• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thengai moodi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear/Respected all,

I would like to know the reason for the query for which I failed to seek the reasons (just missed out being general in practice) when I was in India/Chennai..

Generally whenever we do "Archanai" or "Abhishekam" in temple, at the end we offer some of the things to the Vathiyar in return along with "Dhakshanai. These are -

1) Beatle leaves and Beatle nuts
2) Banana (as generally used)
3) Both the parts of the coconut or just 1 part of Coconut (Oru Moodi)

- When we give “Oru moodi” of the coconut, the Vathiyar insists us to give only that "Moodi" that does not bear three eye like marks "Kannu illaadha Moodi".

I am curious to know as what would be the reason for such practices by vathiyars. I believe it must be having some vedic reasons.

I would like to spice up this thread with vivid views and openions from all the members who could feel this thread interesting and would like to contribute.

to Sri C.Ravi, Kannu illadha moodi,you can use it for 2 to 3 days and Kan Moodi will get fungues in one day. That is the reson. s.r.k.

Sri SRK ji,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

I could not realize such a practical and logical reason for this.

"Chappundu Poiduthu" :laugh: . Aanaal thripthiyaana badhil. :yo:
----------------------------
Any other religious belief????

i will second esarkey's reply. i was going to say the same thing.

the குடுமி மூடி rots first. who said the vadhyar's are not smart. now if they start giving a philosophical or religious explanation to this, then we know who is doing the spinning! :)

I asked my wife about Sri. Ravi's enquiry. She said
"வேதமாவது புடலங்காயாவது? கண்ணு இல்லாத மூடி உலர்த்தி கொப்பரை ஆக்கலாம். அதான்."

All I know is, our neighbour was (is) a Gurukkal agham. Mammi was very kind to all the children. Some of the recepies I indulged from there were, 'thengai dhosai'; 'thengai chatney'; thengai bharphi'; 'thengai podi'; 'thengai paniyaaram (come to think of it, I have never eaten that anywhere after that. Sri. Ravi, how should I get even with you for making me remember that? Man, I really miss 'thengai paniyaaram'); I hope you get the drift.....

Dear Ravi, Vadhyarkku KANNU PODA PDATHU Hence he avoids Kannu moodi. One vadyar`s wife had asked him when he cam back after rituals with coconut moodi EAN KANNIMOODI (BLINDLY) vanki vanthel? He misunderstood and later on decided not to get Kannu moodi thengai.

If you want other type of answer. We perform all our rituals to get blessings from our forefathers, God and Guru. It is to symbollically tell us that ( OORA)PARVAI of all of forefathers, God and Guru are there . and in thatway they have blessed us. with cheers

i will second esarkey's reply. i was going to say the same thing.

the குடுமி மூடி rots first. who said the vadhyar's are not smart. now if they start giving a philosophical or religious explanation to this, then we know who is doing the spinning! :)

Sri Kunjuppu ji, Ungalodiya posting padikirdhula thaniiiii rusi dhaan :pound:

I asked my wife about Sri. Ravi's enquiry. She said
"வேதமாவது புடலங்காயாவது? கண்ணு இல்லாத மூடி உலர்த்தி கொப்பரை ஆக்கலாம். அதான்."

All I know is, our neighbour was (is) a Gurukkal agham. Mammi was very kind to all the children. Some of the recepies I indulged from there were, 'thengai dhosai'; 'thengai chatney'; thengai bharphi'; 'thengai podi'; 'thengai paniyaaram (come to think of it, I have never eaten that anywhere after that. Sri. Ravi, how should I get even with you for making me remember that? Man, I really miss 'thengai paniyaaram'); I hope you get the drift.....

Sri Raghy mama,

Maami's statement makes me recollect how my mother use to say...

Thank you to list out Thengai receipies. I love all that you have listed. "Nakku la Thanni Uuradhu". Dubai la hotel sapaaddu saapattu saapattu Nakku seththu pochu, Vairu Venthu Pochu"

From my child hood I have a craze for Thegai Bharphi. When I go on vacation on coming January, I would ask my mother to prepate that for me.

Dear Ravi, Vadhyarkku KANNU PODA PDATHU Hence he avoids Kannu moodi. One vadyar`s wife had asked him when he cam back after rituals with coconut moodi EAN KANNIMOODI (BLINDLY) vanki vanthel? He misunderstood and later on decided not to get Kannu moodi thengai.

- Very interesting story :pound:
If you want other type of answer. We perform all our rituals to get blessings from our forefathers, God and Guru. It is to symbollically tell us that ( OORA)PARVAI of all of forefathers, God and Guru are there . and in thatway they have blessed us. with cheers

- Very Very Very informative message. Hats off to you sir.:yo:

Sri K R Subramanian ji,

I feel my belief that there must be some vedic reasons behind this specification seems to have proved positively.

Thank you soooooo much...............

Last edited:
thengai moodi

dear all respectable members who participeting this disscussion
namaskaram.

The thengai is the sign of subham. in the house if thannam maram erinda rombha nalludu solova. thenga kuluthu lendu varudu . kannu vachiraku thenga vituley vachineranda athu mullama puthu sari valarutharku karanama iruko. pin padhi upayogama irukadanaley athe vadhyar ku kuruthurata kurumbha vridhi perpose naley athe vitaley vachikarom . this is what i know if any vedic region is there i will get you back again. ;but kindala pesaradu avalo uchitam ille na nanikaren.
thank you
om arunachaleswaraya namaha

Dear/Respected all,

- When we give “Oru moodi” of the coconut, the Vathiyar insists us to give only that "Moodi" that does not bear three eye like marks "Kannu illaadha Moodi".

I am curious to know as what would be the reason for such practices by vathiyars. I believe it must be having some vedic reasons.

I would like to spice up this thread with vivid views and openions from all the members who could feel this thread interesting and would like to contribute.

Kannu illaada moodi mattum alla "kudumai illada moodi", namma kudumai vittachchu utleast tangai kudumaiyadaru namakku irukkattum enrudaan. (Just Kidding)

It is only that, after all pooja we should share some part of prasadam with relatives / others. As somany occassion, we may not be in position to distribute / will not find suitable around, this will be given to the vadhyar itself as he will the only person available immediately.

Meanwhile in the noble thought of "good to be given" as per our culture, good portion will be given to him & kannu moodi will be kept with us as it may get spoiled early.

Panam,
L.Srinivas

ravi,

one suggestion, which i think is a 'life skill', i would like to share with you.

ie the joy of cooking.

ravi, i understand that it is the norm of TB bachelors to patronize the mess in their neighbourhood, and talk fondly of marriage in the context of home cooked food.

sir, in this day and age, why don't you be among the ones to change the norms. start making your own food.

there are several reasons for doing so. the chief among them, is the sense of achievement at seeing the raw rice, paruppu, coconut, spices, vegetables, oil all coagulate and take shape into the forms tasty morsels and sauces.

after 35 years, i still get a special thrill, in making thayir. i do not know how to explain the thrill of adding a spoonful of old thayir to warm milk at bedtime, and looking forward to the next morning, to fresh dainty smelling thayir. sometimes, i get so crazy, that i have to get a spoonful right away to savour the not-yet sour but still sweet thayir :)

the next reason is one of health. even though dubai has good health regulations, i think, home cooked food is what you know went in the preparation. one can never be sure of restaurant made meals.

i will not talk about the cost. in dubai, maybe it makes sense to eat hotel food as the prices are reasonable and there is enough competition to provide quality and variety.

i reserve the best reason to the last. you cannot imagine the pleasure of your future spouse, at the sight of freshly made food when she comes homes from work. that delight, i guarantee you sir, will be rewarded in several kujili sessions. i am talking from experience here, hee hee.

if need be, we can start a thread: intiation of ravi to tamil cooking. begin with aana, aavanna.....................

dear all respectable members who participeting this disscussion
namaskaram.

The thengai is the sign of subham. in the house if thannam maram erinda rombha nalludu solova. thenga kuluthu lendu varudu . kannu vachiraku thenga vituley vachineranda athu mullama puthu sari valarutharku karanama iruko. pin padhi upayogama irukadanaley athe vadhyar ku kuruthurata kurumbha vridhi perpose naley athe vitaley vachikarom . this is what i know if any vedic region is there i will get you back again. ;but kindala pesaradu avalo uchitam ille na nanikaren.
thank you
om arunachaleswaraya namaha

Sri Sundar ji,

Absolutely true...

Thank you very much for your message.......

Kannu illaada moodi mattum alla "kudumai illada moodi", namma kudumai vittachchu utleast tangai kudumaiyadaru namakku irukkattum enrudaan. (Just Kidding)

It is only that, after all pooja we should share some part of prasadam with relatives / others. As somany occassion, we may not be in position to distribute / will not find suitable around, this will be given to the vadhyar itself as he will the only person available immediately.

Meanwhile in the noble thought of "good to be given" as per our culture, good portion will be given to him & kannu moodi will be kept with us as it may get spoiled early.

Panam,
L.Srinivas

Sri L.Srinivas ji,

Perfect. A very noble and thoughtful message.

Thank you for your comments...

ravi,

one suggestion, which i think is a 'life skill', i would like to share with you.

ie the joy of cooking.

ravi, i understand that it is the norm of TB bachelors to patronize the mess in their neighbourhood, and talk fondly of marriage in the context of home cooked food.

sir, in this day and age, why don't you be among the ones to change the norms. start making your own food.

there are several reasons for doing so. the chief among them, is the sense of achievement at seeing the raw rice, paruppu, coconut, spices, vegetables, oil all coagulate and take shape into the forms tasty morsels and sauces.

after 35 years, i still get a special thrill, in making thayir. i do not know how to explain the thrill of adding a spoonful of old thayir to warm milk at bedtime, and looking forward to the next morning, to fresh dainty smelling thayir. sometimes, i get so crazy, that i have to get a spoonful right away to savour the not-yet sour but still sweet thayir :)

the next reason is one of health. even though dubai has good health regulations, i think, home cooked food is what you know went in the preparation. one can never be sure of restaurant made meals.

i will not talk about the cost. in dubai, maybe it makes sense to eat hotel food as the prices are reasonable and there is enough competition to provide quality and variety.

i reserve the best reason to the last. you cannot imagine the pleasure of your future spouse, at the sight of freshly made food when she comes homes from work. that delight, i guarantee you sir, will be rewarded in several kujili sessions. i am talking from experience here, hee hee.

if need be, we can start a thread: intiation of ravi to tamil cooking. begin with aana, aavanna.....................

Sri Kunjuppu ji,

You are correct. We brahmin guys should also have the penchant in cooking and help our Sundaris who are all putting lot of efforts in today’s challenging work environment. And it would be apt to say - "Sundari Neeyum; Sundaran gnyaanum; Cheanthu Irunthaal Thiru Vonum......"

Sir, I love cooking, my brother too... We consider it as an art and not as a work. We could cook also...no all...just very few...Like Vaththal Kozhumbu, Sambar, Rasam, Kari, Tomato and Lime rice.

Here in Dubai we both are in Bachelors accommodation where cooking is not allowed and there is no provision. We are really grumbling on this inability almost every day. Over and above we don't get time as well. Perhaps if we have cooking provisions than we could cook as and when time permits and during holidays and enjoy eating. Simple "Paruppu Saadham with Ingi Thogayal", "Curd rice with More Mulagai", "Vaththal Kozhumbi with Appalam/Naarthangai" would be enough to get the real feel of having eaten.

Hotel foods are not at all tasty sir. Here surrounding our place of residence in Bur Dubai we have Vasantha Bhavan, Saravana Bhavan, Sangeetha and other north Indian Vegetarian restourants near by. But we can not relish the taste.

Here in Dubai we bachelors (with out cooking possibilities) are eating food just for the name sake without enjoying them. In fact we feel irritated to go to the hotel, make selection, and keep requesting the servers repeatedly to serve whatever we need.

Veetu Sapaadu maathiri varaathu. Naakku cheththu poiduthu

Last edited:
ravi,

i do not know much about 'bachelor' dubai. all my relatives are married and live in apartments.

cannot you and a couple of others, share an apartment. i am aware of the horrendous rents there, but even a two bed room apartment, can be shared by 4 guys.

would that not be affordable? i have relatives living in abu dhabi, where they get the fresh coconut shredded and (my favourite) koorkai with the skin peeled. such service. 24 hours a day!

is not dubai of the same calibre re service?

even a simple rice with the sweet buttermilk that you get there, plus நார்த்தங்காய் ஊறுகாய், once a few days, is more refreshing than the store bought 10 course meals. no?

i too enjoy cooking. not only does it provide relief to my wife-boss, but she uses it also as a brag line sometimes at her work. :)

best wishes...

I do not how many of the fellow members know about the preparation made by reboiling the leftover sambar especially with keerai,thohaiyal etc.of the previous day.In Telugu it is known as Saddi Pulusu.It is simply divine in taste and is a splendid side dish for the curd rice particularly when taken as palaya saadam.In my child hood days this item would be kept ready so that children do not grumble to eat palaya saadam and demand dosai or idli for their breakfast which are mostly for the elders.This item used to be prepared in kal chatti which facilitates further flavour and taste.

ravi,

i do not know much about 'bachelor' dubai. all my relatives are married and live in apartments.

cannot you and a couple of others, share an apartment. i am aware of the horrendous rents there, but even a two bed room apartment, can be shared by 4 guys.

would that not be affordable? i have relatives living in abu dhabi, where they get the fresh coconut shredded and (my favourite) koorkai with the skin peeled. such service. 24 hours a day!

is not dubai of the same calibre re service?

even a simple rice with the sweet buttermilk that you get there, plus நார்த்தங்காய் ஊறுகாய், once a few days, is more refreshing than the store bought 10 course meals. no?

i too enjoy cooking. not only does it provide relief to my wife-boss, but she uses it also as a brag line sometimes at her work. :)

best wishes...

Sri Kunjuppu ji,

Offcourse....Dubai is of the same calibre regarding service as that of Abu Dhabi..

Joining 4 like minded good people to share accommodtion with a strict rule of not cooking any non-veg. stuffs, almost seems impossible...

The only solution would be to get married off soon and live with a wife in a appartment and that seems to be day dreaming and like trying to bring a star down to Earth.

:confused:

Almost all our guys are experts in cooking. There will be only a few exceptional cases.

Anyhow coming to the matter of the thread, Smashing the coconut is symbolic of annihilating the ego and humbling oneself before God. When ever a work of magnitude is undertaken it is natural for the persons involved to feel a sense of pride at what they are setting out to achieve or what they have achieved. This ritual indicates that the actual “doer” is God and humans are merely instruments in his hands.

Also, the coconut itself was considered as "GOD", in particular shiva with three-eyes. It is symbolically represented that the eyed-part (god) is with us and the left-over other portion we provide to the (Vadhyar???) Gurukkal as a compliment. All the jokes are Ok. But there should be something behind that na...certainly the reason is not for chutney purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back