• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

salutations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why, what's wrong with the 'jI'? Although we just use 'ji" instead of 'jI', the samskRta pada 'jI' means "sir, Mr., mister", attached to names as a mark of respect (Monier-Williams dictioinary).

The more variety we have, the better we understand our Hindu culture. We are Tamil brahmins minus the politics of the Dravidian parties. And for the Hindus, specially Brahmins, Sanskrit is the father-tongue--the language of the forefathers, and all the Indian languages derived from it are brother-tongue, if I may say so.

So, IMHO, we can use any/many address form(s) as we desire, so long as they are forms of respect.

This is response to the first posting of Dr Sundaram
absolutele correct..I also felt the same way...any sanskritised one like shri,brahmashree etc would be more appropriate

Last edited:
I think 'ji' has something to do with Persian or it is the practice followed by Hindi-speaking people alone.

If one wants Sanskrit to be accorded greater importance, 'Sri', 'Kum', and 'Smt' are alright.

I personally fee that adding "ji" to solute our esteemed members is not at all wrong.

Though we all are Brahmins, working jointly to the betterment and unity of our society in particular, we are all Hindus in general. We have patriotic feelings as well

"ji" is generally used by North Indian folks to add honor to the person one is conversing with.

I can understand that we Brahmins are not against Hindi. We know that all our Tamil Brahmins are smart enough to accommodate themselves everywhere. In fact we should insist over fellow people to learn spoken Hindi [who all don't know) that can help them to interact better especially in this fast moving challenging world where every one is migrating out of Tamil Nadu for better prospects.

Every parent feels proud and satisfied when they find their children having good command of Hindi to manage themselves.

So let us encourage our people to get conversant with Hindi.

In such a case let us as Brahmins, as Indians and as a broad minded smart people have no hesitations in using Hindi words/terms casually in this site to prove ourselves that we are not MEGALOMANIAC.

OFFCOURSE WE NEED TO BE A RELIGIOUS FANATIC.

Cheers...

RAVI

Let us not go for so much hair splitting.As far as it connotes a kind of respect , let us accept.I think generally we can accept Sri,Smt,Sir, Ji or similar prefix or suffix , indicates the respect the writer wants to give to the addresse.Let it be so. We may not take it as offensive. This is my humble opinion.

Greetings.

A 'megalomaniac' is a person who suffers from the delusion of grandeur. In other words, he over-estimates his self and thinks too much of himself.

It is a kind of psychological/behavioural disorder and always has a negative connotation.

In my opinion, this thread's import is cultural and ethnic myopia. How one addresses the other is a personal matter. If one does not want to be addressed such (which are honorofic to start with), just say so. You won't be addressed that way.

Instead, why are we telling others what term to use and what not to use in any language? We are not Taliban!

Regards,
KRS

We are talking about addressing in the public domain.In private conversation depending on the intimacy even dee,daa are used.In a public forum ;like Tamil Brahmins it is better to use some meaningful Tamil or Sanskrit suffix or prefix.There is no offence made to Hindi here.I dont think we should go to the extent of using strong adjectives against those advocating this.It is certainly a personal choice and no one disputes that.It is only a recommendation.
I happened to be in the Samskrita Bharati office in Bangalore sometime back and how nice and pleasant it was to see people addressing and talking with visitors and amongst themselves in sweet sanskrit.

Dear Sri Sabesan Narayanaswamy, (I am leaving out the Ji that I usually use as a sign of my respect to others),

The originator's first words were: "Ours being tamil brahmins forum why we use ... ji at the end of a member's name? Not only it is not correct but also there is distaste as such."
Why is it distasteful and why is it not correct?

This imports a value judgement on those using it (yes, I am one of them). I don't understand what is so wrong with it - I have lived in the USA for the past 40 years and I address other Indian friends as such.

I see this general trend here about language usage. As I have said, 'Tamil Brahmins' does not mean that everyone who belong to this cultural group should know Tamil/Sanskrit and/or address each other in some specific language. This I think treats a few of our members who are born and raised in the north and who may incline to address others with respect using 'Ji' as not a part of the group.

Your comparing 'Ji' to 'dee' and 'da' is not correct. The former is a honorofic title while the latter are intimate words, not fit to be used in a public Forum.

So, I do not see any other import here than to try to impose one's own perceived linguistic heritage on others. With so many issues facing our community, why is this even raised as an issue? These types of proclamations do nothing but to divide ourselves; those who use no 'Ji's and those who use 'Ji's. Is this necessary?

Regards,
KRS

i am sure if it was a Northern Indian Forum any use of non Hindi words would have surely got the same response.
lets not play the divide and rule game anymore.
it does not matter how we address another as long its an auspicious way.
after all we are all Bharatiyars and its nice to know other ways to address people in other languages of the Indian Subcontinent.
Sanskrit greetings would be the best to cross all state borders and unite every Bharatiyar as Sanskrit belongs to everyone.

I expected this will generate a mix up of feed backs as above. Moderator always think, by virtue of their ethnic identity may be, to sharply comment on any thing which are not going well with theirs. I did not mean "telling any body to use a term". That was purly a suggestion aimed at to truely align with the very name/tiltle of the forum.
I also expect this postinmg of me attract a host of pungent replies, may be.
What I said is my suggestion and hold good still; those want to accept let them please so and others do not;Ok>> that is all. Caustic comments like "Taliban" etc are unworthy and they do not deserve to be in this decently transpiring forum. Kind Regards

Sri Pannvalan ji,

Absolutely true...I used a ridiculous word - MEGALOMANIAC, that refers to some one who has an exaggerated sense of self importance.

The term that I have used has no sense pertaining to this topic.

In fact I posted my comments last night in urgency just before signing-off from my office. Without taking a few seconds to evaluate the meaning of the word and it's relevancy to the topic I have committed this mistake.

I sincerely ask apology to all the members.

Cheers...

RAVI

"OFFCOURSE WE NEED TO BE A RELIGIOUS FANATIC."

By the above statement I meant to say that - There is nothing wrong for we as Hindu Brahmins to be proud and supportive to our tradition & culture for the sake of our wellbeing and our perseverance.

Cheers..

RAVI

Dear Sri Sabesan Narayanaswamy, (I am leaving out the Ji that I usually use as a sign of my respect to others),

The originator's first words were: "Ours being tamil brahmins forum why we use ... ji at the end of a member's name? Not only it is not correct but also there is distaste as such."
Why is it distasteful and why is it not correct?
This imports a value judgement on those using it (yes, I am one of them). I don't understand what is so wrong with it - I have lived in the USA for the past 40 years and I address other Indian friends as such.

I see this general trend here about language usage. As I have said, 'Tamil Brahmins' does not mean that everyone who belong to this cultural group should know Tamil/Sanskrit and/or address each other in some specific language. This I think treats a few of our members who are born and raised in the north and who may incline to address others with respect using 'Ji' as not a part of the group.

Your comparing 'Ji' to 'dee' and 'da' is not correct. The former is a honorofic title while the latter are intimate words, not fit to be used in a public Forum.

So, I do not see any other import here than to try to impose one's own perceived linguistic heritage on others. With so many issues facing our community, why is this even raised as an issue? These types of proclamations do nothing but to divide ourselves; those who use no 'Ji's and those who use 'Ji's. Is this necessary?

Regards,
KRS
Sri KRS
It is distasteful or rather not comfortable with at all times. If you meet one of your kith or kin or someone who is dear to you or who is one amongst you, will you use ...... ji or by a word of a langauge that which is your both that comes instinctively. . I am an admirer of Hindi.

Dear Sri drsundaram,

My comments stand on their own merit, as you elicited opinion. These are my personal views, not as a moderator.

By the way, what do you mean by "Moderator always think, by virtue of their ethnic identity may be, to sharply comment on any thing which are not going well with theirs" What do you imply by 'ethnic identity'? Are you implying I am not a TB? Are you implying that if I disagree with your views, I can not comment? I would like you to clarify this.

I fail to understand your comments here and above regarding my comments. You have said "Caustic comments like "Taliban" etc are unworthy and they do not deserve to be in this decently transpiring forum' May I ask you how this is a 'caustic' comment? 'Talibanization' is a very commonly used word today to describe some religious/cultural edict. "We are not Taliban' is not to be in anyways derogatory to you but to comment on your specific sentence "Hope valued members will agree to switch to Sri, Chi, Sow, Smt or Avargal, etc etc.". Sorry Sri drsundaram, your sentence seems to me to be a subtle pressure put on the members to switch. I apologize if my comments hurt you, but believe me, they were not meant to be hurtful.

Again, you say that saying 'Ji' is 'distasteful or rather not comfortable with at all times'. I still do not understand why it is 'distasteful'? Seems to me that perhaps you were trying to say that the word does not convey a sense of togetherness and seems very formal. If this is the case, then I agree. But that is not what you said. You have described the word as 'distasteful'. You have every right to say so. And it is also my right to express my opinion about using that term.

As I have said, we have members from all parts of India, as well as other countries. So, when you express an opinion that seems applicable to a narrow sliver of a language or custom, then please be prepared to get opinions on it.

Nothing personal.

Regards,
KRS

Sri KRS
It is distasteful or rather not comfortable with at all times. If you meet one of your kith or kin or someone who is dear to you or who is one amongst you, will you use ...... ji or by a word of a langauge that which is your both that comes instinctively. . I am an admirer of Hindi.

Last edited:
Dear Sri drsundaram,

My comments stand on their own merit, as you elicited opinion. These are my personal views, not as a moderator.

By the way, what do you mean by "Moderator always think, by virtue of their ethnic identity may be, to sharply comment on any thing which are not going well with theirs" What do you imply by 'ethnic identity'? Are you implying I am not a TB? Are you implying that if I disagree with your views, I can not comment? I would like you to clarify this.

I fail to understand your comments here and above regarding my comments. You have said "Caustic comments like "Taliban" etc are unworthy and they do not deserve to be in this decently transpiring forum' May I ask you how this is a 'caustic' comment? 'Talibanization' is a very commonly used word today to describe some religious/cultural edict. "We are not Taliban' is not to be in anyways derogatory to you but to comment on your specific sentence "Hope valued members will agree to switch to Sri, Chi, Sow, Smt or Avargal, etc etc.". Sorry Sri drsundaram, your sentence seems to me to be a subtle pressure put on the members to switch. I apologize if my comments hurt you, but believe me, they were not meant to be hurtful.

Again, you say that saying 'Ji' is 'distasteful or rather not comfortable with at all times'. I still do not understand why it is 'distasteful'? Seems to me that perhaps you were trying to say that the word does not convey a sense of togetherness and seems very formal. If this is the case, then I agree. But that is not what you said. You have described the word as 'distasteful'. You have every right to say so. And it is also my right to express my opinion about using that term.

As I have said, we have members from all parts of India, as well as other countries. So, when you express an opinion that seems applicable to a narrow sliver of a language or custom, then please be prepared to get opinions on it.

Nothing personal.

Regards,
KRS
Nice to hear from you Sri KRS, thank you. I am fully aware that everybody's inputs in this forum are open for receiving opinions and in line with the same me as well your good self and also any one should be ready. God bless you.

Dear Sri Drsundaram,

Thank you for your response.

In the spirit of discussion, and given my elaboration in my last posting, can you please answer/clarify the points I have raised?

"By the way, what do you mean by "Moderator always think, by virtue of their ethnic identity may be, to sharply comment on any thing which are not going well with theirs" What do you imply by 'ethnic identity'? Are you implying I am not a TB? Are you implying that if I disagree with your views, I can not comment? I would like you to clarify this.

I fail to understand your comments here and above regarding my comments. You have said "Caustic comments like "Taliban" etc are unworthy and they do not deserve to be in this decently transpiring forum' May I ask you how this is a 'caustic' comment?"

I would like to understand your clarifications on this, because I think that this issue carries with it deeper implications for the unity of TBs as a community. Thank you.

Regards,
KRS

While printing wedding invitations,generally we print chi as prefix to the groom's name and sow to the bride's name.This is the practice followed in Tamil nadu.But in Karnataka,the prefix for the groom and the bride is Chi.Ry and Sow.Ry respectively.I am not aware what does this additional prefix stand for.Any one is clear about this?
S.Sridharan

A couple of day ago I recieved a wedding invitation in which the Groom and bride name were prefixed with Aayushmaan and Aayushmathi.

With respects to Sri KRS, I do not want to drag on and keep on substantiating and counter answering these issues and clarifications whatever sought. Implications or whatever are all in our minds and not in our hearts. Let us continue our journey towards working for oneness in Tamilbrahmins.com.This forum is great source of information and panacea of valuable contributions of learned members of tamil brahmin community. I thank every one & God bless us all.

Sir, I am in karnataka but yet I do not know the Chi.Ry etc till you brought this out. let me check with kannadigas and revert. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back