• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Save Our Culture

sridharb

Namaskaram, I am not against any caste or religion..We as Tamil Brahmin must understand one thing very clear that even though Western culture is taking over the nation, the Veda's, Mantras, our culture, tradition must not be forgotten, please educate your children's that we must respect and follow the rules which our ancestors taught us to follow. Now a days this is getting vanished year by year..Parents of those who are giving so much freedom to Girl child in younger stage and without any boundaries they are getting out of control. I sometimes feel very sad that once they are well educated and get good salary the ego gets too much and the demands are very high during a search for marriage proposal or mostly the girl gets married to different religion and gets converted which is high now a days, its very sad to see this for me, you can see many young brahmin boys are loosing age to find a bride now a days. Mostly the girls side they want boy to be settled abroad or should be staying alone and must have own house etc... I understand, but please understand, in our culture we are appreciated that we stay with our parents. We need to bring the community together and stick to each others help which I will be always there. Please Respect your parents and you can love within our community as well.. not sure whats the problm ? thanks!!

dear sir,

whichever community one comes from, I don't think the problem is caused becos a girl child is given too much freedom and become demanding.

This mindset of blaming females for everything does not work anymore.

Thank God no one blamed a female for Covid-19.

BTW culture is not something that needs to be "saved".
Culture is what "saves" a human.

A culture that saves is a culture that evolves and gets orientated to time,place and person while retaining core values.

Some people are perpetually stuck in time.
The want to be in the past yet enjoy the material comforts of the present and hallucinate for the future.

If one wants a female to "behave", then men too should "behave"

It's always females that are blamed.
Aren't males too having desires that are a way to impractical at times?
Most males seem to be "pampered" that they expect the modern day women to handle a home like a traditional women yet shoulder all responsibility of the modern world.

It would be too stressful. A woman cant be living in the past and present at the same time.
That isnt culture.
Culture is adapting to live in the present.

Hindu philosophy is all about being Mindfully in the Present and not wanting us to be stuck in the vortex of the past.

By living in the past, all one does is a lament in the present.

You wrote this post on May 18th, during the lockdown.

Just imagine, what is the most important culture now?

1)Adherence to healthy lifestyle
2)Adherence to social distancing and sanitation
3)Adherence to principles of charity for humans and animals
4)Adherence to a greener environment and planting more plants/vegetables.
5)Adherence to non divisive politics that would unite the nation in time of need and not play the blame game.
6)Adherence to respect of human lives/values and to address issues that need attention in a nation.
and etc

Culture isnt just about Suprabhatam or Kolam or Idli dosa or a female being egoistic etc.

Culture is being Mindful in the Present.

Namaskaram, I am not against any caste or religion..We as Tamil Brahmin must understand one thing very clear that even though Western culture is taking over the nation, the Veda's, Mantras, our culture, tradition must not be forgotten, please educate your children's that we must respect and follow the rules which our ancestors taught us to follow. Now a days this is getting vanished year by year..Parents of those who are giving so much freedom to Girl child in younger stage and without any boundaries they are getting out of control. I sometimes feel very sad that once they are well educated and get good salary the ego gets too much and the demands are very high during a search for marriage proposal or mostly the girl gets married to different religion and gets converted which is high now a days, its very sad to see this for me, you can see many young brahmin boys are loosing age to find a bride now a days. Mostly the girls side they want boy to be settled abroad or should be staying alone and must have own house etc... I understand, but please understand, in our culture we are appreciated that we stay with our parents. We need to bring the community together and stick to each others help which I will be always there. Please Respect your parents and you can love within our community as well.. not sure whats the problm ? thanks!!
Sir,
Don't know what exactly prompted you to make this post. But please try to understand that nothing is permanent in this universe. Change is a universal phenomenon and bound to affect anything and everything. The so called Brahmanical culture is also no different and could not escape either. Present day needs are different. Simply doing certain set of prayers or following certain rituals alone could not help you win bread. You need to learn to swim with the tide. That's what our children are doing exactly! Again I can vouch our children are most caring and take good care of their parents. A few exceptions are every where. Lets have some kind of community arrangements for those few unfortunate souls by coming together to make later half of their life as comfortable as possible. And that is some kind of a culture, you would agree, & is need of the hour too.

dear sir,

BTW culture is not something that needs to be "saved".
Culture is what "saves" a human.

A culture that saves is a culture that evolves and gets orientated to time,place and person while retaining core values.
Culture is being Mindful in the Present.

Wonderful post.

Yep. I do agree that we have to preserve our culture. Although it might be very difficult because of how modern we are all now. Well, you can't also really blame if the girl also wants a life for her own. Women are now active in finding their own strength. not having to rely on others.

Girls have got nothing to do with our culture being forgotten. The problem is most of our "senior" have a very strict and rigid mindset where they want to have control!

As a community, we have failed to evolve with times. Our mindset is still 100 years (or maybe even more) old. Times are changing and along with it, the attitude and acceptance should also change.

We cannot close our eyes and say the world has become dark! It is our ignorance and arrogance.

I still remember, I was slapped by one of my uncles when I asked him a basic question of why do we wear poonal? Rather than explaining the logic and reason behind it, I was told not to ask such stupid and anti-brahmin questions!

Children these days are curious. Rather than feeding and encouraging their curiosity with proper answers, we are simply hiding behind traditions and then blaming them for not adhering to our culture.

When they have no clue about our culture, how they can follow it!

Girls have got nothing to do with our culture being forgotten. The problem is most of our "senior" have a very strict and rigid mindset where they want to have control!

As a community, we have failed to evolve with times. Our mindset is still 100 years (or maybe even more) old. Times are changing and along with it, the attitude and acceptance should also change.

We cannot close our eyes and say the world has become dark! It is our ignorance and arrogance.

I still remember, I was slapped by one of my uncles when I asked him a basic question of why do we wear poonal? Rather than explaining the logic and reason behind it, I was told not to ask such stupid and anti-brahmin questions!

Children these days are curious. Rather than feeding and encouraging their curiosity with proper answers, we are simply hiding behind traditions and then blaming them for not adhering to our culture.

Wonderful observation.
Unfortunately, some of us young and old live in the past, they just become like a stick in the mud. They have not evolved with time. Society will change with or without you.

In next 100 years ours will become a multi cultural society like US or France.?
so we all lose our identity and become what? Which roots are going to hold you strong."?
Parental regimentation only has helped many in self preservation and self regulation.
What the young are seeking and becoming cannot be lasting and providing peace and inner harmony. All come out of pursuing wrong goals by the society and accentuated by media
imperfect education and aping human behavior. if someone read the book "Into the wild"
by John Krakauer one can understand this, We need to tame the horse if you want to ride it.
Society cannot be what it should be if it is not governed by set of conventions, self imposed regulation and moral fiber. The responsibility lies with Elders.

I wonder if anecdotal evidence can be extrapolated & used for generalization of thought processes of a community and on how old it is and what not!

Sthree dharmam must be followed. For a woman , another woman only is the chathru.
Purusha dharma too needs to be followed and only dictate to themselves cos mostly is the males that have the most issues in life.
I was reading the rules for Brahmacharya aspirants by Swami Sivananda and OMG! its so hard for a male to get his mind of a female!

Hee explains how the students struggle to try to maintain their mind from straying and he explains that when a Brahmacharya struggles he is advised to think of the Divine Mother so that the thoughts of a woman is deleted.

Get what I mean?

Do you see any Guruji telling a woman how she should control her thoughts and not be attracted to men?

In fact Swami Sivananda says "women enchant men but they have self control"

See! Its males with all the problems...females have no struggle.

A female can even love any guy and forget him right away if she marries someone else..but males? Nope!

They would hit the bottle..become a Devadas for a while..then go on a womanizing spree and then curse every female on earth for cheating him..then after a while when his hormones decline he starts to think of God and might became a Sadhu after being a Devadass.

Man! males really screw up themselves.

Learn from us females..we can totally delete anything and be in the present.

That's why all the issues for men..cos men are endrocrinal hurricanes of lack of control hence they try to exert control outside of them and try to "tame" a woman.

Honestly they are better off taming a lion, chances are the lion might eat them up and end their suffering but if one tries taming a woman, its life long suffering not because of the woman but because of the unrest a man gives himself of not able to settle down within himself.

Purusha dharma too needs to be followed and only dictate to themselves cos mostly is the males that have the most issues in life.
I was reading the rules for Brahmacharya aspirants by Swami Sivananda and OMG! its so hard for a male to get his mind of a female!

Hee explains how the students struggle to try to maintain their mind from straying and he explains that when a Brahmacharya struggles he is advised to think of the Divine Mother so that the thoughts of a woman is deleted.

Get what I mean?

Do you see any Guruji telling a woman how she should control her thoughts and not be attracted to men?

In fact Swami Sivananda says "women enchant men but they have self control"

See! Its males with all the problems...females have no struggle.

A female can even love any guy and forget him right away if she marries someone else..but males? Nope!

They would hit the bottle..become a Devadas for a while..then go on a womanizing spree and then curse every female on earth for cheating him..then after a while when his hormones decline he starts to think of God and might became a Sadhu after being a Devadass.

Man! males really screw up themselves.

Learn from us females..we can totally delete anything and be in the present.

That's why all the issues for men..cos men are endrocrinal hurricanes of lack of control hence they try to exert control outside of them and try to "tame" a woman.

Honestly they are better off taming a lion, chances are the lion might eat them up and end their suffering but if one tries taming a woman, its life long suffering not because of the woman but because of the unrest a man gives himself of not able to settle down within himself.
hi doctor,

hi doctor,

its not any personal experience. Its just practical advise.

As humans we call every attachment as love but even mother's love is a deep form of attachment.

Because when we didn't know our children(prior) to birth we didnt feel anything for something we did not know..so can that actually be love? or is it attachment?
It goes to show we actually call attachment as Love becos of lots of bio-memory.
So everything can be subjected to change and also deleting it.

BTW Females are not too much into dying for Lovvu.

When it comes to marriage females are quite practical.

Somehow I knew you would respond to this post.

I tell my son.."Lovvu is a bio memory for continuation of species..it actually does not have to be a Ms right..it has to be how to make things right"

But he is free to marry whomever he wants, I allow anyone including aliens from other planets.

Last edited:
Sthree dharmam must be followed. For a woman , another woman only is the chathru.
Who wrote Shree Dharmam? In what year was it written?
Indian constitution was written by great Intellectuals about 70 years ago, there have been 104 amendments. No document is perfect forever. Change is the only thing, that can save society.

I am not too sure about this. There's a YouTuber named "Black Pigeon Speaks" a.k.a "Felix Rex" who has made a video titled "Why Women Destroy Nations." He speaks from a Western perspective, but it is worth watching as it makes some interesting points.

In my own case, my mother is a doctor and from the beginning she mocked and had mostly contempt for Tamil Brahmin society and culture. Not without good reasons, because her mother (my grandmother) was a widow and in the 50s and 60s in India tamil brahmin widows were treated very poorly. So it is no wonder that my mother grew to have an inherent dislike of our culture.

I am quite grateful to her as this early skepticism rubbed off on me and helped me think with a much more open minded perspective about life, the universe and everything- and be open to other cultures.

But the result is that her Tamil Brahmin bloodline has ended with her. I am least interested in ringing temple bells or walking around bare chasted in traditional dress with no care for aesthetics of the body itself. Nor do I want to eat all the delicious food with my bare fingers and have them smell of spices later.

I am not too sure about this. There's a YouTuber named "Black Pigeon Speaks" a.k.a "Felix Rex" who has made a video titled "Why Women Destroy Nations." He speaks from a Western perspective, but it is worth watching as it makes some interesting points.

In my own case, my mother is a doctor and from the beginning she mocked and had mostly contempt for Tamil Brahmin society and culture. Not without good reasons, because her mother (my grandmother) was a widow and in the 50s and 60s in India tamil brahmin widows were treated very poorly. So it is no wonder that my mother grew to have an inherent dislike of our culture.

I am quite grateful to her as this early skepticism rubbed off on me and helped me think with a much more open minded perspective about life, the universe and everything- and be open to other cultures.

But the result is that her Tamil Brahmin bloodline has ended with her. I am least interested in ringing temple bells or walking around bare chasted in traditional dress with no care for aesthetics of the body itself. Nor do I want to eat all the delicious food with my bare fingers and have them smell of spices later.
Dear Sir,

I am a bit confused now.
Here you are very frank about why you dont favor Tamil Brahmin culture but elsewhere you want a Tamil Brahmin nation.

Surely if there is a Tamil Brahmin nation, majority are going to lead a Tamil
Brahmin lifestyle with regards to temples/diet etc.

So what is it going to be like?

Dear Sir,

I am a bit confused now.
Here you are very frank about why you dont favor Tamil Brahmin culture but elsewhere you want a Tamil Brahmin nation.

Surely if there is a Tamil Brahmin nation, majority are going to lead a Tamil
Brahmin lifestyle with regards to temples/diet etc.

So what is it going to be like?
It's like this madam, how I choose to live my life is my prerogative and this space and individual liberty should be extended to everyone in any advanced nation beyond matters of civic duties and standards. I don't think that I am being disingenuous, however.

My lack of religious fervor or preference to use a knife & fork over my fingers when eating in no way invalidates Tamil culture or the viability of a Tamil Brahmin nation. These things are not mutually exclusive. Besides, I have had to live the way that I have because no sufficiently advanced nor autonomous Tamil Brahmin nation exists yet. It is not inconceivable that were such a nation to manifest, I would make a genuine attempt at harmonious assimilation into it.

The most important thing is genetics. I said right in my first post that the fruit does not fall far from the tree. That's why I even take the time to post on this website. To my mind it is abundantly clear, and so should it be to anyone who has interacted with people of other cultures and races. Some are just better.

There are many fine and sophisticated things in [y]our culture. Take Bharatnatyam for instance, or the playing of the Tabla or what have you. What I object to is the lack of aesthetics in the general population. Grotesque Maamis with belly flab being visible, men with hairy legs and torsos in their veshtis- we need to have some standards and make ourselves look more presentable and attractive. Even the Japanese went thru the Meiji Restoration and here in Thailand in the 40s they banned the masses from wearing traditional dress for daily use. Cultural pride is well and good, but there is a reason you don't see Japanese (or Chinese, Koreans) walking around in a Kimono in public, or a Vietnamese in Ao Dai.

Dear
It's like this madam, how I choose to live my life is my prerogative and this space and individual liberty should be extended to everyone in any advanced nation beyond matters of civic duties and standards. I don't think that I am being disingenuous, however.

My lack of religious fervor or preference to use a knife & fork over my fingers when eating in no way invalidates Tamil culture or the viability of a Tamil Brahmin nation. These things are not mutually exclusive. Besides, I have had to live the way that I have because no sufficiently advanced nor autonomous Tamil Brahmin nation exists yet. It is not inconceivable that were such a nation to manifest, I would make a genuine attempt at harmonious assimilation into it.

The most important thing is genetics. I said right in my first post that the fruit does not fall far from the tree. That's why I even take the time to post on this website. To my mind it is abundantly clear, and so should it be to anyone who has interacted with people of other cultures and races. Some are just better.

There are many fine and sophisticated things in [y]our culture. Take Bharatnatyam for instance, or the playing of the Tabla or what have you. What I object to is the lack of aesthetics in the general population. Grotesque Maamis with belly flab being visible, men with hairy legs and torsos in their veshtis- we need to have some standards and make ourselves look more presentable and attractive. Even the Japanese went thru the Meiji Restoration and here in Thailand in the 40s they banned the masses from wearing traditional dress for daily use. Cultural pride is well and good, but there is a reason you don't see Japanese (or Chinese, Koreans) walking around in a Kimono in public, or a Vietnamese in Ao Dai.
Dear exe,
As a doctor I advise my patients to maintain healthy body weight for general well being and health.
But i would never call an obese person Grotesque.
I do agree one has to look attractive as in looking presentable but at the same time some people do have metabolic disorders which can lead to obesity and vice versa as in obesity leading to metabolic disorders.

Btw many western women in Australia too are obese and they still wear bikinis at the beach.
They dont feel body conscious cos they too want to have fun at the beach like everyone else...so why is it wrong for a mami to have flab in a saree?
Also there are nudist beach in the west and everyone is happy with their bodies...mostly too are obese and western men too are hirsuit...so why cant a mama have hairy legs?

In my country we wear our respective costumes openly.
Malays wear Islamic dresses.
Indian ladies wear salwar kameez and wester clothes and sarees to temples.
Chinese mostly wear shorts when outside of work.

Also my take on how another person looks like is this...never ever feel another looks grotesque.
I have seen cases of people who look fit and good just lose it all when they get ill with diseases.
I have seen intelligent people get dementia and dont even remember their name.

So all we can do is lead a moderate life for all humans be it Brahmin or Non Brahmin.

I am not a Brahmin ..
My daily routine starts at 4am
Pray from 4am to 5am(recitation)
Prayer at dawn.

Exercise at my home gym and yoga at 6am.
And then to work and prayers again at evening and night.

I am vegetarian and eat a balanced diet.
I wear what I like and dont feel its wrong to wear a traditional attire be it salwar kameez or saree( rare now) ..or abhaya or western clothes.

Also I feel we should not judge how others look..we just have to work on our ownselves.

Last edited:

So called Tamil Brahmins as we know today will not exist in 50 to 100 years from now. The number of children born in TB families are very small and cannot sustain the propagation of the TB culture as known today. The decline has already started.

Also fixation of wanting male child and using technologies of Ultrasound, along with all other communities in India, TB community has created over supply of males. So these poor males remain unmarried rather than opening their mind to marry out of community.

India is fascinated with the excesses of western culture. Many TB women prefer other cultures because they have options . In some cases it may be a mistake but they do not know that now.

I am yet to come across many people who are well versed about Tb culture and the insights behind the practice. Everyone is just immersed in superstitions. Your own comments about women underscores this point.

The above are all mega trends and unstoppable. So the idea of saving the TB culture is a myth in the backdrop of the above reasons. It is going extinct.

Then why have a discussion? My reasons are as follows.

The one other reason for this decline is that TB have been made a group to be hated due to ignorance and politics of Tamil Nadu goverrnment.

I do not know any practicing TB (even with all the superstitions) who is a major criminal . Mostly they are docile but this hatred is so deep rooted that they have fled from India & Tamil Nadu to other places. Then they get absorbed in those cultures. This hatred is a reason to fight.

Even here many non-brahmins and others faking as Brahmins right in this forum jump immediately to even have a open discussion about such topics. I do not mean this thread per se but have seen this behaviour in such threads. If they intended well even with other views that is most welcome. I suspect many of their comments arise not out of well wishes.

That is shameful and once this TB identify is extinct there will be another scapegoat to go after. Because hate as a human emotion will find other avenues.

While nothing can be done about the mega trends, I think as human beings we should fight systematic hatred. The best we all can do is to go beyond wearing a TB hat (yes my nick is a-TB LOL)

We all better be identified as just a human being. Then our focus will be only to fight hatred and hypocrisy.

Btw many western women in Australia too are obese and they still wear bikinis at the beach.
They dont feel body conscious cos they too want to have fun at the beach like everyone else...so why is it wrong for a mami to have flab in a saree?
Also there are nudist beach in the west and everyone is happy with their bodies...mostly too are obese and western men too are hirsuit...so why cant a mama have hairy legs?
Are you suggesting that the ugliness of another culture somehow justifies our own? I never understood this line of thought, but it's a common defense mechanism Indian people seem to have in responding to criticisms of India. If I say India has a rape problem, the India apologist will typically respond that some part of the USA has an even worse rape problem, or that gun violence is out of control. If you say that the Indian ambassador underpaid her "servant" then the India apologist will say oh but the whites had them work on plantations for years and income inequality is a thing in the West too blah blah. It's a logical fallacy and should be stopped!

I am yet to come across many people who are well versed about Tb culture and the insights behind the practice. Everyone is just immersed in superstitions. Your own comments about women underscores this point.

The above are all mega trends and unstoppable. So the idea of saving the TB culture is a myth in the backdrop of the above reasons. It is going extinct.

We all better be identified as just a human being. Then our focus will be only to fight hatred and hypocrisy.
I like that.

Are you suggesting that the ugliness of another culture somehow justifies our own? I never understood this line of thought, but it's a common defense mechanism Indian people seem to have in responding to criticisms of India. If I say India has a rape problem, the India apologist will typically respond that some part of the USA has an even worse rape problem, or that gun violence is out of control. If you say that the Indian ambassador underpaid her "servant" then the India apologist will say oh but the whites had them work on plantations for years and income inequality is a thing in the West too blah blah. It's a logical fallacy and should be stopped!
I am not an Indian citizen nor am I am Indian born.
I am Malaysian Indian.
So I am not playing any defense mechanism here to defend India.

But the fact is if you feel a lady in a saree who is fat is grotesque..so is an over weight Australian in a bikini or an over weight Malaysian citizen in shorts or an overweight Eskimo on Ice.

I hope you get the point here.
If one wants to be judgmental we have to be fair and square..otherwise one should learn to just try to understand body types and dietary habits that cause obesity.

That way one can also ask a person who feels others are hirsuit and grotesque ..." Are you a Greek God with 6 packs?"

If yes..well and good.
If No? What next?
Migrate to another planet to spare others from looking at a less attractive face and body?

Dear exe,

Imagining there is a universal sense of aesthetics is not logical. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

In the west people try to hide blemishes and looks but cannot care to dress up inner character. In India they do not hide anything resulting in less insecurity.

Movie stars and models that are artificially slim are appreciated in the west. In India the movie stars can have a temple built for them by fans if they have a fat ass and swing it around. LOL

Best is to not compare cultural norms but just look if any harm comes about to a society by any practice.

Singling out women for ills of a society or generalizing behaviour of one to many tend to be immature and harmful

" Are you a Greek God with 6 packs?"
I am a Powerlifter and have not yet focused on developing washboard abs. Strength comes from mass and yes that implies a belly. I undergo the pain needed to frequently wax most of my body hair though, which I am cursed with due to my genetics.

I am a Powerlifter and have not yet focused on developing washboard abs. Strength comes from mass and yes that implies a belly. I undergo the pain needed to frequently wax most of my body hair though, which I am cursed with due to my genetics.
Great! Keep it up!
May the Force be with you and you get a washboard soon.
Do Yoga too..its good for flexibility.
Powerlifting can stiffen the ligaments over time.
Yoga will keep it supple.

You should check out Nyle DiMarco ,he is hearing impaired and also speech impaired.
He became American next supermodel and he is very hirsuit.

Latest ads

Back