• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The God Particle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends,

You all know that Scientists have recently claimed to have discovered the atom/particle that created the universe. I am giving below extracts from a mail I received on the subject and the Indian connection on this discovery.

Indian connection to the God particle: From scientific expertise to Shiva's dance

"Who knows for certain? Who shall here declare it?
Whence was it born, whence came creation?
The gods are later than this world's formation;
Who then can know the origins of the world?
None knows whence creation arose;
And whether he has or has not made it;
He who surveys it from the lofty skies,
Only he knows- or perhaps he knows not."
- The Rig Veda (X:129)

It's being hailed as the biggest scientific discovery of the 21st century. After 50 years of searching - scientists have finally found the Higgs boson - commonly called the God particle. A Nobel prize winner, Leon Lederman, had actually called it the "God-damn" particle - because it was so hard to find. Scientists tracked it down thanks to the largest, most expensive experiment in history. Some would say it was an attempt to peek into the mind of God.

Now let us look at the Indian connection. You all know that Dr.Bose was deeply involved in the research. The connection does not end there.

Of more than 2000 scientists working at The Large Hadron Collider, at least 200 were from India. India also contributed almost $25 million to the project.

There's more. Inside the 27 kilometre long tunnel are almost 1,232 cryo-magnets, that are crucial for accurately guiding protons around the ring. Each magnet weighs almost 32 tonne and each sits on extremely accurate motion positioning systems developed, among other places, at the Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT) in Indore, India.

Delhi University developed special sensors for the Compact Muon Solenoid or CMS detector inside the tunnel. CMS played a crucial role in ultimately detecting the Higgs boson.

Indian institutes like Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai; Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Trombay; Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP), Kolkata; RRCAT, Indore; Benares Hindu University and the universities of Delhi, Jaipur and Punjab were connected to CERN in Geneva by fibre optic cables.
They were part of a new, super-fast, worldwide Internet called the grid - which was used to analyse data from the experiment. Almost 15 petabytes of data (1 petabyte is quadrillion bytes or 1,000 terabytes) was generated every year at CERN. If that data was recorded on CDs and stacked up, it would form a pile of compact discs 12 miles high. Distributing it among universities in India and elsewhere, helped process the data faster.

Professor Jim Virdee, one of the founder members of the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) detector in the LHC, is an Englander of Indian Origin. Professor Archana Sharma is the only Indian to work constantly at CERN for the past 25 years. Professor Vikas Sinha of the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata, designed a special chip that LHC used to process signals. Professor Vinod Chohan was employed by CERN to lead a group of scientists who tested all the magnets in the system.

Indian universities sent not just senior scientists but also PhD students to CERN. These students lived and worked there for up to nine months every year, helping set up a lot of the crucial hardware and software in the machine.

Finally, India's Department of Atomic Energy gifted a two-metre bronze statue of the Nataraja to CERN on June 18, 2004.

What does Nataraja have to do with atoms? In an icon developed in south India by 9th and 10th century artists during the Chola period (880-1279 CE), Nataraja shows the Hindu God Lord Shiva dancing.
Nataraja is shown with four hands that represent the cardinal directions. The left foot is elegantly raised, the right foot tramples illusion and ignorance. The upper left hand holds a flame, The upper right hand holds an hourglass drum or 'dumroo'.

It is believed Shiva's drum produces the first sounds of creation. As ripples of sound course through matter, it comes alive and radiates all around Shiva. But even as he creates and makes matter alive, Shiva is dancing within a ring of fire, signifying the destruction he will soon bring about. In the Hindu religion, Nataraja represents the endless cycle of birth and death.

"Modern physics has shown that the rhythm of creation and destruction is not only manifest in the turn of the seasons and in the birth and death of living creatures but is also the very essence of inorganic matter. For modern physicists, Shiva's dance is the dance of subatomic matter." - Fritjof Capra in the book "The Tao of Physics".

Regards
apsarathy

>>
- The Rig Veda (X:129) <<

Very interesting quote. It says "the gods are later than this world's creation". I think by "gods" it is meant the ancient gods such as indra, agni, varuna, and vayu. In those times they were considered gods with assigned duties such as the control of elements. Whoever wrote the rig veda knew the mini-gods were only agents of a bigger entity but they had to be propitiated as agents of the ultimate entity. Slowly the mini-gods faded into the background ---an evolutionary event, I guess. However, even the ultimate god (whatever we call him) was a creation of man. In Hindu theology man created god in his own image and gave him several names and assigned different duties to suit the times. In all these descriptions the only thing we know is that we don't know much. Lots of speculation. Despite the proof of the discovery of Higgs Boson which is supposed to be the glue between other particles to confer mass and thus holding matter together, there is a lot of unknown yet to be unraveled. Science has made just a little knock on it. However, religion has not done much except to throw a shroud around everything. If we don't know anything about something it is easy to describe it anyway we want. That is what the different religions have done so far.

Now will someone please tell me the meaning of "
Only he knows- or perhaps he knows not"
Are the lofty skies outside the universe or inside? The one who surveys---is he the one who created it? Is he larger than the universe or smaller? If he is larger, then he cannot survey it from the lofty skies. If he is smaller than the universe how come he created something bigger than himself? Where did he get the material for that? Science has a long way to go before finding all the answers. But religion can give the Rx in no time. That is the beauty of Faith. Easy job indeed!

>>
- The Rig Veda (X:129) <<

Very interesting quote. It says "the gods are later than this world's creation". I think by "gods" it is meant the ancient gods such as indra, agni, varuna, and vayu. In those times they were considered gods with assigned duties such as the control of elements. Whoever wrote the rig veda knew the mini-gods were only agents of a bigger entity but they had to be propitiated as agents of the ultimate entity. Slowly the mini-gods faded into the background ---an evolutionary event, I guess. However, even the ultimate god (whatever we call him) was a creation of man. In Hindu theology man created god in his own image and gave him several names and assigned different duties to suit the times. In all these descriptions the only thing we know is that we don't know much. Lots of speculation. Despite the proof of the discovery of Higgs Boson which is supposed to be the glue between other particles to confer mass and thus holding matter together, there is a lot of unknown yet to be unraveled. Science has made just a little knock on it. However, religion has not done much except to throw a shroud around everything. If we don't know anything about something it is easy to describe it anyway we want. That is what the different religions have done so far.

Now will someone please tell me the meaning of "
Only he knows- or perhaps he knows not"
Are the lofty skies outside the universe or inside? The one who surveys---is he the one who created it? Is he larger than the universe or smaller? If he is larger, then he cannot survey it from the lofty skies. If he is smaller than the universe how come he created something bigger than himself? Where did he get the material for that? Science has a long way to go before finding all the answers. But religion can give the Rx in no time. That is the beauty of Faith. Easy job indeed!

The hymn is the Nasadiya Sukta

Check out this link:

http://home.comcast.net/~prasadmail/nAsadeeyasUktam-s.pdf

I wasn't asking for a web source for the hymn. My question was rhetoric--answer embedded in the question that it is all evasive explanation when one is in the dark. Below the quote I reproduced I wrote what is obvious--namely just handwaving and elaborate nothingness.

Did you even read the link?
It gives good explanation and the answer to your question is found there.

Mahakavi I have a song for you...

You see God would have been Dancing with Himself at the beginning and we are yet to understand the Cosmic Dance of Creation to a certain extent.
God is not limited by anything be it time,place or even person.

To your question
If he is smaller than the universe how come he created something bigger than himself? Where did he get the material for that?

Ok lets think at a microcosmic scale..

You created a child your daughter or son for example.

Your son or daughter could be taller to you now..so when you are smaller to your child now..how did you manage to create a person bigger to you?
Where did you get material for that?

I think you can make out the answers now.

You got the material which is inherent in you and the process of development took place.

So same with God.

He is the the Upadhana and Nimitta Karana for creation.

[video=youtube_share;FG1NrQYXjLU]http://youtu.be/FG1NrQYXjLU[/video]

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not ask you to explain. I said I was asking a rhetorical question. I did not ask for an answer from anybody. Again, to repeat, it was a rhetorical question which essentially indicated what I was driving at. Those who speak the language you do always indulge in self-deception and circular logic when there is no straightforward answer. All delusion. I am not interested in any further delusional self-deception. Thank you. End of conversation.

Sorry, I did not ask you to explain. I said I was asking a rhetorical question. I did not ask for an answer from anybody. Again, to repeat, it was a rhetorical question which essentially indicated what I was driving at. Those who speak the language you do always indulge in self-deception and circular logic when there is no straightforward answer. All delusion. I am not interested in any further delusional self-deception. Thank you. End of conversation.

Exactly!! I expected this reply from you.My God I can actually read you like a book.
You know why I gave you that song Dancing with Myself?

There are 2 reasons:

1)To explain my post #5

2)To let you know that with attitude like yours ..you will be soon Dancing With Yourself in Forum.
No one would interact with you!!LOL

Have fun darling..talking to yourself,dancing with yourself and God knows what else you do with yourself.
Oops sorry you are agnostic!! I forgot.So "Only he knows- or perhaps he knows not"

THE END

Last edited:
Exactly!! I expected this reply from you.My God I can actually read you like a book.
You know why I gave you that song Dancing with Myself?

There are 2 reasons:

1)To explain my post #5

2)To let you know that with attitude like yours ..you will be soon Dancing With Yourself in Forum.
No one would interact with you!!LOL

Have fun darling..talking to yourself,dancing with yourself and God knows what else you do with yourself.
Oops sorry you are agnostic!! I forgot.So "Only he knows- or perhaps he knows not"

THE END
I told you I did not need your explanation twice in a row.Still you persist. As for dancing with myself it is much more pleasant and satisfying than dancing with you or any others whom I want to avoid. Of course that kind is only a small number. The vast majority of the forum members are fine. Remember, don't ever get personal with me. Cut all the cozy talk too.

I told you I did not need your explanation twice in a row.Still you persist. As for dancing with myself it is much more pleasant and satisfying than dancing with you or any others whom I want to avoid. Of course that kind is only a small number. The vast majority of the forum members are fine. Remember, don't ever get personal with me. Cut all the cozy talk too.

Hey Don't be delusional.I thought you said end of conversation!
Why are you still replying me?
I have GOOD TASTE in men..so don't worry I won't get personal with you or even want to talk cozy!!LOL

Ma Vadasi!!

Last edited:
The scientists are looking for Dark matter, a sub-atomic particle which constittues
about 80% of the total matter of the universe and about 25% of the mass. They
say it cant be seen but inferred by its effects.

What is this dark matter ? Is there any reference to this in our scriptures ?
People surmise it must br Krishna or Kali who are both black and full of energy !
Is it just some sort of imagination ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back