• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The duty of a brahmin to uplift the masses spiritualy – according to swami vivekanand

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE DUTY OF A BRAHMIN TO UPLIFT THE MASSES SPIRITUALY – ACCORDING TO SWAMI VIVEKANANDA​

According to swami Vivekananda

“ Brahmin, the man of god, he who has known Brahman, an ideal man, the perfect man, must remain; he must not go. ………………we must all be ready to give the Brahmins this credit. We must be bold enough and brave enough to speak of their defects, but at the same time, we must give the credit that is due to them”

Regarding the harassment done in the name of caste Swami Vivekananda rightly says

“My friends , .......... What good will it do? It will divide us all the more, weaken us all the more, degrade us all the more. The days of exclusive privileges and exclusive claims are gone, gone for ever from the soil of india, and it is the greatest blessings of the British rule in India."

This caste based ill-treatment ruins our religion. He further put it

“The poor pariah is not allowed to pass through the same street as the high-caste man, but if he changes his name to hodge-podge English name, it is all right; or to a Mohammedan name, it is all right. What inference would you draw except that these Malabaris are all lunatics, their homes so many lunatic asylums…………shame upon them that such wicked and diabolical customs are allowed……….."

The word “shame” of swamiji not only apply to Malabaris but all the places in India where there exists crude caste practices.

Here further says

" The attempts of the great RAMANUJA and CHAITANYA and KABIR to raise the lower classes of India, show that marvellous results were attained during the lifetime of those great prophets; yet the later failures have to be explained, and cause shown why the effect of their teachings stopped almost within a century of the passing away of these great masters. The secret is here they raised the lower classes; they had all the wish that these should come up, but they did not apply their energies to the spreading of the Sanskrit language among the masses.”

Bhakthi philosophy at all times tried to do its level best to uplift the downtrodden masses, but what to do?, after the death of the reformers, all these wonderful text went under the control of mutts (the protector and the promoter of caste system{caste based superiority complex and sarcastic behaviour}). The solution suggested by swamji is something wonderful, when we teach the Sanskrit languages to the masses, they need not depend on others for understanding the text. Always Sanskrit and Indian culture goes hand in hand. If we want to eradicate the differences, the only way is take our culture to the downtrodden masses.

The solution to the current social problem and our own religious problem was suggested by Swamiji more than a century before.

“The solution is not by bringing down the higher, but by raising the lower up to the level of the higher. ………………what is the plan? The ideal at one end is the Brahmin and the ideal at the other end is the chandala, and the whole work is to raise the chandala up to the Brahmin…………….”

The old diabolical barbarism should go, it is our duty to rectify the errors committed by our forefathers. We ourselves should try understanding our culture first and then start taking it to others, it is our social responsibility, religious responsibility to distribute our wonderful spiritual treasures accumulated by our rishis.

Swamiji says
“ bring them out, and give them to everybody, and the Brahmin must be the first to do it”

Dear Krishnatilak,
I have to admire you...you really start all "interesting" threads.

Ekam Sat Manavah Bahuda Vadanti

Have a nice time dear..you will soon have Bahuda Vadanti....
Anyway nice points you bring up..

Last edited:
" The attempts of the great RAMANUJA and CHAITANYA and KABIR to raise the lower classes of India, show that marvellous results were attained during the lifetime of those great prophets;

I do not see how attempts will, in any way, show (prove) their results!

The old diabolical barbarism should go, it is our duty to rectify the errors committed by our forefathers. We ourselves should try understanding our culture first and then start taking it to others, it is our social responsibility, religious responsibility to distribute our wonderful spiritual treasures accumulated by our rishis.
There is utter confusion, if not hypocrisy, here. On the one hand there is old diabolical barbarism, errors committed by our forefathers but at the end of the same sentence we come across wonderful spiritual treasures accumulated by our rishis ! If it is this wonderful spiritual treasures accumulated by our rishis which themselves prescribe the old diabolical barbarism, which caused the errors to be committed by our forefathers, what do we do? Do we throw out the wonderful spiritual treasures accumulated by our rishis, as abominable or do we reinstate all the old diabolical barbarism which will make us repeat the very same errors which were committed by our forefathers?

To all those who repose high value in Vivekananda, I suggest going through the blogs here, at least once, completely.

Sayings of Swami Vivekananda

Struggle is the sign of life.

Strength is life, weakness is death

Never mind failure; they are the beauty of life

Religion is not in books. It is being and
becoming

Religious teaching must always be constructive,
not destructive

Out of purity and silence come the word of power

To be good and to do good that is the whole of
religion

They alone live, who live for others; the rest are
more dead than alive

No chance for the welfare of the world, unless
the condition of women is improved

Arise! Awake! Stop not, till the goal is reached

There is utter confusion, if not hypocrisy, here. On the one hand there is old diabolical barbarism, errors committed by our forefathers but at the end of the same sentence we come across wonderful spiritual treasures accumulated by our rishis ! If it is this wonderful spiritual treasures accumulated by our rishis which themselves prescribe the old diabolical barbarism, which caused the errors to be committed by our forefathers, what do we do? Do we throw out the wonderful spiritual treasures accumulated by our rishis, as abominable or do we reinstate all the old diabolical barbarism which will make us repeat the very same errors which were committed by our forefathers?

To all those who repose high value in Vivekananda, I suggest going through the blogs here, at least once, completely.

Sangom-ji -

If you wrote "There is utter confusion, if not hypocrisy, here - in my mind" - that will be reasonable starting point for a discussion. I did go and check the blog you referenced. Like you , that person is making categorical statements and is not looking to learn but to put forth his point of view.

Some 20 years ago when I was reading the collected works and compilation of letters written by Swami Vivekananda I had some of the questions raised by the blogger. Thanks for posting the link to the blog since I was able to revisit some of these objections compiled at one place and validate my current understanding.

Regards

Some 20 years ago when I was reading the collected works and compilation of letters written by Swami Vivekananda I had some of the questions raised by the blogger. Regards

That shows what has happened in a 20 year period of mental and intellectual deterioration!

Dear Shri Sangom sir,

When people talk about spirituality, I think that is a sign of leaving the safe shores of rationality into the sphere of delusions. The duty of a Brahmin, IMO, is to first and foremost stop thinking he/she is a "Brahmin". To say Brahmins have a duty to uplift, as the title of this thread suggests, is no different from the vile Churchillian notion of the White man's burden or the despicable concept of European American Manifest Destiny.

Godmen of all sorts, whether it is Kalki Bhagavan or the exalted Swami Vivekananda, they are no more than mere peddlers of spirituality. Religion and spirituality are the bane of the common man, but serves the rich and powerful. The more the people are engaged in the so called spirituality, kshetradalanam, etc., the more the rich and powerful can continue to enjoy the benefits derived from the labor of the common people. SV was perhaps quite sincere with his delusions, but people like him serve the powerful, perhaps inadvertently but surely enough.

In this day and age, when science has delivered on so many fronts, it is a shame to see otherwise rational people drawn to the mumbo-jumbo of organized religion. In this contect, my respect for the ancient Loakayata Charvakas grows exponentially. In the midst of a sea of superstitious masses, they had the courage to speak out against the stupidity of spirituality. The tragedy is, even with so much knowledge gained, the ocean of superstitious spirituality still abounds.

Cheer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Professor Nara Ji,

So, do you consider the notion of religious belief as superstitious and science and 'rational' thoughts are it?

Do you think that this Universe came in to being, on it's own? So, please, pray tell me, since you believe in logic, science and materialism, how this material Universe of ours originally materialized?

If you are going to cite Stephen Hawkins, I would expect that you lay out his theory here, that logically explains the creation of this Universe by what force in the language of Physics.

Spirituality is not superstition.

Regards,
KRS

INMHO,the blogger only tries to exhibit his'perverted thinking'
I have remained in Calcutta for three years and observed keenly the marxist way of thinking.
While I have great regards for Marxist philosophy,the leaders are highly selfish and their only job is to brainwash and fool the followers.They never really improve the standard of life of either their followers or the masses.The leaders enrich themselves.
The saying that one can fool all for sometime,but not all for all the time is very much true with all Marxist thinkers.I am happy that the people of West Bengal has understood their game after 35 long years
They will never indulge in constructive ACTIONS,but only will preach and misguide you.They will never go after BIG FISH,but only ordinary people like me.I used to get mentally tired whenever I was giving my clothes for laundry and go to market for purchase of vegetables.
I had a good Bengali gentleman as my neighbor.Daily he will spend sometime with me as I was alone and my family was in Chennai..He was sympathetic to Marxists. used to say that you are occupying a good position
in Govt and earning good salary (forgetting that he was also employed in PSU as a senior Executive)and having a number of clothings and getting fresh vegetables at higher prices while poor people could never indulge in such luxury etc,etc.
My eldest brother was kept under preventive detention in the year 1950 as a suspected Communist only for the sole reason that as an youngster he actively participated in strike in Railways in 1946.We,being from a low middle class,at that time,suffered the most as my brother gave an undertaking at the request of my father that he would never participate in any movement connected with COMMUNISM,but harassed till he retired.I have seen my brother as a young boy of 13 years(1946) moving closely with persons who became as big leaders(both at state level and national level).None of those persons came to the rescue of our family.

Last edited:
BK,

i have friends here in toronto, who have come from the former ussr. almost to a person, they are of the view, that the 'communists' who ruled the ussr, since stalin's time, were all thugs. the more violent you are, the more willingly and readily you kill, the higher up the ladder you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back