• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Technological illiteracy

prasad1

Technological illiteracy is a real problem and those of us who work every day online and with technology often forget how overwhelming it can all seem to those that don’t. Teaching everyone how to use, manage, evaluate, and understand technology and information online is as critical a subject as reading or math. I believe that we have a civic responsibility to make sure that not just our family but other demographics that are routinely marginalized online have the tools they need to access information and engage in the conversations that will shape our collective future.

There are some English snobs who want to keep this knowledge to themselves. And assume that others can find it for themselves. I post what I think will be helpful.

Technological illiteracy is a real problem and those of us who work every day online and with technology often forget how overwhelming it can all seem to those that don’t. Teaching everyone how to use, manage, evaluate, and understand technology and information online is as critical a subject as reading or math. I believe that we have a civic responsibility to make sure that not just our family but other demographics that are routinely marginalized online have the tools they need to access information and engage in the conversations that will shape our collective future.

There are some English snobs who want to keep this knowledge to themselves. And assume that others can find it for themselves. I post what I think will be helpful.

Honestly I cant wait to go back to Stone age.
I have cut down usage of technology as much as I can.
For eg, I pound my own spices instead of a blender.

Shut my Wi- Fi and only use sparingly.
Use less of car and walk to nearby stores.

Using less of washing machine and trying handwash more.

Using brain more than smart phone.
Writing with pen in notebooks instead of saving in smart phone.

Only watch TV for 1 hour a day.
Hardly have music on...rather sing myself.

We would be surprised that the attention span, focus and mental calmness increases when we shut down external technology and use our " inner technology".

We tend to only think of technology as machines and gadgets.
Imagine a machine asking us to declare " I am not a robot" Captcha.

We never teach ourselves the inner technology we have ..we should have a balance of both outer and inner technology.

Good Renuka. I feel technology is being thrust upon. There should be a choice of not using technology. Right now it is getting heavily biased for tech inclined people.

Given Schumpeter’s comments on innovators and entrepreneurs – he once said that their work opened them up to “social ostracism and to physical prevention or to direct attack” – there could not have been a more suitable venue. Schumpeter wrote this comment in 1912. Which is to say that we have a long history of resisting technological advances. And it’s to history we must turn to understand why this is so.

UuxDXlLA0_HGJx8uRWOX5qoSU2zADAr5KOCKSVgu7G0.jpg

Image: INKCINCT cartoons

I can not get enough of new technology (I am learning every day).

The advancement of new technology has been taking place since the beginning of human history. From the invention of items like the spear and knifes made out of rocks and sticks to aid in the capturing and killing of animals for food, to items like the first printing press and the computer.

The advancement in technology has been exceptionally fast in the 20th and 21st centuries. With electronic technology and machines being produced and improved all the time, it was very likely that along with the positive aspects of these new advancements, people would also consider the negative aspects and look to criticize new technology.

Every day another company brings out something more advanced in an attempt to win the consumer war against another company. This consumerism is driving the rate of advancement faster and faster each year. The development of the iPhone by Apple is an example of this. Apple brought out a phone that could literally do everything and no other company in the mobile phone market could compare to it. Not only could you make phone calls and text, but you could also watch videos, take pictures and videos, listen to music, and connect to the internet, you had apps for almost anything. It’s the application market that really blew the other mobile phone companies out of the market at the time. You could download games, books, news, and social networking sites in seconds. Of course, this was a positive as people could use the phone to store data for work, education, and entertainment. But the negative claims began as well, too expensive, quick battery power loss, and could a device like this stop face-to-face communication altogether to name just a few claims.
Technology will always have negative aspects because it depends on what the use of the technology is for and who is using it; Albert Einstein once said ‘Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Technology is all about what you do with it, its humanity’s choice on whether the advancement of technology will be used for positive or negative outcomes.

Professor Vicki Hanson said: "The efficiency gained by conducting online interactions is not a powerful motivator for technology adoption by older adults who may be experiencing loneliness and isolation. In many cases, making digital technologies appealing for older adults means ensuring that digital engagements do not replace social interactions, and if possible, facilitate new social and community-building opportunities where they can meet people."

Researchers also found some older people use their age as a cover for other personally-held reasons not to engage with technology. For example, someone who doesn't like social media because they think it can enable cyberbullying may say they are 'too old' as a convenient and socially acceptable way to justify not using it, as there are fewer expectations for an older person to use social media.

Dr. Knowles and Professor Hanson call this 'playing the age card' and acknowledge the utility in older adults blaming their age for their non-use of digital technologies.

Dr. Knowles said: "Older adults themselves are often the worst perpetuators of the myth that old age precludes engagement with a myriad of digital technologies. Doing so allows older adults a privilege not available to most working-age adults to take personal stands against the aspects of technology they find worrying, threatening or just plain annoying."

One fine day a huge astroid will slam into earth and cut off all internet.
This is when our survival skils would be tested.
Off late, lots of astroids are moving pretty close.

Technology shouldnt be a burden.
For eg forcing people to renew passports online is not to my liking.
But those above 60 are exempted to fill up online and can just walk in.

Previously the manual option was to line up and it would be done within 1 hour by the department.

This is not fair to those below 60 who might not like doing anything online as much.

So whats the option?
Just wait a few years more and turn 60 or just dont travel.

As technology advances its still sane to keep manual options too for those who might not like technology as much.

At times I wonder how the Amish managed to survive with very little technology.

One fine day a huge astroid will slam into earth and cut off all internet.
This is when our survival skils would be tested.
Off late, lots of astroids are moving pretty close.

Technology shouldnt be a burden.
For eg forcing people to renew passports online is not to my liking.
But those above 60 are exempted to fill up online and can just walk in.

Previously the manual option was to line up and it would be done within 1 hour by the department.

This is not fair to those below 60 who might not like doing anything online as much.

So whats the option?
Just wait a few years more and turn 60 or just dont travel.

As technology advances its still sane to keep manual options too for those who might not like technology as much.

At times I wonder how the Amish managed to survive with very little technology.
Well said Renuka. It is ironical with so much power in human body and mind people think technology is the only way for advancement. If past is any indication reverse is happening. People are degrading mentally and spiritually though physical comforts have increased.

As you say there should be options. The opposition to any new invention starting from wheel is chastised. But with all those inventions upto supercomputers and rockets, is the world a better and more peaceful place now.

Let technology continue but let humaneness also continue.

A novel idea.
There are many banks in the USA which are NET Banks that have no brick-and-mortar branches. You either deal with technology or do without the service.

Another bank charges $15 for counter service but free online banking.
The old ways are dead, learn and use the technology or live a limited life.

I use minimum technology. Frankly it matters very little if I am online or not. Maybe limited in technology but not in peace and happiness. It is a traditional idea rid of non essential novelties.

The world i would say is jumping the gun.

It hasn't read or understood the plight of a child or a woman or a parent or many other innocents who simply because of the greed, lust, envy, hate of a ravager can devastate or destroy lives of such innocent people. Can technology give them a decent life? It more mars than helps.

We are getting the basics wrong. The ancient world was a far more righteous place. We are now really heading towards moral stone age. We need to get the priorities right. It is amazing with so many people no body has thought about the disastrous journey we are taking. The real problem is those who are right do not have the might and vice versa. The interests of a few dictates every others actions and even thoughts now.

Knowledge about how we go about life is what our current literacy is all about. Technology is the culmination of that How thing. It is an approach only. It cannot substitute the Why of life and what we want from life. If it purports to do that it can only be a pseudo or fake experience.

Before churning out inventions one after the other, the world should try to read and understand the rightful aspirations of fellow beings and only then can right technology which is a real boon to people emerge.

Otherwise it is a blind race to display who has more force and control over others and hence an inevitable disaster.

A novel idea.
There are many banks in the USA which are NET Banks that have no brick-and-mortar branches. You either deal with technology or do without the service.

Another bank charges $15 for counter service but free online banking.
The old ways are dead, learn and use the technology or live a limited life.
Honestly, how many people remember phone numbers these days?
We dont..because we store it in the smart phone.

Back in those days, we remembered even up to 20 phone numbered by heart..reason?
Because we had no smart phone.

These days technology has sped up everything..
Pros..it helps get work done but the cons are
1)growing impatience as the mind is jumping the gun and drop dead reactive..unable to be in the present leading to anxiety.

2)Technology doesnt allow our minds to rest and focus.
Just open any page online and right away many advertisments pop up here and there.
It causes distraction..cases of ADHD among kids and adults are increasing because of this.

A lot more cons.
The worst con of all is technology doesnt guarentee safety.
So many people's bank accounts have been hacked and they lose money and the banks dont bother at all.

In the good old days no such cases happened though all data was stored in books.

One of my neighbors grankid aged 5 cries the whole day just because his grandmum restricts his smart phone game usage.
The child throws tantrums the whole day.
All learning these days is mostly online related.
Thank God I was born long ago.
Its dreadful to see kids unable to write well because they type more than holding a pen.

Latest ads

Back