• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

sridhi baba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sai Baba of Shirdi is one of the persons whom I revere as an example for all other gurujis, swamijis, godmen, et al to follow. But I am sad that even in his name a big temple is raised and all sorts of poojas and other paraphernalia are done. I wonder why we cannot respect and revere a person except in this way.:sad:

sangom
sometimes even i feel there is should be someother way to respect and cherish mahaans like shridi saibaba, raghavendra swamy, sankaracharya and many other great gurus....pls shed light how else we can remember them without our traditional idolistic rituals ??

sangom
sometimes even i feel there is should be someother way to respect and cherish mahaans like shridi saibaba, raghavendra swamy, sankaracharya and many other great gurus....pls shed light how else we can remember them without our traditional idolistic rituals ??

In my opinion, we could have kept the "samadhi" of Shirdi Baba as it was/is and built a huge "maNdapam" or hall for people of all castes, communities and religion, to silently pray to the Baba or pay their respects in absolute silence. The funds for the construction, maintenance and upkeep of the samadhi and the mandapam could be collected by a trust and administered in the most transparent manner with audit and all of its accounts.

The same method can be adopted in the case of Raghavendra Swamy, Adi Sankara, why even Thyagaraja. Today we have a real cacophony being made without fail on the Thyagaraja aradhana day. I feel if Thyagaraja were to revisit that place today he would regret his not having sung the praise of the Lord in places where no other mortal could have heard them!!

namaste everyone.

My thoughts on the subject of worshipping gurus as gods:

• Every Hindu is taught in early life, about the four first-known gods:

mAatru devo bhava | pitru devo bhava | AchArya devo bhava | atithi devo bhava ||
--taittirIya upaniShad 1.11.3

This veda-vAkya prescribes that a Hindu should adore his/her mother, father and guru as gods, and serve a guest considering the person as a god.

• Thus, there is absolutely nothing wrong in worshipping the parents and the guru as gods in the form of a mUrti--image. In fact, the very act of saying 'namaste' is recognition of divinity in the person addressed, which is a rudimentary form of advaita.

‣ RamaNa maharShi built a temple for her mother and made his devotees worship her as mAtru-bhUteshvara, in his Ashramam in TiruvaNNAmalai.

‣ Recently, HH shrI Jayendra Sarasvati SvAmigaL sanctified the MaNimaNDapa temple for KAnchi ParamAchArya at Orikkai
: kamakoti.org

‣ KAnchi ParamAchArya himself knew and approved some of his devotees worshipping him with a portrait and performing puja in their puja rooms.

The purport of all the fanfare that goes with the Hindu bhakti is to involve the populace in their veneration of gods and gurus, in thought and action, because bhakti is a necessary preliminary step for seeking jnAnam.

hi sangom,

yes what u have said about silently praying is a really a practical solution !!

saidevo sairam.
• Every Hindu is taught in early life, about the four first-known gods:

mAatru devo bhava | pitru devo bhava | AchArya devo bhava | atithi devo bhava ||
--taittirIya upaniShad 1.11.3

This veda-vAkya prescribes that a Hindu should adore his/her mother, father and guru as gods, and serve a guest considering the person as a god.

acharya vaatsaayana has written,pathni devo bhava pathi devo bhava,in grihastha ashrama chapter.the best part is,acharyal was a celibate aka brahmachari.just a little tidbit of info i gathered.

sairam nachi naga.

AchArya VAtsyAyana's statement should really be inspiring for a couple. He is already pathi--Lord, so becomes deva. VaLLuvar has also said 'deivam tozhAl kozhunan tozhudu ezhuvAL', which reiterates the truth.

As to the patnI--wife, becoming god, it is due to her motherhood, it seems to me. As I have quoted in the thread 'KAnchi ParamAchArya satsangham' in this forum, Rg veda10.85.45 blesses a wife to have ten children and then have her husband as her eleventh child.

When poet BhArati related KRShNa paramAtman as his pati and patnI, why can't the couple relate to each other in a divine way?

sai ram saidevo.
When poet BhArati related KRShNa paramAtman as his pati and patnI, why can't the couple relate to each other in a divine way?

yes i agree,it's a divine institution ie marriage.and couples once married shud remain faithful to each other till death do us apart..our law's are strict in society now,as more than one significant other can be construed as bigamy or trigamy or polygamy.even though man by his very nature is polygamous,we have got brainwashed by women to be faithful to one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back