• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

SEEKING ANSWERS :: Is a person brahmin by birth or actions and other questions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I am not really an authority on this subject but I certainly have the curiosity to read up and think on this subject. I breezed through 5 pages hoping to find a bit of depth and introspection in the discussion. Honestly, I did not see much. Here, I attempt to put down my thought process on what makes a person a brahmin.

Before we answer that, logic mandates that we first define who a brahmin is. This has been answered in the discussion as 1. Born into the brahmin community, 2. Completes Upanayam 3. Follows brahminical practices. I find all 3 definitions superficial.

Caste is a man made creation primarily for management purposes rather than for finding God. Thus Brahmins (token upper-class), Vaishiyas, Kshatriyas and Shudras came into picture. This is similar to functions found in businesses today (Brahmin - R&D, Kshatriya - Sales & Marketing, Vaishya - Finance, Shudra - Production). In the ancient age, knowledge was in Vedas and Upanishads. Those were the books of that age. Since then the we have been ruled by the mughals and British. Our knowledge base has built to be dominated by science, economics, management methods, literature and many more. Occupation is no longer defined by caste. Therefore today caste is irrelevant. All of us (any manager for that matter) need to play a role where we are brahmins (seek and dispense knowledge), kshatriya (sell our talents aggressively), vaishyas (trade money and benefits) and shudras (work hard and in a disciplined fashion)

Therefore, from this perspective, the answers are correct. Being born in a brahmin family makes one a brahmin. By following all rituals a person will feel more brahminical. But will he find God? Do the rituals lead to increase in knowledge of the highest reality? I have my reservations

Brahman, as understood in Sanskrit means knowledge, to elaborate - the highest reality or more simplistically understanding the nature of life and therefore God

In my mind, God means creation. Therefore anything has life has God in it. Which in turns means that anything with life (regardless of its relation or disposition towards you) must be treated like God i.e with love and respect. Anyone who understands this is Brahmanan in my humble opinion.

Yours Sincerely
Vinod

Brahmanism, in my humble opinion, is not about upanayama karma or sandhyavandhanam or vegetarianism. It is about understanding that God is nature and vice versa. Anything that creates (therefore plant, animals, humans, water, air, fire, soil) is God and therefore needs to be treated with deep love and utter respect - for instance Mother Teresa (assuming her actions were true to her public image) is a brahman.

Acting in accordance with this makes you a brahman. Whether one respects the nature through mantram or through karma is the individual's choice. However, I am of firm belief that action (karma) comes first. Following procedures cannot compensate for destructive actions.

PS: I had posted a longish reply earlier. Seems it did not get through

எது மூட நம்பிக்கை? --- கவிஞர் கண்ணதாசன்

எது மூட நம்பிக்கை?

By கவிஞர் கண்ணதாசன்

ஆண்டவன் மீதும் சாஸ்திரங்கள் மீதும் நாம் வைக்கும் நம்பிக்கையே மூடநம்பிக்கை என்று சொல்லும் பகுத்தறிவாளர்கள் உண்டு. அவர்களுடைய நம்பிக்கைகள் எல்லாம் கெட்டிக்காரத்தனம் என்றும் நம்முடைய நம்பிக்கைகள் மட்டும் மூடத்தனம் என்றும் அவர்கள் கருதுகிறார்கள். நான் சொல்கிறேன். நம்பிக்கையில் மூட நம்பிக்கை, குருட்டு நம்பிக்கை, கெட்டிக்கார நம்பிக்கை... எதுவும் கிடையாது. சொல்லப்போனால் நம்பிக்கை என்பதே ஒரு மூடத்தனம். அதிலே தனியாக ஒரு மூட நம்பிக்கை ஏது?
நாட்டு மக்கள் எல்லாரையுமே நாத்திகர்களாக ஆக்கிவிட முடியும் என்று நம்பித்தான் பெரியார் பிரசாரம் செய்தார். அந்த நம்பிக்கை எப்படி முடிந்தது? திராவிட நாடு கிடைக்கும் என்ற நம்பிக்கையில்தான் அந்தக் காலத்தில் பலர் தி.மு.க.வில் சேர்ந்தார்கள். அதன் கதி என்ன?
நம்பிக்கை என்பது இப்படி நடக்கும் என்று ஆசைப்படுவது. அப்படி நடக்காமலும் போய்விடலாம். அப்போது அது மூடத்தனமாகிவிடுகிறது. ஆண்டவனை நம்புவதிலும், அதே நிலைதான். அது தோல்வியுற்றால் மூடத்தனம். வெற்றி பெற்றால் கெட்டிக்காரத்தனம்.
ஆகவே, நம்பிக்கை என்ற மூடத்தனம் மனிதனாகப் பிறந்த ஒவ்வொருவருக்கும் உண்டு. அதில் ஆஸ்திகன் மட்டுமென்ன தனி ஜாதி! இதுவரை எந்த நம்பிக்கை எல்லா நேரங்களிலும் பலித்திருக்கிறது? ஆனால், நம்பிக்கை என்ற மூடத்தனத்தை ஏன் எல்லாருமே மேற்கொள்கிறார்கள்? அதிலே மனத்துக்கு ஒரு சாந்தி.
தெய்வ நம்பிக்கை, நிம்மதிக்கும் மகிழ்ச்சிக்குமாகவே ஏற்பட்டது. விஞ்ஞான நம்பிக்கையைப் போல் ஒரு கட்டத்தில் தோல்வியுற்றாலும் மறு கட்டத்தில் வெற்றி பெறுவதுதான் தெய்வ நம்பிக்கை.
"ஒரு சூத்திரதாரியின் கைப்பொம்மைகள் நாம்'' என்பது மறுக்க முடியாதது. மரணம் என்ற ஒன்று, அதைத் தினசரி வலியுறுத்துகிறது. இவ்வளவுக்குப் பிறகும், தெய்வ நம்பிக்கையைச் சிலர் மூட நம்பிக்கை என்று சொல்வார்களானால், "நான் ஒரு மூடன்' என்று சொல்லிக் கொள்வதிலேயே பெருமைப்படுகிறேன்.
முட்டாள்தனத்தில் இருக்கிற நிம்மதி கெட்டிக்காரத்தனத்தில் இல்லை. உடம்பிலோ எல்லா நோயும் இருந்தும் "ஒன்றுமே இல்லை' என்று நம்புகிற முட்டாள் ஆரோக்கியமாகவே இருக்கிறான். ஒரு நோயும் இல்லாமலேயே ஒவ்வொரு மயிர்க்காலையும் பார்த்து, ""இது அதுவாக இருக்குமோ? என்று ஆராய்ச்சி செய்கிற அறிவாளி, நித்திய நோயாளியாகச் சாகிறான்.
"சுடு' என்று சொன்னவுடனேயே யாரைச் சுடுகிறோம் என்று பார்க்காமலே சுடுகின்ற படைகள்தாம் நாட்டுக்கு வெற்றி தேடித் தந்திருக்கின்றன. அந்த நேரத்தில் படைகள் பகுத்தறிவை உபயோகிக்கத் தொடங்கினால்... பகுத்தறிவு மிஞ்சும்... நாடு மிஞ்சாது!
போரில் தயக்கம் காட்டிய அர்ஜுனனைப் பார்த்துக் கண்ணன் அதைத்தான் சொன்னான்.
"போர்' என்று வந்த பின் உறவினர்கள் என்ற ஆராய்ச்சி வெற்றிக்கு உதவாது' என்றான். கடைசியில் கண்ணன் மீது மூடநம்பிக்கை வைத்து அர்ஜுனன் காண்டீபத்தைத் தூக்கினான். முடிவு வெற்றியாகக் கனிந்தது.
கீதையில் கர்மயோகம் மானிடக் கடமைகளை வலியுறுத்துகிறது. பக்தியோகம், தியானத்தை வலியுறுத்துகிறது. கடமையும், நம்பிக்கையுடன் தான் நடைபெறுகிறது. தியானமும், நம்பிக்கையுடன் தான் நடைபெறுகிறது.
"மனம் உண்டானால் வழி உண்டு' என்பது பெரியோர் வாக்கு. அது மானிட தர்மத்துக்கும் பொருந்தும். தியான தர்மத்துக்கும் பொருந்தும். ஆகவே, தெய்வ நம்பிக்கையை மூடநம்பிக்கை என்று சொல்வதைப் பற்றி நான் வருந்தவில்லை. இந்த மூடனும், அந்த அறிவாளியும் நம்மிடம் தான் வரப்போகிறார்கள்'' என்ற நம்பிக்கை தெய்வத்துக்கு இருக்கிறதே! யார் என்ன செய்ய முடியும்?!

Brahmanism, in my humble opinion, is not about upanayama karma or sandhyavandhanam or vegetarianism. It is about understanding that God is nature and vice versa. Anything that creates (therefore plant, animals, humans, water, air, fire, soil) is God and therefore needs to be treated with deep love and utter respect - for instance Mother Teresa (assuming her actions were true to her public image) is a brahman.

Acting in accordance with this makes you a brahman. Whether one respects the nature through mantram or through karma is the individual's choice. However, I am of firm belief that action (karma) comes first. Following procedures cannot compensate for destructive actions.

PS: I had posted a longish reply earlier. Seems it did not get through

Vinodji,
Welcome to the forum.
Your post#51 and #52 are well written.
A sensible approach to caste, but I doubt it will be accepted universally.

The government even in the census asks for birth based Caste. The reservation is also based on birth based caste system. So this birth based caste system has entered into political vote bank and here to stay in India. So the caste battle will continue. No body really pays any attention to Guna based caste, and guna based caste is meaningless. Mother Teresa of the world would not care for this classification.

Pranams to all

Iam supposedly a Tamil Brahmin as my mother and father claim; Iam trying to seek answers for some prominent questions that are nagging me;

a) Is a person Brahmin by birth or by the way of actions ? What are the specific slokas and references for that in vedas, Sruthi and Smrithis ?

b) What are the verses/slokas in vedas and smritis that tell what a brahmin should do ? ( Sandhi, Agnihotram, Vaishvadevam)

c) Is there any negative effects ( Papas) for not doing nithya karmas ? If yes, what are the verses/slokas in vedas/smritis that explains the same ?

Thanks in advance for all answers and guidance;

Regards
Ramki

You cannot even beleive what your parents say. And you come here asking for suggestions from strangers??

To answer your questions, follow
Karma yoga- DOing ones duty without any deviation . If you are a soldier, your duty is to defend or kill. If you are a butcher, keep butchering. If you are an engineer, keep working.
OR
Bhakti yoga - Surrender on to God. Dedicate whatever you do , to God. It also includes Karma Yoga as mentioned above.

Other important duties are - respecting and loving your parents, Family, profession and the creator.

Do these and you become a brahman.

A person's atman is his son, we are here because our forefathers were here and they believed in us, they passed on their hard earned wisdom to us hoping that we will uphold the wisdom, the culture and the values and help them reach salvation.

Please note that our salvation/realisation is triumph for our entire birth cycle ancestors
We are their live's meaning, hope a cry for justice and pursuance of the path to reach salvation.

Well said sangom . Good description of what makes a person a Brahmin.
However it is favarouble to be born in a traditional brahmin family to take up the practice. Our birth is based on karma and therefore we can detuct that one has to be born in a Brahmin family and satisfy the conditions explained by Sangom. There are always outliers/exceptions in any system and the same hold true here.
So, in most cases a Brahmin is born that way and in some extrodinary cases it is through acquired knowledge. eg.Vishwamitra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back