• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Thaali: Whose culture is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
....... Kunjs might have a point that it could actually even be Tamil Nadu affair cos the Mantra is in Tamil and not Sanskrit. ....
Dear Renu,

Pattars aka KLBs (Kerala Brahmins - in a matrimonial site!) talk Tamil, mixed with lot of Malayalam words

and follow all tambram celebrations and also Onam! Since my dad settled in Tamil Nadu, only two of my

siblings who live in Kerala, after their wedding, have the specific accent of KLBs!

Once my sister's son exclaimed to my son, 'eththRa prAvashyam padakkam vedikkaRA!'

My son was clean bowled and rushed to me for a translation! Then I told him that he exclaims,

'How many times they are bursting crackers!' And... it was a Mariamman 'poo midhi' day! :)

Dear Renu,

Pattars aka KLBs (Kerala Brahmins - in a matrimonial site!) talk Tamil, mixed with lot of Malayalam words

and follow all tambram celebrations and also Onam! Since my dad settled in Tamil Nadu, only two of my

siblings who live in Kerala, after their wedding, have the specific accent of KLBs!

Once my sister's son exclaimed to my son, 'eththRa prAvashyam padakkam vedikkaRA!'

My son was clean bowled and rushed to me for a translation! Then I told him that he exclaims,

'How many times they are bursting crackers!' And... it was a Mariamman 'poo midhi' day! :)

dear RR ji,

How come Brahmins so easily 'pick up" the culture of the state their are living in?

Now I am more confused..so what is the original Brahmin culture sans adulteration?

No one imposes any rules on married ladies, Renu. We ourselves feel that 'thAli' has to be given the due respect. We feel that it is

NOT just an ornament to wear and remove as and when we like!

Usually, when a lady is admitted in the delivery room, the hospital authorities request her to remove ALL gold jewellery and keep safe.

So, one yellow thread with manjal kizhangu tied to it is worn, before removing the thAli. I was not asked to do such things because my

aunt was the chief doctor in charge in that ward. :)

I already wrote in forum that even the security officials at all international airports, allowed me to wear the thAli, when I told them that

removing it is inauspicious. Anyway it is totally a personal choice! :thumb:

....... How come Brahmins so easily 'pick up" the culture of the state their are living in?

Now I am more confused..so what is the original Brahmin culture sans adulteration?
Dear Renu,

It is not adulteration of any kind! We just love to celebrate festivals.

Many tambram girls celebrate RakshA bhandhan and Holi, in Sing. Chennai! :)

No one imposes any rules on married ladies, Renu. We ourselves feel that 'thAli' has to be given the due respect. We feel that it is

NOT just an ornament to wear and remove as and when we like!

Usually, when a lady is admitted in the delivery room, the hospital authorities request her to remove ALL gold jewellery and keep safe.

So, one yellow thread with manjal kizhangu tied to it is worn, before removing the thAli. I was not asked to do such things because my

aunt was the chief doctor in charge in that ward. :)

I already wrote in forum that even the security officials at all international airports, allowed me to wear the thAli, when I told them that

removing it is inauspicious. Anyway it is totally a personal choice! :thumb:
Dear RR ji,

But its still kind of feels uncomfortable on the neck to be worn 24/7...just like clothes..24/7 being in clothes is also not comfortable.. that is why when one is taking bath one feels au naturale and totally free and enjoys bathing!LOL

Dear Renu,

It is not adulteration of any kind! We just love to celebrate festivals.

Many tambram girls celebrate RakshA bhandhan and Holi, in Sing. Chennai! :)

Raksha Bandhan...is nice..I have never tied one on my brothers but I have tied one of a friend of mine and he is my "brother" till today.

Dear Renu,

There are brahmins of many types:

1. Strictly orthodox and traditional. They do Sandhya vandhanam thrice everyday and do poojas everyday.

2. Moderate in tradition. They wear the poonool and pray God everyday. Don't drink spirit, smoke or eat non.veg.

3. Liberated. They don't care for the poonool or daily prayers. They smoke, eat and drink whatever they want.

4. Most liberated. They are same as no. 3 and tease others who practice brahmin culture!

P.S: These are the main groups and of course many in-betweens exist! :dizzy:

Last edited:
i believe every man who wants his wife to wear thaali 24x7, should wear an equal weighted or heavier stuff around his neck.

Are ladies wearing only Thali around their neck and not other jewels? Nowadays, ladies want to be independent and act upon decisions which suit them.

Dear RR ji,

But its still kind of feels uncomfortable on the neck to be worn 24/7...just like clothes..24/7 being in clothes is also not comfortable.. that is why when one is taking bath one feels au naturale and totally free and enjoys bathing!LOL

na vivasana snAyAt !!! amRtam vA Apah !!! :)

Dear Renu,

There are brahmins of many types:

1. Strictly orthodox and traditional. They do Sandhya vandhanam thrice everyday and do poojas everyday.

2. Moderate in tradition. They wear the poonool and pray God everyday. Don't drink spirit, smoke or eat non.veg.

3. Liberated. They don't care for the poonool or daily prayers. They smoke, eat and drink whatever they want.

4. Most liberated. They are same as no. 3 and tease others who practice brahmin culture!

P.S: These are the main groups and of course many in-betweens exist! :dizzy:

What about AshAda-Bhoothis? Both ways ...pretending to be orthodox but not practicing anything in real life and liberals masquarading as paper tigers in this forum, but a sAdhu poonai at homes?

What about AshAda-Bhoothis? Both ways ...pretending to be orthodox but not practicing anything in real life and liberals masquarading as paper tigers in this forum, but a sAdhu poonai at homes?
They all come under the category of in-betweens, Sir! :)

Many are veettilE eli; forum-lE puli - but will never admit !! :cool:

Various site that give details about Hindu wedding never mention Thaali. It seems to be a unique TN and surrounding cultures, practice. It must have been included due to ancient practice.......
Dear Prasad Sir,

I checked Sri. Andal's poem and there is no mention of 'mangala nAN' (thAli) in her description of her wedding with the Lord.

Anyway, since a specific mantrA which blesses the couple for a long and happy life is created, it is good to have the 'three

knots ceremony' in the weddings.

P. S: Wearing the 'thAli' seems to be the easiest way to remember the dear hubby, all the time! :)

P. S: Wearing the 'thAli' seems to be the easiest way to remember the dear hubby, all the time! :)
Do you need a reminder? What about the reverse how does Ram remember you. In our marriage we have the electronic leash called the cell phone.

Do you need a reminder? What about the reverse how does Ram remember you. In our marriage we have the electronic leash called the cell phone.
OMG! I must force Ram to get a new cell phone soon and not to ask me to lend mine! :lol:

Dear Prasad Sir,

I checked Sri. Andal's poem and there is no mention of 'mangala nAN' (thAli) in her description of her wedding with the Lord.

Anyway, since a specific mantrA which blesses the couple for a long and happy life is created, it is good to have the 'three

knots ceremony' in the weddings.

Why not check Lalita SahasranAmam........ kAmesha baDdha mAngalya-sUtra Shobhita kanDhara...

The scriptural authority which the **liberals** seek to search remind me of the following:

Guru: SiSya.. ennudaya pAdhukai-yai pArthAayA?
SiSyan: AkAshAm ellAm pArthen....... engeyum kANalai guruvE !!!!

Many are veettilE eli; forum-lE puli - but will never admit !! :cool:

RR Ji,

How can you expect the veetilE eli; to come and admit before you that they are none else than 'eli'

One should know the difference between ‘Sweet Home’ and Forum.

Home is a place to dwell in, a place close to the heart with loveable members living together.

Forum is a place to spend time, leisure time, a passion, pass time, hobby, etc etc

Home consists of members bestowing love and affection whereas in a Forum, one may have friends, foes, Gurus and some may go to the extent of having a ‘Fan Club’ too.:)

And as such, an ‘eli at home’ need not necessarily behave like an ‘eli’ at the Forum also and similarly a ‘Puli’ at home cannot not behave like a Puli in the Forum.

Forum consists of various personalities most of them are learned, erudite and loveable. And there is Moderator to ‘tame’ the wild ‘Pulis’.

Hence, one cannot assess or judge the real personality of an ‘eli’ or ‘puli’ just going through their writings.

An ‘eli’ at home may write like to paper tiger in the Forum and a ‘puli ‘ at Home may write like a Ashada Boothi in the Forum.

Why should one worry about the individual personality of the Members by screening beyond their writings.

What to do Narayan Sir! I am not well versed in Sanskrit. I sing only songs and don't chant slOkams.

Anyway, only when some point is presented, the counter point is got and hence the enlightenment!
icon3.png

Thanks for your post and for the 'padhukai' joke! :)

Dear Renu,

It is said that little Lord Krishna taught the women folk to
wear 'kattikkaRa thuNi' while taking bath! They were all free birds

while taking bath leaving their clothes on the banks of the river / pond. To teach them a lesson, Krishna took all the clothes

and only then they knew what they should do while bathing!

In Ram's village ladies have 'kattikkaRa thuNi' which will be half of a cotton saree and this will be wrapped around when they

take bath. They come out with dripping water inside the house and take the towel from the clothesline, pat dry and wear their

madi clothes. Men folk wear undies and have bath.
It is followed till today! :)

P.S: The flooring of the house is with tiles and so the dripping water will be absorbed immediately! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back