• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Request for help by Srividhya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larger base

Hi You have mistaken. I have not given loans. They have taken educational loan and i am just giving them the interest. After education, the fixed loan will be converted into emi and they will repay the bank. I am assisting them in paying the monthly interest for capital sum taken as loan. Making education free up to 10th is a very big task and we require to enroll a larger audience to address this issue. Best of luck you can give a try. invariably when such a big structure is taken the objective gets forgotten over the period of time.

Hi You have mistaken. I have not given loans. They have taken educational loan and i am just giving them the interest. After education, the fixed loan will be converted into emi and they will repay the bank. I am assisting them in paying the monthly interest for capital sum taken as loan. Making education free up to 10th is a very big task and we require to enroll a larger audience to address this issue. Best of luck you can give a try. invariably when such a big structure is taken the objective gets forgotten over the period of time.

I was not talking about you when I mentioned loans...

Free education is an idea... (the level which I have given is just an indication...). Saying that a big structure tends to forget its objectives is a sweeping generalization... On the same lines, I would say that shorter and individual efforts do not sustain over time...

I understand that and that is the reason for a list of potential donor and donee. If the donor wants to create an endowment under the trust, we can give options. However my suggestion would be is to assist the people who are coming out of plus two for professional educational.

Reason is two fold :

1. Number will be less
2. Government encourage banks to give them loan.

So the trust will be giving only the interest. On my experience, i find interest cost for an engineering student is equal to the fees that is charged by many central board
institutions

Slowly after gaining experience and also spread the good intention, we could take plus two and then move downwards.

Ok that is an option – but first we need to come together to form a trust. The trust can function as a single umbrella for brahmins and also act as a forum for ideas (and actions) such as yours…

We can have local groups formed who can verify the credentials and send this to the core group for approval. once it is done the local group can coordinate to make sure that the money reaches the appropriate person at the appropriate time. We can seek couple of documents as proof to filter out the genuine applicants. Also the money can be directly given in the form of DD to the institution, so as to ensure that it reaches the right person. Also we can fix some criteria to continue sponsoring the education every semester.

This help can be given in the form of loan. once the student completes the education this can be repaid to the trust wihout interest. This will also ensure that the student takes more intrest in helping the community back.

we can also propose to have a library in every district to help the students get books as loan. This way we can also provide employment to some unemployed youths as librarians.

Dear Tsrajanganesh:
I am sorry to have to say this: everybody is an arm-chair quarterback (sorry! this is a unique American Expression!). When we started this, I tried my best to set up local contacts in major cities to verify the veracity of recipients but I never received any response. For Sri Vidya's case, (the first one) I had to rely on a friend in Coimbatore. In another case, I personally went to the place to check them out (I was in Chennai at that time).

Well, talk is cheap and everybody is full of ideas and suggestions. But when it comes to executing them or getting personally involved, the very same people who suggested the idea, wouldn't come forward to volunteer.
It seems to be the tamilbrahmin way!!
I tried my level best to set up the trust but couldn't pull it off.

p.s. Tsrajanganesh, please don't get me wrong; your suggestions are great and my comments weren't directed at you!

Regarding giving out money, I like PRP Sarathy's: His suggestion is for the students to take out the loan and for us to pay the interest. He has been doing this on his own also.

We can have local groups formed who can verify the credentials and send this to the core group for approval. once it is done the local group can coordinate to make sure that the money reaches the appropriate person at the appropriate time. We can seek couple of documents as proof to filter out the genuine applicants. Also the money can be directly given in the form of DD to the institution, so as to ensure that it reaches the right person. Also we can fix some criteria to continue sponsoring the education every semester.

This help can be given in the form of loan. once the student completes the education this can be repaid to the trust wihout interest. This will also ensure that the student takes more intrest in helping the community back.

Last edited:
Silverfox, the problem could be that brahmins who are well settled abroad now want to lend a hand to the community... which is quite fair.

Those in India are hard pressed for time and money... they might oblige a few requests, not all... thus it slowly fades away...

Shall continue later...

Dear Seshadri Subramaniam:

I was not referring to the money part of it; we were looking for members (in India) who could just act as fact checkers in case someone from that city asked for help.

Silverfox, the problem could be that brahmins who are well settled abroad now want to lend a hand to the community... which is quite fair.

Those in India are hard pressed for time and money... they might oblige a few requests, not all... thus it slowly fades away...

Shall continue later...

Yeah... just continuing from my earlier post...

How can we make people come forward to work for the community? Who would want to leave a secure job and do work for a trust, member characteristics of which are too well known?

The fate of ******* is well known... part timers cannot do justice... you are trying to get some sort of an informal group banded together that you can rely upon... It may not be sustained over a period of time.

I have some of my brahmin friends in Coimbatore with whom I have discussed the issue... few of them are unwilling to spare time (or money) for the cause, as they simply do not believe in the exercise!

Yes, one way to circumvent the issue would be to help in one's personal capacity... but again that is not a permanent solution.

May I please ask the lines on which you were planning to start the trust?

Silverfox, one more request... I see from the tag below your id that you are an administrator...

Is it possible for us to take a vote on how many of our brahmin brethren, who visit this forum, are ready for the idea of a common trust (for education, health care etc)?

And that how many active members are ready to work full time (in India)?

It might be difficult for all like minded people to meet together without even having agreed on a cause and hence the poll...

Yes or No would be fine as an answer...

If "Yes", then I would like to see this implemented...

i personally feel the following :

1. Before getting into the concept of raising fund, first is to raise the awareness to people both to be the donor and donee
Email to people
Good socio-economic details
Members from different part of tamil nadu to high the local environment of
brahmisn like madurai, tenkasi etc..
2. Enroll people as mentors - Educated and people in good position and also retired
who can actually tutor people

Once membership of the site increases, then we must look at membership and endowment. To be different from the others in the space for collecting funds, we must give the following flexibility to the donors :

a. Choose the donee
b. Quarterly income & expenditure & CAsh flow and Balance Sheet
c. Increase advertisement specifically for marriage, house hold employment

Dear Silverfox,
I am currently in Chennai and if needed i can coordinate with like minded people in Chennai to try forming local groups. I think we can find few more like minded people in Chennai with whom we can work. As a first step let us try to find out how many of our members are in Chennai. Once we have the list we can try to reach out to them to see if they might be intrested in joining the noble cause. The most important thing is we need to have members to work at ground level and once we have that we can always mobilise funds.

If someone in chennai is intrested in joining this noble cause please respond to this thread as well as mail me to [email protected]

Providing Support could just be the starting point, but we can have a long term vision and goal to have our own schools and medical institutions which can also help in poor and deserving people getting support as well as employement.

As mentioned in another thread i am one of the founding member of an NGO Called as R.E.A.C.H and if you are fine i can try to explore the possiblity of partnering with R.E.A.C.H after discussion with the Trustees.

Last edited:
I tried my level best to set up the trust but couldn't pull it off.
Hi Silverfox,
I like to say at present i collected(with some friends also) 5000/ ind rupees. But as you told you can not able to set up a trust for tamil brahmins.com can i sent this amt to ******* FOUNDATION Public Charitable Trust?

Hi Silverfox,
I like to say at present i collected(with some friends also) 5000/ ind rupees. But as you told you can not able to set up a trust for tamil brahmins.com can i sent this amt to ******* FOUNDATION Public Charitable Trust?

hi all,
i visited www.keralaiyers.com and they have trust called KIT foundation.
they do the same ...like us... can we get some help from them for
donations..recently they got one lakh rupees from some individual for
donation..it is my suggestion.

regards
tbs

Dear Whisper:
If you want to donate to the *******, it is your prerogative. However, based on our experience, we didn't think they were doing a good job of helping the needy as we did in the last two years. They wouldn't even return phone calls, or respond to emails when we approached them. Please don't take it as if I am trying to bash them.
I am requesting one of our members (lawyer) who is working on setting up a trust to respond to this posting.

Hi Silverfox,

Silverfox-ji,

If you were to set up a trust, would you accept contributions from non-brahmins ? I mean, if someone were to contribute whatever possible from their end towards the betterment of their brahmin brethern (am thinking in terms of betterment of relationship between communities) - would it be acceptable?

Regards.

Dear Ms. Happyhindu:
As far as I am concerned, you ARE a Brahmin!! As Sri Sri Nacchinarkiniyan has said, You are a Brahmin based on your qualities and NOT by your birth.
Seriously, we have had several non-brahmin members in this Forum contributing to the education of poor brahmin students. By all means, please do. All I ask is to just wait until we hear from our friend on where things stand. Thank you again.

Silverfox-ji,

If you were to set up a trust, would you accept contributions from non-brahmins ? I mean, if someone were to contribute whatever possible from their end towards the betterment of their brahmin brethern (am thinking in terms of betterment of relationship between communities) - would it be acceptable?

Regards.

Hi,

Generally practice smart CAs get these exemptions very easy. They are in the line of business and you must have handle our burueacracy.

Hi PRPSarathy:
It is not that we couldn't set up the trust per se. It is the question of getting two or three of our Chennai members to act as trustees.

Hi,

Generally practice smart CAs get these exemptions very easy. They are in the line of business and you must have handle our burueacracy.

Dear Whisper:
If you want to donate to the *******, it is your prerogative. However, based on our experience, we didn't think they were doing a good job of helping the needy as we did in the last two years. They wouldn't even return phone calls, or respond to emails when we approached them. Please don't take it as if I am trying to bash them.
I am requesting one of our members (lawyer) who is working on setting up a trust to respond to this posting.
Dear silverfox,
Ok i will wait for your lawyer to get back to you abt the trust. Then i will donate to the trust. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back