• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Secondhand Stress also can be harmful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naina_Marbus

A research team at Saint Louis University allowed a stranger to observe a man nearby who was defending himself against a false accusation.

After measuring the strangers’ heart rates and cortisol levels, the researchers found that a stranger could catch another person’s stress, even if they had never met.

Stress can be passed on through such things like facial expressions, voice frequency, odor and touch. Over time, chronic stress can increase the risk of heart attack, stroke and depression.

And while a person can catch stress from a stranger, research studies have shown that one is four times more likely to get it from someone one knows - between coworkers, friends and even loved ones.

Researchers attached cardiovascular sensors to the hearts of mothers who were told to give an impromptu speech while the audience evaluators scowled critically. The sensors measured the mothers’ heart rate and other indicators for stress. After the speech the mothers were reunited with their children, playing happily in another room, and the children were hooked up to sensors too. All of the babies of the stressed mothers had an equally elevated heart rate, showing they had caught their mothers’ stress. One child even appeared uncomfortable with the evaluator who had been mean to the mother.

“The baby was able to pick up on that and translate it into social behavior,” said one researcher. The greater the mothers’ stress, the greater the babies’ stress as well.

Just shows how people around you ( even trolls in the forum) could affect you.

[video=youtube;5VXg0EWefBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VXg0EWefBc[/video]

Going by this article I should be dead by now!LOL

Cos my 2nd hand stress level is very high dealing with sick human beings.

Sometimes I wish I did not have to deal with humans all day long...like once I had a sick oldie in my clinic..usually I speak to oldies extra lovingly so that they would relax..oldie had some swelling and when I was examining him I asked him so politely in Tamil 'are you having pain sir?"

To my surprise the oldie was not polite in his reply and he lashed out in Tamil in a rude voice saying "if I didnt have pain do you think I would be here to see you!"

Now I as a doctor when we see any lump or swelling we need to ask if there is pain or not cos most painless lumps and swellings might actually turn out to be cancer and painful lumps are usually some inflammation most of the time.

So you see when get a rude patient like this..it does not feel real nice but rudeness has it price..cos I usually give oldies some discount but since this guy was rude he did not get the discount!LOL

Dear Naina Sir,

I think the effect of secondhand stress is different in different persons! Some persons can keep cool in any environment,

whereas some others get worked up even by viewing a soap on their T V! I have seen one member in my extended family,

talking to the characters in the TV show and crying when some girl is ill treated or molested!! Guess I should check her B P

soon after such a show!! :spy:

Dear Naina Sir,

I think the effect of secondhand stress is different in different persons! Some persons can keep cool in any environment, whereas some others get worked up even by viewing a soap on their T V! I have seen one member in my extended family, talking to the characters in the TV show and crying when some girl is ill treated or molested!! Guess I should check her B P soon after such a show!!
True that some persons can keep cool in any environment, but then do you know why there is this Tamil saying சாது மிரண்டால் காடு கொள்ளாது ? It is the build-up of cortisol levels. Here is an account of what cortisol is all about.

The hormone, cortisol, is released in response to stress. Elevated cortisol levels interfere with learning and memory, lower immune function and bone density, increase weight gain, blood pressure, cholesterol, heart disease... The list goes on and on.
Chronic stress and elevated cortisol levels also increase risk for depression, mental illness, and lower life expectancy. Elevated cortisol levels are a potential trigger for mental illness and decreased resilience.

Cortisol is released in response to fear or stress by the adrenal glands as part of the fight-or-flight mechanism. There are two types of "stress": eustress (good stress) and distress (bad stress). Both eustress and distress release cortisol as part of the general adaption syndrome. Once the alarm to release cortisol is triggered, your body becomes mobilized and ready for action—but there has to be a physical release of fight or flight. Otherwise, cortisol levels build up in the blood which wreaks havoc on your mind and body.

Normally, cortisol levels rise during the early morning hours and are highest about 7 a.m. That is the time you get ready to go to work, the start of the eustress. Eustress creates a "seize-the-day" heightened state of arousal, which is invigorating and often linked with a tangible goal. Cortisol returns to normal upon completion of the task.

Distress, or free floating anxiety, doesn't provide an outlet for the cortisol and causes the fight-or-flight mechanism to backfire. Our physiology which was designed to insure our survival as hunters and gatherers—is sabotaging our bodies and minds in a sedentary digital age.

Say you are a tenant in a multi-apartment complex. In one of the apartments, a husband and wife are constantly shouting and arguing so loudly that the entire street can hear their domestic fight. But this kind of environment can be
stressful to the tenants in all the neighbouring flats. If it was any other country, the couple can be arrested for disturbing the peace. In India?

Psychologytoday

Last edited:
Dear Naina Sir,

I think the effect of secondhand stress is different in different persons! Some persons can keep cool in any environment,

whereas some others get worked up even by viewing a soap on their T V! I have seen one member in my extended family,

talking to the characters in the TV show and crying when some girl is ill treated or molested!! Guess I should check her B P

soon after such a show!! :spy:
so called cool behaviour is interesting .

I try to see humour in stress situation to reduce the effect of stress . Many

might might consider it to be action of a kilpakkam case when it happens to be inappropriate in some situations

I know many housewives who identify with actors in soaps and shed tears for heroines and express loudly negative emotion when they see actions of the villain.

these days I vanish from the scene of stress since sometimes I get disturbed I am unable to do much about what is happening . In younger days I would have confronted and fought it out taking a stand on what I consider right .

I agree with OP...We are always torn between emotions..How I wish that I be an inanimate objectr with no emotions

The emotions start from the time we get up from bed...

There is some disturbance in the routine &we get disturbed..

Could be a retort by your wife or children or the servant or the subordinate..

It can occur 2-3 times in a day..

Some mild that you cal let go, some having a powerful impact that it takes a huge effort to erase it from memory

I think all of us have to keep our minds open..Let us bring humor in our lives

May be by reading jokes, even watching cartoons..

Let us laugh to reduce stress and in turn reduce cortisols..We inhale more Oxygen with laughter which increases our energy

By decreasing stress laughter improves our body immunity

Last edited:
We can join a laughter club...We have this in one of our neighboring societies

521f2f29ae1e0laughing_clubs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back