• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sandhyavandhanam - During new birth

sapsrikaanth

Hello all,

1) Please can you help me by advising whether Sandhayavandhanam has to be performed during birth of new baby ?

2) If yes, then do I need to do it in the usual way or is there is any other different procedure needs to be followed ?

3) Whether Brahma yagnam also can be performed during a birth of a new baby ?

4) The "baby" in above questions refers to ones one baby as well as ones own sister's / brother's new baby.

Thanks in-advance

Thank you & kindest regards
Srikaanth

Thanks sir./
One more quick question
from where can I get to know the answers for all these questions
( is it from " Dharma Sastra " ?

Refer to Tamil Brahmins.
Refer to Sanathana Dharma website
Consult Seniors vadhyar of any temple
Do Nakshtra Pariharam dosha Pooja fir new born baby if it is born on adverse date.

Srikaanth,

Sandhyaavandana is a scientific tool / process to awaken the self within you. The secondary purpose is to give arghya to devas and navagrahas. This is for your own prosperity. If you do the Sandhyavandana and Japa, you benefit personally. If you don't do it, then you don't get the benefit. You have got this privilege as a Brahmin and it is for you to use.

Brahma Yagna is done to acknowledge and satisfy the devas [divine souls], rishis [scientists who interpreted and gave us all spiritual and scientific knowledge], acharyas [teachers who explained the shastras] and pitr devatas [devatas in pitr loka where we will go one day]. This is again a personal accomplishment and has not got anything to do with anyone else.

Shastras have provided us the same toolkit for use through our life from the day of upanayanam till death. There is no change in the tool. It has no relationship to any external event.

Please however note that we follow asauchya during birth and death in a family. During asauchya, sandhyavandanam is not performed, but you should say gayatri Mantra and can do dhyana of your istha devata

Srikaanth,

Sandhyaavandana is a scientific tool / process to awaken the self within you. The secondary purpose is to give arghya to devas and navagrahas. This is for your own prosperity. If you do the Sandhyavandana and Japa, you benefit personally. If you don't do it, then you don't get the benefit. You have got this privilege as a Brahmin and it is for you to use.

Brahma Yagna is done to acknowledge and satisfy the devas [divine souls], rishis [scientists who interpreted and gave us all spiritual and scientific knowledge], acharyas [teachers who explained the shastras] and pitr devatas [devatas in pitr loka where we will go one day]. This is again a personal accomplishment and has not got anything to do with anyone else.

Shastras have provided us the same toolkit for use through our life from the day of upanayanam till death. There is no change in the tool. It has no relationship to any external event.

Please however note that we follow asauchya during birth and death in a family. During asauchya, sandhyavandanam is not performed, but you should say gayatri Mantra and can do dhyana of your istha devata
I understand from our Vadhiyar(family priest) and in general discussions that Sandhyavandhanam is a mater of Nithya Karma and hence should be done daily irrespective of birth / death , etc..

I understand from our Vadhiyar(family priest) and in general discussions that Sandhyavandhanam is a mater of Nithya Karma and hence should be done daily irrespective of birth / death , etc..
Respected Vaidya, your Vadhyaar is right that it is a nitya karma and should be performed daily.

All the Sandhya rituals are very powerful Vedic mantras. They are either from Rig Veda / Yajur Veda. Some of them, including Gayatri Mantra appear in all 4 vedas. It is a common practice that these mantras are not recited during asauchya [11 days following death / birth].

I know that preta avahana becomes almost impossible when any Veda Mantra is recited. This is a reason why the katrus are asked to stay from all others during the period immediately after death by people who are doing obsequies or those close to them. I am not sure why the tradition says the same norms should follow the birth.

Grihya Sutras prescribe that only Gayatri Mantra and Ishta Devata dhyana can be done. They don't suggest Sandhyavandana or 16 step Shodashopachara puja during this period

You can perform both Sandyavandanam and Brahmayagyam as usual. No different procedure.

R.Ramaswami

Sir, thanks for reply.
I read in the google that the procedure to do SANDYAVANDANAM will differ during a day of death.
It goes on to say that , the " ARRKYAM " should not be given during that day & following 16 days.
Each one of us say or have different thoughts or school of thoughts, hence I seek the replies with references from vedic scripts .
Is there is any book available in stores that will clarify my doubt ?

Thank you & kindest regards, Srikaanth

The meaning of "Arghyam" [NOT ARRKYAM] in Sanskrit is "ceremonial reception". It is a process where you pay respects to the deva and devathas. To invoke and respect any deity is extremely personal and it is between you [i.e. your Jeevatma] and the GOD [Paramatma]. Even if you are doing the obsequies yourself, there is no reason to stop your marjana, arghya, tarpana, japa and dhyana.

Most of the Sandhya mantras and also Brahma Yagna mantras come from the Veda. The Veda mantras are powerful. You also say the Bhoota Uchachatana mantra during the Japa process. These mantras will keep the preta away when you do rigorous practice. The ceremonies that you do from 5th day will not fructify.

For this reason, during the 16 days, there is a tradition not to do the entire Sandhya, but to limit yourself to Japa, arghya and tarpana without saying the veda mantras.

குழந்தை பிறந்த பிறகு 10 நாள் வ்ருத்தி தீட்டு யார் யாருக்கெல்லாம் உள்ளதோ அவர்கள் எல்லொரும் 3 வேளையும் ஸந்தியா வந்தனம் வழக்கம் போல் செய்ய வேண்டும்.
காயத்ரி ஜபம் மட்டும் 3 வேளையும் பத்து பத்து பத்து எண்ணிக்கை செய்ய வேண்டும்.

ப்ருஹ்ம யக்யம் செய்ய க்கூடாது இந்த தீட்டு நாட்களில் , பஞ்சாயத்ன பூஜை செய்ய க்கூடாது. வேதம் சொல்லக்கூடாது. தானம் வாங்குவதோ கொடுப்பதோ கூடாது,
பிறருக்கு நமஸ்காரம் செய்ய க்கூடாது. பிறரும் தீட்டு உள்ளவர்களுக்கு நமஸ்காரம்

செய்யக்கூடாது.தீட்டு இல்லாதவர்கள் தீட்டு உள்ளவர்கள் வீட்டில் எதுவும் சாப்பிடக்கூடாது.பதினோராம் நாள் புது பூணல் போட்டு கொள்ளவேண்டும். ஸ்த்ரீகள் திருமாங்கல்ய சரடு மாற்றிக்கொள்ள வேண்டும். தீட்டு உள்ள போது உபயோகித்த வேஷ்டி, புடவை, தலகாணி போர்வை இவைகளை நீரில் நணைத்து உலர்த்த வேண்டும்

. பீரோ வில் உள்ள துணிகளை தொடக்கூடாது. தீட்டு இல்லாதவர்கள் மூலம் பீரோவில் உள்ள துணிகளை எடுத்து கொள்ள வேண்டும். மெத்தையில் படுத்தால் மெத்தையும் நனைக்க வேண்டும்.

குழந்தை பிறந்த பிறகு 10 நாள் வ்ருத்தி தீட்டு யார் யாருக்கெல்லாம் உள்ளதோ அவர்கள் எல்லொரும் 3 வேளையும் ஸந்தியா வந்தனம் வழக்கம் போல் செய்ய வேண்டும்.
காயத்ரி ஜபம் மட்டும் 3 வேளையும் பத்து பத்து பத்து எண்ணிக்கை செய்ய வேண்டும்.

ப்ருஹ்ம யக்யம் செய்ய க்கூடாது இந்த தீட்டு நாட்களில் , பஞ்சாயத்ன பூஜை செய்ய க்கூடாது. வேதம் சொல்லக்கூடாது. தானம் வாங்குவதோ கொடுப்பதோ கூடாது,
பிறருக்கு நமஸ்காரம் செய்ய க்கூடாது. பிறரும் தீட்டு உள்ளவர்களுக்கு நமஸ்காரம்

செய்யக்கூடாது.தீட்டு இல்லாதவர்கள் தீட்டு உள்ளவர்கள் வீட்டில் எதுவும் சாப்பிடக்கூடாது.பதினோராம் நாள் புது பூணல் போட்டு கொள்ளவேண்டும். ஸ்த்ரீகள் திருமாங்கல்ய சரடு மாற்றிக்கொள்ள வேண்டும். தீட்டு உள்ள போது உபயோகித்த வேஷ்டி, புடவை, தலகாணி போர்வை இவைகளை நீரில் நணைத்து உலர்த்த வேண்டும்

. பீரோ வில் உள்ள துணிகளை தொடக்கூடாது. தீட்டு இல்லாதவர்கள் மூலம் பீரோவில் உள்ள துணிகளை எடுத்து கொள்ள வேண்டும். மெத்தையில் படுத்தால் மெத்தையும் நனைக்க வேண்டும்.

Sir, Thanks for the detailed explanation .
Please can you mention the procedure to be followed if there is a death in the family ?

Thank you & kindest regards
Srikaanth

also go through this.

Latest ads

Back