• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar's 100th Century-A marvellous achievement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sachin is a result of "mob hysteria", "Big Hype", "media fools" & now become a "BIG Headache & nuisance" since he has no plans to retire !!.

It is shocking to see people paying glowing tributes to this "silly fellow" as against the many yeoman services by many NGO's, social workers, entrepreunuers,etc...

Now he played a silly game, stuck to the chair like a leech for 23 yrs, created some silly record which is totally useless ........

It is NOT wrong to write against some popular person. But are these words like 'media fools'. 'silly fellow', 'silly game' and

'silly records', necessary in the posts? :brick:

It is NOT wrong to write against some popular person. But are these words like 'media fools'. 'silly fellow', 'silly game' and

'silly records', necessary in the posts? :brick:

Hi Raji,

Sorry to use some strong words here. I am frankly appalled at all these praise on Sachin when millions die in our country due to lack of water, food, shelter, basic healthcare etc..

& we should be glorifying entrepreneurs, NGOs like they do in the US so that the next gen starts more & more businesses, NGOs etc... that will eliminate the poverty & liberate our people.

whats the point of glorifying Sachin & making our next gen focus on becoming cricketers. ?

Cheers,
JK

Yes he has.He is very active in charity works.Its a well known fact among the Sai devotee circle.
Here is one link about his charity work:

Living Legend Sachin Tendulkar - A site from a die hard Sachin Tendulkar Fan: Sachin Tendulkar's Charity work

Hi Renuka,

Stand corrected. but this is not enough, he should be doing a lot lot more !. I am not trying to pick here, he has such a massive following, he should be on TV doing social work every day.

Infact I have a lot of respect for Imran khan who started a super speciality hospital in Pakistan & doing a yeoman service, similarly the aussie cricketers many of them are involved in social work.

all of us need to "consistently talk, push everyone towards social work, enterprenuership, helping others in everyway we can" only then we can make a difference to our people.

Cheers,
JK

Imagine if everyone of us here & in our office, homes, etc.. talk about social service, giving back to society, helping the poor, about enterpreneurship. what a difference it will make.

if a few 100 people do social service it is like a cup of water from the ocean. but if millions do this, it will eradicate poverty overnight from our country !!

Hi Renuka,

Stand corrected. but this is not enough, he should be doing a lot lot more !. I am not trying to pick here, he has such a massive following, he should be on TV doing social work every day.

Infact I have a lot of respect for Imran khan who started a super speciality hospital in Pakistan & doing a yeoman service, similarly the aussie cricketers many of them are involved in social work.

all of us need to "consistently talk, push everyone towards social work, enterprenuership, helping others in everyway we can" only then we can make a difference to our people.

Cheers,
JK

Dear JK,

This is the only one I could get online but I have heard about more from the Sai circle.

Even though you feel its "lesser" than some other cricketers at least he is doing something.
Not everyone likes to make every act of their charity known to the whole world.

Even a single act of charity with a pure heart can tip the scale of balance in the eyes of God.
After all it was just a leaf placed by Rukmini and not the gold of Sathyabhama that tipped the scale for Lord Krishna.

Lets not judge Sachin..just share his happiness with your whole country.

Last edited:
Dear JK,

This is the only one I could get online but I have heard about more from the Sai circle.

Even though you feel its "lesser" than some other cricketers at least he is doing something.
Not everyone likes to make every act of their charity known to the whole world.

Even a single act of charity with a pure heart can tip the scale of balance in the eyes of God.
After all it was just a leaf placed by Rukmini and not the gold of Sathyabhama that tipped the scale for Lord Krishna.

Lets not judge Sachin..just share his happiness with your whole country.

Well said Renuka ji..There is a saying that charity begins at home..Instead of asking others let us first be charitable in whatever form..While we do not have the likes of Bill Gates in India but wealthy individuals have started to unlock their Ghazana's for social welfare too in India be it Azim Premji starting a Foundation for underprivileged or the Shiv Nadar foundation that has started working in Education..We require not just one or two here & there but we require a wave of charity not only from the media moghuls, business magnates, cine stars, iconic players but from each one of us

How I wish indian government will put on cyber space the tax disclosure/return document of all, especially of celebrities in all fields. Our dharma does no despise wealth, does not prohibit accumulation of wealth. So there is no need to be secretive.

you have to be generous to give credit to others. Being mean to others is a sure sign of selfishness and ignorance.
When you point your finger at others remember there are 3 fingers pointing back at you.

Mr. Tendulkar is earning his fame and money by doing his karma diligently.

This thread so far made me think of a few things:

1. Sports and similar endeavors (like Arts and Music) are viewed as somehow 'lesser' activities in India, perhaps. May be this attitude explains the country's shameful record in the Olympics. It is my opinion that Sports is as necessary as any intellectual and business endeavors to advance a civilization. Calling it 'silly' does not do proper justice to the role of sports in a society.

2. Many give to charity. Some do it privately, others do it to put their name out there. This is as personal an activity as it is, like one's relationship with one's own family. I am astonished that some would make assumptions about anyone without knowing what they do in private (which no one can) and are ready to point fingers. Publishing one's donations, online - really?!

3. We all tend to think that a famous person's life is all game for us to criticize and pass judgments. Let us at least try to put ourselves in their shoes.

Finally, I just have to say this - if you have nothing good to say about a person, it is better not to say it at all.

Just my two cents......

Regards,
KRS

This thread so far made me think of a few things:

1. Sports and similar endeavors (like Arts and Music) are viewed as somehow 'lesser' activities in India, perhaps. May be this attitude explains the country's shameful record in the Olympics. It is my opinion that Sports is as necessary as any intellectual and business endeavors to advance a civilization. Calling it 'silly' does not do proper justice to the role of sports in a society.

2. Many give to charity. Some do it privately, others do it to put their name out there. This is as personal an activity as it is, like one's relationship with one's own family. I am astonished that some would make assumptions about anyone without knowing what they do in private (which no one can) and are ready to point fingers. Publishing one's donations, online - really?!

3. We all tend to think that a famous person's life is all game for us to criticize and pass judgments. Let us at least try to put ourselves in their shoes.

Finally, I just have to say this - if you have nothing good to say about a person, it is better not to say it at all.

Just my two cents......

Regards,
KRS

Dear KRS,

1. when one is a celebrity & everyone is going gaga over his achievements & asking for Bharat ratna. It is our right to question this & ask what has he done.

2. when one says, he has achieved 100 centuries, I will ask does this even merit a word compared to the yeoman service that NGOs, red cross, old age homes etc.. do.

3. Sachin does privately contribute to causes is a even bigger issue. that he is refusing to use his massive following to eradicate the sufferings of 100s of millions of people is cruel & unfortunate.

4. if he comes on TV & tells everyone to contribute food to poor, all the crazy youths following him will do "TODAY & NOW"

5. yes, sports, arts, music are a lesser activity & infact totally useless when we have 800 mil people under dire poverty.

Lets all launch a war against poverty, suffering in our country. if Sachin is to be condemned for NOT doing his part to eliminate this, so be it. He is NOT greater than the 800 mil people.

Cheers,

JK

Dear KRS,

1. when one is a celebrity & everyone is going gaga over his achievements & asking for Bharat ratna. It is our right to question this & ask what has he done.

2. when one says, he has achieved 100 centuries, I will ask does this even merit a word compared to the yeoman service that NGOs, red cross, old age homes etc.. do.

3. Sachin does privately contribute to causes is a even bigger issue. that he is refusing to use his massive following to eradicate the sufferings of 100s of millions of people is cruel & unfortunate.

4. if he comes on TV & tells everyone to contribute food to poor, all the crazy youths following him will do "TODAY & NOW"

5. yes, sports, arts, music are a lesser activity & infact totally useless when we have 800 mil people under dire poverty.

Lets all launch a war against poverty, suffering in our country. if Sachin is to be condemned for NOT doing his part to eliminate this, so be it. He is NOT greater than the 800 mil people.

Cheers,

JK

Great attitude, If you are not a little astonished by your sentiment, what can we say. Every poster here would be shocked by your sentiment. I have nothing to add.

Great attitude, If you are not a little astonished by your sentiment, what can we say. Every poster here would be shocked by your sentiment. I have nothing to add.

Hi Prasad,

Sorry, no offence meant & did not mean to put you all off !. I know I have been very tough/mean on this subject.

It is just that I feel very strongly when people go overboard celebrating the 100 centuries of Sachin, when there are many people who are doing exceptional social work.

Cheers,
JK

Dear Sri JayKay767 Ji,
My response is in 'blue':

Dear KRS,

Fair enough. But you also, I would hope, see why these folks go 'gaga' - because Sports is not trivial to them. In your outlook, it is, which is a value judgement on your part.

Just because one is more valuable in your eyes, based on your opinion, does not make any other accomplishments that contribute to a society any lesser.

Again, what is cruel & unfortunate here is your rash to judgement on a person's personal and private life. This looks unseemly to me. Yes, we may want him to act in certain ways. But let us not question any one's motives if one's actions do not conform to our own ideas as to how to resolve poverty in India.

4. if he comes on TV & tells everyone to contribute food to poor, all the crazy youths following him will do "TODAY & NOW".
Why should he do that? If youths do so, because he tells them, then India is in real bad condition than I thought. Please don't sell the nobility of India's youth short like this.

Again, I totally disagree. Maslow's theory notwithstanding, Sports can teach a lot on how to succeed in life and arts and music can ennoble the person's civilized outlook. They are not luxuries. They should be part of a person's life apart from filling one's belly.

The point is HE IS NOT LESSER either. But, then, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect it (just, please, don't call me 'silly'! :) )

Cheers,

JK

Regards,
KRS

Hi JK Sir,

My humble suggestion to you:

Please open a new thread to bring into the limelight, the achievements of persons, whose services you regard as very high.

Let the members of this forum know about them! :)

Dear KRS,

Cheers,

JK
Why is Sachin being dumped with this responsibility? By being popular he acquires this responsibility?
Or, are you saying that Bharat Ratna awardees have to display this to deserve it?
I am unable to understand what you are saying with respect to Sachin's recent accomplishment.

Why is Sachin being dumped with this responsibility? By being popular he acquires this responsibility?
Or, are you saying that Bharat Ratna awardees have to display this to deserve it?
I am unable to understand what you are saying with respect to Sachin's recent accomplishment.

Hi Ozone,

yes, Bharat Ratna awardees must do all this to deserve the award.

My grouse is with the people who are glorifying Sachin. he should not be glorified unless he helps the poor & needy "significantly"

Cheers,
JK

Mr. Jk,
I said I have nothing more to say to you, I thought your reply was thoughtful, but now you keep harping on this again.
Tell me one person who did the most to alleviate the world poverty?
Can any one ever do enough?
Who will be the judge of that?
Either go and eradicate poverty or work towards it, or accept that it will be unsermountable problem. We all can do our part and that is all anyone can expect.

Hi JK:

I like your views on this.

I want Sachin NOT to appear in commercials peddling cheap products! He becomes a Cheap Salesman!!

He has Young India behind him. He has the ability to turn their support and enthusiasm for something very constructive.

However, if Bharat Ratna is given to Sports, he has earned it, as AR Rahman has earned it for Popular Music.

Who knows, neither may get one, because of the Dirty Politics!

Wait & watch.

:)

ps. Muhammed Ali used his fame to highlight the NEED for Civil Rights and he went to Jail disobeying the bigoted order of President Nixon... suffered humiliation and set back: his Title was stripped by law.

That's why he became an immortal Sports Legend in America and elsewhere. :)

Last edited:
....yes, Bharat Ratna awardees must do all this to deserve the award.
Well, I just looked up the list of Bharat Ratnas, and you know what, the list includes MGR, Rajiv Gandhi, Lata Mangeshkar, and the egotistical, rich and powerful worshiping, self-serving, poverty peddler, "Mother" Theresa. If these people deserve the much revered award, surely Sachin who has given all Indians, not to mention all the non-Indian Cricket fans, so much joy and enjoyment, is not disqualified outright.

If "Mother" Theresa, who supported the likes of Jean-Claude Duvalier and Charles Keating, is worthy of Bharat Ratna, why not Sachin? Afterall, Sachin never supported anyone who killed/tortured his own people like Duvalier, or stood by the likes of Keating who cheated old men and women of their life savings.

There will always be a section of people bemoaning the honest success of others, that is just way it is.

Cheers!

Well, I just looked up the list of Bharat Ratnas, and you know what, the list includes MGR, Rajiv Gandhi, Lata Mangeshkar, and the egotistical, rich and powerful worshiping, self-serving, poverty peddler, "Mother" Theresa. If these people deserve the much revered award, surely Sachin who has given all Indians, not to mention all the non-Indian Cricket fans, so much joy and enjoyment, is not disqualified outright.

If "Mother" Theresa, who supported the likes of Jean-Claude Duvalier and Charles Keating, is worthy of Bharat Ratna, why not Sachin? Afterall, Sachin never supported anyone who killed/tortured his own people like Duvalier, or stood by the likes of Keating who cheated old men and women of their life savings.

There will always be a section of people bemoaning the honest success of others, that is just way it is.

Cheers!

Hi Nara,

Let me clarify. I have no issues with Sachin, he is making money playing cricket.

My issue is with the people who are going gaga over him & asking for Bharat ratna. when you have so many people doing yeoman service, they deserve the award more than others.

I only asked wht has he done?, to deserve this award. & I gave my opinion (which i am entitled to) that i dont consider him in the same class as Lara, Viv Richards, let alone Don Bradman.

so that doesnt mean I am bemoaning his success !!

Cheers,
JK

Hi Nara,

Let me clarify. I have no issues with Sachin, he is making money playing cricket.

My issue is with the people who are going gaga over him & asking for Bharat ratna. when you have so many people doing yeoman service, they deserve the award more than others.

I only asked wht has he done?, to deserve this award. & I gave my opinion (which i am entitled to) that i dont consider him in the same class as Lara, Viv Richards, let alone Don Bradman.

so that doesnt mean I am bemoaning his success !!

Cheers,
JK

Hi JK,
Among the cricketers quoted by you but for Bradman no one comes closest to Sachin..Sachin has put in an amazing performance for the last 21 years & he is the best cricketer the country has ever produced...Lionizing Sachin in the form of Bharat Ratna would definitely be an inspiration to the youth...Also you are talking about lot of people doing yeoman service...Who are these people...Let us debate the work by these noble persons also

Hi JK,
Among the cricketers quoted by you but for Bradman no one comes closest to Sachin..Sachin has put in an amazing performance for the last 21 years & he is the best cricketer the country has ever produced...Lionizing Sachin in the form of Bharat Ratna would definitely be an inspiration to the youth...Also you are talking about lot of people doing yeoman service...Who are these people...Let us debate the work by these noble persons also

Hi vgane,

Lets agree to disagree on our opinions on how great sachin is as a cricketer.

My issue with this statement is "Bharat Ratna to Sachin will be an inspiration". what insipration ?. - all the kids will be "inspired" to become cricketers.

Now does this "cricket inspiration" help anyone in this world let alone the 800 mil people in dire poverty in this country !! wouldnt it have been a better "inspiration" if NGO's, social workers, Red Cross etc.. are given the Bharat Ratna ??

we all need to encourage activities that contribute to "common & greater good" than idolize a Sachin who has made 100s of crores for himself playing Cricket !!

Cheers,
JK

Hi vgane,

Lets agree to disagree on our opinions on how great sachin is as a cricketer.

My issue with this statement is "Bharat Ratna to Sachin will be an inspiration". what insipration ?. - all the kids will be "inspired" to become cricketers.

Now does this "cricket inspiration" help anyone in this world let alone the 800 mil people in dire poverty in this country !! wouldnt it have been a better "inspiration" if NGO's, social workers, Red Cross etc.. are given the Bharat Ratna ??

we all need to encourage activities that contribute to "common & greater good" than idolize a Sachin who has made 100s of crores for himself playing Cricket !!

Cheers,
JK

The Indian Government in Dec 2011, modified for the first time the criteria for Bharat Ratna which earlier recognized only Art, Science, Social Service and Literature to recognize exemplary work in any field of human endeavour...So sportsperson can be included in this....

Sachin may have earned any sum of money...But countrymen who hold him dear to their heart are bothered only about his achievement which made the country proud...Distribution of his wealth is his prerogative...Suppose Government wants to recognize Abhinav Bindra who won us the first individual gold medal in Olympics will you ask this question whether he has distributed his wealth for getting a award from Government...We need to recognize talent in all areas including sports that includes cricket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back