• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Seeker's Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
namaste Yamaka.

You said in post #47:
Yes, people engaged in scientific thinking can criticize the People of God and Religion (as prescribed by their "Holy Books" of Vedas, Purarna, Koran, Bible etc) because the latter believe in Supernational forces and the so-called Poorva Janma Karma all with the intent to control, to regulate and potentially exploit the unsuspecting innocent people.

• A naive and simplistic opinion, as it seems/would seem to me/many of us here. The blind belief in science being all hunky-dory (judging by its applications and technology) and would solve all problems for man, is in iteself a superstition, IMO, specially when it comes to criticising the belief of religious and spiritual people.

• Supernatural forces? About what physical force has science come to a final conclusion as to its nature and ramifications? Electricity? Magneticism? Sound, heat, light? Gravity? Are they all distinctly different types of forces or more in the nature of all in one and one in all? Let us add the mysterious force of consciousness to this list.

• If science has investigated only the tip of this iceberg of this samsAra--world-process, Vedanta has a holistic view of it and gives a man a life of dharma to progress and unfold his true nature.

• If there are no religions in the world, people would be like those portrayed in the TV serial 'Two and Half Men': despicably promiscuous, with absolutely no values of dharma in life (although the series does have some sparkling humour at rare times).

• The ultimate analysis about science could well be that the many facets of the technology it has spawned (although not pure science per se) has only nurtured the assertion of the base insticts of man: kAma, krodha, lobha, moha, mada, mAtcharya, exactly which the religious and spiritual pursuits seek to regulate and diminish.

You said in post #48:
In the mainstream Plant Scientist Community there is very low enthusiasm for "the life force of consciousness in plants" or plants responding to music etc...they reject it as some sort of NOISE!

"The life force of consciousness in even inert materials like a sheet of tin" is a FANTASY, as GOD is, IMO.

I am not surprised at the complacency of science at anything that has beyond-the-physical implications, but there is perhaps another side, as links such as the following show:
Plant Consciousness
Plant Consciousness - Peace and Loveism - Experience the Consciousness Shift

The Secret Life of Plants
The Secret Life of Plants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Randall Fontes - From the Secret Life of Plants to The Play of Light

As regards your fantasy (in post #49) of science resurrecting men from their dead bodies, well, everyone has a right to dream and fantasize, but one thing: by the time--and if at all--such technology becomes practical and prevalent, you and I would have long gone and possibly reincarnated umpteen times, so why bother?

I raised some issues about my query in post #16 (regarding the world behind closed eyes):
What explains--or how does science explain in purely physical concepts--

• the consciousness behind the subjective pronouns and other references;
• where the space simulated in the visions behind closed eyes is located;
• why should not this space be trans-physical/metaphysical/transcendental, if science cannot explain it as of now with purely physical concepts.

Notice that such space is simulated even when I play a video game like 'The Doom' in the first person perspective. All that space is seemingly on the 2D computer screen, but is mapped to a virtual world in my mind as I play the game. Now, where is this space located?

Even if science has no answers to these issues as of now, if you can speculate scientifically on them, we can have some meaningful discussion, instead of us trashing science and religion.

Hello Saidevo:

" If there are no religions in the world, people would be like those portrayed in the TV serial 'Two and Half Men': despicably promiscuous, with absolutely no values of dharma in life (although the series does have some sparkling humour at rare times). "

This is a popular myth peddled by God-fearing people.. In fact, more than 100 millions of Atheists who do not follow any religion DO live a very normal life sensible, if not a better life than their God people! Many times, I have opened up my personal life just to refute this assertion...

You are living a very frightened life... believing in a Supernatural non-existent entity called GOD! I live a FEARLESS Natural life, not believing in any Supernaturality.. I am just a Naturalist. Lol.

"As regards your fantasy (in post #49) of science resurrecting men from their dead bodies, well, everyone has a right to dream and fantasize, but one thing: by the time--and if at all--such technology becomes practical and prevalent, you and I would have long gone and possibly reincarnated umpteen times, so why bother?"

This used to be a fantasy before Dolly The Sheep... now animal cloning has been already accomplished in dozens of mammals very successfully. The technology already exists, and to my knowledge human cloning IS happening - many Lesbian mothers raise their daughters as their clones!- all not known to the legal world as yet!

I brought this up to bring the contrast in our knowledge and the angle of thinking... how a "death produced by "God"" can be resurrected into a living being; in theory, when human cloning is legalized, "God given Death" can be permanently removed from the lexicon. Lol.

About "I" "We" Feelings and Consciousness -

When cells come together to form tissue, the tissue acquires certain properties NOT found in the constituent cells..

In other words, a forest gets certain properties NOT observed in the trees!

This is more so when you know about Sensory Neurons in certain parts of brain like pre-frontal cortex, the seat of feeling, abstract thinking and knowledge.

Stimuli from auditory neurons and visual neurons are constantly fed into these neurons.. These highly specialized Sensory Neurons "invent" new ideas and "discover" previously unknown facts and learn and express different language skills.

These Neurons of the pre-frontal cortex give you the sense of "I" "We" feelings and Consciousness, IMO.

No Supernatural GOD is in action here.... All just Natural... Neurologists need to slowly move ahead and understand it.

Till then, the God-fearing people can make up their own stories! It's their Civil Right, I suppose.

Peace.

namaste everyone.

Not all scientists dismiss God and soul as figments of imagination. Many scientists, who have had transcendental experiences, believe in them, as this set of archives indicates:
TASTE Current Edition (Recent Submissions) - Transcendent and Spiritual Experiences of Scientists

Thus, it is an interesting question if cloned humans (assuming it is possible) have different souls or share the same soul (if that is possible). Here is an appropriate quote among many others:

"Our souls are not defined by our DNA--otherwise identical twins would share one soul, right? DNA is the blueprint for a body, in which our soul may be said to reside. Building a duplicate of your neighbor's house does not replicate the family inside."--cupil
Would a Cloned Human Have a Soul? - Beliefnet.com

If this be the case, as it is well likely to be IMO, the presumption of resurrecting the same dead human by cloning would be nothing more than an urban myth.

There was an interesting discussion at HDF about a similar question:
"If all souls get merged with its source unidentifiably, then how would the same soul return to its body after deep sleep?"
Same soul returns from sleep - Hindu Dharma Forums

If Yamaka's opinion of consciousness (in post #51) implies a centralized consciousness in brain that is felt as collective awareness, I think consciousness is rooted right in the unit itself--atom, cell, tissue, organ and other upward aggregations of sentient or insentient form. However, the unit of form needs nourishment to sustain itself physically, which is why when a human dies, his individual cells being starved of nourishment, lose their individual consciousness that gets dissipated into its lower constituents, ending up with the atom. At the level of the atom, the consciousness is universal, in order to sustain this physical world made up of atoms as its building blocks.

Thus I think that the 'stories' of 'God-fearing people' will forever be in circulation with a better chance of presence of the truth in them than in the empirical theories of science.

It is interesting to note that many celebrity atheists and scientists had their death sanctified religiously:

Those who had a cemetery and stone/tomb erected:
Douglas Adams, Winston Churchill, Charles Darwin, Benjamin Franklin, Ernest Hemingway (suicide), Kim Il-sung (body preserved in a public mausoleum), Karl Marx (tomb), Friedrich Nietzsche (God is dead but I live in my grave?), Barack Obama Sr., Ayn Rand, Carl Sagan, Mark Twain, Frank Zappa (unmarked grave).

Those who were cremated with scattering of ashes:
Marlon Brando, Jawaharlal Nehru, Christopher Reeve (will the superman return from scattered ashes?)

The 'celebrity atheists' of TamilnADU, on their death prefer to 'sleep' in decorated graves where their followers would worship.

Ref:
http://www.celebatheists.com/wiki/Category:Deceased
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1481
Wikipedia

Last edited:
Dear Yamaka,

I say, "Fine.. do this.. once that death has occurred, pick up a few cells from this dead body from the mouth/cheek or wherever possible, culture it in petri dishes in vitro... then convert this fully differentiated cells into totipotent embryonic stems cells following established procedures... remove the nucleus of this cell and put it inside the egg cell taken from a fertile woman (after carefully removing its own nucleus).. activate the egg to divide in vitro... look for cell division and morulla and gastrulla formation... then implant it in the uterus of a surrogate mother.... a baby is grown from the dead person!"

I am curious:
Please tell me 1. what is the conversion process involved here? And what are those established procedures?
2. Can you do this with an egg taken from a dead woman? Will this still work to give us the result as "a baby is grown from dead persons"

Just curious.

Cheers.

Dear Yamaka,

I am curious:
Please tell me 1. what is the conversion process involved here? And what are those established procedures?
2. Can you do this with an egg taken from a dead woman? Will this still work to give us the result as "a baby is grown from dead persons"

Just curious.

Cheers.

Dear Raju:

1. Normally we define death at an Organismal Level, and not at the Cellular Level.. a physician will normally check for heart beat, eye muscle movement on lighting etc.. to pronounce "the person is dead".

Many minutes or hours after this proclaimed death, some cells of the body are still "alive".. It's known that cells layers in the inner cheek/mouth, liver cells etc are alive after "the body is dead".

2. If you are a student of biology, you know that cells can be de-differentiated and/or differentiated by treating them with appropriate "chemicals" or "hormones".. there are dozens of procedures... Google/Bing, you will get published protocols.

There are Labs where differentiated matured cells are routinely converted into Totipotent Embryonic Stem Cells, as in my wife's Lab today.

3. As you know the life of an egg is very short lived... if the ovulation just occurred and she died of an auto accident, and if you can recover that egg in time, yes... human cloning is possible with her egg.

4. I mentioned this "Human Cloning From Dead Persons" as a way of illustrating how Science can come to the rescue of unraveling the Mysteries of Life.... as an antidote for Supernatural God thinking! Lol.

I can elaborate on this if you are curious...

Cheers.

ps.. In a petri dish you can grow cells taken from different tissues of "the dead person" in vitro; if the cells grow, then it is alive and active, if not it is an indication that those cells are also dead! But, you can surely find live cells in the body of a recently "dead person"... how "recent" should it be? Well, the tissue culture will answer it beyond any doubt, IMO.

Last edited:
namaste everyone.

Not all scientists dismiss God and soul as figments of imagination. Many scientists, who have had transcendental experiences, believe in them, as this set of archives indicates:
TASTE Current Edition (Recent Submissions) - Transcendent and Spiritual Experiences of Scientists

Thus, it is an interesting question if cloned humans (assuming it is possible) have different souls or share the same soul (if that is possible). Here is an appropriate quote among many others:

"Our souls are not defined by our DNA--otherwise identical twins would share one soul, right? DNA is the blueprint for a body, in which our soul may be said to reside. Building a duplicate of your neighbor's house does not replicate the family inside."--cupil
Would a Cloned Human Have a Soul? - Beliefnet.com

If this be the case, as it is well likely to be IMO, the presumption of resurrecting the same dead human by cloning would be nothing more than an urban myth.

There was an interesting discussion at HDF about a similar question:
"If all souls get merged with its source unidentifiably, then how would the same soul return to its body after deep sleep?"
Same soul returns from sleep - Hindu Dharma Forums

If Yamaka's opinion of consciousness (in post #51) implies a centralized consciousness in brain that is felt as collective awareness, I think consciousness is rooted right in the unit itself--atom, cell, tissue, organ and other upward aggregations of sentient or insentient form. However, the unit of form needs nourishment to sustain itself physically, which is why when a human dies, his individual cells being starved of nourishment, lose their individual consciousness that gets dissipated into its lower constituents, ending up with the atom. At the level of the atom, the consciousness is universal, in order to sustain this physical world made up of atoms as its building blocks.

Thus I think that the 'stories' of 'God-fearing people' will forever be in circulation with a better chance of presence of the truth in them than in the empirical theories of science.

It is interesting to note that many celebrity atheists and scientists had their death sanctified religiously:

Those who had a cemetery and stone/tomb erected:
Douglas Adams, Winston Churchill, Charles Darwin, Benjamin Franklin, Ernest Hemingway (suicide), Kim Il-sung (body preserved in a public mausoleum), Karl Marx (tomb), Friedrich Nietzsche (God is dead but I live in my grave?), Barack Obama Sr., Ayn Rand, Carl Sagan, Mark Twain, Frank Zappa (unmarked grave).

Those who were cremated with scattering of ashes:
Marlon Brando, Jawaharlal Nehru, Christopher Reeve (will the superman return from scattered ashes?)

The 'celebrity atheists' of TamilnADU, on their death prefer to 'sleep' in decorated graves where their followers would worship.

Ref:
Category:Deceased - Celebrity Atheist List
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900) - Find A Grave Memorial
Wikipedia

Dear ALL:

1. Many Scientists are usually awe-struck by the Complexities of Nature... and the wonderment of Molecular or Biological Evolution which happened over eons of time... certainly they are not buying the stocks peddled in Vedic, Puranic or Abrahamic God shops.... Lol.

2. What's "A Thought" "A Feeling", although simple to ask as a primary question, the answers are very complicated as of now even for trained Neuroscientists:

I think.. as I write this...

"A thought or a feeling" is the electrical impulse traveling thru a particular sensory neuronal pathway which are connected by Synapse.... when the synapse is stronger the thought or feeling is felt stronger...."

3. What's a "Soul" or "Consciousness"?

A very high level sophisticated "thought" or "feeling" could be this.... no one knows more than this at this point in time...

Wait and watch, what neuroscientists will say 10 years from now.

Cheers.

ps. Many dead scientists -atheists- were given "formal ceremonial prayers" before burial by their relatives, who followed the tradition of the day dictated by the Tyranny of the Majority... for this, the Atheists are not responsible.

Dear Saidevo:

What's wrong really with "Two and a Half Men" or "King of Queens" or "Everybody Loves Raymond" shows? Let's see your Moral High Ground here!

Morality is a dangerous alley to wander! Beware!!

Cheers.

Last edited:
what makes cells alive.its the soul within it.what makes the soul have a cellular construction,maybe then the answere will become evident.

what makes cells alive.its the soul within it.what makes the soul have a cellular construction,maybe then the answere will become evident.

"The Soul" is not in a property of a single cell, as I understand it... it is the collective property exhibited by millions of sensory neurons in primates...

When all these sensory neurons die, then the Soul disappears.... the Forest has lost its unique property when all the trees are dead.... that's the imagery I have in my mind's eye! Lol

namaste everyone.

Yamaka said in post #55:
1. Many Scientists are usually awe-struck by the Complexities of Nature... and the wonderment of Molecular or Biological Evolution which happened over eons of time... certainly they are not buying the stocks peddled in Vedic, Puranic or Abrahamic God shops.... Lol.

When we are prejudicially contemptuous of the trans-physical reality in religion and spirituality, specially the Hindu religion, we tend to make sweepting statements, don't we?

Here is a small list of scientists of the recent times who thought otherwise:

Jeffrey Armstrong (Apple Computers), David Bohm (quantum mechanical physicist), Fritjof Capra (theoretical high-energy physicist), John Dobson, Albert Einstein, John Burdon Sanderson Haldane (world-renowned geneticist), Werner Karl Heisenberg (theoretical physicist), Prof. Brian David Josephson (Welsh physicist, the youngest Nobel Laureate), Glen Peter Kezwer (physicist), Erwin Schroedinger (theoretical physicist), Charles Seife (Science magazine journalist), Rupert Sheldrake (biologist)

Sheldrake saw how a subtle, trans-physical field was responsible for defining, regulating and advancing biological form and intelligence - like the akashic form-building of the Vedas. In 1978, Sheldrake entered an ashram by the sacred Cauvery River in South India. Here he extended his biological insights to include inorganic matter, formulated a scientifically testable theory and wrote a brilliant book, A New Science of Life. He called his theory "formative causation." It simply stated that the combined form and the learned intelligence/behavior of anything appearing in the universe - from an atom to man-is guided by a single morphogenetic (form-evolving) field: M-field for short. One field per new form, no matter how numerous it appears in our universe. According to Hindu metaphysics, this is precisely how the interior astral universe works., Paul Utukuru (physicist)

Ref:
Hindu Wisdom - Articles
Jeffrey Armstrong: A Western Master of Eastern Wisdom Home

Yamaka said:
ps. Many dead scientists -atheists- were given "formal ceremonial prayers" before burial by their relatives, who followed the tradition of the day dictated by the Tyranny of the Majority... for this, the Atheists are not responsible.

The responsibility of the Atheists (who lived that role in life) was to forbid any such ceremonies by any one after their death. That did not explicitly do it speaks only of their own uncertainty about their atheistic belief.

I shall post my impressions about the points 2 and 3 in Yamaka's post #55 and his explanation of the 'soul' in post #57 in another post.

Some possibly interesting articles on the subject

Computerized Gods by J. Weizenbaum Ph.D. | Rational Vedanta
Sanskrit and Artificial Intelligence by Rick Briggs | Rational Vedanta
Is Science Selling Out?
Science of Consciousness In Ancient India by Subhash Kak, Phd | Rational Vedanta
Subjective Evolution of Consciousness by Swami B.R. Sridhara Maharaja | Rational Vedanta
Has Science Failed Us? by Swami B. B. Visnu | Rational Vedanta
One Side Can Be Wrong by Richard Dawkins and Jerry Coyne | Rational Vedanta
Evidence for Intelligent Design from Biochemistry by Michael J. Behe | Rational Vedanta
The Clockwork Universe in Chaos by Richard L. Thomson Ph.D | Rational Vedanta
Can We Know the Universe? by Carl Sagan | Rational Vedanta
Paradoxes of Time and Space by Richard L. Thomson Ph.D | Rational Vedanta
Life in the Universe by Prof. Stephen Hawking | Rational Vedanta
Is Science a Religion? by Prof. Richard Dawkins | Rational Vedanta
On Mind, Brain, and Computers by Swami Sarvottamananda | Rational Vedanta
One Of The World's Most Famous Atheists Changes His Mind by Dr Benjamin Wiker | Rational Vedanta
Atheist Fundamentalism and the Limits of Science by Michael Egnor | Rational Vedanta
Taking Science on Faith by Paul Davies | Rational Vedanta
Theists and atheists: Reluctant bedfellows by Sean Murray | Rational Vedanta

"The responsibility of the Atheists (who lived that role in life) was to forbid any such ceremonies by any one after their death. That did not explicitly do it speaks only of their own uncertainty about their atheistic belief."

Dear Saidevo:

1. Yes.. the responsibility lies with the Atheists.. unfortunately, after death, they don't have any control over what the relatives would do! Lol.

For example, I am telling my daughter (who is 26 now and is an MD) that my body, after declared death, must be given to "Willed Body Program" in a Medical School or Hospital that she may be working... and after their full use must be buried in an unmarked grave of a public land owned by the City or State...

...I like burial over cremation because, I believe, cremation wastes the organic carbon already fixed "by the photosynthetic process", a very energy dependent process...burial allows the organic carbon to be kept in its current form to be circulated along the food chain.... I can elaborate on this, if readers show interest.

She said, "Well, I will do... but we need to prepare the papers according to the practices of that Medical School or Hospital... so let's wait for a few more years".

If my wishes or instructions are not carried out, how could you blame me after my death?

2. To me, "Rational Vedanta" is an oxymoron - Vedanta is based on pure "Belief" or "Fantasy" conceived by Vedic people.

Vedanta becoming rational is a wishful thinking of some Believers!

Take care.

....It is interesting to note that many celebrity atheists and scientists had their death sanctified religiously:
Saidevo, I see that this has become an issue now. So let me ask you to clarify what you mean by "death sanctified religiously"? To me personally, sanctifying death is a singularly morbid idea.

You have given a long list of agnostic/atheists -- copy pasted from elsewhere, with attribution of course -- whose death you say were "sanctified" religiously. In what way do you think these were religious? To bury and mark the grave is not religious in anyway, neither is getting one's ashes scattered religious.

To be an atheist does not mean his/her memory cannot be celebrated, with a marked grave, or a mausoleum. To remember the dead one need not be religious. One would think this is not a complex concept :).

Now you are talking about the followers. Why are you holding the leaders responsible for the weaknesses of the followers?

Let me give an example, I know Sankarachariyar urges his brahmin followers to give up silk and also perform nithyakarmas regularly. For all the reverence they like to show to the acharya, they take his advice in one ear, and out the other at speeds far exceeding the speed of light. Would you hold the acharya responsible for this? If no, why can't you show the same courtesy to those who are "celebrity atheists" to you?

To simply accuse the atheists as closet theists is, IMO, to show utter disrespect to their integrity. What if the theists, including great acharyas, are accused as closet atheists and pass themselves as theists only to enjoy popular adulation or social pressures, or irrational fears? I feel there is nothing to gain by this kind of juvenile exchange, amounting to nothing more than a barroom fight.

My request is, let us not second guess what the theists or atheists really believe, short of direct and irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

Cheers!

namaste Nara.

I did not mean to say that the 'celebrity atheists' (this phrase was not mine, but from the Website I quoted) were 'closet theists'; and by 'death sanctified religiously' I meant the religious blessings on their death with the honour of a funeral, address in a church (in some cases) and a grave.

• I can understand celebration of the memory of the renowned atheists, but why can't it be done in a different way than through the religious rituals of a theist, specially when they were dead against God and religion in their life? Yamaka has mentioned a different way of his post-mortem remembrance.

• As regards the atheists of TN, specially EVR, everyone knows what they were while they lived, so the blame IMO does not entirely fall on their followers.

Anyway, in deference to your wish in post #60, I don't want to pursue this issue further, since it is really a digression from the topic of the thread. It was prompted in the first place by Yamaka's repeated use of strong words for his opinionated and prejudicial expressions about God, religion, metaphysics and the people who believe in them.

namaste Yamaka.

You said in post #59:
2. To me, "Rational Vedanta" is an oxymoron - Vedanta is based on pure "Belief" or "Fantasy" conceived by Vedic people.

The term 'rationalism' is in itself an oxymoron. Here is how:

• Going by the definition of rationalism that it is a method or a theory "in which the criterion of the truth is not sensory but intellectual and deductive" (Wiki), if a scientist is a rationalist, he would contradict the principle of rationalism in an instance like the following.

• Rationalism is intellectual and not sensory knowledge. But when he finds that ultimately, according to physical science, the human thought process itself, which is powered by his intellect is nothing more than neuro-electro-chemical reactions, it becomes only sensory knowledge. When the mind itself is reduced to nothing more than the physical brain, where is the scope for intellectual knowledge and the rationalism that goes with it?

You said in posts #55 and #57:
2. What's "A Thought" "A Feeling", although simple to ask as a primary question, the answers are very complicated as of now even for trained Neuroscientists:

"A thought or a feeling" is the electrical impulse traveling thru a particular sensory neuronal pathway which are connected by Synapse.... when the synapse is stronger the thought or feeling is felt stronger...."

A very high level sophisticated "thought" or "feeling" could be this.... no one knows more than this at this point in time...

"The Soul" is not in a property of a single cell, as I understand it... it is the collective property exhibited by millions of sensory neurons in primates...

When all these sensory neurons die, then the Soul disappears.... the Forest has lost its unique property when all the trees are dead.... that's the imagery I have in my mind's eye!

• Logically, an effect is different from its cause, right? What you have described as thought/feeling/soul/consciousness above are the ramifications of a cause. So this raises questions such as:

‣ What is the cause of a thought? How did the thought arise in the first place?

‣ I am able use my willpower to cause and stop a thought. What is this willpower in me that rules my personality?

‣ Who controls the voluntary actions of the brain? Using your forest-tree analogy, would it be right to say that it is the forest that controls the trees?

‣ If the soul or total individual consciousness of a person is a "collective property exhibited by millions of sensory neurons in primates", would this mean that a handicapped person has a lesser amount of soul or total individual consciousness than a normal person?

namaste Yamaka.

You said in post #59:

The term 'rationalism' is in itself an oxymoron. Here is how:

• Going by the definition of rationalism that it is a method or a theory "in which the criterion of the truth is not sensory but intellectual and deductive" (Wiki), if a scientist is a rationalist, he would contradict the principle of rationalism in an instance like the following.

• Rationalism is intellectual and not sensory knowledge. But when he finds that ultimately, according to physical science, the human thought process itself, which is powered by his intellect is nothing more than neuro-electro-chemical reactions, it becomes only sensory knowledge. When the mind itself is reduced to nothing more than the physical brain, where is the scope for intellectual knowledge and the rationalism that goes with it?

You said in posts #55 and #57:

When all these sensory neurons die, then the Soul disappears.... the Forest has lost its unique property when all the trees are dead.... that's the imagery I have in my mind's eye!

• Logically, an effect is different from its cause, right? What you have described as thought/feeling/soul/consciousness above are the ramifications of a cause. So this raises questions such as:

‣ What is the cause of a thought? How did the thought arise in the first place?

‣ I am able use my willpower to cause and stop a thought. What is this willpower in me that rules my personality?

‣ Who controls the voluntary actions of the brain? Using your forest-tree analogy, would it be right to say that it is the forest that controls the trees?

‣ If the soul or total individual consciousness of a person is a "collective property exhibited by millions of sensory neurons in primates", would this mean that a handicapped person has a lesser amount of soul or total individual consciousness than a normal person?

Hello Saidevo:

1. In my mind the definition of Rationalism is "the principle or habit of accepting REASON as the supreme authority in matters of opinion, belief or conduct, and is independent of (personal) experience".

In this sense, I contend that Vedanta is NOT based on Rationalism... while Science is strictly rational.

2. What's the cause of a thought?

Here, for example, when I "attempt" to answer this question, a series of electrochemical and biochemical reactions occur in my sensory neuronal pathway, electrical impulses pass thru a certain pathway... boom now I have answered this question in a matter of 10 seconds....

All this happens in the Natural world... Nothing Supernatural... No God is involved here.

That's all..

Take care.

ps.

A "mentally handicapped person" perhaps has soul and consciousness NOT as "robust" as the so-called "healthy person", IMO.

Who controls the voluntary action of the brain? The individual controls all voluntary actions..again, there is a whole world of "involuntary electrical impulses" constantly racing in the neuro-circuitry.. some of which is "felt" as dreams in day or night..

My "Forest Analogy" here is akin to another well known material all around us..WATER. As a chemical H2O is a very simple molecule, but water gains its enormous property because of it's INTER-MOLECULAR hydrogen bonding. Likewise, a single sensory neuron is NOT capable of "Thought" "Feeling" "Soul" or "Consciousness" etc... but its SYNAPSE with many other sensory neurons in the neuro-circuitry that endows all this property... this MUST be understood clearly.

Neuroscientists endeavor to understand and decipher the Nature of this neuro-circuitry and the mapping of this circuity (like where the signal starts, thru which neuron(s) it passes thru to create the circuitry for each "Feeling" etc.

The watch word is "Synaptic Plasticity" in the Neuro-Circuitry....How many billion circuits are there?

When seven notes in Music and 26 alphabets in English language can create billions of volumes of music/books and reviews, then how many billion circuits can hundreds of millions of sensory neurons create?

That's the most awe-inspiring aspect of Nature! God has no business there, IMO...

Cheers.

Last edited:
namaste Nara.

I did not mean to say that the 'celebrity atheists' (this phrase was not mine, but from the Website I quoted) were 'closet theists'; and by 'death sanctified religiously' I meant the religious blessings on their death with the honour of a funeral, address in a church (in some cases) and a grave.

• I can understand celebration of the memory of the renowned atheists, but why can't it be done in a different way than through the religious rituals of a theist, specially when they were dead against God and religion in their life? Yamaka has mentioned a different way of his post-mortem remembrance.

• As regards the atheists of TN, specially EVR, everyone knows what they were while they lived, so the blame IMO does not entirely fall on their followers.

Anyway, in deference to your wish in post #60, I don't want to pursue this issue further, since it is really a digression from the topic of the thread. It was prompted in the first place by Yamaka's repeated use of strong words for his opinionated and prejudicial expressions about God, religion, metaphysics and the people who believe in them.

"Yamaka's repeated use of strong words for his opinionated and prejudicial expressions about God, religion, metaphysics and the people who believe in them."

Well, I have said that people have their Religious Freedom... it's their Civil Right...

But commentary about Religion and the man-mad Gods is in the public domain...

As Atheists are routinely abused by the organized religious people all over the world, they have to stand up and give their view on this matter.... that perhaps hurts "their God-given feelings" Lol.

I guess that's the Nature of the Beast!

Peace.

...' I meant the religious blessings on their death with the honour of a funeral, address in a church (in some cases) and a grave.
Come on Saidevo, you can't just assert this again and again. You say you want to honor my request not to question their integrity and yet unable to just resist the itch. Now I have to insist that you put up some evidence that these people had religious funerals -- just some web site won't do.

... As regards the atheists of TN, specially EVR, everyone knows what they were while they lived, so the blame IMO does not entirely fall on their followers.
Yes, we all know the contempt EVR had for belief in god, he was quite open about it. So how can any hypocrisy of his followers rub off on him, what is the basis? You have anything more than mere "IMO"?

You have to come up with more than "IMO" to question the integrity of leaders held in high esteem. Remember, if you can question the integrity of those who lived without faith with nothing more than some random web site and a "IMO", then you have to brace yourself for possible criticism of many a godmen you respect. This can only lead to a pissing contest, is this what you want to start?

Cheers!

namaste Yamaka and others.

I was under the impression that you have dismissed subjective pronouns and references as nothing more than neurological ramifications; if this is so, you cannot yet desist from using 'In my mind', 'I contend', 'I "attempt"', 'my sensory neuronal pathway' and so on (post #63). (I am not talking about the language here, but the consciousness behind these subjective references.)

• I don't mind it, but can you explain scientifically the difference between 'I' and 'my'? If my brain is the same as the 'I' in me, why call it 'my brain' and who calls it so?

• This is where, we confuse the cause and effect. Although every effect can be a cause to another effect in a chain-reactional series of events, there is always a singular cause at the top of the hierarchy, which is external to all other subsidiary causes.

• To give an analogy, a computer software is frozen as bits in its chitta--the hard disk. When it is launched, it gains an 'individual consciousness--ahaMkAra' (so to say), plays out its 'thoughts' in the field of computer memory--manas, guards against harmful interruptions--buddhi, and causes a series of magneto-electrical and some audio-visual effects, that are heard in the microphone and seen on the computer screen--indriya.

The point is, it is always an external cause that launches the software--and I am not referring to the power switch, but to a human being who wants the software launched.

• The human brain is just a biological computer system. When you think, it is not your brain that thinks: you think and your brain executes your thought. The question is to find out the 'you'. Just as a conscious man is behind a computer, there is a universal consciousness behind man.

You said in post #63:
A "mentally handicapped person" perhaps has soul and consciousness NOT as "robust" as the so-called "healthy person", IMO.

• This is ridiculous. When something is 'busted' in a person and he/she becomes handicapped, it is only the body that loses its 'robustness', not the mind (except in the case of insanity). So, the total individual consciousness aka soul is not affected.

• This reminds me of something I read in Arthur Hailey's novel 'Final Diagnosis': A man gets his leg amputated in a surgery. For sometime thereafter, his brain refuses to accept the absence of a leg, so he says that he still feels an itch in his amputated leg and asks his friend to 'scratch it for me'.

• The brain itself is unconscious in deep sleep and still we feel having slept well when we are awake.

Who controls the voluntary action of the brain? The individual controls all voluntary actions..again, there is a whole world of "involuntary electrical impulses" constantly racing in the neuro-circuitry.. some of which is "felt" as dreams in day or night.

• This again is a vague statement: who is that individual who controls all voluntary actions of his brain?

• I have found even a partially digested stomach after a heavy dinner to cause dreams. Such is the case of sleeping under a heavy log in the ceiling. Do neuro scientists say that all our memory from day one of our birth are stored in the brain (to cause the dreams)? If so where and how are they stored?

My "Forest Analogy" here is akin to another well known material all around us..WATER. As a chemical H2O is a very simple molecule, but water gains its enormous property because of it's INTER-MOLECULAR hydrogen bonding. Likewise, a single sensory neuron is NOT capable of "Thought" "Feeling" "Soul" or "Consciousness" etc... but its SYNAPSE with many other sensory neurons in the neuro-circuitry that endows all this property... this MUST be understood clearly.

• You have also said in post #57 that 'the soul' is a collective property. Earlier, smt.ReNukA explained how we can be simultaneously conscious of an image in the forground and an image generated by a thought. If the total consciousness of an individual is a collective, bonded property, why is it not uniform and singular as in the case of water?

In other words, how do you explain the different states of awareness a person has at the same time in the waking state? How does it explain the fact that I can also 'think' about what happens around in my dream?

The watch word is "Synaptic Plasticity" in the Neuro-Circuitry....How many billion circuits are there?

• I understand that 'synapse' is the minute space between two nerve cells through which they communicate. So, there is a space field--AkAsha, working as the background of the brain and its nervous system, just as in the case of every other phenomenon.

• This space is not empty, but filled with energy. How do you know for certain that this energy is not infused with a universal consciousness, which I say is what works as the total individual consciousness aka an individual soul (limited by a body), which in turn, is the primary cause behind the brain.

• In other words, what we call our mind is not located in the brain, but outside it in trans-physical space (actually in the mental body--manomaya-=kosha).

When seven notes in Music and 26 alphabets in English language can create billions of volumes of music/books and reviews, then how many billion circuits can hundreds of millions of sensory neurons create?

That's the most awe-inspiring aspect of Nature! God has no business there, IMO...

Nicely put, the first para. Like Nature, the brain does not work in random, but in tandem with a total individual consciousness, which rules the brain even as a universal consciousness rules the Nature.

Last edited:
Here is an extract about the physical and metaphysical realities of consciousness from the book The Secret Doctrine vol.3 by the famous theosophist H.P.Blavatsky (format added):

Consciousness

The consciousness which is merely the animal consciousness is made up of the consciousness of all the cells in the body except those of the heart.

• The heart is the king, the most important organ in the body of man. Even if the head be severed from the body, the heart will continue to beat for thirty minutes. It will beat for some hours if wrapped in cotton wool and put in a warm place.

• The spot in the heart which is the last of all to die is the seat of life, the centre of all, BrahmA, the first spot that lives in the foetus and the last that dies.

• When a Yogi is buried in a trance it is this spot that lives, though the rest of the body be dead, and as long as this is alive the Yogî can be resurrected.

• This spot contains potentially mind, life, energy, and will. During life it radiates prismatic colours, fiery and opalescent. The heart is the centre of spiritual consciousness, as the brain is the centre of intellectual.

• But this consciousness cannot be guided by a person, nor its energy directed by him until he is at one with Buddhi-Manas; until then it guides him-—if it can. Hence the pangs of remorse, the prickings of conscience, they come from the heart, not the head. In the heart is the only manifested God, the other two are invisible, and it is this which represents the Triad. Atma-Buddhi-Manas.

• The psycho-intellectual man is all in the head with its seven gateways; the spiritual man is in the heart. The convolutions are formed by thought. The third ventricle in life is filled with light, and not with a liquid as after death.

• There are seven cavities in the brain which are quite empty during life, and it is in these that visions must be reflected if they are to remain in the memory. These centres are, in Occultism, called the seven harmonies, the scale of the divine harmonies.

• They are filled with AkAsha, each with its own colour, according to the state of consciousness in which you are. The sixth is the pineal gland, which is hollow and empty during life; the seventh is the whole; the fifth is the third ventricle; the fourth the pituitary body. When Manas is united (Page 584) to Atma-Buddhi, or when Atma-Buddhi is centred in Manas, it acts in the three higher cavities, radiating, sending forth a halo of light, and this is visible in the case of a very holy person.

• The cerebellum is the centre, the storehouse of all the forces; it is the KAma of the head. The pineal gland corresponds to the uterus; its peduncles to the Fallopian tubes. The pituitary body is only its servant, its torch-bearer, like the servants bearing lights that used to run before the carriage of a princess. Man is thus androgyne so far as his head is concerned.

• Man contains in himself every element that is found in the Universe. There is nothing in the Macrocosm that is not in the Microcosm. The pineal gland, as was said, is quite empty during life; the pituitary contains various essences. The granules in the pineal gland are precipitated after death within the cavity.

• The cerebellum furnishes the materials for ideation; the frontal lobes of the cerebrum are the finishers and polishers of the materials, but they cannot create of themselves.

• Clairvoyant perception is the consciousness of touch: thus reading letters, psychometrizing substances, etc., may be done at the pit of the stomach. Every sense has its consciousness, and you can have consciousness through every sense.

• There may be consciousness on the plane of sight, though the brain be paralyzed; the eyes of a paralyzed person will show terror. So with the sense of hearing. Those who are physically blind, deaf or dumb, are still possessed of the psychic counterparts of these senses.

• The sympathetic cords and Ida and Pingala start from a sacred spot above the medulla oblongata, called Triveni. This is one of the sacred centres, another of which is Brahmarandra, which is, if you like, the grey matter of the brain. It is also the anterior fontanelle in the new-born child.

• The spinal column is called Brahmadanda, the stick of BrahmA. This is again symbolized by the bamboo rod carried by Ascetics. The Yogis on the other sides of the Himâlayas, who assemble regularly at Lake Mânsarovara, carry a triple knotted bamboo stick, and are called Tridandins. This has the same signification as the Brahmanical cord, which has many meanings besides the three vital airs; e.g., it symbolizes the three initiations of a BrAhman, taking place: (a) at birth, when he receives his mystery name from the family Astrologer, who is supposed to have received it from the Devas (he is also thus said to be initiated by the Devas); a Hindu will sooner die than reveal this name; (b) at seven, when he receives the cord; and (c) at eleven or twelve, when he is initiated into his caste.

• The physio-psychic connection (according to Theosophy):
The Corresponds to the
Spleen ..... Linga Sharira
Liver ..... KAma
Heart ..... PrAna
Corpora-quadrigemina ..... KAma-Manas
Pictuitary body ..... Manas-Antahkarana
Pineal gland ..... Manas

Hello Saidevo: My comments/remarks in bold letters below:

I was under the impression that you have dismissed subjective pronouns and references as nothing more than neurological ramifications; if this is so, you cannot yet desist from using 'In my mind', 'I contend', 'I "attempt"', 'my sensory neuronal pathway' and so on (post #63). (I am not talking about the language here, but the consciousness behind these subjective references.)

• I don't mind it, but can you explain scientifically the difference between 'I' and 'my'? If my brain is the same as the 'I' in me, why call it 'my brain' and who calls it so?

"I" "We" "My" are all nothing but linguistic expression of "our" feelings or thoughts, all originating from the individual who "thinks" and "writes".
• This is where, we confuse the cause and effect. Although every effect can be a cause to another effect in a chain-reactional series of events, there is always a singular cause at the top of the hierarchy, which is external to all other subsidiary causes.

I totally disagree about "there is always a singular cause at the top of the hierarchy, which is external to all other subsidiary causes".

• To give an analogy, a computer software is frozen as bits in its chitta--the hard disk. When it is launched, it gains an 'individual consciousness--ahaMkAra' (so to say), plays out its 'thoughts' in the field of computer memory--manas, guards against harmful interruptions--buddhi, and causes a series of magneto-electrical and some audio-visual effects, that are heard in the microphone and seen on the computer screen--indriya.

The point is, it is always an external cause that launches the software--and I am not referring to the power switch, but to a human being who wants the software launched.

• The human brain is just a biological computer system. When you think, it is not your brain that thinks: you think and your brain executes your thought. The question is to find out the 'you'. Just as a conscious man is behind a computer, there is a universal consciousness behind man.

To some extent the comparison is correct, but not entirely... there is NO external cause. All started internally by the WILL of the individual.
You said in post #63:

• This is ridiculous. When something is 'busted' in a person and he/she becomes handicapped, it is only the body that loses its 'robustness', not the mind (except in the case of insanity). So, the total individual consciousness aka soul is not affected.

Please remember, I am talking about "mentally handicapped" individual. Not physically handicapped...

• This reminds me of something I read in Arthur Hailey's novel 'Final Diagnosis': A man gets his leg amputated in a surgery. For sometime thereafter, his brain refuses to accept the absence of a leg, so he says that he still feels an itch in his amputated leg and asks his friend to 'scratch it for me'.

• The brain itself is unconscious in deep sleep and still we feel having slept well when we are awake.

Who controls the voluntary action of the brain? The individual controls all voluntary actions..again, there is a whole world of "involuntary electrical impulses" constantly racing in the neuro-circuitry.. some of which is "felt" as dreams in day or night.

• This again is a vague statement: who is that individual who controls all voluntary actions of his brain?

Individual is the BOSS here over his neural circuitry... but "non-voluntary" electrical impulses also do happen as in dreams.

• I have found even a partially digested stomach after a heavy dinner to cause dreams. Such is the case of sleeping under a heavy log in the ceiling. Do neuro scientists say that all our memory from day one of our birth are stored in the brain (to cause the dreams)? If so where and how are they stored?

• You have also said in post #57 that 'the soul' is a collective property. Earlier, smt.ReNukA explained how we can be simultaneously conscious of an image in the forground and an image generated by a thought. If the total consciousness of an individual is a collective, bonded property, why is it not uniform and singular as in the case of water?

The WATER analogy holds upto the point of water molecules being connected by hydrogen bonding...after that it deviates: Consciousness WILL not be uniform.
In other words, how do you explain the different states of awareness a person has at the same time in the waking state? How does it explain the fact that I can also 'think' about what happens around in my dream?

That's the complexity and billion other questions that Neuroscientists are trying to figure out... you may have to wait and watch.

• I understand that 'synapse' is the minute space between two nerve cells through which they communicate. So, there is a space field--AkAsha, working as the background of the brain and its nervous system, just as in the case of every other phenomenon.

• This space is not empty, but filled with energy. How do you know for certain that this energy is not infused with a universal consciousness, which I say is what works as the total individual consciousness aka an individual soul (limited by a body), which in turn, is the primary cause behind the brain.

Universal consciousness is a FANTASY

• In other words, what we call our mind is not located in the brain, but outside it in trans-physical space (actually in the mental body--manomaya-=kosha).

Nicely put, the first para. Like Nature, the brain does not work in random, but in tandem with a total individual consciousness, which rules the brain even as a universal consciousness rules the Nature.

My opposition to the GOD theory relates to "the Vedic, Puronic and Abrahamic Religions and their Gods.. and the prayers, poojas that envelope them... instead, if you discard all of it, and say God is Nature...or Nature is God, then we have a common understanding...

There is no Universal Consciousness that rules Nature... Nature is simply the force that directs the biological evolution over several million years. We are all product of the biological evolution... and human brain is the most sophisticated tissue the world has witnessed. That's all...

Peace.

ps.

Synapse has synaptic space filled with the neurotransmitter like glutamate, seratonin, Calcium etc etc.. this is the connection point between the neurons.. we don't call these substances as "energy"! The strength of these synapses between the neurons determines the "quality" of the signal, and how far the signal moves along in the neural circuitry..

To give a morphological picture: Each neuron has a cell body (with its nucleus and cytoplasm) and many processes - some are called dendrites, and one long process is called axon. The inter neuronal connections are made between the processes of one neuron to the processes of the adjoining neuron, connected like a long thread of beads... this "thread of beads" I call neuro-circuitry... beads are the individual neurons... since each neuron has multiple processes, it can be a part of multiple neuro-circuitry, tremendously enhancing the complexity.... I hope this helps to visualize properly... cheers.

Last edited:
Hello:

My view/remarks/comments given in bold letters below:

Here is an extract about the physical and metaphysical realities of consciousness from the book The Secret Doctrine vol.3 by the famous theosophist H.P.Blavatsky (format added):

Consciousness

The consciousness which is merely the animal consciousness is made up of the consciousness of all the cells in the body except those of the heart.

• The heart is the king, the most important organ in the body of man. Even if the head be severed from the body, the heart will continue to beat for thirty minutes. It will beat for some hours if wrapped in cotton wool and put in a warm place.
Disagree... Brain is the most important organ in the body.

• The spot in the heart which is the last of all to die is the seat of life, the centre of all, BrahmA, the first spot that lives in the foetus and the last that dies.

Seat of life is the Nucleus and Cytoplasm in each cell.

• When a Yogi is buried in a trance it is this spot that lives, though the rest of the body be dead, and as long as this is alive the Yogî can be resurrected.

• This spot contains potentially mind, life, energy, and will. During life it radiates prismatic colours, fiery and opalescent. The heart is the centre of spiritual consciousness, as the brain is the centre of intellectual.

Most of the above can be classified as FICTION and/or FANTASY

• But this consciousness cannot be guided by a person, nor its energy directed by him until he is at one with Buddhi-Manas; until then it guides him-—if it can. Hence the pangs of remorse, the prickings of conscience, they come from the heart, not the head. In the heart is the only manifested God, the other two are invisible, and it is this which represents the Triad. Atma-Buddhi-Manas.

• The psycho-intellectual man is all in the head with its seven gateways; the spiritual man is in the heart. The convolutions are formed by thought. The third ventricle in life is filled with light, and not with a liquid as after death.

• There are seven cavities in the brain which are quite empty during life, and it is in these that visions must be reflected if they are to remain in the memory. These centres are, in Occultism, called the seven harmonies, the scale of the divine harmonies.

Fiction and/or Fantasy!

• They are filled with AkAsha, each with its own colour, according to the state of consciousness in which you are. The sixth is the pineal gland, which is hollow and empty during life; the seventh is the whole; the fifth is the third ventricle; the fourth the pituitary body. When Manas is united (Page 584) to Atma-Buddhi, or when Atma-Buddhi is centred in Manas, it acts in the three higher cavities, radiating, sending forth a halo of light, and this is visible in the case of a very holy person.

• The cerebellum is the centre, the storehouse of all the forces; it is the KAma of the head. The pineal gland corresponds to the uterus; its peduncles to the Fallopian tubes. The pituitary body is only its servant, its torch-bearer, like the servants bearing lights that used to run before the carriage of a princess. Man is thus androgyne so far as his head is concerned.

Fiction and/or Fantasy!

• Man contains in himself every element that is found in the Universe. There is nothing in the Macrocosm that is not in the Microcosm. The pineal gland, as was said, is quite empty during life; the pituitary contains various essences. The granules in the pineal gland are precipitated after death within the cavity.

• The cerebellum furnishes the materials for ideation; the frontal lobes of the cerebrum are the finishers and polishers of the materials, but they cannot create of themselves.

There is no scientific basis for this Fiction and/or Fantasy!

• Clairvoyant perception is the consciousness of touch: thus reading letters, psychometrizing substances, etc., may be done at the pit of the stomach. Every sense has its consciousness, and you can have consciousness through every sense.

• There may be consciousness on the plane of sight, though the brain be paralyzed; the eyes of a paralyzed person will show terror. So with the sense of hearing. Those who are physically blind, deaf or dumb, are still possessed of the psychic counterparts of these senses.

• The sympathetic cords and Ida and Pingala start from a sacred spot above the medulla oblongata, called Triveni. This is one of the sacred centres, another of which is Brahmarandra, which is, if you like, the grey matter of the brain. It is also the anterior fontanelle in the new-born child.

• The spinal column is called Brahmadanda, the stick of BrahmA. This is again symbolized by the bamboo rod carried by Ascetics. The Yogis on the other sides of the Himâlayas, who assemble regularly at Lake Mânsarovara, carry a triple knotted bamboo stick, and are called Tridandins. This has the same signification as the Brahmanical cord, which has many meanings besides the three vital airs; e.g., it symbolizes the three initiations of a BrAhman, taking place: (a) at birth, when he receives his mystery name from the family Astrologer, who is supposed to have received it from the Devas (he is also thus said to be initiated by the Devas); a Hindu will sooner die than reveal this name; (b) at seven, when he receives the cord; and (c) at eleven or twelve, when he is initiated into his caste.

• The physio-psychic connection (according to Theosophy):
The Corresponds to the
Spleen ..... Linga Sharira
Liver ..... KAma
Heart ..... PrAna
Corpora-quadrigemina ..... KAma-Manas
Pictuitary body ..... Manas-Antahkarana
Pineal gland ..... Manas

Pure Fiction and/or Fantasy!

Enjoy your Fiction and Fantasy!

Give Science a chance to disprove all of this nonsense!

Since you seek to summarily dismiss subjective references like I, my, mine and so on on the one hand, and consciousness, feelings and so on on the other, as nothing more than neurological firewoks, I cannot help pointing out the logical fallacy in the term individual, which you seem to be fond of substituting for personal references.

• Firstly, you (and perhaps neuroscience) are not clear as to whether the individual you harp on, is a 'what' or 'who'. You say:

"The individual controls all voluntary actions" (of the brain), (in post#63),
"all originating from the individual who "thinks" and "writes";
"All started internally by the WILL of the individual"
"Individual is the BOSS here over his neural circuitry..." (all in post#68)

Since you say "the individual who 'thinks'", in what way this who of this individual is different from the what of his brain?

• Incidentally, the term 'individual' is an objective pronounce/reference, perhaps which is why you prefer it. But then, if a person is nothing more than an individual brain, it would be a logical fallacy for the brain to consider itself as 'I am the brain' as well as 'my brain'!

• Suppose an individual sees a photographic image of his/her brain. The individual would exclaim, 'Hey, that's my brain!' Would the brain then exclaim, 'Hey, that's my brain!' or 'Hey, that's me!'?

• Now, if that same individual sees a photograph of him/her, that individual exclaim 'Hey, that's my photograph!' What would the brain exclaim in this case? Perhaps, 'Hey, that's the individual who is I', or 'Hey, that individual has my brain' or perhaps keep silent?

• These are not frivolous examples because, the neurological ramifications of each exclamation above would be distinctly different, wouldn't they be?

• Sometime back I watched a film titled What the bleep do we know?, which explores using computer-animated graphics, the connection between consciousness and quantum physics and if that connection can be spiritual or just neurological.

Here is an extract from the script of the film that probably puts the entire gamut of consciousness, brain, nerve system, quantum mechanics and spirituality in the proper perspective (formatting and emphasis added).

brain does not know the difference!

• Scientific experiments have shown that if we take a person and hook their brains up to certain PET scans or computer technology, and ask them to look at a certain object, and they watch, certain areas of the brain light up.

• And then they've asked them to close their eyes and now imagine that same object. And when they imagine that same object, it produced the same areas of the brain to light up, as if they were actually visually looking at it.

• So it caused scientists to back up and ask this question. So who sees then? Does the brain see? Or do the eyes see?

• And what is reality? Is reality what we're seeing with our brain, or is reality what we're seeing with our eyes?

• And the truth is is that the brain does not know the difference between what it sees in its environment and what it remembers, because the same specific neural nets are then firing.

What is reality?

• We're bombarded by huge amounts of information, and it's coming into our body,
and we're processing it--coming in through our sense organs, and it's percolating up and up...and at each step we're eliminating information. And finally, what is bubbling up
to consciousness is the one that's the most self-serving.

• The brain processes 400 billion bits of information a second, but we're only aware
of 2,000 of those.

• But our awareness of those 2,000 bits of information are just about the environment, our body and about time.

• We're living in a world where all we see is the tip of the iceberg--the classical tip of an immense quantum mechanical iceberg.

• If the brain is processing 400 billion bits of information, and our awareness is only on 2,000--that means reality's happening in the brain all the time. It's receiving that information, and yet we haven't integrated it.

• The eyes are like the lens. But the tape that's really seeing is the back of the brain. It's called the visual cortex. It's right back here. It's like this camera and its tape.

• Did you know that the brain imprints what it has the ability to see? For example, This camera is seeing a lot more around me than what is here, because it is--has no objection and no judgment. The only movie that's playing in the brain is what we have the ability to see.

• The way our brain is wired up, we only see what we believe is possible. We match patterns that already exist within ourselves through conditioning.

• We create reality. We're reality-producing machines. We create the effects of reality all the time. We always perceive something after reflection in the mirror of memory.

The observer is not in the brain!

• in terms of what science can say about our world ... we are always the observer in science; always constrained by what is ultimately coming into the human brain, that allows us to see and perceive the things we do.

• So it is conceivable that all of this really is just a great illusion, that we have no way of really getting outside of to see what is really out there.

• Your brain doesn't know the difference between what's taking place out there, and what's taking place in here.

• We know what an observer does from a point of view of quantum physics, but we don't know who or what the observer actually is.

• Doesn't mean we haven't tried to find an answer. We've looked. We've gone inside of your head. We've gone into every orifice you have, to find something called an observer. And there's nobody home. There's nobody in the brain.

• There's nobody in the cortical regionsof the brain. There's nobody in the subcortical regions or the limbic regions of the brain.

• And yet, we all have this experience of being something called an observer, observing the world out there.

Conditioning and unconditioning

• The brain is made up of tiny nerve cells called 'neurons'. These neurons have tiny
branches that reach out and connect to other neurons to form a neural net. Each place where they connect is incubated into a thought or a memory. Now, the brain builds up all its concepts by the law of associative memory.

• Any information that we process, any information that we take in from the environment is always colored by the experiences that we've had, and an emotional response that we're having to what we're bringing in.

• Who is in the driver's seat when we control our emotions or we respond to our emotions? We know physiologically that nerve cells that fire together, wire together. If you practice something over and over, those nerve cells have a long-term relationship. If you get angry on a daily basis, if you get frustrated on a daily basis, you're rewiring and reintegrating that neural net on a daily basis; and that neural net now has a long-term relationship, with all those other nerve cells called an 'identity'.

• We also know that nerve cells that don't fire together no longer wire together. They lose their long-term relationship because every time we interrupt the thought process that produces a chemical response in the body--every time we interrupt it, those nerve cells that are connected to each other start breaking the long-term relationship.

• When we start interrupting and observing not by stimulus and response and that automatic reaction, but by observing the effects it takes then we are no longer the body-mind conscious emotional person that's responding to its environment as if it is automatic.

What are emotions?

• All emotion is is holographically imprinted chemicals. There's a part of the brain
called the hypothalamus which is like a little mini factory, a place that assembles certain chemicals that matches certain emotions that we experience.

• And those particular chemicals are called 'peptides'. They're small-chain
amino acid sequences. The body's basically a carbon unit that makes about 20 different
amino acids altogether to formulate its physical structure. The body isa protein-producing machine.

• In the hypothalamus, we take small-chain proteins called peptides, and we assemble them into certain neuropeptides or neurohormones that match the emotional states that we experience on a daily basis.

• So there's chemicals for anger, and there's chemicals for sadness, victimization, lust and every emotional state that we experience. And the moment that we experience that
emotional state in our body or in our brain, that hypothalamus will immediately assemble the peptide and then releases it through the pituitary into the bloodstream; (and then) it finds its way to different centers or different parts of the body.

• Now, every single cell in the body has these receptors on the outside. One cell can have thousands of receptors studding its surface, kind of opening up to the outside world. And when a peptide docks on a cell it literally, like a key going into a lock sits on the receptor surface and attaches to it and kind of moves the receptor and kind oflike a doorbell buzzing, sends a signal into the cell.

• A receptor that has a peptide sitting in it, changes the cell in many ways. It sets off a whole cascade ofbiochemical events, some of which wind up with changes
in the actual nucleus of the cell.

Consciousness

• ... each cell has a consciousness, particularly if we define consciousness as the point of view of an observer. In fact, the cell is the smallest unit of consciousness in the body. We bring to ourselves situations that will fulfill the biochemical craving
of the cells of our body by creating situations that meet our chemical needs.

• ... we move out of the area of the brain that has to do with our personality, that has to do with our association to people, our association to places, our association to things and times and events. We don't exist in the associative centers in our brain...that reaffirms our identity and reaffirms our personality.

• Knowing that there's this interconnectedness of the universe that we are all interconnected and that we are connected to the universe at its fundamental level. I think is as good an explanation for spirituality as there is.

• We are here to make something of this life. To acknowledge the quantum self, to acknowledge the place where we really have choice, to acknowledge mind--When that shift of perspective takes place, we say that somebody has been enlightened.

• Quantum mechanics allows for the intangible phenomenon of freedom to be woven into
human nature. Quantum physics, very succinctly speaking, is a physics of possibilities. It opens fundamentally the question of whose possibilities, and who chooses from these possibilities to give us the actual event of experience.

• The only answer that is satisfactory both logically and meaningfully: is the answer that consciousness is the ground of all being. We must pursue knowledge without any interference of our addictions; and if we can do that, we will manifest knowledge in reality; and our bodies will experience it: in new ways, in new chemistry, in new holograms, new elsewheres of thought, beyond our wildest dreams.

saidevo,

The only answer that is satisfactory both logically and meaningfully: is the answer that consciousness is the ground of all being. We must pursue knowledge without any interference of our addictions; and if we can do that, we will manifest knowledge in reality; and our bodies will experience it: in new ways, in new chemistry, in new holograms, new elsewheres of thought, beyond our wildest dreams.

Well said. Thank you for your time and efforts.

Cheers.

Hello Saidevo:

My response/remarks given in bold letters below:

Since you seek to summarily dismiss subjective references like I, my, mine and so on on the one hand, and consciousness, feelings and so on on the other, as nothing more than neurological firewoks, I cannot help pointing out the logical fallacy in the term individual, which you seem to be fond of substituting for personal references.

• Firstly, you (and perhaps neuroscience) are not clear as to whether the individual you harp on, is a 'what' or 'who'. You say:

"The individual controls all voluntary actions" (of the brain), (in post#63),
"all originating from the individual who "thinks" and "writes";
"All started internally by the WILL of the individual"
"Individual is the BOSS here over his neural circuitry..." (all in post#68)

Since you say "the individual who 'thinks'", in what way this who of this individual is different from the what of his brain?

Who of this individual? I mean his SELF or Personality.

What of his brain? Brain is his Personality or part of his personality....

• Incidentally, the term 'individual' is an objective pronounce/reference, perhaps which is why you prefer it. But then, if a person is nothing more than an individual brain, it would be a logical fallacy for the brain to consider itself as 'I am the brain' as well as 'my brain'!

• Suppose an individual sees a photographic image of his/her brain. The individual would exclaim, 'Hey, that's my brain!' Would the brain then exclaim, 'Hey, that's my brain!' or 'Hey, that's me!'?

• Now, if that same individual sees a photograph of him/her, that individual exclaim 'Hey, that's my photograph!' What would the brain exclaim in this case? Perhaps, 'Hey, that's the individual who is I', or 'Hey, that individual has my brain' or perhaps keep silent?

• These are not frivolous examples because, the neurological ramifications of each exclamation above would be distinctly different, wouldn't they be?

I am afraid all this distinction appears frivolous to me!

• Sometime back I watched a film titled What the bleep do we know?, which explores using computer-animated graphics, the connection between consciousness and quantum physics and if that connection can be spiritual or just neurological.

Here is an extract from the script of the film that probably puts the entire gamut of consciousness, brain, nerve system, quantum mechanics and spirituality in the proper perspective (formatting and emphasis added).

brain does not know the difference!

• Scientific experiments have shown that if we take a person and hook their brains up to certain PET scans or computer technology, and ask them to look at a certain object, and they watch, certain areas of the brain light up.

• And then they've asked them to close their eyes and now imagine that same object. And when they imagine that same object, it produced the same areas of the brain to light up, as if they were actually visually looking at it.

• So it caused scientists to back up and ask this question. So who sees then? Does the brain see? Or do the eyes see?

• And what is reality? Is reality what we're seeing with our brain, or is reality what we're seeing with our eyes?

• And the truth is is that the brain does not know the difference between what it sees in its environment and what it remembers, because the same specific neural nets are then firing.

What is reality?

• We're bombarded by huge amounts of information, and it's coming into our body,
and we're processing it--coming in through our sense organs, and it's percolating up and up...and at each step we're eliminating information. And finally, what is bubbling up
to consciousness is the one that's the most self-serving.

• The brain processes 400 billion bits of information a second, but we're only aware
of 2,000 of those.

• But our awareness of those 2,000 bits of information are just about the environment, our body and about time.

• We're living in a world where all we see is the tip of the iceberg--the classical tip of an immense quantum mechanical iceberg.

• If the brain is processing 400 billion bits of information, and our awareness is only on 2,000--that means reality's happening in the brain all the time. It's receiving that information, and yet we haven't integrated it.

• The eyes are like the lens. But the tape that's really seeing is the back of the brain. It's called the visual cortex. It's right back here. It's like this camera and its tape.

• Did you know that the brain imprints what it has the ability to see? For example, This camera is seeing a lot more around me than what is here, because it is--has no objection and no judgment. The only movie that's playing in the brain is what we have the ability to see.

• The way our brain is wired up, we only see what we believe is possible. We match patterns that already exist within ourselves through conditioning.

• We create reality. We're reality-producing machines. We create the effects of reality all the time. We always perceive something after reflection in the mirror of memory.

The observer is not in the brain!

• in terms of what science can say about our world ... we are always the observer in science; always constrained by what is ultimately coming into the human brain, that allows us to see and perceive the things we do.

• So it is conceivable that all of this really is just a great illusion, that we have no way of really getting outside of to see what is really out there.

• Your brain doesn't know the difference between what's taking place out there, and what's taking place in here.

• We know what an observer does from a point of view of quantum physics, but we don't know who or what the observer actually is.

• Doesn't mean we haven't tried to find an answer. We've looked. We've gone inside of your head. We've gone into every orifice you have, to find something called an observer. And there's nobody home. There's nobody in the brain.

• There's nobody in the cortical regionsof the brain. There's nobody in the subcortical regions or the limbic regions of the brain.

• And yet, we all have this experience of being something called an observer, observing the world out there.

Conditioning and unconditioning

• The brain is made up of tiny nerve cells called 'neurons'. These neurons have tiny
branches that reach out and connect to other neurons to form a neural net. Each place where they connect is incubated into a thought or a memory. Now, the brain builds up all its concepts by the law of associative memory.

• Any information that we process, any information that we take in from the environment is always colored by the experiences that we've had, and an emotional response that we're having to what we're bringing in.

• Who is in the driver's seat when we control our emotions or we respond to our emotions? We know physiologically that nerve cells that fire together, wire together. If you practice something over and over, those nerve cells have a long-term relationship. If you get angry on a daily basis, if you get frustrated on a daily basis, you're rewiring and reintegrating that neural net on a daily basis; and that neural net now has a long-term relationship, with all those other nerve cells called an 'identity'.

• We also know that nerve cells that don't fire together no longer wire together. They lose their long-term relationship because every time we interrupt the thought process that produces a chemical response in the body--every time we interrupt it, those nerve cells that are connected to each other start breaking the long-term relationship.

• When we start interrupting and observing not by stimulus and response and that automatic reaction, but by observing the effects it takes then we are no longer the body-mind conscious emotional person that's responding to its environment as if it is automatic.

What are emotions?

• All emotion is is holographically imprinted chemicals. There's a part of the brain
called the hypothalamus which is like a little mini factory, a place that assembles certain chemicals that matches certain emotions that we experience.

• And those particular chemicals are called 'peptides'. They're small-chain
amino acid sequences. The body's basically a carbon unit that makes about 20 different
amino acids altogether to formulate its physical structure. The body isa protein-producing machine.

• In the hypothalamus, we take small-chain proteins called peptides, and we assemble them into certain neuropeptides or neurohormones that match the emotional states that we experience on a daily basis.

• So there's chemicals for anger, and there's chemicals for sadness, victimization, lust and every emotional state that we experience. And the moment that we experience that
emotional state in our body or in our brain, that hypothalamus will immediately assemble the peptide and then releases it through the pituitary into the bloodstream; (and then) it finds its way to different centers or different parts of the body.

• Now, every single cell in the body has these receptors on the outside. One cell can have thousands of receptors studding its surface, kind of opening up to the outside world. And when a peptide docks on a cell it literally, like a key going into a lock sits on the receptor surface and attaches to it and kind of moves the receptor and kind oflike a doorbell buzzing, sends a signal into the cell.

• A receptor that has a peptide sitting in it, changes the cell in many ways. It sets off a whole cascade ofbiochemical events, some of which wind up with changes
in the actual nucleus of the cell.

Most of all this is from the knowledge of Neuroscience...

Consciousness

• ... each cell has a consciousness, particularly if we define consciousness as the point of view of an observer. In fact, the cell is the smallest unit of consciousness in the body. We bring to ourselves situations that will fulfill the biochemical craving
of the cells of our body by creating situations that meet our chemical needs.

I disagree... each cell has NO consciousness... as I said before it is from the neural circuitry.

• ... we move out of the area of the brain that has to do with our personality, that has to do with our association to people, our association to places, our association to things and times and events. We don't exist in the associative centers in our brain...that reaffirms our identity and reaffirms our personality.

• Knowing that there's this interconnectedness of the universe that we are all interconnected and that we are connected to the universe at its fundamental level. I think is as good an explanation for spirituality as there is.

To me spirituality is to attain the state of "drunkeness" to understand or to approach GOD, which I totally reject.

• We are here to make something of this life. To acknowledge the quantum self, to acknowledge the place where we really have choice, to acknowledge mind--When that shift of perspective takes place, we say that somebody has been enlightened.

• Quantum mechanics allows for the intangible phenomenon of freedom to be woven into
human nature. Quantum physics, very succinctly speaking, is a physics of possibilities. It opens fundamentally the question of whose possibilities, and who chooses from these possibilities to give us the actual event of experience.

• The only answer that is satisfactory both logically and meaningfully: is the answer that consciousness is the ground of all being. We must pursue knowledge without any interference of our addictions; and if we can do that, we will manifest knowledge in reality; and our bodies will experience it: in new ways, in new chemistry, in new holograms, new elsewheres of thought, beyond our wildest dreams.

This is your own mental bombast written with a flair for verbal bombast... what does this really mean? I really don't know!

Saidevo:

How all this supports the Vedic/Puronic or Abrahamic Gods of today, and whose worship and rituals (all of which I abhor) corner nearly trillion dollar business a year in and around temples, mosques and churches?

Peace.

Last edited:
namaste Yamaka.

Well, I have tried my level best to understand what you mean by the individual, although with not much success. But this I understand: you would like to keep the observer different from the observed, even if it is the brain, which IYO plays both the roles.

• As to your notion about Gods and religions, I never brought them in my discussions about my question in post #16. I only talked about Vedanta and spirituality--not religion and rituals.

• In the same way, it was not any "mental bombast" on my part involved in the extract verbatim I have given from the film script. (I have also clearly stated that it is an extract.) If you have a problem with understanding it, it is fine with me. I am sure most people here would understand it.

I would like to move on and discuss some metaphysical aspects of the world behind closed eyes, with those who believe in the metaphysical reality. I hope you wouldn't digress it with your summary and contemptuous dismissals of what you do not like or believe in.

namaste Yamaka.

Well, I have tried my level best to understand what you mean by the individual, although with not much success. But this I understand: you would like to keep the observer different from the observed, even if it is the brain, which IYO plays both the roles.

• As to your notion about Gods and religions, I never brought them in my discussions about my question in post #16. I only talked about Vedanta and spirituality--not religion and rituals.

• In the same way, it was not any "mental bombast" on my part involved in the extract verbatim I have given from the film script. (I have also clearly stated that it is an extract.) If you have a problem with understanding it, it is fine with me. I am sure most people here would understand it.

I would like to move on and discuss some metaphysical aspects of the world behind closed eyes, with those who believe in the metaphysical reality. I hope you wouldn't digress it with your summary and contemptuous dismissals of what you do not like or believe in.

Hello Saidevo:

"In the same way, it was not any "mental bombast" on my part involved in the extract verbatim I have given from the film script. (I have also clearly stated that it is an extract.) If you have a problem with understanding it, it is fine with me. I am sure most people here would understand it."

Fine.. what you have given is from the film script... You know that a "Movie" is the brainchild of the Scriptwriter and that most Scriptwriters are very imaginative people for fancy, fantasy, myth, verbal and mental bombast (some include a few scientific facts).

There are 500-1000 movies released every year in the world.

How following this "Movie" will help YOU to understand Vedanta and Spirituality?

"I would like to move on and discuss some metaphysical aspects of the world behind closed eyes, with those who believe in the metaphysical reality. I hope you wouldn't digress it with your summary and contemptuous dismissals of what you do not like or believe in"

Please go ahead and discuss... when your conclusions contradict known Science, people have the RIGHT to intervene .. ... that's all.

"What are the shapes and images that I see? Of what stuff they are made? Can this thing be explained in a purely physical and convincing way by [COLOR=#DA7911 !important][FONT=inherit !important][COLOR=#DA7911 !important][FONT=inherit !important]Science[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]? If they are spiritual, is the scenary from the astral world?"

My answer to this Qn of your post before:

Nothing Spiritual... it is not the scenary from the astral world.. once you close your eyes, the signals that enter thru the eyes stop... but your brain creates very many images and colors all the time whether you are awake or not... some you are "aware of" and others you don't.

I don't think this can help you to explain Vedanta or Spirituality, IMO.​

Cheers.

Last edited:
.... I only talked about Vedanta and spirituality--not religion and rituals.
Saidevo, when you talk about Vedanta, you are indeed talking about religion. What else is Vedantam but a religion, albeit cloaked in what seems logical arguments, but nothing more than a sand castle built on the fallacious foundation that Vedas are inerrant?

The great acharyas of Vedantic traditions have asserted that through Vedic rituals one trains his mind to be receptive to spirituality. In that sense, and in the context of Vedanta, spirituality is not far removed from rituals.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back