• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Blind Faith Of Organized Religion.

prasad1

(ThyBlackMan.com) “If God knows all, and he knows a billion years before Billy is born that Billy is going to end up in Hell, is there anything Billy can do in life to make God wrong?

The above question is designed to point out two things – first, it points out that much of the religious doctrine that we’ve been taught is a myth that can’t stand up to logical examination; and secondly, that we can only know God’s will by what he has done, and he made birds to fly, fish to swim, and man to think.

Irrefutable evidence of that fact is when God placed man on Earth, he placed us here as necked apes. We weren’t as strong as the elephant, as ferocious as the lion, nor could we fly above danger like the eagle. So the cards were stacked against our ultimate survival – except for one thing. God provided man with a unique tool for survival – the human mind.

Now, as a direct result of the effective use of that resource, we have built machines that can crush any elephant, slaughter the most ferocious lion, and fly high beyond the domain of the most dedicated eagle – in fact, we’ve now flown past the eagle, beyond the clouds, and on to explore other worlds.

That’s a powerful indicator of God’s will. It clearly demonstrates that God intended man to be a logical, thinking, being. God has done absolutely nothing to suggest that he intended to relegate mankind to be ignorant and superstitious victims, cowering in fear of the unknown, and obliged to be reliant upon “faith” in the words so-called “anointed” others to guide his existence. That’s not God’s will; that’s man’s will. Because the fact is, by having more “faith” in what man tells us about God than we do what God has actually done, is a slap in the face of God himself. That’s not faith in God, that’s faith in man.
That’s why we live in so much anger, hatred, and turmoil; we’re living against God’s will. Our attempt to survive on faith rather than the logic and intellect that is our God-given nature is as contrary to the natural scheme of things as a bird who refuses to fly, or a fish who refuses to swim – and the chances of our ultimate survival under the current circumstances are just as slim.

No, I don’t have a problem with the church, per se, but I do have a severe problem with blind faith. So I asked the above question regarding Billy’s ultimate fate in order to demonstrate that, for the most part, religion is not only based on superstition rather than sound logic and common sense, but it’s own dogma is self-contradictory. I also wanted to demonstrate that the only reason that many of us believe what we believe is because we choose to believe it – regardless to whether it makes sense or not. That, in turn, demonstrates why man is plagued with so many, seemingly, intractable problems.

The problem is, instead of adhering to our nature – to be logical and independent thinkers – we insist on worshiping totem poles. And instead of being practical in addressing the issues that plague mankind, we remain fixated on meaningless dogma, superficialities, and rituals. In short, we’re being stupid, and stupidity has nothing to do with God. Our gross stupidity only serves to promote the needs of greedy, evil, and power-hungry men.

Do I believe in God? Yes I do, but that doesn’t mean that I believe in Voodoo, talking snakes, and walking dead men. For me, God is whatever force is responsible for the existence of the universe (The Brahmam) – or to be more precise, existence itself. So, I can see my God, since, from my point of view, God, Nature, and the Universe are synonymous.

That not only frees me from having to be reliant upon the word of “God-fearing” men, but it also gives me a leg up on atheists. Because while atheists take the position that those of us who believe in God have no evidence to show that God exists, my position is, the existence of the universe gives me more evidence to show that God does exist, than they have to show that he doesn’t.

But the problem that I have with organized religion has nothing to do with the existence of God. My problem with religion begins and ends with the corruption of man. The greed, self-service, and machinations of man have turned what should be a spiritual experience into something that’s ugly, divisive, and malevolent – and all of that starts with the concept of blind “faith.”

Man has a vested interest in controlling other men, so he uses the concept of faith to coerce the masses into accepting man himself as the spokesman for God. He does that by laying out written tablets, then convincing the masses that these tablets represent the “word of God.” He then goes on to convince them that God has appointed him to ensure that “God’s word” is followed to the letter, and any deviation from the word of God, or even a second’s doubt that the book – in this case, the Bible – indeed, represents the word of God, is an act heresy, which will result in the most hideous punishment known to man – and, it will endure throughout eternity. Once demagogues have gotten the masses to accept that, they’ve literally taken control of your minds. So for all intent and purpose, they become your God.

It is precisely because of this ploy that we often hear people using the Bible as a metaphor for God. They don’t ask, “Do you believe in God?” They ask, “Do you believe in the Bible?” Their question implies that it goes without saying that the Bible is the word of God. That’s what allows the social manipulators to come in with the Bible under their arm and set themselves up as the spokesmen for God. That’s also why so many preachers are driving around in big cars – because the people think that by making the preacher rich, they’re gaining favor with the Supreme Being. It’s the biggest scam on the face of the Earth.

What a great racket, this organized religion game – and the people never stop to think for a minute that the “faith” that they worship so intently, is not a faith in God at all. Their putting their faith in man, and what corrupt men are telling them about God. And since the people have been taught, literally from birth, that questioning what they’re being told by these “God-anointed” men is an assault on God himself, these charlatans, and their scam, are completely insulated from the ravages of a sudden plague of common sense.

So, carefully consider the question that I posed above, for it pits the common sense that God gave us against the contrived nonsense that man would have us believe.

The human mind keeps fighting with itself, it fears to be on the path of God consciousness.
At the begining anything might seem like illogical so called "blind faith".

One needs to understand that blind here includes both logical thinking and illogical thinking..its a paradox isnt it?
How can one be neither logical nor illogical?

Logical in the sense that one should have a self introspection that we are not going to get anywhere beyond a point if our intellect keeps hijacking ourselves into coronating the ego as King.
So beyond this point all logical thinking is only Ego and nothing else, but we needed to use a little bit of logic to reach there, then discard it and surrender our mind..as the mind is one's best friend and also one's worst enemy.

Next is being illogical and why it too doesnt take us anywhere.
Being illogical is having very little capabilty of self enquiry..reason?
Lack of faith.
One who has lack of faith dare not question himself because at times truth might just break what he has been holding on too all his life.

Its easier to follow anything without self enquiry.
These are the types that are prone to violence as they basically never understood their religion or belief system.

So what exactly is blind faith?
Blind faith is when usage of the intellect to arrive at the conclusion that the intellect itself needs to be surrendered to God..it becomes " blind" not because it cant see but blind because it does not see through its ego and it sees through illumination of God.
It becomes a conduit and functions in the " non doer state"

Unquestioning faith in logic alone is also blind. Logic can take you only up to a certain point. One needs something beyond logic to arrive at deeper truths. Unfortunately this is similar to one who doesn't do any thinking. So everything is categorised as blind faith.

Can science solve the problem of creation? It can't. It requires a big leap of faith and belief in an omnipotent force. Similarly many other things concerning divinity requires uncritical acceptance. Nothing wrong in that. Ofcourse it leaves open the possibility that charlatans will emerge and take over. But you can't throw the baby with bath water. It is the same with science too. You simply cannot blindly believe science but can't ignore it too.

In both the cases a higher order thinking is required to see the truth and be in proper perspective. The competing or more rightly the complementing forces of logic and intuition will keep each other in check and give the right perspective. Nothing really to worry.

It seems that the spiritualists are broad minded willing to accept the truth of science though with the caveat that it is not the ultimate truth but the scientists outright reject the spiritual truths.

It seems that the spiritualists are broad minded willing to accept the truth of science though with the caveat that it is not the ultimate truth but the scientists outright reject the spiritual truths.
I was reading the verses about Moses and the Jews( present both in the Quran and Bible)..
Moses had ordered the Jews to slaughter a cow because one of them had killed a man and to bring back the dead man to life, God had told Moses to tell the Jews to slaughter a cow and to strike the body of the dead man with any part of the slaughtered cow and the dead man would get up for a while and tell who killed him and then he would die again.

Not to sure if this story is symbolic or it really happened.

Ok,the Jews didnt follow the instructions of Moses.
They keep questioning him repeatedly on what type of cow..how old the cow should be..what color and how to know which cow because all cows look alike.

So Moses each time goes to ask God for each question.

Originally they were just supposed to slaughter any cow..but since they asked so many questions,so many answers were given and the specifications about what type of cow was given..which obviously made it more difficult for the Jews.

I look at the story symbolically..that is when God gave us a broad classification and made things easy, our own mind does not readily accept it but keeps questioning repeatedly and finally making things more difficult for ourselves.

Also I was reading about the practice of caturmasya practiced by ISCKON where they abstain from certain types of food in some months.
For eg in October they abstain from urad dhal.

I did ask what was the reason behind it but the ISCKON person replied its a practice for well being.
I was ok with his reply but I did want to know why..I was quite sure there must be a valid reason.

Urad dhall has a high protein content, I was thinking may be they want to give the Gastrointestinal system a rest and only food that is easy to digest so one can focus more on spiritual activity.
I think in September they also abstain from milk.

Again could be because milk produces phelgm in the body..it weakens the respiratory system if taken excessively.

Again I guess they want to give each system rest.

I cant deny I used logic to figure out the reason for these practices..but I did believe that the practice is valid and its just that i need to find out why.

I guess we can use logic with an open mind and at the same time have faith.

Well said Renuka. People think logic and faith are mutually exclusive. But one can use logic on what one perceives through senses and for the rest one can trust the mind. As with you I have no problem employing both of them.

Latest ads

Back