• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

‘Blind faith is bad for society’

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

‘Blind faith is bad for society’

Former Chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation, Dr. U.R. Rao said that blind faith is bad for the society and must be eradicated.

Delivering the inaugural address on the third day of the First annual conference of Ramakrishna Vivekananda Bhavaprachara Parishad at Ramakrishna Vivekananda Ashrama here on Tuesday, Dr. Rao said that Science is a part of life and must become the mantra of every man which also helps in eradicating the blind beliefs existing in the society.

Coming down heavily on electronic media for telecasting astrology-related programs, Dr. Rao said that “half the time television channels show astrology-related programs which instil superstitious beliefs among people and misguide them”.

He said people must give importance to science and evaluate each thing on the basis of science.

Television being a powerful media, should educate the people especially the rural masses, but that is not happening to the extent it should.

He mentioned more than 200 television channels in the nation depend on satellites which are built scientifically for telecasting these programs without which the channels will shut down.

Source: ?Blind faith is bad for society? - The Hindu

When my sister got married, her father-in-law was already very old (I think he was 80). He passed away 1 1/2 yrs after my sister's marriage. Everyone in my sister's family was saying that it was fortunate for my sister he died after a year-and-a-half because if he had died soon after marriage, then everyone would have blamed my sister's luck for that! Fortunately that did not happen!

Mam,

People who are masters in the field of astrology are very rare nowadays.

Only half baked pandits are growing like mushroom all over, with various titles prefixing their name and they go on predicting the horoscopes which would have been mostly based on incorrect time of birth. And on the part of the public, when these predictions go wrong, they simply ignore and forget it. And when the predictions materialise, they develop more faith and persuade others to follow and in no time this particular astrologer with be a hit and will attract more crowd.

Met a friend of mine a couple of days back, who also happens to be Marketing Manager of a dealership firm of a MNC Brand of vehicles.

He was found breaking his head to improve sales and was found discussing various strategies to boost sales and thus hit the goal/ target for the month.

When I asked him as to why he is so worried about sales, especially when the ‘Brand has more demand in the market, he simply replied that our public generally avoid investing in new ventures like Cars, Bikes, Scooters, Real Estate,etc during the months of ‘Aadi’ and ‘Maargazhi’ despite the reputation of the Brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing is the companies know well in advance which months are 'nishiddam' for their products. And there are periods like vijayadasmi, trithiyai, diwali and a lot more which are auspicious for buying new things including gold, and property. Why complain.

Even the progressed west has christmas sale, new year sale, bank holiday sale which see a several fold increase in sales. Even the sale of air conditioners and fans are linked to seasons.

There was this interesting sales news from amazon last week. Due to a software glitch, all items were priced as one pound for one hour before the mistake was corrected. People bough all kinds of things in that one hour - from furniture to household to gadgets. Amazon may go bankrupt or feel a very heavy dip in its income if all the sales are honoured. What the sellers will get is also to be resolved.

Only hindu award winners - rao included, make such grand statements; they must define what is science, what is belief and what is blind belief.

He mentioned more than 200 television channels in the nation depend on satellites which are built scientifically for telecasting these programs without which the channels will shut down.

Then it is easy to stop astrology programmes by shutting down the satellites. What he has forgotten that astrology is very old, but satellite is recent development.

.(why)....he is so worried about sales, especially when the ‘Brand has more demand in the market, he simply replied that our public generally avoid investing in new ventures like Cars, Bikes, Scooters, Real Estate,etc during the months of ‘Aadi’ and ‘Maargazhi’ despite the reputation of the Brand.

All that he needs to do to boost the sales during Aadi and Margazhi, is to offer bargain sales - reduced interest rates, reduced down payments, steep discounts for cash payments... ONLY during these months..Then, all these superstitions will disappear...

Last edited:
Sir,

Yes, it is blind faith for atheists.

Sir,

So long as there is no scientific evidence for god existing in any of the forms given out by religions, even for believers, religion is nothing but a blind faith. But believers in religion may not like to admit their folly, and that is understandable, considering that human ego won't allow it. But truth is truth and religion is as much blind faith as astrology is.

Sir,

So long as there is no scientific evidence for god existing in any of the forms given out by religions, even for believers, religion is nothing but a blind faith. But believers in religion may not like to admit their folly, and that is understandable, considering that human ego won't allow it. But truth is truth and religion is as much blind faith as astrology is.

Not if you can hear from god first hand!!

BTW: I cannot believe some people actually think man is as intelligent (and UNIFIED enough) to create a supremely vast set of philosophies, stories, beliefs, etc.

What our scriptures, philosophy and literature say about blind faith? How is it defined? Else you are using western terminology for something you don't understand or can't explain.
Sir,

Not if you can hear from god first hand!!

BTW: I cannot believe some people actually think man is as intelligent (and UNIFIED enough) to create a supremely vast set of philosophies, stories, beliefs, etc.

Smt. JR,

I don't think any human being has so far been able to hear anything directly from any god; of course, some people have certain psychological deficiencies and some of these people tend to believe that they hear god's voices, etc. But a similar situation happens to some very old people also and psychiatrists give different names like dementia, delusion, paranoia, etc.

Again, I have not heard Christ talking to a hindu or Vishnu talking to a Christian, etc.

The "supremely vast set of philosophies, stories, beliefs, etc." have been created by human beings only, just as the rest of the entire literary stocks of the world have also been human creation. Man is intelligent and unified enough for that but the same Man is unfit to peep beyond death, including all those "supremely vast set of philosophies" and that sets the limit for humans.

Sir,

I am inclined to agree with you sangomji.

Though not many of this forum would appreciate your post.

Your thinking is very close to mine.

keep it up

best wishes.

Nehru had written to his daughter to seek an astrologer and cast the horoscope of rajiv Gandhi. He insists that proper solar time must be used for accurate calculation and not to use the common 'outside' time.
This letter to Indira was released by bjp. Nehru believed in astrology and in rituals too.

Originally Posted by sangom
Sir,

Respected sangom sirji,

will you please answer these questions:

1. all scientific truths and evidences are truths and acceptable evidences only within a certain frame work. So using scientific term we can say scientific truths are relative. relative to time and given conditions. Just one example to elaborate: the behavior of particles at macro levels and micro levels.
My question is this: How far is this kind of "scientific evidence" reliable?

2. My understanding of the situation is that science keeps exploring and when it comes across a dead end for the day, it just shrugs its shoulders and say "well. I know only this much with the current knowledge level. To know better I will wait until better facilities come. Then it goes to sleep peacefully leaving the individual observing to go mad. The question no 2 is this: How can you equate this science with the "exploration beyond" which is done in religion?

3. Religion does not stop with reaching the dead end. It rather starts from there, extrapolates, projects and reasonably assumes and hypothesises. Then it converts it into a faith and goes to sleep happily with its faith which is not just a cock and bull story. It is scientific upto a point and a certain amount of hypothesising beyond that. And that is not bad because it makes the human being a better one and a happier one too.

4. I understand well what you say when you talk about blind faith, folly and ego. But I, as one who understand all these and more of these which you have to offer, has thought about all these and yet has deliberately chosen to "believe". Would you still call me egotist and what I "believe" in as folly? My academic discipline is science(physics to be precise).

Last edited:
Nehru had written to his daughter to seek an astrologer and cast the horoscope of rajiv Gandhi. He insists that proper solar time must be used for accurate calculation and not to use the common 'outside' time.
This letter to Indira was released by bjp. Nehru believed in astrology and in rituals too.

Do u want everyone to take Nehru's action as the benchmark and follow astrology and rituals without any independent thinking.

I totally agree that blind faith is not good.

But for the average people to fall in line ,
our elders have made such customs and practices....................
to make people follow routine and
understand the facts behind the practices.

I think that is how Hinduism is made survive through all turmoil in society.

Since there are recorded instances of people in communication with god and hearing from god, your thinking to the contrary is your low end thought. You may say, I don't believe when one says god has communicated with him.

Maths prodigy, Sri Srinivasa Ramanujan has said that problems and solutions were told to him in his dream by Namagiri Thayar. Ramanujan had faith in Namagiri, faith in mathematics, faith in scientific inquiry and faith in our sastras.

Sometimes god talks to agnostics too, better keep your mind receptive else a rare occasion will not be recorded by you for posterity.

Smt. JR,

I don't think any human being has so far been able to hear anything directly from any god; of course, some people have certain psychological deficiencies and some of these people tend to believe that they hear god's voices, etc. But a similar situation happens to some very old people also and psychiatrists give different names like dementia, delusion, paranoia, etc.

Again, I have not heard Christ talking to a hindu or Vishnu talking to a Christian, etc.

The "supremely vast set of philosophies, stories, beliefs, etc." have been created by human beings only, just as the rest of the entire literary stocks of the world have also been human creation. Man is intelligent and unified enough for that but the same Man is unfit to peep beyond death, including all those "supremely vast set of philosophies" and that sets the limit for humans.

Counter question: Do you think astrology is blind faith? There is no independent thinking - it is thinking conditioned by a different set of standards and process.

73% of americans believe in virgin birth of jesus. Do you?

Do u want everyone to take Nehru's action as the benchmark and follow astrology and rituals without any independent thinking.

Dear Sangom ji,

I had known a Hindu person who claimed that Jesus,Shiva,Vishnu etc have talked to her and she said she did not feel like talking to Jesus but He was insisting to talk with her.

But I am yet to see a Christian say they spoke to a Hindu God!

But some Christians say that they had spoken to the Devil and the Devil was trying to tempt them!LOL

Sir,

Dear Sangom ji,

I feel both science and religion can NOT prove or disprove the existence of God.

In fact I feel religion does the most "injustice" to the concept of God by humanizing God and using fear as the substratum for worship in a blind faith manner.

Science on the other hand has pre-fixed notions that "What I cant see or can't prove verily does not exists"

So the path Science takes does not lead anywhere too but at least Science does NOT lead to blind faith.

So for me I feel to know God we humans have to ditch BOTH Science and Religion and only to realize that there is only SELF and nothing else.

Respected sangom sirji,

will you please answer these questions:

1. all scientific truths and evidences are truths and acceptable evidences only within a certain frame work. So using scientific term we can say scientific truths are relative. relative to time and given conditions. Just one example to elaborate: the behavior of particles at macro levels and micro levels.
My question is this: How far is this kind of "scientific evidence" reliable?

2. My understanding of the situation is that science keeps exploring and when it comes across a dead end for the day, it just shrugs its shoulders and say "well. I know only this much with the current knowledge level. To know better I will wait until better facilities come. Then it goes to sleep peacefully leaving the individual observing to go mad. The question no 2 is this: How can you equate this science with the "exploration beyond" which is done in religion?

3. Religion does not stop with reaching the dead end. It rather starts from there, extrapolates, projects and reasonably assumes and hypothesises. Then it converts it into a faith and goes to sleep happily with its faith which is not just a cock and bull story. It is scientific upto a point and a certain amount of hypothesising beyond that. And that is not bad because it makes the human being a better one and a happier one too.

4. I understand well what you say when you talk about blind faith, folly and ego. But I, as one who understand all these and more of these which you have to offer, has thought about all these and yet has deliberately chosen to "believe". Would you still call me egotist and what I "believe" in as folly? My academic discipline is science (physics to be precise).

Prof. Vaagmi Sir,

Elsewhere you had observed, inter alia, as follows:

"...When society understood that knowledge is real power, it had to find ways to sustain that power. The physical might which was destructive came in conflict with this. So it had to be contained with the theory of religion and God. It was at the beginning thus a need based clever response by those who had better knowledge and not physical might.

Later a lot of reductionism and 'dukrun karane' happened/came into play and religion became a highly complicated matter. That too helped it retain an atmosphere of mystery and a halo. When there is something mysterious the tendency is to 1)keep away from it 2)to call it names from a safe distance 3)to fear it 4) to give it respect and give it its due without disputing. 5)try to be in the good books of it.

This is the history of religions."

I tend to agree with much of what was stated above, by yourself, except that I have difference about the "physical might" point. I feel, on the contrary, that when primitive human society found nature and its forces formidable and consequently supposed that there was some very powerful entity, much like themselves but enormously mightier, the "god" concept arose. Some who were very sharp, foresaw the chance for them to hold their sway over the rest by giving shape to this god, and claiming to know more about this god than the others. I don't understand what 'dukrinj karane' you are talking about, but it was all a question of successful marketing of the said 'god', just as successful marketing of Horlicks is, today. The details of religion comprise the strategies adopted for the successful marketing.

Regarding item no. 4 of your post, you have obviously followed the alternative 5 (try to be in the good books of it), possibly because your rational mind told you that this would be more beneficial for your material welfare and creature conforts, while I am following a sixth alternative, viz., deconstruct, religion.

Just as a visishtadvaithin believes that this jagat is not a mithyaa and that it is all for real, science also believes in the same premise. Only when its canvas got extended considerably from the most fundamental of the fundamental particles and the "strings" at one end, to the expanding universe and the probability of multiverses, etc., at the other, science, it seems to me, has had to forsake the earlier premise of this universe being the be all and end all of everything. Whatever evidence science has collected, and whatever theories or conclusions so far accepted by science, seems to be correct within that limited frame work, looking at the progress made by humanity ever since thus far. Hence, the reliability of scientific evidence is not in doubt.

I would say that science has the humility and commitment to truth, for it to admit "well. I know only this much with the current knowledge level. To know better I will wait until better facilities come." But then it just does not go to sleep; it ponders and ponders, and capable people come out with various possible and probable hypotheses and then each of these are considered with reference to the available evidences and actual observations. Wherever the new hypotheses indicate some new evidences might be existing, science diligently, though slowly, tries to corroborate the proposition searching for such new evidence/s; otherwise that proposition is kept in abeyance.

Religion is, in my view, not an "exploration beyond", at all; it is just exploitation of human gullibility by using most excellent sales techniques coupled with almost expert psychological conditioning of minds of those people who fall into the trap; sometimes, traps are very obvious and even ruthless, like forced proselytization. Whatever is doled out by religion under what you have termed as "exploration beyond" is pure snakeoil, but, for the unquestioning believers of religion, these become scriptural truths!

Religion just does not start from the science's "dead end"; even philosophies do not all do so. I am not aware of any instances of 'extrapolate, project, assume and hypothesize'; it will be illuminating to all the members here if you will kindly furnish a few examples of each of these. And, religion has not made Man better or happier, because it is a well-known fact that more people have been killed, more atrocities committed, (are being killed and being committed) in the name of religion than in all other kinds of wars and conflicts.

To "believe" whatever it is that you like to believe, as long as such belief is not illegal or prohibited otherwise, may not be a bad idea. But if it is religion that you are talking about, I will say that your mind has been so well brain-washed. Or else, your rational intellect made you adhere to your belief, because such a course was more conducive to your well-being in this frame of reference than questioning its tenets logically. You may or may not be an egotist and that will depend upon the kind of response which comes from you for this post.

Academic discipline does not, in my view, relate to this issue; it is more a question of understanding the basis of religion/s and what objective/s religion had in its origin and how rational its premises are.

Dear Sangom ji,

I feel both science and religion can NOT prove or disprove the existence of God.

In fact I feel religion does the most "injustice" to the concept of God by humanizing God and using fear as the substratum for worship in a blind faith manner.

Science on the other hand has pre-fixed notions that "What I cant see or can't prove verily does not exists"

So the path Science takes does not lead anywhere too but at least Science does NOT lead to blind faith.

So for me I feel to know God we humans have to ditch BOTH Science and Religion and only to realize that there is only SELF and nothing else.

Smt. Renuka,

Science, AFAIK, does not claim to deal with the existence or otherwise of god; it is religion which so claims.

All religions are "cults" centered around one or more 'entities' and when the cult grows beyond a certain size in terms of followers/believers, it gets the more respectable "faith" or "religion" status.

I feel the sentence, "Science on the other hand has pre-fixed notions that "What I cant see or can't prove verily does not exists" is the bedrock of science, and it has helped science to make so much progress, human welfare and expansion of human knowledge boundaries. It is uncharitable to say that science does not lead anywhere.

I am of the considered view that you can ditch religion, but without science, you will have to lead the life of a Neanderthal, but even the Neanderthal had bone and stone tools! some science it is!!

Dear Sangom ji,

I had known a Hindu person who claimed that Jesus,Shiva,Vishnu etc have talked to her and she said she did not feel like talking to Jesus but He was insisting to talk with her.

But I am yet to see a Christian say they spoke to a Hindu God!

But some Christians say that they had spoken to the Devil and the Devil was trying to tempt them!LOL

Some days ago, I had written about a distant relative of mine (now no more) who used to have various gods like rama, krishna, siva, vishnu, etc., appear before him and, at times also say things to him, etc. As you are a doctor, you are the better authority to decide whether all these gods— with one neck and so many pairs of hands, many heads, peculiar faces like elephant's, lion's, wild boar's, etc., exist, and why they do not appear to all people.

Some days ago, I had written about a distant relative of mine (now no more) who used to have various gods like rama, krishna, siva, vishnu, etc., appear before him and, at times also say things to him, etc. As you are a doctor, you are the better authority to decide whether all these gods— with one neck and so many pairs of hands, many heads, peculiar faces like elephant's, lion's, wild boar's, etc., exist, and why they do not appear to all people.
hi

just i can say an real example.....i met a white gal in USA last week....she said that she had a direct talk with lord Hanuman....she is

catholic by birth....she had tumor operation last week....a kind of cancer.....she prayed hanuman chalisa in the operational

bed before operation....she had a negative cancer and success in the tumor operation....SHE IS MORE BELIEVER OF

HANUMAN THAN MANY OTHERS....so individual ....religion/science are individual choice...not a blind faith.....many

experienced god individually.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back