• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The case for Srichuranum/Viboothi in daily life

A Sikh man wears his turban with traditional clothes, then some sporty casual clothes and lastly with business attire in full western formal clothing. He attends board meetings, goes to the Mandir/Gurudwara, an amusement park and a clinic for a doctor's appointment, all with his turban. Nobody bats an eyelash.

A Tamil Brahmin wears his Viboothi/thiruman srichuranum and does the exact same thing the sikh man did above. Everyone looks at him like he's a weirdo. Maybe not in Chennai but in various other parts of India even Trivandrum, our neighboring City as well as Hyderabad and even Kolkata to name just a few.

why does one religious accessory get acceptance in EVERY social setting but the other gets scrutinized like its the first time anyone's ever seen it?

A Sikh man wears his turban with traditional clothes, then some sporty casual clothes and lastly with business attire in full western formal clothing. He attends board meetings, goes to the Mandir/Gurudwara, an amusement park and a clinic for a doctor's appointment, all with his turban. Nobody bats an eyelash.

A Tamil Brahmin wears his Viboothi/thiruman srichuranum and does the exact same thing the sikh man did above. Everyone looks at him like he's a weirdo. Maybe not in Chennai but in various other parts of India even Trivandrum, our neighboring City as well as Hyderabad and even Kolkata to name just a few.

why does one religious accessory get acceptance in EVERY social setting but the other gets scrutinized like its the first time anyone's ever seen it?
Agreed to an extent. I don’t wish to comment on some who are really orthodox and follow “Aacharam Rituals” in house and when they step out, especially to their office, they literally rub off the Sricharanam / Vibhuthi. I feel such personnel are responsible to an extent for exponential degeneration of our culture & tradition than who never applied. I, being in Central Services (maximum in Hyderabad & Northeastern India-Christian dominated) and have been attending numerous meetings at different levels in different states of India and abroad, have-had never forgotten and god forbidden wiped my Sricharanam anytime and remained total vegetarian. Whenever someone at very senior level including senior politicians satirically inquired, I have explained even such person politely. Also, explained most of my Hindu juniors and PG students (irrespective of caste) to have either kumkumam or Manjal or Sricharanam or Vibhuthi or Santanam and explained the significance of major kundali there. So it’s one’s own conviction & innermost belief on a god or our culture. If we are seen everyday with such divine markings on forehead and sincerely follow our Vedic rituals (need not bother what others / bosses will think), days are not far off when world will follow us. Good eg. is true Krishna Consciousnesses I have seen and experienced in Australia and other foreign countries. Atleast after “Thread Ceremony” the boys should be taught by parents “not to move without Sricharanam or other divine marks on forehead”, because blank forehead symbolises some evil/sad happening in family. Also, parents should insist their females to avoid colour matching stickers and going without Kumkumam. Yes, I may be termed as “Pazhaiya Panchangam” and made fun by few youngsters from our own Brahmin community. Yes, I openly admit that I myself do not follow 100% our Vedic rituals but trying to be near “Poornam”. Let’s keep on trying, at least one or two may realise. We have to get back the lost glory and values for our progeny and prove ourselves as an example for the posterity. Lord Narayana bless all.

First of all, why should we bother about others reaction...??
What is the need to expect whether others accept us or not..??
It is my body,, it is my religion, it is my appearance.. it is my faith that matters
Does outward appearance matters.. especially what you apply in your forehead...is it vibhoodhi or Srichuranam??
There are not less than nine recognized Religions in India
And there are people practicing all these religions.
There are reportedly 3000 casts and 25,000 sub-castes practicing different rituals
Each follow wearing different colour of robes and turbans, etc
We live in a multi-religious and multi-linguistic nation.
Let us get along with others and try to remain unique.

Last edited:
First of all, why should we bother about others reaction...??
What is the need to expect whether others accept us or not..??
It is my body,, it is my religion, it is my appearance.. it is my faith that matters
Does outward appearance matters.. especially what you apply in your forehead...is it vibhoodhi or Srichuranam??
There are not less than nine recognized Religions in India
And there are people practicing all these religions.
There are reportedly 3000 casts and 25,000 sub-castes practicing different rituals
Each follow wearing different colour of robes and turbans, etc
We live in a multi-religious and multi-linguistic nation.
Let us get along with others and try to remain unique.
A good thought. But if it frightens others and end up with violence, your body will not be yours. The thing is do what you want in private and in public become an ordinary person who does not attract attention. Even now, many women remove their thali when they go to work - chain pulling, dk cutting your tali etc., avoided and when they return home put on. Thali was an advertisement - I am taken - and also was an emergency cash media. So, what you do in your house is your business but out outside your physical health is important. Even police will not help you. Also, if you have learned Karate or Chilamam and go with it, then do what you want. You and the mob - using brain power - maunam kalaka nasthi - silence is gold. I am told many Indians in USA get into trouble because they use these symbols but do not follow every thing in the scripture(what ever). Exception is San Jose , California area where rich Brahman ladies wear Kanchvaram saries, diamond ear rings etc., people do not harass them. They are the rich majority there.
As to Sikh, it was Gurugobind Singh who created that order to fight against Muslim kings and they are united, thus allowed to wear turban etc., They fight and die on border wars, not Vibudi Iyer goes and fights with Pakistan and die.

Latest ads

Back