• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

God Particle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subbarao and Priyamvada Natarajan are NOT small fries by any means - If there is an injustice we need to point out - not that past mistakes can be corrected - but future mistakes can be avoided (as much as possible). Let us look what Chronicle of Higher Education talks about the mishandling of Marc Hauser by Harvard.
One Bad Apple, and the Threat to Science - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

I can add to the treatment meted out to Alan Turing (because he was gay) and that ended his life at the age of 41 Now UK government has publicly apologized for it behavior - But the life of a true genius is cut short for ever.

It is easy to brush off what one does not like with a mental illness "Paranoia" -

That is an enlightened intellectual discussion!

I am not saying they are small fries. Subbarao lived in a time when there was separate treatments of colored and white folks. Even now it persists in a covert fashion. Don't tell me such discrimination does not occur in independent India. the brown babus who are at the top echelons are worse than white babus of the past.

Natarajan had a forum available to her and there she can publish her opinion. I can do that too if I have one. For several years I have had one and I published my views without fear or favor. One such issue concerned the national anthem of India (going against the grain).

There are always two sides to any given story. Even during a face-to-face debate it may not be settled. I am reminded years ago of a debate between Russel Doolittle of UCLA(?) and a creationist on evolution vs creation. Doolittle was out-manoeuvred by the more eloquent creationist. That does not mean evolution is wrong. Just circumstantial coincidence. Creation anchors on faith, while science does on reason and exploration. Why am I saying this? Because, we elaborate on our side of the story but we don't take into consideration the facts on the other side. They may have had justifications for their actions.

Subbarao and Priyamvada Natarajan are NOT small fries by any means - If there is an injustice we need to point out - not that past mistakes can be corrected - but future mistakes can be avoided (as much as possible). Let us look what Chronicle of Higher Education talks about the mishandling of Marc Hauser by Harvard.
One Bad Apple, and the Threat to Science - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

I can add to the treatment meted out to Alan Turing (because he was gay) and that ended his life at the age of 41 Now UK government has publicly apologized for it behavior - But the life of a true genius is cut short for ever.

It is easy to brush off what one does not like with a mental illness "Paranoia" -

That is an enlightened intellectual discussion!

How did Harvard mishandle Marc Hauser?
Here is a quote on the incident from CHE
"What some saw as clearly going one way, he recorded as going other ways­—other ways that confirmed his hypotheses about the importance of biology in the acquisition of language and moral abilities. As a result, Hauser has been found "solely responsible" for eight instances of "scientific misconduct," and he told a reporter from The New York Times that he made "some significant mistakes," and he was "deeply sorry for the problems this case has caused to my students, my colleagues and my university."

In the case of Brown Babus one can complain and provide statements - with white babus one will/would be thrown in jail.
Siva Ayyadurai Shiva Ayyadurai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 's interview after he was fired from CSIR.

V.A. Shiva Ayyadurai on Star News - Exposes CSIR Leadership - YouTube
(This interview is in Hindi)

Prof. Natarajan has every right to express her views (and if a magazine publishes it good for her and good for the newspaper)

One has to give "some" credit to the intelligence of the people concerned who are expressing their views that they have explored both sides - if one suspects that every one is narrow minded then there is no salvation.

Respectfully submitted
mskmoorthy

I am not saying they are small fries. Subbarao lived in a time when there was separate treatments of colored and white folks. Even now it persists in a covert fashion. Don't tell me such discrimination does not occur in independent India. the brown babus who are at the top echelons are worse than white babus of the past.

Natarajan had a forum available to her and there she can publish her opinion. I can do that too if I have one. For several years I have had one and I published my views without fear or favor. One such issue concerned the national anthem of India (going against the grain).

There are always two sides to any given story. Even during a face-to-face debate it may not be settled. I am reminded years ago of a debate between Russel Doolittle of UCLA(?) and a creationist on evolution vs creation. Doolittle was out-manoeuvred by the more eloquent creationist. That does not mean evolution is wrong. Just circumstantial coincidence. Creation anchors on faith, while science does on reason and exploration. Why am I saying this? Because, we elaborate on our side of the story but we don't take into consideration the facts on the other side. They may have had justifications for their actions.

From the same CHE two paragraphs after your quotation:

The Hauser case, however, really makes me mad. In part, this is because I was taken in by Hauser's actions. I have been praising his work to the sky, and I feel a bit stupid. I blame Hauser, and in part I blame Harvard for taking so long to tell us about it­—something the university has done only with reluctance as the news became public.

One can do a selective reading and take what we want to hear.
How did Harvard mishandle Marc Hauser?
Here is a quote on the incident from CHE
"What some saw as clearly going one way, he recorded as going other ways­—other ways that confirmed his hypotheses about the importance of biology in the acquisition of language and moral abilities. As a result, Hauser has been found "solely responsible" for eight instances of "scientific misconduct," and he told a reporter from The New York Times that he made "some significant mistakes," and he was "deeply sorry for the problems this case has caused to my students, my colleagues and my university."

From the same CHE two paragraphs after your quotation:

The Hauser case, however, really makes me mad. In part, this is because I was taken in by Hauser's actions. I have been praising his work to the sky, and I feel a bit stupid. I blame Hauser, and in part I blame Harvard for taking so long to tell us about it­—something the university has done only with reluctance as the news became public.

One can do a selective reading and take what we want to hear.

Of course, isn't that every one does?
Two things here. I was pointing out the grievous error of Hauser in the quote I provided.
As for Harvard, just like any other university, they want to give the benefit of doubt to the accused and you know the wheels of justice do grind slowly.

A similar incident occurred with the Indian cancer researcher in Duke. Everybody, including the dean of research, was taken in by his design of clinical research. Only in the end it turned out that he was fudging data and third party had to point it out. North Carolina revoked his medicallicense. He is now out of Duke (after 60 minutes uncovered the whole episode) but unfortunately he is practicing again in South Carolina. Poor folks there!

In the case of Brown Babus one can complain and provide statements - with white babus one will/would be thrown in jail.
Siva Ayyadurai Shiva Ayyadurai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 's interview after he was fired from CSIR.

V.A. Shiva Ayyadurai on Star News - Exposes CSIR Leadership - YouTube
(This interview is in Hindi)

Prof. Natarajan has every right to express her views (and if a magazine publishes it good for her and good for the newspaper)

One has to give "some" credit to the intelligence of the people concerned who are expressing their views that they have explored both sides - if one suspects that every one is narrow minded then there is no salvation.

Respectfully submitted
mskmoorthy

I accentuated it with brown babus because even in your own country you face heavy odds. I am not talking about white babus in the US. That is a totally different story. You are not in your own country and you might be at the receiving end whether you like it or not. As I said before some extraordinary merit will get rewarded wherever you are especially now that the world is changing fast. There will be cases where "ordinary" merit will not succeed. That follows the "survival of the fittest" theory.

As for Natarajan I did not oppose her freedom to write what she wanted. I said she had a forum and so she expressed her views. It is just like a columnist who expresses his/her own views. That does not mean others should not question the views expressed.

You are expressing some umbrage here. I did not question the right of the person to express her views nor her intelligence. By the same token I don't like my intelligence to be questioned either when I disagree with the views expressed there. I am also going through extensive analysis of the issues involved. Questioning somebody's views is not accusing them of some crime. There are always two sides to any issue. Just because somebody has a status and a forum their words are not to be taken as Bible. I have every right to question the views with counter arguments. We are talking generalities here. If we want to take that opinion piece and discuss it separately we can do it in another forum, if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back