governance" - Indians have no experience of it. The "upwardly mobile" know what it is and the masses do not even know what it is. Both have never had good governance. And then to say someone from a minority religion might be more inclined to govern well....... What makes you think so?

siva,

please put the emphasis on 'more inclined', mainly because, i thought, that a minority may feel more vulnerable, because he does not have a huge caste base.

i agree with you, in a.p. it has to be a naidu or reddy to be a c.m., a patel in gujarat or lingayat in karnataka. and so on. not sure, if the hindu reddys considered ysr a reddy first and then xtian or vice versa. the xtians regardless of caste, would have considered him their own. the rumour was that his brother was intent on spreading the gospel. ysr was a politicians who wanted power.

ysr had a vision, and one of the best ideas ever seen for dev of southern a.p. is to piggy back on chennai. and encourage sez along tamil nadu border, same what tn did along karnataka border at hosur, years ago.

i have heard only good things about ysr admin, and i was under the impression, that he was congress' answer to modi.

K

Just to continue with the voting pattern of Indians....

I have had personal experience with farmers whose choice for vote was someone who would write-off their loans.
I know Govt. employees who would vote for someone who they believe would "take care " of them.
The housewives vote against the ruling party (due to price rise)
The rural masses vote based on emotions (out of propaganda) and local issues
"Educated" (Should I say urban literates?) are influenced by media

So, no one, in my opinion, is voting for "good governance" for they don't know what it is. Poor Indians have to choose between the devils and demons.:tinfoil3:

K

Just to continue with the voting pattern of Indians....

I have had personal experience with farmers whose choice for vote was someone who would write-off their loans.
I know Govt. employees who would vote for someone whome they believe would "take care " of them.
The housewives vote against the ruling party (due to prise rise)
The rural masses vote based on emotions (out of propaganda) and local issues
"Educated" (Should I say urban literates?) are influenced by media
So, no one, in my opinion, is voting for "good governance" for they don't know what it is.

There is one more category you forgot...that dont vote at all.
I have never voted in my life.
No interest in politics at all cos no matter who you vote once power gets to their heads..its same of story again.
So why waste my time lining up to vote.

Yeah, the non-voters.... I wanted to talk about the preference of people who vote.

Renu, since you are a Vijayakant fan, why don't you vote for him, if u hv voting in India?:happy:

Yeah, the non-voters.... I wanted to talk about the preference of people who vote.

Renu, since you are a Vijayakant fan, why don't you vote for him, if u hv voting in India?:happy:

I cant vote in India cos I am not a citizen there but if I were citizen I would vote for the handsome Haridasa Siva!!
Hey you know you will get all the Brahmin votes becos of your name..Your name has both Vishnu and Shiva in it so Iyer and Iyengar votes will be yours!!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back