• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only hindrance to spiritual progress is desire. Desires are of various kinds; desire to possess, desire for fame, desire for power and positions, desire for happiness etc. But true happiness comes not in acquiring but in renouncing. While Ramayana teaches that one should not have desire for woman (Pennasai), Mahabharata teaches that one should not have desire for possessions (Mannasai).
V.S. Krishnan

The only hindrance to spiritual progress is desire. Desires are of various kinds; desire to possess, desire for fame, desire for power and positions, desire for happiness etc. But true happiness comes not in acquiring but in renouncing. While Ramayana teaches that one should not have desire for woman (Pennasai), Mahabharata teaches that one should not have desire for possessions (Mannasai).
V.S. Krishnan

What about desire for spiritual progress? is that also not a desire and so bad hindrance? if renouncing is message of Ramayana why should Rama come back to throne? again, he should have renounced and gone with pregnant sita to forest instead of banishing. One rule for god and another for gullible devotees!!

Self (Atman) is our pure, natural and true state. To be conscious of our Self is to remain what we really are. But, we confuse ourselves by believing "I am the body", "I am so-and-so" etc. We identify our consciousness "I am" with a particular body. Our consciousness is not something material whereas our body is merely a bundle of physical matter. Yet, we are deluded into mistaking this material body to be our consciousness. By spiritual progress, I only meant to correct this mistake. So, it cannot be a desire. It is only correcting the mistake. It is only seeking and realising the Atman within; to be what really, originally and naturally we are.

Lord Rama has come back to throne, not out of desire, but to perform his duties as King. Everyone has to perform his duties. He should perform them not with an eye on the reward, not with a sense of "I" but with a sense of duty. Renunciation does not mean leaving everything and going to the forest. Renunciation means remaining in the world, performing the duties and yet adopting a sense of detachment.

V.S. Krishnan

The difference

Is there any one who can tell me the main deviation between Ramayan and Mahabharat?

It is that difference that RAMA was born at 12 Madhyandin,
and KRISHNA was born midnight 12.

Bhagwan Vishnu examplified and posted an ideal personality; and what this personality could not do has been examplified by Lord as Krishna.
This is avery big subject there is much more that can be joted.
Let others also write to keep focus.
VPK

Self

Self (Atman) is our pure, natural and true state. To be conscious of our Self is to remain what we really are. But, we confuse ourselves by believing "I am the body", "I am so-and-so" etc. We identify our consciousness "I am" with a particular body. Our consciousness is not something material whereas our body is merely a bundle of physical matter. Yet, we are deluded into mistaking this material body to be our consciousness. By spiritual progress, I only meant to correct this mistake. So, it cannot be a desire. It is only correcting the mistake. It is only seeking and realising the Atman within; to be what really, originally and naturally we are.

Lord Rama has come back to throne, not out of desire, but to perform his duties as King. Everyone has to perform his duties. He should perform them not with an eye on the reward, not with a sense of "I" but with a sense of duty. Renunciation does not mean leaving everything and going to the forest. Renunciation means remaining in the world, performing the duties and yet adopting a sense of detachment.

V.S. Krishnan

This 'I" is very troublesome to many.
Lord Kishna is called as Hrishikesh means he can conquer and direct his own senses.

There is only a similarity. Both Ravana and Duryodhana, despite being good, were driven by ego. Let us not be concerned with differences. Let us look inward and see whether there is any trace of ego, represented by Ravana or Duryodhana, is with us and try to overcome them.

...... But, we confuse ourselves by believing "I am the body", "I am so-and-so" etc. We identify our consciousness "I am" with a particular body. Our consciousness is not something material whereas our body is merely a bundle of physical matter. Yet, we are deluded into mistaking this material body to be our consciousness.
Hi, on what basis do you assert there is something different from "body" called consciousness? Can you provide a rational argument for your claim free of religious dogma?

Cheers!

V.S.Krishnan your reply is wonderful. All the demigods like SIVA, Vishnu and Brahma,Ganesh are living in our own body and they are helping us,but in lowerlevel of the body, for a person in spiritual path wanted progress he should do meditation and in a final stage he will understand the realism of the Human birth and consciousness. s.r.k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back