• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sanskrit Inscriptions in Mosque and on Coins

Status
Not open for further replies.
vimacoin3.jpg

(Second part of Sanskrit inscriptions in strange places. Please read the first part as well.)

Sanskrit inscriptions older than Rudradaman (150 AD) are found on coins. A notable gold dinar coin of Vima Khadpises shows Lord Shiva with a Sanskrit inscription. It is written in Kharoshti script along with Greek script. The legend on the coin is: Maharajasa Rajadirajasa Sarvaloka Isvarasa Mahesvarasa Vima Kathphisasa Tratara. It is dated 112 AD. Vima Khadpises had issued coins with Shiva on bull (Rishaba) vahana as well.

In the mosque

Bhoja is a famous name in Sanskrit literature. There were several Bhojas and they were all great Sanskrit scholars. One such Bhoja lived during the times of Kalidasa in first century BC. But now we are looking at a Bhoja who ruled from Dhar in Madhya Pradesh. He built a temple for goddess Saraswathi. It was destroyed during Muslim invasion. The mosque had several parts of destructed temple. Fortunately one structure was left intact and that was the Sanskrit vyakarana (grammar) written as Chitra Kavi. It shows grammar in wheel shaped diagrams or pictures. This Bhoja ruled between 1010 AD and 1060 AD. He was a master of many arts and authored at least thirty books in Sanskrit ranging from astronomy to economics. One of the idols he installed is in British museum in London. But the vyakarana chakra (grammar slokas written in circular diagrams) is in the mosque itself. Now the archaeological survey has arranged for Hindus and Muslims worship on different days.

S E Asia

Most of the South East Asian Sanskrit inscriptions are written in Pallava Grantha script. We may surmise that the South Indian sculptors who travelled from the east coast must have inscribed them. It also shows South Indians were great Sanskrit scholars. South India had produced famous Sanskrit scholars like Adi Shankara,Patanjali,Nilakanta Dikshitar and they in turn wrote a lot of books until last century. In our own times Kanchi Shankaracharya’s Sanskrit composition for world peace was sung by MS Subbalakshmi in the United Nations which reverberated throughout the world.
Sanskrit can’t die as long as India and Hinduism survive. All our personal names and place names and Gods names are in Sanskrit. Even the motto of Government of India is in Sanskrit : Sathyameva Jayate-Truth alone triumphs from the Mundakopanishad. Not only the temple archanas (gods names) but also all the religious literature are in Sanskrit.

The most famous Mantra of the Hindus Gayatri (Rig Veda) has been recited by millions of Hindus for thousands of years without any break. The ancient seers (Rishis) started reciting this from 1500 BC according to Western “scholars”. But Hindus believe them s eternal sounds in the sky like radio waves. If you are at the same wavelength you can catch them like radio frequencies. So no one can call Sanskrit a dead language like Latin. Latin is used by Pope and his circle only. But Sanskrit names are used by millions of laymen. Indians can’t survive without Sanskrit. For instance if someone orders tomorrow that no Sanskrit word should be used for twenty four hours, Indians can’t function for twenty four hours. It is like ordering the entire country to stop using electricity for 24 hours. In short unlike Latin, Sanskrit has mixed with our life which no force in the world can separate for generations to come.

Anyone reading this piece, stop reading and think for a minute- think about your grandparents names, think about your friends’ names and think about your towns names and last but not the least your language. Everywhere you will find Sanskrit. This is true for all the South East Asians as well.
This divine language and its magical spell (mantra) will help India to survive for eons. When all the five big powers have gone India will survive because of it’s motto alone: Satyamebva Jayate !

Enchanting! Particularly enjoyed the tryth about Tamil contributions to Sanskrit.YES! Patanjali Maharshi gave the VyakaraNa MahabhaShyam sitting in Chidambaram!

Highness of sanskrit & hinduism

Excellent my dear friend,

When people like us are there, it enough for the survival of truth about sanskrit. I request you to check one blog which i posted before few days in the topic "HIGHNESS OF SANSKRIT & HINDUISM". I added more information related to this subject.

View attachment 1618

(Second part of Sanskrit inscriptions in strange places. Please read the first part as well.)

Sanskrit inscriptions older than Rudradaman (150 AD) are found on coins. A notable gold dinar coin of Vima Khadpises shows Lord Shiva with a Sanskrit inscription. It is written in Kharoshti script along with Greek script. The legend on the coin is: Maharajasa Rajadirajasa Sarvaloka Isvarasa Mahesvarasa Vima Kathphisasa Tratara. It is dated 112 AD. Vima Khadpises had issued coins with Shiva on bull (Rishaba) vahana as well.

In the mosque

Bhoja is a famous name in Sanskrit literature. There were several Bhojas and they were all great Sanskrit scholars. One such Bhoja lived during the times of Kalidasa in first century BC. But now we are looking at a Bhoja who ruled from Dhar in Madhya Pradesh. He built a temple for goddess Saraswathi. It was destroyed during Muslim invasion. The mosque had several parts of destructed temple. Fortunately one structure was left intact and that was the Sanskrit vyakarana (grammar) written as Chitra Kavi. It shows grammar in wheel shaped diagrams or pictures. This Bhoja ruled between 1010 AD and 1060 AD. He was a master of many arts and authored at least thirty books in Sanskrit ranging from astronomy to economics. One of the idols he installed is in British museum in London. But the vyakarana chakra (grammar slokas written in circular diagrams) is in the mosque itself. Now the archaeological survey has arranged for Hindus and Muslims worship on different days.

S E Asia

Most of the South East Asian Sanskrit inscriptions are written in Pallava Grantha script. We may surmise that the South Indian sculptors who travelled from the east coast must have inscribed them. It also shows South Indians were great Sanskrit scholars. South India had produced famous Sanskrit scholars like Adi Shankara,Patanjali,Nilakanta Dikshitar and they in turn wrote a lot of books until last century. In our own times Kanchi Shankaracharya’s Sanskrit composition for world peace was sung by MS Subbalakshmi in the United Nations which reverberated throughout the world.
Sanskrit can’t die as long as India and Hinduism survive. All our personal names and place names and Gods names are in Sanskrit. Even the motto of Government of India is in Sanskrit : Sathyameva Jayate-Truth alone triumphs from the Mundakopanishad. Not only the temple archanas (gods names) but also all the religious literature are in Sanskrit.

The most famous Mantra of the Hindus Gayatri (Rig Veda) has been recited by millions of Hindus for thousands of years without any break. The ancient seers (Rishis) started reciting this from 1500 BC according to Western “scholars”. But Hindus believe them s eternal sounds in the sky like radio waves. If you are at the same wavelength you can catch them like radio frequencies. So no one can call Sanskrit a dead language like Latin. Latin is used by Pope and his circle only. But Sanskrit names are used by millions of laymen. Indians can’t survive without Sanskrit. For instance if someone orders tomorrow that no Sanskrit word should be used for twenty four hours, Indians can’t function for twenty four hours. It is like ordering the entire country to stop using electricity for 24 hours. In short unlike Latin, Sanskrit has mixed with our life which no force in the world can separate for generations to come.

Anyone reading this piece, stop reading and think for a minute- think about your grandparents names, think about your friends’ names and think about your towns names and last but not the least your language. Everywhere you will find Sanskrit. This is true for all the South East Asians as well.
This divine language and its magical spell (mantra) will help India to survive for eons. When all the five big powers have gone India will survive because of it’s motto alone: Satyamebva Jayate !

Thanks.
I will have a look.
More than writing about Sanskrit we all must read, study and
practise Sanskrit language and Sanskrit Mantras wherever possible.
I am worried about future. Already Vedas are not learnt in the olden ways.
In course of time the learning may dis appear completely and we will simply listen to audio
recordings and You tube.
swami

Thanks. Hope you have read the second part under Sanskrit Inscriptions in strange places and Tamil article சம்ஸ்கிருதம் ஒரு சமுத்திரம் .

In one of the libraries, people have noticed Panchatantra translated into Persian language
and also Patanjali and Upanishads in Arabic language. Yes Sanskrit has its own importance
and is spread all over the world and it is an ocean.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Persian Ramayana.

An article under caption " Emperor Akbar's Persian Ramayana and Khan-e-Khanan's Copy" writer Jalal Uddin has published an interesting piece of information in "The Milli Gazette" (16-30 November 2011 issue). Interested readers can find the same in the following URL:

Emperor Akbar

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I will have a look.
More than writing about Sanskrit we all must read, study and
practise Sanskrit language and Sanskrit Mantras wherever possible.
I am worried about future. Already Vedas are not learnt in the olden ways.
In course of time the learning may dis appear completely and we will simply listen to audio
recordings and You tube.
swami

Speaking Sanskrit is also important.Just start off by simple sentences after a while we would actually start thinking in Sanskrit.

Mam. Self Tutor is available, but one has to be clear about the accent. There was
an opportunity in my days to study Sanskrit in the School as one of the subjects in
place of Tamil. In fact my mother, grand father etc used to read Grantham as they
used to do Pravachan in Bharatham in the Temple premises at frequent intervals. I
did learn a little and because of non-continuity, I do not have fluency.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Thanks for all the comments.

In my article --Sanskrit is an Ocean (in Tamil)-- I have quoted famous historian KA Nilakanta Sastri saying millions of words have been translated in to Chinese. We have lost many original books in Sanskrit, but they are in Chinese in China and Tibet. If we are able to translate them back in to Sanskrit or any Indian language we will get lot of new information.

Like wise we have a lot of Cuneiform clay tablets with lot of Sanskrit words from Mittanni, Hittite, Hurrian, Turkish, Turkic cultures. Germans are more into it. Only when English people do some research we hear about it because we know English. Unless Indians learn Sanskrit we will miss a great deal of our History.

We can rewrite Indian History bringing out all its glory once we revive Sanskrit learning.
Read more surprises in my article SANSKRIT INSCRIPTION ON TORTOISE. Every day I come across new materials throwing fresh light on Indian History. If I had full proficiency in Sanskrit I would have reconstructed Indian History by this time. So much materials are available now thanks to google.

Thanks for all the comments.

In my article --Sanskrit is an Ocean (in Tamil)-- I have quoted famous historian KA Nilakanta Sastri saying millions of words have been translated in to Chinese. We have lost many original books in Sanskrit, but they are in Chinese in China and Tibet. If we are able to translate them back in to Sanskrit or any Indian language we will get lot of new information.

Like wise we have a lot of Cuneiform clay tablets with lot of Sanskrit words from Mittanni, Hittite, Hurrian, Turkish, Turkic cultures. Germans are more into it. Only when English people do some research we hear about it because we know English. Unless Indians learn Sanskrit we will miss a great deal of our History.

We can rewrite Indian History bringing out all its glory once we revive Sanskrit learning.
Read more surprises in my article SANSKRIT INSCRIPTION ON TORTOISE. Every day I come across new materials throwing fresh light on Indian History. If I had full proficiency in Sanskrit I would have reconstructed Indian History by this time. So much materials are available now thanks to google.

Yes. I too read about this and heard about it also. My friends who visit Mukthinath
Temple bring such information, as they are working in Travel Arrangements team.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back