• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thaali: Whose culture is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What to do Narayan Sir! I am not well versed in Sanskrit. I sing only songs and don't chant slOkams.

Anyway, only when some point is presented, the counter point is got and hence the enlightenment!
icon3.png

Thanks for your post and for the 'padhukai' joke! :)

The guru-SiSya samvAdam was meant for **liberals** and I had clearly mentioned it in my post. You did not come out as a **liberal** at least in this thread so far :)

Dear Narayan Sir,
I can call myself a conservative liberal! :couch2:

I follow most of the Iyer practices but break a few rules too! :cool:

...... Why should one worry about the individual personality of the Members by screening beyond their writings. ......
I don't know about other members but I wish to know the personality.

Reason: I am fond of inviting forum friends to my sweet home and I should know whom to invite!

BTW, I have the highest record of meeting forum friends. :first:

Reason: I am fond of inviting forum friends to my sweet home and I should know whom to invite!

house is open for toothless mamas with high character.lol

RR Ji,

Instead of taking such a trouble, I suggest you can better insist the Members to furnish 'conduct and character certificate' and go for the selection of invitees strictly based on merits.lol

BTW you can also insist for Medical Certificate especially by Dentists, so that way, you can restrict the invitees only toothless mamas with high character.lol

RRji

pl. do not succumb to pressures and invite undesirables.

I am with you on this.

home is a very private space, jokes apart.

the way some people behave in this forum, they can hardly expect to be invited to any decent home

RRji

pl. do not succumb to pressures and invite undesirables.

I am with you on this.

home is a very private space, jokes apart.

the way some people behave in this forum, they can hardly expect to be invited to any decent home

RR Ji,

I also agree with Krish Ji

For heaven's sake don't invite undesirables. Use your own discretion. Don't succumb to others pressures.

They are some who needs to be kept at distance considering their words (belonging to sick society and diseased culture) and not deserving to be invited to any decent home.lol

Raji Ram;290826[COLOR=#0000cd said:

[/COLOR]

Keep it up Mam.:)

:focus: Many parents promise to adore the Amman's idol in some temple, with a gold thAli, for begetting a good son in law. :pray:

All the jewellery shops in Sing. Chennai sell 'thAli bottu' for this purpose, in all ranges. :thumb:

5ba5bottu.jpg
Courtesy: Google images.

Usually a thAli bottu is either plain or with a tiny design or has a stone fixed to it.

The Goddesses are either Sri Shakthi (her forms) or Sri Lakshmi (her forms)

So for, I have not heard of offering to Sri Saraswathi. :)

Some parents also decide to give a gift of thirumAngalyam to a poor girl to be wedded,

when the wedding of their daughter is fixed. :)

RR Ji,

I also agree with Krish Ji

For heaven's sake don't invite undesirables. Use your own discretion. Don't succumb to others pressures.

They are some who needs to be kept at distance considering their words (belonging to sick society and diseased culture) and not deserving to be invited to any decent home.lol

dear VB, i am confused now. are you and krish meaning the same folks in the forum? :) :)

dear VB, i am confused now. are you and krish meaning the same folks in the forum? :) :)

Sir,

I am sorry for having bothered you and others with such postings. It is intended to Krish Ji, my friend, who knows well whom
I meant.

Please ignore Sir.
:)

it appears some prefers public meetings to private conversations.

instead of using pm to address , they waste the time off all members to express their hatred full time of other specific

individuals .

Lead kindly light

it appears some prefers public meetings to private conversations.

instead of using pm to address , they waste the time off all members to express their hatred full time of other specific

individuals .

Lead kindly light

What is right for the goose is right for the gander also.lol

THALI is the invention of earlier men when he owned lands and assets to Mark his wife as his own asset, I, hope. So let us allow until the wife likes it. WOMEN'S FREEDOM IS POSSIBLE ONLY IF THEY HATE TO BE A JEWELL STAND. IT WILL NEVER POSSIBLE TO THE FEMALE FOR IT IS TAUGHT FOR A LONG TIME THAT ORNAMENTS AND OTHER COSMETICS ADDS BEAUTY.

THALI is the invention of earlier men when he owned lands and assets to Mark his wife as his own asset, I, hope. So let us allow until the wife likes it. WOMEN'S FREEDOM IS POSSIBLE ONLY IF THEY HATE TO BE A JEWELL STAND. IT WILL NEVER POSSIBLE TO THE FEMALE FOR IT IS TAUGHT FOR A LONG TIME THAT ORNAMENTS AND OTHER COSMETICS ADDS BEAUTY.

yes you are right...it's an ID tag.

I guess after man started to own land and property he wanted to make sure his real own biological child inherited his money etc..so he had to ID tag his wife somehow so that other men will lay off and not impregnate her cos a husband surely wants his own child to inherit his money.

BTW jewels do not always add beauty to a woman in fact at times its a woman who adds beauty to jewels.

Most Indian women tend to over do wearing gold and end up looking like a walking Fort Knox!LOL

Last edited:
Soundaryalahari:

गले रेखास्तिस्रो गतिगमकगीतैकनिपुणे
विवाहव्यानद्धप्रगुणगुणसंख्याप्रतिभुवः
विराजन्ते नानाविध मधुररागाकरभुवां
त्रयाणां ग्रामाणां स्थितिनियमसीमान इव ते ॥६९॥

O Devi highly proficient in gati, gamaka and gita (the essential elements of music)! The three lines on your neck corresponding to the three strands of the mangalsutra tied by Shiva on the auspicious occasion of your marriage lead one to imagine that they mark the boundary between the three swaragramas which are the sources of different sweet ragas (melodies).

GLEANINGS FROM SANSKRIT LITERATURE: SOUNDARYALAHARI (SLOKAS 51-100)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back