• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

'God Particle' or 'Higgs Boson' explained - Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Servall

Folks:

Most of us know that scientists today have said that enough data is available to prove existence of the God Particle, or the subatomic particle (prior to big bang) that was the fundamental building block to give it matter for the universe as it exists today.

This creates in my mind many questions as follows:

1. Isnt it something that the world knew already (that something minute as this must have existed and nobody knew where it came from) and that they proved it now, now what?

2. For those of us believers there was this contention this subatomic particle was the creation of God, and how does this Higgs Boson finding impact on this belief?

3. Will this finding negate 'God' or will the concept of God cease to exist?

I didnt bother to post any article or release as everyone can google 'God Particle'!!!

Peace to all !!!!

Folks:

Most of us know that scientists today have said that enough data is available to prove existence of the God Particle, or the subatomic particle (prior to big bang) that was the fundamental building block to give it matter for the universe as it exists today.

1. Isnt it something that the world knew already (that something minute as this must have existed and nobody knew where it came from) and that they proved it now, now what?

2. For those of us believers there was this contention this subatomic particle was the creation of God, and how does this Higgs Boson finding impact on this belief?

I didnt bother to post any article or release as everyone can google 'God Particle'!!!

Peace to all !!!!

Dear Servall:

Here's my two cents -

1. Science, Engineering & Technology and R & D of it meanders in all different ways to understand the mysteries of Nature, as I have said before.. this Higgs Boson is the baby of the scientists who specialize on a specialized area of research - this is a kind of marketing hoopla to attract discussion towards their research! Lol.

2. My own baby is to clone a human being: clone Servall, Sravna, Yamaka etc and show to the world that individuals can be perpetuated forever defeating the very purpose of DEATH... Lol.

3. To the utter disgust of many of the Believers, I have stated "Man Created Religions, which Created ALL Gods" before.

I want to show that Man can create himself and defeat Mortality and the "mystic" power of God!! LOL.

Take care.

Peace.

:)

Folks:

Peace to all !!!!

The subatomic concept is nothing new to Hindu philosophy cos the word Paramanu (Param..beyond) Anu(Atom) has been used several times in some text.
The word Paramanu literally means "beyond the atom" which goes to show the possibility of splitting it to subatomic particles.

I will answer your question No 2 later.

Going to question No 3..The concept of God will cease to exists eventually.
Dont get me wrong!! I am not denying the existence of God.
When realization finally dawns upon us humans we will come to fully understand the meaning of the Mahavakya "Tat Tvam Asi" and the concept of God(as in a personal God) will cease to exist and finally only "Ekam Advaitam Brahman" verily remains.

After all, negation is nothing new to the Vedantin ..."Neti Neti" does ring a bell isnt it?

Last edited:
EVERY DAY WE ARE SHOWN THAT man is Powerless against the fury of Nature - which is GOD in another name.

Man may become immortal and continue to haunt earth and cause havoc in the planet.

He may produce artificial life and make photo copies of himself!

BUT THE VERY BREATH WE TAKE IN IS OUT OF GOD'S GRACE.

It could become THE LAST BREATH.

If it does not , it is God's grace - whether we want to accept it or not.

Men may come and men may go but GOD is there for ever!

Man may become immortal and continue to haunt earth and cause havoc in the planet.

I seriously doubt it (becoming immortal and haunting the earth). After all, the dinosaurs existed and inhabited the earth for 165 million years. They do not haunt the earth anymore. I have a sneaking suspicion that dinos in their heydays would also have nourished the ambition of being on the earth forever, or even outliving the God!!!

Apparently all living things want to live on for ever and ever..
Why did the auras do severe penance and sought boons that apparently made them immortal?
I am sure given the choice, dinosaurs would have preferred to live on the earth till doom's day.

I seriously doubt it (becoming immortal and haunting the earth). After all, the dinosaurs existed and inhabited the earth for 165 million years. They do not haunt the earth anymore. I have a sneaking suspicion that dinos in their heydays would also have nourished the ambition of being on the earth forever, or even outliving the God!!!

Dear Servall,

Coming to your point No 2 you wrote :

Ok I guess most of us have a fixed perception that God created the universe with a magic wand and Lo Behold everything came into being.

Yes I am sure everything came into being but we have to have an open mind to think that God created everything through sequence and thru various processes and even evolution.

In other words what I am trying to say is God started the sequence of action in some sort of code(which we are still trying to figure out) and what we see is the consequence of that initiated action series.

Identifying the so called God Particle does not throw God out of need or out of existence for anyone.

Why should that affect anyone?

The problem only arises if we view Science and God at either end of the spectrum.

Its should never be Science Vs God.

Science is a methodology and God shows us the method by at times giving scientist the 'orignal thought' of experimenting something new for benefit of mankind.
No new discovery actually poses a problem..its only misuse of any discovery which causes problems for mankind and that's a different matter all together.

Identifying the so called God Particle might even make us understand the concept of creation even better and be able to co-relate what we have read in religious text.

I see no problem in any endeavour by any scientist..the truly learned ones will not let success get to their heads.

Last edited:
science is spiritualism with proof.

spiritualism is mystical science.

om higgs-boson namaha.

Dear Yamaka:

2. My own baby is to clone a human being: clone Servall, Sravna, Yamaka etc and show to the world that individuals can be perpetuated forever defeating the very purpose of DEATH... Lol.

3. To the utter disgust of many of the Believers, I have stated "Man Created Religions, which Created ALL Gods" before.

I admire your quest to defeat death!!

But in your quest for personal glory, I am thinking you are attempting to defeat the very purpose of nature. Some things should occur as intended by nature, anything otherwise will only lead to chaos.

For ME at least, sex between a MAN and WOMAN is natural; relationship such as lesbianism and homosexuality are un-natural;

Children born out of relationship between a man and a woman is natural; other forms of birth, such as cloning is un-natural;

The world becomes a wonderful place only because of diversity; cloning simply extends the status-quo.

Dear Y dude: I dont know about your household; Mrs. S says she has had enough even with one Servall; another one will drive her out to the loony bin. Do you think the world can handle another Y or S!! :mmph:

I am being ostracized everyday at work and home by my kids for my beliefs as to gays and lesbians; I know some great people of both persuasions, I have nothing against these guys as individuals, but just their practices.

I just want to live out my life the best way I can, for myself, my family and others around me and fade out to the yonder...Servall ends here and no more coming back!!

Peace..

Last edited by a moderator:
I am being ostracized everyday at work and home by my kids for my beliefs as to gays and lesbians; I know some great people of both persuasions, I have nothing against these guys as individuals, but just their practices.

I just want to live out my life the best way I can, for myself, my family and others around me and fade out to the yonder...Servall ends here and no more coming back!!

Peace..

dear servall,

i agree in principle with your concept of coming to this earth, living, and fading. one has to fade away, in order to appreciate the beauty of this earth, warts and all. it is also the thought that i wont be here next moment, which makes every living moment worthwhile. otherwise, what is the difference if i fritter this instance for dont i have unending infinity of time before me to experience such .. again. ;)

re gays/lesbians, what practices of these folks that you dont like? many of them live as couples, pretty mundane stuff i imagine, adopt kids, from what i gather, raise them to be as good or better than average, have much more empathy for the downtrodden than the average person, and above all eatdrinkfartpeepoo just like any of us.

if you mean their sexual practices, let us remember, that those sexual practices, need not be confined to homosexuals alone. ;) kinky sex, i am told, has its own thrills, ie what may be kinky for hetroes, may be termed as 'normal' for gays. but then, on an average day, how much % of time is spent on sex? if 99% of the time spent, if there is no difference between gay and hetero, should that 1% make that much of a difference?

i dont know :(

[video]http://front.moveon.org/two-lesbians-raised-a-baby-and-this-is-what-they-got/[/video]

Last edited:

zeb,

dinosaurs, i think, did not have the power to think and evaluate or even understand the concept of time.

today, thanks to advancement of science, we are slowly replacing one part of our wornout body, with another. firstheart transplant came in 1967 in apartheid south africa, where, then, no white could get a non white heart, even to keep him alive. and vice versa.

soon, i think, we can grow limbs that are crushed. once cancer is conquered, and i think, it is only a matter of time, another major cause of mortality has been abolished (in my own lifetime, fight against polio, tuberculosis, small pox.. all death causing diseases have been won).

one thing, we have not, as humans, figured out, where 'life' is ie how memory is stored. if we know that, we can, build einsteinish memories, store these in central repositories, and on demand, transfer these, to humans. just imagine the potential of the world, with a billion ensteins!!

my only fear is, that once the fear of death disappears, life is going to be boring, as every process, can be repeated, and the phrase 'once in a lifetime' becomes an anomaly.

another fear, is that our social attitudes always are a few decades behind the advancement of science. so, we may end up breeding based on our erstwhile mortality values, ie marry before you are 30, have kids soon afterwards, and since there wont be any death, while we have the pleasure of having great great great grand children, the world may be overpopulated to accommodate and feed all of us.

so we will end up destroying us eventually.. oh, i am sure, with human ingenuity, we will come up with methods of destruction. that one thing, man excels. :)

Dear K:

re gays/lesbians, what practices of these folks that you dont like? many of them live as couples, pretty mundane stuff i imagine, adopt kids, from what i gather, raise them to be as good or better than average, have much more empathy for the downtrodden than the average person, and above all eatdrinkfartpeepoo just like any of us.

K: I fully agree that people who practice lesbianism and homosexuality follow life similar to other folks except for their sexual habits.
Yes, the thing that I dont like about these folks is their sexual habits, I guess I clearly indicated why I dont like it!! It is admirable and I know that many of these people adopt and rear kids as their own, but I fail to see why you have to be a lesbian or homosexual to adopt kids, you can do it even otherwise, na?

Hey at the end of the day, if you are ok with their sexual habits, its your belief...I have no issues with it...but what I said are my beliefs!!!!

Peace

dear S,

i respect folks for their views. and likes. after all, i have so many dislikes, that if i start counting them, they probably are more numerous than the sand grains in the chennai marina beach :)

NP with your beliefs. regards...

Dear Yamaka:
I admire your quest to defeat death!!

But in your quest for personal glory, I am thinking you are attempting to defeat the very purpose of nature. Some things should occur as intended by nature, anything otherwise will only lead to chaos.

For ME at least, sex between a MAN and WOMAN is natural; relationship such as lesbianism and homosexuality are un-natural;

Children born out of relationship between a man and a woman is natural; other forms of birth, such as cloning is un-natural;

The world becomes a wonderful place only because of diversity; cloning simply extends the status-quo.

Dear Y dude: I dont know about your household; Mrs. S says she has had enough even with one Servall; another one will drive her out to the loony bin. Do you think the world can handle another Y or S!! :mmph:

Peace..

Dear S:

In early 1980s, I used to think of LGBT as ugly people. I started to read a lot about them, and asked my friends - the human psychologists and sexologists. Finally I learnt that these people are as "natural" as any other heterosexuals, and their hormonal and neuro-wiring is little bit different from others.

Thus, I have accepted them as "normal" like anyone else. Still, while I can watch two lesbians kissing in public, I can't stand two men kissing!

The problem appears to be that of mine!

About Human Cloning, the methodologies are already there and is being practiced very quietly because of the federal ban.

Human Cloning is going to answer so many intractable questions, and could very well cure incurable diseases like Alzhiemer's, Parkinson's and Lou Gharig's and all the spinal cord injuries.

Exciting times are ahead of us.

Wait & watch.

:)

Dear Sri Servall Ji,

You said:

Most of us know that scientists today have said that enough data is available to prove existence of the God Particle, or the subatomic particle (prior to big bang) that was the fundamental

Sorry sir. No such thing. This is about a particle that MAY explain the mass in the universe AFTER the bang. Nothing to do with 'prior to big bang'.

I wonder why the Higgs Boson is termed as 'GOD's particle' by many. Because, the truth be told, even it exists, and that has not yet been proven, this does not explain the origin of Universe - only what happened after the bang!

Regards,
KRS

A warning to those in who support cloning of humans...

Humans are admirable and tolerable because each of us is UNIQUE.

With cloning the uniqueness will be destroyed!

tell me honestly, "Can the world put up with more than one Hitler?"

In all probability it will be a Hitler who will be cloned and not a peace loving man like mahatma Gandhi.

It is best not to meddle with God or Nature - for our own good!

Who knows whether we will be able to face the consequences if out thoughtless meddling backfires in the future !!!

Namaste Sri Kunjuppu,

zeb,

dinosaurs, i think, did not have the power to think and evaluate or even understand the concept of time.

I too had the same opinion before. But the following information made me change my mind:

"Most research conducted since the 1970s, however, has indicated that dinosaurs were active animals with elevated metabolisms and numerous adaptations for social interaction, and many groups (especially the carnivores) were among the most intelligent organisms of the time (source: Dinosaur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Sure, they may be no way near the human intelligence, but I do not think we have any intelligent inputs on their intelligence. I would be glad to be corrected if my opinion is wrong.

Secondly, the intent of my bringing in dinosaurs is that their extinction was due to reasons beyond their capacity, viz. asteroid collision theory, water level rising due to melting of polar ice caps etc. The most intelligent human being has still no clue to defending himself from such natural events and outliving biological death may not result in immortality.

today, thanks to advancement of science, we are slowly replacing one part of our wornout body, with another. firstheart transplant came in 1967 in apartheid south africa, where, then, no white could get a non white heart, even to keep him alive. and vice versa.

soon, i think, we can grow limbs that are crushed. once cancer is conquered, and i think, it is only a matter of time, another major cause of mortality has been abolished (in my own lifetime, fight against polio, tuberculosis, small pox.. all death causing diseases have been won).

I am all for science and its efforts in minimising human miseries and adding to its comforts. But the above passage appears to me to be an unremitting praise of the science. While scientific advance is indeed praise-worthy, just to take a counter-point and make the discussion balanced, do you not think that science has failed in providing relief for many pedestrian tasks or ordeals like:

1. Inability to provide synthetic food and alleviate many billions from the food chain requirement.
2. Inability to control the hair from greying after certain age or check the baldness.
3. Inability to give a permanent relief to the male population from the necessity of shaving day after day (a very monotonous and boring task to many).

I do not know why you have brought the apartheid in South Africa in 1967 and black heart and white heart discrimination issue, but I suppose that gives me a licence (he he) to make a little detour.

Just as advaita and concept of God or theism cannot fill in the stomach of a hungry man, do you not think the concept of immortality obtained through scientific advances is also not going to fill in his stomach?

just imagine the potential of the world, with a billion ensteins!!

Are you serious? If so the world may be full of mad scientists and social misfits.

so we will end up destroying us eventually.. oh, i am sure, with human ingenuity, we will come up with methods of destruction. that one thing, man excels. :)
You are very right here. We will eventually come up with methods of self destruction.

Regards,

Mr. KRS:

This is about a particle that MAY explain the mass in the universe AFTER the bang. Nothing to do with 'prior to big bang'.

Thank you for clarifying.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Delhi, Dec. 13: Physicist Vivek Sharma who was born in Muzaffarpur, Bihar, and now leads an international group hunting for the Higgs boson sees the search as an attempt to seek out answers to questions posed in the Rig Veda.
Sharma, who went to a Kendriya Vidyalaya in Pune and pursued master's in physics at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, says he was drawn to experimental particle physics after learning Rig Veda hymns from his mother, a Sanskrit scholar. The ancient text has a hymn on creation that speculates on the origin of the universe and describes a period when "all that existed was void and formless".
"It was a shock, it left an impression in my mind. Thousands of years ago people were contemplating our origins," said Sharma, a professor at the University of California, San Diego, and head of a Higgs search team at CERN, the European research laboratory.
He was still a high school student but began thinking how modern technology might be used to probe creation. The Higgs boson, the subatomic particle that Sharma and his colleagues are looking for, was predicted in the 1960s to explain the origin of mass.
A discovery of the Higgs boson is important for physicists because it is the last missing, or unseen, piece of a bedrock theory of physics called the Standard Model that explains all the forces and particles in nature except gravity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back