• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Smartha Sampradaya....A Few Insights....

Status
Not open for further replies.
re

sb!

how mleccha religion spreads is detailed in bhavishya purana.

regards

i understand bhavishya puranam's litreature.but each of us have an individual consciousness owing to many many samskaras of many many incarnations before this deham we are in today.jyotisham throws lot's of 'velicchham' on this subject.'mlechas' means foreigner not as 'achuths' is my understanding.when i say bharatham exported religious philosophy,it does mean thru an act of war,ancient bharathians were superb kshatriyans,vaishyans and shudrans apart from superb brahmanas.

sb

Raising kundalini is by sheer Yogic practice.
Knowing takes place by attending proper teaching.

A Knower of SELF need not to be Yogi and an Yogi need not to be a Knower.

there are some who do not believe raising kundalini is a yogic practice at all....this belief is existent among some yogis themselves...instead they say the kundalini is like the hiranyagarbha, the divine balll of light that can become awakened even in a man who has never practiced yoga nor uttered a single mantra in his current lifetime.. if he is "destained" to...

re

there are some who do not believe raising kundalini is a yogic practice at all....this belief is existent among some yogis themselves...instead they say the kundalini is like the hiranyagarbha, the divine balll of light that can become awakened even in a man who has never practiced yoga nor uttered a single mantra in his current lifetime.. if he is "destained" to...

bingo!on the dot p......

sb:thumb:

palindrome!

try to make sense of what you say - no wonder you are confused..

You try to learn what you can digest - anything more than that is not healthy for you..

You quote
the kundalini is like the hiranyagarbha, the divine ball of light that can become awakened .........

Sorry I couldn't make any sense - if other forumites could throw light ...that would be of a help

m m

Sorry I couldn't make any sense - if other forumites could throw light ...that would be of a help

i think,muladhara chakram is from the region of sex organs area lowermost,where the kundalini is located as a coiled serpent like a ball....is what p......means...but then dunno what goes between the space of two ears,who knows....as there seems to be a general confusion as such....i better chew my 'mambazham'..:)

sb

BALA !

IF A BALL OF LIGHT, IF IT IS ENLIGHTENED OR NOT? WHY BOTHER?

I mean a light is already lightened - why it should be enlightened again?

can you make some sense out of it?

regards

re

BALA !

IF A BALL OF LIGHT, IF IT IS ENLIGHTENED OR NOT? WHY BOTHER?

I mean a light is already lightened - why it should be enlightened again?

can you make some sense out of it?

regards

when all the 'I' s are lighted then you becomes enlightened ie (1) the first 'I' known by you (2) the 'I' known by others outside of you (3) the 'I' within you as a witness who is 'sath chid ananda' swaroopam=when all three 'I' s are in sync with whole 'brhamandam' then you become buddham or antargyani or trikala gyaani...nirvikalpa samadhi...turreeyam....:love:

by tantra its possible to use yoga postures to activate chakras or use beeja aksharams to activate to obtain siddhi prapthi or just plain siddhar state....so say the wise one's thru whose vision we all try to live....sathyemeva jayate:flame:

sb

palindrome!

try to make sense of what you say - no wonder you are confused..

You try to learn what you can digest - anything more than that is not healthy for you..

You quote
the kundalini is like the hiranyagarbha, the divine ball of light that can become awakened .........

mm,

i am not confused by what the monks say...i am only confused by what some brahmins affilated to some mutts say, because they come across as people involved in power struggle instead of anything spiritual at all....

and typically more so-called brahmins come across these days with gunas of warrior traits rather than anything else possibly thanks to the mahabharat times...

reg kundalini, possibly i do not consider you capable of digesting what the gurus say...so forget it...as for the forumites, can only say it is not something expressible in words, the guidance is thru transference of energy and marking of chakras, no place for words in that process nor in the reasons or sense of why it becomes awakened at all...

Smarta's View of Adi Sankaracharya

Adi Sankaracharya is universally known as the Acharya who first enunciated the principles of Advaita. In Hinduism the ideas always mattered more than the personality. That is why we have Advaita, Vishishtaadvaita, Dvaita and others. This is totally different from the Western way of thinking where the individual is more important than their ideas. Thus we have philosophies named after Aristotle, Plato, Kant among others.

Now Smartas tend to view Adi Sankaracharya as the founder of Shanmadha/Shaddharshana religion. He is credited with recovering the glory of the religion of the Vedas.

These two different views do clash. The historical image of Adi Sankara as the ultimate pure Advaitin clashes with the image of Adi Sankara who brought back the glory of the Purva Mimansa religion. How could a person who debated the Purva Mimansa people throughout his life turn to be a follower of Purva Mimansa? How could he become a Saktha Tantrik and author Soundarya Lahari? How could he become a Bhakta and author the various slokas attributed to him? The questions are many.

There is no historical evidence that Adi Sankara was anything but a pure Advaitin.

It is probable that we are talking not only about Adi Sankara, but also Sankaracharyas who have adorned the different Peetams over a period of time. Great men like Abhinava Sankara. Probable, but not confirmed in the absence of historical records.

In the early days of the internet this used to be the favorite topic of discussion on the Hindu usenet groups. Adi Sankara the Advaitin Vs Adi Sankara as projected by the Smartas.

The Smartas always defended their stand by saying "We know." Thus it boiled down to question of belief and not history.

Smartas should be aware of this conflict between history and their belief.

In my earlier post I was talking about an Englishman who said that there are no followers of Adi Sankara in India. That is because of his belief (based on published history) that Adi Sankara was a pure Advaitin.

adi sankara

when it comes to adi sankara,there is so many controversial articles.some insist he created only four maths.some claim,there is a sarvagyana peetham ,one in kanchi and the other in kashmir.....its not the same adi sankara,becoz the logistics of his time,does not make it a reality for him to have acheived these kind of stupendous feats....and so on

so,finally a set of people who are all the time engrossed in subjects like this,have used scientific reasoning which changes as per new evidences,says an entirely different article.

smarthas is a way of classifying shiva devotees.this is the only definition.from worshipping shiva it progressed then to parvathi.from parvathi to ganapathy.then to skanda.then maybe initially suryan aka souram.so,as society chugged along many such practices got incorporated,and the guru who was able to sell himself,sold the philosophy to people and it became the norm or standard.

each one will give his/her own gyaan,its upto people whether to believe or not,or the ability to acheive a particular thought process & influence in day to day life activity.

that is why our ancients called our practices as sanathana dharma.by getting inavded by aliens from middle eastern countries as well as far off countries like spain,england,portugal,france....etc each and every one of them left an imprint.despite so many invasion,what could be protected or preserved was done by people who were inhabiting for centuries together.

so,every tradition changed from its original inception as per time.smarthas traditions too change even during our present time and this process will continue.....

sb

Nachhi!

Purva Mimamsa is for SEEKERS of Swarga Prapti.

Uttara Mimamsa is for SEEKERS OF moksha prapti.
Once what is sought is gained HE is no more a seeker and so doesn't need to follow anything.

These are fundamentals - please get that straight.

If one say that he FOLLOWS a philosophy - then he don't understand what is "Philosophy" - Philosophy is for understanding and not following , IN THE CONTEXT OF OUR TRADITION.

It is a joke to say nobody follows "ADVAITAM" - NO BODY CAN - IT IS FOR UNDERSTANDING my dear, ask your englishmen to get the facts straight first.

There is another non traditional view of Advaita which is given here.

http://www.nonduality.com/

Ramana Maharishi is considered a pure Advaitin. The creation a new awareness about Advaita in the West is only due to the work of his followers.

There are a number of web sites which are listed here.

http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Religion_and_Spirituality/Advaita_Vedanta/

This article is basically to help the Smartas understand the their religion.

The eclectic basics of Smarta religion has been there for long. It is probable that the Mutts established by Adi Sankara took over this religion later to unify Hinduism.

Last edited:
adavaitins

adavaitins adopted Ramana Maha Rishi,as he was above such classifications of different schools of philosophical doctrines of sanathana dharma,is my opinion.

ramana ashram,thiru annamalai hills,the ambient surroundings,the rishis who come here on their own accord...this place is a must see and visit for every sanathana dharma believer.

i have to thank mahaswamigal for asking me to visit ramana ashram and many such wonderful places of holiness in india and world.

sb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartha

Last edited:
Religion is different from Philosophy. Religion is practice whereas Philosophy is theory. In Hinduism both are entwined. However Religion always includes elements which are not there in pure philosophy.

In practice Shaiva Siddhanta and Sri Vaishnavism include elements and practices which are not strictly as per the Philosophy on which they are based.

Milk becomes useless if it was taken out from a very low temperature just then and heated up with high temperature too abruptly.

Milk becomes useful boiled milk if the milk is heated up bit slowly and evenly for a longer time.

Milk can be heated abruptly with high temperature if the milk was already warm or at least not cold.

You might notice - Even milk has a past. People definitely do have a past - even a new born. We cannot generalize the way things happen for each. The past is too specific to each person. The time and temperature required is different for milk. The time and circumstances required for each human is different.

Destiny - a culmination of past accounts that determine the present or future - even though person may not know the past.

Destiny - a culmination of past accounts that determine the present or future - even though person may not know the past.

Very true...was told of an example of a person who lived a regular or normal life but one day felt a strange energy in him due to his kundalini being awakened and then later became a wandering monk...it was his sanchita karma at work..same goes for people who encounterd a specific instance in their life and then changed forever, (eg - sages like valmiki, etc)..

The question who is a Smartha is difficult to answer. Vashanavisam among Brahmins is mostly in the south after the time of Ramanuja.Otherwise all followers of the Dharma propounded by Adi Sankara are Smartas
In one of the earlier posts on this thread I read that there is alot of difficulty in pinponting Sankara's time.This is not strictly correct.As Jainist and Budhist litrature which can be dated give evidenceof his time.It is only bacause he is an Avatar he could do so much in such a short span of life,The Parampara of Dwaraka and Sringeri Peethas confirm this age of Sankara.
Regarding Kashmir there was no math established there.But he visited a place of learning there which had doors on all quarters and the door on the southern quarter was shut as no learned person from the south had come.Adi Sankara had a debate and proved his "learning" and the door on the southern side opened.That place is refered to as a Sankara Peetham.
Any master of Yoga can stimulate is Kunadalini and feeltheforce moving.
We as a community musr give upa lot of unwanted misconception we have from solely relying on Brahmnical texts and scriptures.The scriptures of the other Religions which originated in India throw a lot of light on Hinduism and Adi Sankara and his times

The question who is a Smartha is difficult to answer. Vashanavisam among Brahmins is mostly in the south after the time of Ramanuja.Otherwise all followers of the Dharma propounded by Adi Sankara are Smartas
In one of the earlier posts on this thread I read that there is alot of difficulty in pinponting Sankara's time.This is not strictly correct.As Jainist and Budhist litrature which can be dated give evidenceof his time.It is only bacause he is an Avatar he could do so much in such a short span of life,The Parampara of Dwaraka and Sringeri Peethas confirm this age of Sankara.
Regarding Kashmir there was no math established there.But he visited a place of learning there which had doors on all quarters and the door on the southern quarter was shut as no learned person from the south had come.Adi Sankara had a debate and proved his "learning" and the door on the southern side opened.That place is refered to as a Sankara Peetham.
We as a community musr give upa lot of unwanted misconception we have from solely relying on Brahmnical texts and scriptures.The scriptures of the other Religions which originated in India throw a lot of light on Hinduism and Adi Sankara and his times

Vaishnavism was in existence long before the advent of Ramanujacharya. Vaishnavism is based on the Pancharatra and Vaikasana Agamas and Shrimad Bhagavatham. The Vaishnavite Bhakthi movement was before Ramanujacharya. There is enough historical evidence for this. All the Azwars lived before Ramanujacharya.

There is no controversy now about Adi Sankara's period. It is universally accepted as 800 A.D. The Sankara Maths have a different date. Shringeri Math about 100 B.C and Kanchi Math around 400 B.C.

But now Shringeri and all other Maths have accepted the date as 800.A.D. Only the Kanchi Math still goes by its date of 400 B.C.

The historians have arrived at the date of 800 A.D after verifying many primary and secondary sources.

My article is mostly based on published religious histories of India.

re

i dont want to dwell into vaishnava or shiva debate.smarthas are the originals from time immemorial,slowly many sects creeped up and people formed schools and sampradayas.vaishnavism is so important for sanathana dharmas believers,i cannot even imagine life without vaishnavas.

while its nice to have third party view,but i think its prudent and wise to stick our own records.1000 years of alien rule ruined many of scriptures,many were even altered,i believe.so,i will stick with kanchi mutts version.by personal piety the gurus have shown their sincereity.

the islamic version of persian records,emphatically states,adi-sankara did establish his peetham.

every religion in the world emanated from sanathana dharma only.even abrahamic faith is from sanathana dharma only.so is sikhism,jainism,buddhism,...whatever..ism that is existing thus far.stop baiting brahminical texts and brahmins for gods sake.adi-sankara was a hindu,so we hindus know better.

sb

Nachhi!

Religion is the path to tattwa dharshana (philosophy)

To understand the Philosophy you need a path (religion)

A seeker needs a way to obtain what he seek. Religion becomes the path and what is sought is the tattwam (philosophy).

Religion is different from Philosophy. Religion is practice whereas Philosophy is theory. In Hinduism both are entwined. However Religion always includes elements which are not there in pure philosophy.

In practice Shaiva Siddhanta and Sri Vaishnavism include elements and practices which are not strictly as per the Philosophy on which they are based.

Last edited by a moderator:
re

Nachhi!

Religion is the path to tattwa dharshana (philosophy)

To understand the Philosophy you need a path (religion)

A seeker needs a way to obtain what he sought. Religion becomes the path and what is sought is the tattwam (philosophy).

philosophy & religion are two sides of one coin.

sb

philosophy & religion are two sides of one coin.

sb

sometimes the coins may be diff...

in the east, philosophers have been linked to religion..like lao tse (taoism), buddha (buddhism), confuscius (confusianism), shankaraacharya (advaita), ramanujaacharya (vishishtadvaita), madhavaacharya (dvaita)....

in the west, philosophy influenced religion, but philosophers themselves were not known to have been religious...some of socrates' concepts do not fit into the biblical idea of sin. Aristotle had deeply influenced christian thot. But in the case of plato, he started a school for philosophy....it was closed down because it was viewed as a threat to the church..

From S.R.K. The Smartha Samprathaya is a way of living under aGuru's Guidelines. The Guru will give INITIATION to every one and after Initiation one can lead a normal life and he will strictly follow his GURU'S advice.The Initiated one live in the world like a Lotus in the water or Swan. Every day he must wake up around 2.30 to 3.oo AM and start his Meditation for 2to 3 hrs. After that he should follow Moral life throughoutb the day.

Smartas - The Eclectic Hindus

I had posted about the Smarta religion and how it has evolved to be Shanmadha/Shaddharshana. The posts by members now is mostly in response to the immediate preceding post and not a comment on the thread as a whole.

Of course this is what happens to most of the discussions. It meanders and loses its way. :)

I would request the readers to go through the posts here.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=1989

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back