• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Silence is the right answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAIRAM Panvalanji. Indeed, well thought about. Good one. My views are reflected as under :

மௌனம்

மஹா பெரியவாளின் மஹோன்னத
தியானம்

யோக நிலை வரவேற்பரையின்
ஆனந்த ராகம்

தன்னுள்ளே தன்னைத் தேடும்
தவறா ஞானயுக்தி

ஒப்புதல் மறுத்தல் விலகிட
அருமை சாதனம்

அளவோடு கடைப்பிடித்தால்
ரோக்கிய வழிமுறை
-----------------------------------------------------------
அன்புடன் - நாகை ராமஸ்வாமி

SAIRAM Panvalanji. Indeed, well thought about. Good one. My views are reflected as under :

மௌனம்

மஹா பெரியவாளின் மஹோன்னத
தியானம்

யோக நிலை வரவேற்பரையின்
ஆனந்த ராகம்

தன்னுள்ளே தன்னைத் தேடும்
தவறா ஞானயுக்தி

ஒப்புதல் மறுத்தல் விலகிட
அருமை சாதனம்

அளவோடு கடைப்பிடித்தால்
ரோக்கிய வழிமுறை
-----------------------------------------------------------
அன்புடன் - நாகை ராமஸ்வாமி

ramaswamy,

can you please provide a commentary on this poem? thanks..

....What the poet coveys in so many line my பாட்டி put it in a single line "மலையபாத்து நாய் கொலச்சதா நெநச்சு சும்மா இருக்கணும் " It should not affect you

Hi, we all have the right to remain silent, it is actually a right enshrined in the US constitution. If one feels an opposing argument is like the barking of a dog, of course he/she must ignore it and go on his/her merry way. But, if I turn to my opponent and say his/her argument is like the barking of a dog and I myself am like a mountain for ignoring it, then I am not really ignoring the argument, am I? All I am doing is make gratuitous ad hominem attack -- not a very nice thing to do.

If one wants to remain silent, he/she must do so; rubbing it in is not remaining silent.

Cheers!

Sri pannvalan,

Your lines are nice reflecting your thgoughts.

Some similar ones I found amd copying and referring the links. This is sheer literary spirit .I enjoy such small and simple lines in curentperiodicals very much.
http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/chummaa/113944018638632..............."...விடைகள் சொல்லும் விருப்பத்தில்நீ இல்லை,வேண்டாம் எனக்கு விடைகள்,கேள்விக்கே காரணம் இல்லைஎன்னிடம் .புன்னகைக்க மட்டுமே முடிகிறது ,புரியாத குழப்பத்தை எண்ணிபுதிர் கேள்வி தானேகேட்க முடியும் .மாற்றங்களை ஏற்கமனதிற்கு துணிவில்லைமாறாதே என்று கேட்கவாரத்தைக்கு உரமில்லை.இருந்தும் உன்னிடம் தானேஅர்த்தங்களை தேட முடியும்..?

http://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/chummaa/113944018638632?v=info#!/pages/chummaa/113944018638632?v=wall

http://kutraalam.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-post_22.html

சத்தம் இல்லாத
யுத்தங்கள்...

இரத்தத்திற்காகவா?
இல்லை முத்தத்திற்காகவா?

Posted by கோவை குமரன்
http://kutraalam.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-post_22.html

I enjoy such crisp poems( poetic lines)

Greetings

...What the poet coveys in so many line my பாட்டி put it in a single line "மலையபாத்து நாய் கொலச்சதா நெநச்சு சும்மா இருக்கணும் " It should not affect you

This is a sane advise and not an order to be enforced. I Need not take the advise and Nothing prevents me from barking louder or even biting The basic idea is to be a coolant - reduce the heat I have heard her saying some thing like this மௌனம் கலக நாஸ்தி Of course Have heard this also மௌனம் சம்மதத்துக்கு அரிகுறி . I have 0 knowledge of Sanskrit and I understand that as Silence in this situation is ideal. It takes 2 hands to make noise with this silence one hand goes out of action. Even if it is taken as சம்மதத்தின் அரிகுறி the effect is the same Coolant. With or without Constitutional Guarantee Silence is no crime. It is even practiced as virtue By MK read me correct (Gandhi) as மௌன விரதம Jambu :argue:

Last edited:
nara always gets nice old tamizh proverbs which are pregnant with allegorical meaning.ellam mugha rasi or mabe if he still has kudumi rasiyo ennamoh :)

nara always gets nice old tamizh proverbs which are pregnant with allegorical meaning.ellam mugha rasi or mabe if he still has kudumi rasiyo ennamoh :)

My idea is that these arguments should sail smoothly வழவழன்னு It should not go rough and gritty நறநற !! Jambu:humble:

Last edited:
...What the poet coveys in so many line my பாட்டி put it in a single line "மலையபாத்து நாய் கொலச்சதா நெநச்சு சும்மா இருக்கணும் " It should not affect you

This is a sane advise and not an order to be enforced. I Need not take the advise and Nothing prevents me from barking louder or even biting The basic idea is to be a coolant - reduce the heat I have heard her saying some thing like this மௌனம் கலக நாஸ்தி Of course Have heard this also மௌனம் சம்மதத்துக்கு அரிகுறி . I have 0 knowledge of Sanskrit and I understand that as Silence in this situation is ideal. It takes 2 hands to make noise with this silence one hand goes out of action. Even if it is taken as சம்மதத்தின் அரிகுறி the effect is the same Coolant. With or without Constitutional Guarantee Silence is no crime. It is even practiced as virtue By MK read me correct (Gandhi) as மௌன விரதம Jambu :argue:
"மலையபாத்து நாய் கொலச்சதா நெநச்சு சும்மா இருக்கணும்" - This sentence might have been alright for the grandmother to tell her grandchild, but when used in a forum like this it definitely has sarcastic overtones, unintended may be. The one who "barks" here in this forum, meaning the one who questions in writing, is likened to a dog, while the silence-man (மௌனி ) - without answering in writing - is the one who stands erect majestically without reacting to the "barking" of the lowly cur.

dog is the most faithful,loyal animal a man can have,a best friend.ellamay numbho eduthukira vidathil irukkau illiyoh?:)

My idea is that these arguments should sail smoothly வழவழன்னு It should not go rough and gritty நறநற !! Jambu:humble:

vaazha vazha kozha kozha voh ennavoh...ships cuts thru water but here ppl are watering thru cut :)

I am really surprised by the sudden deluge of responses, after a long lull, as Dr Jambu said.

I wish to clarify certain points here. This was a piece written by me some 9 years ago. Not keeping any of our esteemed member in mind, because I joined this forum only a couple of years back.

The poem does not deal with the aspect of silence (mounam) in all contexts and situations. It talks about the hurling of questions, some of which are absurd. some of which are irrelevant and some born out of sheer arrogance.

I just wanted convey a question shall elicit the right answer it deserves. If it doesn't, the mistake could lie in the poser or the question itself.

That's all.

மௌனமே சிறந்த மொழி!

குறை குடம் தான் தளும்பி வழியும்;
நிறை குடம் என்றுமே தளும்பாது!
நெல்லின் பதர்கள் காற்றில் பறக்கும்,
நெல் மணிகள் என்றுமே பறக்காது!

இறைவன் தந்தான் இரண்டு செவிகளை,
நிறைய நிறைய நாம் கேட்பதற்காக!
இறைவன் தந்தான் ஒரே ஒரு நாவினை,
குறைவாகப் பேச வேண்டும் என்பதற்காக.

அறிவிலிகளும் அறிவாளர்களே, தங்கள்
திருவாயைத் தாம் திறக்காத வரையிலும்.
கன்று முட்டி, முட்டிப் பால் வேண்டுவது போல,
நின்று கேட்பவர்களிடமே நாம் பேச வேண்டும்.

பால் பொங்கிய பின் வெளியே வழியும்,
மனம் பொங்கி நிறைந்த பின்னரே,
பால் போல் இனிய சொற்கள் வழிந்து,
மனம் குளிர வெளியில் வரவேண்டும்.

பயனில்லாச் சொல் பாராட்டக் கூடாது,
புறம், கோள், வம்புகள் பேசக்கூடாது;
முத்து உதிர்ந்தார்ப் போலப் பேசினால்,
உற்று கவனிப்பார்கள் மற்றவர்களும்.

பேசாத போதுதான் நினைவலைகள்,
தூசாக அடங்கிச் சற்று அமைதியுறும்;
பள்ளத்தை நோக்கி ஓடும் வெள்ளம் போல,
உள்ளத்தை நோக்கி ஓடத் தொடங்கும்.

உள்முகமாகச் சென்றால்தான் பல
உண்மைகள் நமக்குப் புரிய வரும்.
உண்மைகள் புரிந்த பின்னர், நமது
வண்மைகள் நமக்கு நன்கு புலப்படும்.

அதிகம் பேசுபவராக இல்லாமல்,
மிதமாகப் பேசுபவராக மாறுவோம்;
சக்தி வாய்ந்த நம் வார்த்தைகளை,
யுக்தியுடன் நாம் பயன்படுத்துவோம்.

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

if silence is golden,then speech is platinum.

மௌனம் மொழி அல்ல .ஒரு ஞானியின் சிறப்பு

Dear Mr. Nachi Naga,

Any "Mozhi" is meant to convey a message, a meaning, a statement. A person can convey much more clearly through his/her silence than through a jargon of words.

Lord Dakshina Moorthy teaches His aged disciples through His silence and yet all their doubts disappear! Isn't it wonderful!

with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

Last edited:
To Smt,V.Rji wonderful posting. I fully agree that Silence is the best way for salvation and the original teaching of our vedhas,also all most all great reshies and to days morden guru teach the same. s.r.k.

Dear Mr.Happy Hindu
The quote is
Mounam Sammatham=Silence implies acceptance.
(The letter got posted even before I completed it.So let me complete it properly)
with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani.

Last edited:
Smile please :)!!!!

Dear Dr. Jambu,

I wrote this in a lighter vein, though I know nothing about the Paatti and thatha referred in your poem!

I took the liberty to add a few more lines (without asking for your permission)!

with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani

தாத்தா பேரு ஜம்பு;
பாட்டி பேரு வேம்பு!

தாத்தாகில்லே கொம்பு;
பாட்டி கைலே கம்பு!

தாத்தாக்கு எப்பவும் வம்பு;
பாட்டிக்கு எப்பவும் குறும்பு!

தாத்தா சொல்லு அம்பு;
பாட்டி சொல்லு கரும்பு!

Howzzat??

Dear Mr. S.R.K,
It took me this long to realize that Smt.V.R.ji refers to me!
Thank you for the feed back and my "naamakaranam" as V.R ji for easy usage:)
with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani (just Smt.V.R now!)

:)

தாத்தா பேரு ஜம்பு;
பாட்டி பேரு வேம்பு!

தாத்தாகில்லே கொம்பு;
பாட்டி கைலே கம்பு!

தாத்தாக்கு எப்பவும் வம்பு;
பாட்டிக்கு எப்பவும் குறும்பு!

தாத்தா சொல்லு அம்பு;
பாட்டி சொல்லு கரும்பு!

தாத்தா கையிலை சோம்பு
பாட்டி வாயிலை சங்கு

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt . -- George Eliot
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.-- Abraham Lincoln (also attr. Confucius)
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-- Mark Twain (1835-1910)
Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding. -- Bible, 'Proverbs' 17:28.

Dear Mr. Kunjuppu,
Strangely all the quotations suggest the same thing.. by remaining silent
a person may be misunderstood to be a fool, but by talking he confirms it!
with warm regards,
Visalakshi Ramani

"Solladha Sollukku Vilai Edhum Illai" - Kannadasan

A word that is not spoken is laden with greater and admirable meaning

But, it cannot be gainsaid "A word that is not spoken at the right moment, by the right person loses its purpose and relevance forever".

"விலை ஏதும் இல்லை" என்பதற்கு
விலை மதிப்பு இல்லை என்ற பொருளா?

"யாரும் விலை கொடுத்து வாங்க மாட்டார்"
என்று சொல்வது போலவே இருக்கின்றது.

சொல்லாத ஒரு சொல்லினால்
யாருக்கு என்ன லாபம் கூறுங்கள்!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back