• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

the modern (tamil) brahmins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know for sure how the Buddhists and Jains became extinct in Tamilnadu. In fact, both of them contributed to Tamil language and culture (between them Jains have contributed more). Some literature exists about killing the persons of the other religions who were defeated in debates/arguments, by putting them on the sharp stakes (Kazhumarams).

But, I do not think Brahmins were the only ones to be blamed for this heinous crime.

Whatever said and done, majority of the brahmins by their very nature are satviks
(endha vambu thumbukkum pogthavarkal). They do not indulge in violence or crime.
They do not support violence either.

With a few exceptions here and there, don't paint the entire community with the same brush.
That's my humble request.

anandb,

thank you for your extensive reply.

please give me time to think over your response. i do not wish to individually parse it, as we have thoda different ways of thinking, i believe.

my take on your whole post, is one of completely different logical and philosophical approach. it is perhaps on this point, that i wish to dwell, if you don't mind.. as everything else flows out of this thala-kaveri origins.

perhaps, if and when, my current root crystallizes into a more cogent noteworthy post, i will submit it at some point.

best wishes and good to see you all over here :)

No where in Tamil Literature, it is stated that Brahmins killed Jains and Buddhists. It is only stated that Jains were defeated in the debates by Brahimins. Sambandhar's Madurai episode is an example.

Thirunavukkarasar was a born jain converted to Saiva faith. But he was put into lot of hardship by jains when he changed his faith.

Brahmins were not rulers and only the Kshatriya - Chera, Chola, Pandia kings gave judgements to punish jains.

Jainism accepts three varnas - kshatriya,Vaishya and Sudra. It doesn't accept Brahmin Varna.

Between AD 50 and AD 600 plus jains have captured power of the three tamil kingdoms and ruined. Only after Azhwar and Nayanmar period 7th to 9th century, the Jainism lost its faithfuls due to work of Azhwars and Nayanmars. They have achieved it mostly by debates. Azhwars & Nayanmars hail from all communities including dalits and hence Brahmin community alone could not be blamed for whatever happened during that time.

Thank you, Shri. Kunjippu. As long as I don't come across as a religious fanatic, well and good for me.

Sri Panchanathan Chandrasekar ji,

Why do you want to preach hatred. In every community, there are few extremist people. Please don't publish such stray incidents in future.

All the best

MORE INSTANCES ARE THERE. I WILL ENLIGHTEN THEM LATER.

We don't want to be enlightened on this topic. Keep it within your self.

All the best

Quote from msg 33 "All this is made up anyway, let us get rid of religion and in its place put love and justice for all"

This is a welcome sign.It may sound a bit Utopian ,But this should be the ultimate goal for humanity.

But can it happen?Even establishments perpetrate divisions of some sort.

Even in the best society differences on some or other count will be there.Only if all become innately unselfish only the ideal situation will happen.Other wise whatever be the case, as George Orwell wrote " Some are more equal than others".

But what is wrong in indulging in that wish?

greetings toall

Beware - A word of caution !

While this thread is making way to give suggestions and creating codes for a modern brahmin living , I have an opinion that some posters may have noble intentions of provoking conflicts between Iyer and iyengar and gain sadistic pleasure out of this !
Hope the poster's look into this aspect and give a dumb ear to such provocations !
This only reflects the jealousy towards our brahmin community !

pancha,

we do not permit such vitriol against other communities. once more, and your i.d. will be banned.

pancha,

we do not permit such vitriol against other communities. once more, and your i.d. will be banned.

The egos are so fragile comments that provide comic relief hurt them, the self-esteem is a glass precariously placed at the edge of the table, a little whiff and it falls down and breaks into thousand pieces... parental attention is needed and the flock needs constant protection.

Sorry, if I seem harsh, but this Mr. Iyer does not seem to be a trouble maker out to have fun, it just seems to me he is a little misinformed... Grow a little thicker skin I say, let the man make a fool of himself if he wants to....

Cheers!

The egos are so fragile comments that provide comic relief hurt them, the self-esteem is a glass precariously placed at the edge of the table, a little whiff and it falls down and breaks into thousand pieces... parental attention is needed and the flock needs constant protection.

Sorry, if I seem harsh, but this Mr. Iyer does not seem to be a trouble maker out to have fun, it just seems to me he is a little misinformed... Grow a little thicker skin I say, let the man make a fool of himself if he wants to....

Cheers!

nara,

you have a kinder way of looking at pancha's post.

to me, with the moderator cap on, he is an impostor, who does not respect forum values. there are few others here of the same sort, who graze in, munch the grass, leave their droppings and leave ..... only to visit us again ...

i may be looking through the same glass as yours if i were not the moderator.

thanks.

Last edited:
to Sri Nara, Kollidam means excuss water flow thro the river not Killing place.s.r.k.

Dear Sir, please see "Life of Sri Ramanuja" published by Sri Ramakrishna Math. The episode I cited is narrated in this book. Again, I don't know how much of this is literal and how much figurative, but 1000 "thieves" were supposed to have been murdered at that time in this river called கொல்லிடம் or கொள்ளிடம் whatever may be the name.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back