• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thaali: Whose culture is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thali is basically political issue inherited from filmy culture in tamil Nadu Hence it is deep rooted heritage here

Thali Penukku vayli ! - Glorified NSK decades back The Mantra is thali for boxoffice in Reel world You had pictur Thai Magalukku kattia Thali featuring MGR who never tied a thali in wedding scenes in his films in keeping with his Dravidan image! Elections are faught on issues like Thalliku Thangam!i

Hits Of N S Krishnan (??? ??? ??????????? ?????? ????????) - Songs, Mp3, Youtube Video, Movie, Padam, Lyrics, Paadal, Paattu Varigal, Geetham - Guruvin Inbaminge

DMK party symbol as 'thali' - The New Indian Express

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8JA2NqHHL4

Now women started asking Katthukku enna vayli ? Pennuku enna Thali?

What a let down!

From your previous researches you said Jesus was Lord Krishna and so on..

I thought you would say that Manu was Russian and was Rasputin!LOL

Bony M had a wonderful song 'La La Rasputin'.

Thali, mangalyam, mangalya dharanam is considered sacred and essential by many hindu married women. On 14 th or 15th of this month the devout and pious will observe nonbu and change the saradu. So thali is important to some whether the social scientists, pseudo seculars and hindu haters want them to do otherwise. I am sure meany married lady staff and wives of male staff from the hindu will observe nonbu, some with prior permission to report late.

Discussing use or non use of tali can be discussed in a tv programme. But the programe, it seems, contains dialogues and scenes with abusive and derogatory content - dog collar, throwing it on the floor and trampling, and issuing challenges. Some time back, neeya naana had a similar content, but the issue was settled when the protestors approached the sponsor of the programme and threatened to boycott their products. If the program contains violent content, and if the media is not willing to censor it, how to handle it in a non violent way. I am sure the producer will zealously edit scenes if a 'cross' or 'purda' is given the similar treatment. Kamalhasan hd to delete background chanting because it is offensive to some.

Recently in ndtv, shekar gupta was taunting shazia ilmi (ex aap) as aaya ilmi, gaya ilmi. Shazia retorted I can say the same about you - aaya ambani, gaya ambani. It was a live programme, and the producer was quick to issue diktat -chapo ilmi - this was silenced by ndtv, but social media showed it to the world.

Freedom to women is possible only if they justify their +ves and -ves. In my point of view their main weekness is "gold hunger".

This year 'nonbu' has two different timings but both need no permission from office, unless it is night duty! :)

1. 9 - 9.30 p.m. on 14th

2. 4 -
4.30 a.m. on 15th

One of my relatives said she was particular in the second timing but would NOT make sweet adais.

She wanted to keep only pazham and vetrilai as neivEdhyam. I told her to change the manthram from

'urukkAdha veNNaiyum Oradaiyum vaiththEn; orukkAlum en kaNavan piriyAdhirukkaNum'

to
'urikkAdha pazhamum vetrilaiyum vaiththEn;
orukkAlum en kaNavan piriyAdhirukkaNum'. :pray2:

Thali, mangalyam, mangalya dharanam is considered sacred and essential by many hindu married women. On 14 th or 15th of this month the devout and pious will observe nonbu and change the saradu. So thali is important to some whether the social scientists, pseudo seculars and hindu haters want them to do otherwise. I am sure meany married lady staff and wives of male staff from the hindu will observe nonbu, some with prior permission to report late.

Discussing use or non use of tali can be discussed in a tv programme. But the programe, it seems, contains dialogues and scenes with abusive and derogatory content - dog collar, throwing it on the floor and trampling, and issuing challenges. Some time back, neeya naana had a similar content, but the issue was settled when the protestors approached the sponsor of the programme and threatened to boycott their products. If the program contains violent content, and if the media is not willing to censor it, how to handle it in a non violent way. I am sure the producer will zealously edit scenes if a 'cross' or 'purda' is given the similar treatment. Kamalhasan hd to delete background chanting because it is offensive to some.

Recently in ndtv, shekar gupta was taunting shazia ilmi (ex aap) as aaya ilmi, gaya ilmi. Shazia retorted I can say the same about you - aaya ambani, gaya ambani. It was a live programme, and the producer was quick to issue diktat -chapo ilmi - this was silenced by ndtv, but social media showed it to the world.
All ladies change thread. bhuchandi mama is on the prowl.lol

Which communities other than TB celebrate karadaiyan nonbu in Tamil Nadu...Do other Hindu NB communities have any other day for changing thread

Which communities other than TB celebrate karadaiyan nonbu in Tamil Nadu...Do other Hindu NB communities have any other day for changing thread

NBs too celebrate Karadaiyan Nonbu.I have seen my aunts observe this.

There are some specific days where Thali thread is changed..I have seen NBs here do it with a priest at the temple.
But these days everyone wears gold Kodi so no need for changing anymore.

NBs too celebrate Karadaiyan Nonbu.I have seen my aunts observe this. ........
They must have some brahmin connection, Renu. I don't think NBs observe this nonbu.

Unmarried brahmin girls also wear a saradu on nonbu day. All the brahmin girls had tough time in school days since all the

N B boys and girls will tease us asking whether we go married without informing them! Those days were a sort of scary!

They must have some brahmin connection, Renu. I don't think NBs observe this nonbu.

Dear RR ji,

Karadaiyan Nonbu is not only celebrated in TN..it is also called Savitri Vrat and celebrated in some other parts of India.

I have seen my dad's sisters celebrate this and they are Non Brahmins.

Unmarried brahmin girls also wear a saradu on nonbu day. All the brahmin girls had tough time in school days since all the

N B boys and girls will tease us asking whether we go married without informing them! Those days were a sort of scary!

dear raji, i think nonbu was a tamil nadu affair solely. the pattars dont practise it i think. anyway in my house it was not done.

i used to view with envy in my younger days, when both B & NB classmates wore the yellow thread and proudly proclaimed nonbu. :)

on enquiring at home, remember mom saying, 'we dont do such things'.

infact i have never heard of karadian nonbu term before coming to this forum

Thali is basically political issue inherited from filmy culture in tamil Nadu Hence it is deep rooted heritage here

Thali Penukku vayli ! - Glorified NSK decades back The Mantra is thali for boxoffice in Reel world You had pictur Thai Magalukku kattia Thali featuring MGR who never tied a thali in wedding scenes in his films in keeping with his Dravidan image! Elections are faught on issues like Thalliku Thangam!i

Hits Of N S Krishnan (??? ??? ??????????? ?????? ????????) - Songs, Mp3, Youtube Video, Movie, Padam, Lyrics, Paadal, Paattu Varigal, Geetham - Guruvin Inbaminge

DMK party symbol as 'thali' - The New Indian Express

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8JA2NqHHL4

Now women started asking Katthukku enna vayli ? Pennuku enna Thali?

i dont know about sangam age, but all my rural brought up NB friends are strongly wedded to thali (sorry for the pun here).

the 'thalli arukkal' function is cut and dried, done on the husband's death.

or in some communities, an indication of divorce. the wife cuts the thali, hangs it on the door, while the husband is away. when he returns home, if he finds the thali hanging on the doorstep, time for him to go back to his parent's home :). the tamil communities are so varied and so heterogeneous, that our classification of all of them as NB covers more our prejudices.

the NB community, each of them in tamil nadu, is as varying in practices as the colours of the rainbow. what keeps them in common with us, are certain common functions, like thali. all tamil hindus. including the suyamariadhai ones :)

.... Karadaiyan Nonbu is not only celebrated in TN..it is also called Savitri Vrat and celebrated in some other parts of India.

I have seen my dad's sisters celebrate this and they are Non Brahmins.
Dear Renu,

I am still confused! What Wiki says about Savitri Vrat is this:

''On this occasion of Vad Savitri, women keep a fast for their husbands. They wear ornate bridal type dresses and jewellery. Their fast is observed

the whole night till the next morning. After ending their fast, fruits, clothes and such other articles are given in charity in a bamboo basket to the

saints. Women worship a banyan (vat) tree, and listen to the story of Savitri in groups. After this, women can offer prayer and worship. During this

puja, women pray for good health of their husbands. Women give water to the tree, holy sprinkle red powder (kumkum) on it, and wrap cotton

threads around tree's trunks. Then they go seven times around the tree (called the pratikrama).''

This year, Savitri vrat falls on 17th May.

But we celebrate this week end in a totally different way! :)

dear raji, i think nonbu was a tamil nadu affair solely. the pattars dont practise it i think. anyway in my house it was not done.

i used to view with envy in my younger days, when both B & NB classmates wore the yellow thread and proudly proclaimed nonbu. :) ...
Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

I have two surprises reading your post!

1. Patters don't practice it!

2. N B classmates wore yellow thread!

My dad and mom are Kerala Iyers and every year we observed this nonbu and relished both sweet and salt 'kaaradais'. :hungry:

My younger sister told me that there is an announcement in 'SruthivaaNi', a Kerala magazine, that we can observe nonbu

between 9 and 9.30 p.m on Saturday. All brahmins ladies I know observe this nonbu. Ram is Madurai Iyer and not a pattar.:D

All my N B classmates - girls - used to tease us for wearing the yellow thread! They did not have this nonbu.

i used to view with envy in my younger days, when both B & NB classmates wore the yellow thread and proudly proclaimed nonbu. :)

on enquiring at home, remember mom saying, 'we dont do such things'.

infact i have never heard of karadian nonbu term before coming to this forum

Not sure because many of my pattar friends & relatives celebrate it...

Dear RR ji,

I am also confused now..anyway as far as I know my dad's females relatives have observed it.

Kunjs might have a point that it could actually even be Tamil Nadu affair cos the Mantra is in Tamil and not Sanskrit.

On a personal basis I have not observed it before and I have only observed Varalakshmi Vrat and Karva Chauth.

For me as long any celebration involves fasting I do not mind observing cos it gives a rest to the Gastrointestinal system.

I have even observed Ramadhan fasting with my staff for the heck of it..at least for 1 day.

. the tamil communities are so varied and so heterogeneous,:)

I have to agree with you here Kunjs...each Tamil community have their own lifestyle and broad classification into B and NB does not really refract the light of culture.

I was filling up a form for my son's exam and in the form there was only 2 options when it came to religion..it was just Muslim or Non Muslim.

Back in my younger days the option for religion used to have Muslim,Hindu,Christian,Buddhists etc.

But just seeing two options Muslim and Non Muslim made me feel that the broad bifurcation did not reflect the diversity of the citizens in the place I stay.

I have to agree with you here Kunjs...each Tamil community have their own lifestyle and broad classification into B and NB does not really refract the light of culture.

I was filling up a form for my son's exam and in the form there was only 2 options when it came to religion..it was just Muslim or Non Muslim.

Back in my younger days the option for religion used to have Muslim,Hindu,Christian,Buddhists etc.

But just seeing two options Muslim and Non Muslim made me feel that the broad bifurcation did not reflect the diversity of the citizens in the place I stay.
muslim majority countries are becoming more and more intolerant of others.

places like maldives, religeous extremism is increasing.

Modi tried to send a message ,refusing to visit it during his present foreign trip.

To have such nations in neighbourhood is a threat to our security.

In course of time malay indians will face problems like lankan tamils.

even singapore is tightening norms for indian workers.

both work permits and citizenship has become difficult.

even if indian origin parents are singaore citizen, children do not automatically become citizen.

They require to stay continously for six years before being considered for citizenship.

my relative , since their kid was born in india are unable to get her citizenship since they were not singapore citizens

at child birth of kid.

they have stupid laws .

half my relatives family is indian.

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

I have two surprises reading your post!

1. Patters don't practice it!

2. N B classmates wore yellow thread!

My dad and mom are Kerala Iyers and every year we observed this nonbu and relished both sweet and salt 'kaaradais'. :hungry:

My younger sister told me that there is an announcement in 'SruthivaaNi', a Kerala magazine, that we can observe nonbu

between 9 and 9.30 p.m on Saturday. All brahmins ladies I know observe this nonbu. Ram is Madurai Iyer and not a pattar.:D

All my N B classmates - girls - used to tease us for wearing the yellow thread! They did not have this nonbu.

dear raji,

thank you for your kind info.

i can only speak for my mom and chithi who both grew up in badagara north of calicut. her mother was from tarakad, her father from pallipuram, both palghat villages.

my mother and chithi had no nonbu. infact the word nonbu was never used in our house, as it was considered a 'tamil' word. we had pondukallu idal and such, and when my mother told me 'we dont practise it', (she used the word nammaL ellaam panna maattom) she could have meant our family, and not the pattar community. i may have misunderstood.

incidentally, mrs K who is also a pattar, has never heard of this. :)

soon after we were married, i told mrs K that i did not believe in the 'sanctity' of the thaali, ie did not expect her to wear it 7x24 and she could put it on/off per her convenience comfort and willingness.

as i, as a man, did not have an equivalent imposition because of my wedded state, i could not honestly accept to impose something on my wife.

mrs K took my word for its true worth, much to the shock of my mother, to whom i had to explain, that my views, and reluctantly she abided by it.

i believe every man who wants his wife to wear thaali 24x7, should wear an equal weighted or heavier stuff around his neck.

k saheb
I applaud you .

most men do not realise what it means to have heavy gold hanging around neck 24 hours a day.specially in hot weather .

men feel similarly about thread[poonool].

when I was candid enough to say that it should be left in almirahs to be taken out on occassions., many stones were

thrown on me in this forum.

thats why I felt north and south , the foreign and south of india can never see eye to eye. the liberal mindset of

those who have gone out of tamilnadu can never be understood by those who do not have that exposure ..

compromises to suit local conditions is inevitable when one leaves homeland for studies or job..

i believe every man who wants his wife to wear thaali 24x7, should wear an equal weighted or heavier stuff around his neck.

Kunjs Ji Ki Jai!

Totally well said...A Thali Kodi 24/7 around the neck can be kind of uncomfortable to the neck.

Any sort of chain worn 24/7 can make us feel uncomfortable..sometimes the bare neck feel is very relaxing too.

A woman should have the freedom to decide when to adore her neck.

k saheb
I applaud you .

most men do not realise what it means to have heavy gold hanging around neck 24 hours a day.specially in hot weather .

men feel similarly about thread[poonool].

when I was candid enough to say that it should be left in almirahs to be taken out on occassions., many stones were

thrown on me in this forum.

thats why I felt north and south , the foreign and south of india can never see eye to eye. the liberal mindset of

those who have gone out of tamilnadu can never be understood by those who do not have that exposure ..

compromises to suit local conditions is inevitable when one leaves homeland for studies or job..

Dear Krish ji,

I really do not think only those in India impose Thali rules on their wives.

In Msia you can hardly find a Tamilian Hindu married woman who does not wear her Thali and Pottu.

If you do not wear Thali and Pottu right away you are asked on your face why you do not don it.

I remember when I was posted in a government hospital once..a young cleaner lady much younger than me asked me rudely in Tamil "Why cant you wear your Thali and Pottu like a proper Tamilian married woman"

I was shocked by her rudeness..being much younger to me and totally disrespectful.

I told her 'you do your work and do not ask me personal questions"

The next day I asked for a different cleaner to clean my consultation room.I did not want a rude person to be my cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back