• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The seventh incarnation of Lord Vishnu, Rama is said to have taken birth on earth to annihilate the evil forces of the age. He is widely believed to be an actual historical figure - a "tribal hero of ancient India". Hindus believe that Rama lived in the Treta Yug.

One should see the main theme in Vaalmiki Ramayana - Rama is depicted as one who, like other ordinary human beings, experienced the pangs of separation from Sita. For what reason Rama exhibit such feelings? Rama behaved in this manner to serve as an example to the common people how individuals should behave in similar circumstances.

“Daivam Maanusharoopena” declares the scripture (God in human form). It is only when God comes in human form can human beings have the full opportunity to experience and enjoy the divine.

All religions have come into existence to make man realize the source from which he has come and to which he should return.

r sridharan

Everywhere everywhere only the feelings of rama has been explained and talked out. What about sita??? Why the hell a person of no contact with the boon or curse, Mr. Lakshmana should go along with him?? Atleast the rama lived happily with his wife sita for 10 years... What will be the condition of Urmila??? I can even agree until Pattabhisheka, but after that also on hearing just a voice of dhobi rama sent again sita to forest (She was in the family way that time)... Finally my conclusion about rama is he was perfect in all. dasaratha rama, rajarama, kousalya rama, anantha rama...but he scored only "0%" as "sita rama". If he was perfect, he should also enter into the fire to prove his own chastity in the inbetween period when he left sita...

1.I have some doubts, whether the sastras allow killing trees just to prove one's power??
2.On what basis rama again entered into his kingdom as a person exhalted his own country for twelve years
3.Is anywhere in ramayana it has been told that Rama was the last person who participated in the contest (Suyamvara). If not, breaking the bow is not breaking the rules??

Iam much confused who is the best character in ramayana... Certainly I dont vote for Rama. But a confusion is among "Sita, Lakshmana, silent URMILA, Bharatha, Hanuman". I think all are much heroic and because of their afflictions this rama stood as a hero.

Pranams

Well… one school of thought says that when at panchavati, it was Sita who got distracted by the golden dear and therefore was responsible for getting separated from Rama
and therefore had to prove her worthiness by passing the test - as said before, there are always an apparent meaning and hidden philosophical meaning in all scriptures and as the philosophical meaning unfolds layer by layer, the more enjoyable it becomes

How is it wise to give a punishment three times for a single wrong-doing???

The separation from rama itself is a punishment for sita for that distraction. Then again she went into the fire, next she was exiled by rama from ayodhya. Finally, even the lordess of mercy and calm herself reached the core and entered into the earth. How can a wise hero like rama can justify this doings???

Even in some other school, in chitrakoota itself, maya sita was created by sage Anusya and original sita was hided in the fire. To get back only sita did agnipravesha. Anyhow, the final part (I mean utharakanda) is very worse na...

Pranams

In the first instance it is Seeta who committed a great sin by doubting Laxmana. Accusing him of an impostor and he (Laxman) trying to secure her leaving Rama to die. Is this not a great blunder?

Well, DD we can not come to any hasty conclusion when so many meanings can be read in Ramayan.

It is said that Rama’s avatar came to an end with the slaying of Raavana. After that battle, Rama remained only as a King of the Ikshvaaku race. On this theory, Rama’s treatment of Seeta after the battle and in the Uttarakaanda can be explained simply as a behavior of an ordinary mortal king in accordance with the customs of the times.

Seeta’s sorrows have not ended with the Ramayana though. They go on, still, in the lives of our women even to this day.

As I have said elsewhere, sorrow and joy are both alike the play of God. It is said that God himself took with him his divine spouse, the embodiment of his own supreme compassion, into the world of men and women, and enacted with her a great drama of joy and sorrow in Ramayan.

Those who regard Ramayana as an allegory interpret Seeta as the individual soul and Rama as the Supreme Being. It should be understood as God seeks and pursues the human soul till He secures it. He is eager to save every one of us for all our actions.

" I bow again and again to Sree Rama who removes (all) obstacles and grants all our wealth and pleases all of us. "​

Respected Sridharan ji

The ramabhakthi within you is very great. But this forum is to discuss and get things to be clarified na... Even I have great devotion with Hanuman and devi sita. There is no need that the supreme soul will always be in the form of "male" and even in the tantric worship it is said clear that devi mathangi is the incarnation of "shri rama", Shri somasundareswara "the sita" and Shri nandi bahagawan as "Shri hanuman". So, my question is in the aim of not to degrade rama certainly. I wanna know whether rama can be taken as an example for all doings since he behaved like a human. If you replace that with krishna, I will say "OK" with my eyes shut. But when the question is Rama, I started to think. Even now, I agree rama as a good ruler. I want to know whether he was OK with his personal life (As a husband and as a father??) so that we can take him as an example (See Sridharan ji, we are not rulers to go ahead with Rajya needhis and all, we are all simple prajas). In day to day life we are husbands, wives, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters. I need what I wish. Certainly not the unwanted. Even if I show some bad examples from Ramayana, you will say that as "YUGA DHARMAM" and "DHARMA OF HUMANS, MONKEYS, DHANAVAS, etc.". So am not entering into that at all...

Pranams

Last edited:
To All : Discussed inthis topic I found nothing new or a Very good answer, I wish to point out that Rama,Sita, Krishna as only Davergal and devi. They also wanted Mukathi they should born as a Human form only, because mukthi is the gift to Humans only, so the 33core Dava deviyar has to take human body and wash their Karmas and to obtain Mukthi. Ramayanam written 10,000 years before Ramas birth. The Birth of BG was Arjuns Imagination; that his GF, Guru, Kula Guruand frients will not participatin thewar after that Arjun realized the Truth in front of him by viewing all he get fear,(Kaishmalam ... in chennai Tamil word Kasmallam may from this Davanagi Word) . So as Doctor Krishna Dispencedthe Medicine name GB. I have read both books just for giving some example to quote in my Satsangs. I am not impressed by any of characters, but I was shocked by the Bharathan 's aptitude to get the Patha Kuradu from Ram and as him to walk with barefoot in the Jungle for 12 years. s.r.k.

Sri Durgadasan ji Namashkar,

You said “…..even in the tantric worship it is said clear that devi mathangi is the incarnation of "shri rama" “

and

“I wanna know whether rama can be taken as an example for all doings since he behaved like a human “

I have a feeling you contradict yourself……. When Devi Mathangi, the all powerful deity herself is said to be the incarnation of Rama, why one should hesitate to take Sri Rama as an example?

Further, Mother is the personality that appeals most to the human heart, not so much the Father who is considered a hard task-master. May be this is the reason Shri DD ji refuses to accept the qualities of Sri Rama.

I don’t deny the power of Shakthi - the conception of the Divinity as Devi, Durga or Sri, is not merely a theory but a practical way of life. It is a particular view which cannot be set aside. It is as important as any school of religious belief, and is one of the most important reigning branches of Hindu religion—Vaishnavism, Saivism and Saktaism. Even a subtle philosopher cannot dispense with the conception of Sakti, for he is essentially an embodiment of Power, and he has love for power. The highest Intelligence and the most speculative metaphysics is only a manifestation of Jnana-Sakti and is not outside the range of Saktaism.

Now DD ji, but what's in a name whether it be Devi Mathangi or Sri Rama? For me both are Supreme Beings. As Shakespeare put it ‘that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet’ is that not so?

Thathasthu!

- sridharan

. It is said that God himself took with him his divine spouse, the embodiment of his own supreme compassion, into the world of men and women, and enacted with her a great drama of joy and sorrow in Ramayan.

Those who regard Ramayana as an allegory interpret Seeta as the individual soul and Rama as the Supreme Being. It should be understood as God seeks and pursues the human soul till He secures it.

Dear Sridharan ji

It is in this regard, I mean Rama as sakthi and sita as siva. There is no restriction that the supreme soul (GOD) is always the man and not the woman.

Let it be shakti or vishnu. Thats not my botheration at all sir. Yes. Now also am repeating the same question. Can we take rama as an example for perfect family-man (I mean as a father and husband)??? The very same with krishna is acceptable for me. When it comes to rama, I am very sorry that if I had a father like that, am damn sure I will not show any sorta affection and if I possess my betterhalf like this, am sure it will end up in divorce...

Again, views are always different and this is exactly my POV only. What am expecting here is any learned scholars can give me reasons and clarify me that rama is also good father and husband. Thats all.

Pranams

Hello DD ji, Namashkar,

Once again I would say that Ramayana is an epic story portraying exemplary characters. Rama is the ideal king, Sita the perfect wife and Hanuman the perfect devotee.

It appears all other aspects whether Rama is an ideal husband, Sita an ideal sister-in-law, Dasaratha an ideal father, Kaikeyi an ideal mother etc are irrelevant because Ramayan is told in the true spirit of describing a Hindu family akin to the realities of family feuds that are inherent in a typical Indian society.

For that matter even Ravan does not appear to be an evil king because he housed Sita for 12 months without even touching her! Ravan was known to be a Brahmin, a descendant of the Rishi Pulastya. Ravana was a great chanter of the Sama Veda, and a great devotee of Lord Shiva who had visited Mount Kailash, Ravana was well versed in Sanskrit and even the composer of the famous Shiva Tandava Stotra.Why a great character like Ravana should be killed in Ramayan?

Hence literally we can not dissect characters in Ramayan, sometimes these can be contradicting.

sridharan

So my dear Sridharan ji, we cannot take rama as an ideal husband and father. Thats enough. Even I too already accepted that Rama is an ideal king. Certainly no second opinion in that.

"It appears all other aspects whether Rama is an ideal husband, Sita an ideal sister-in-law, Dasaratha an ideal father, Kaikeyi an ideal mother etc are irrelevant because Ramayan is told in the true spirit of describing a Hindu family akin to the realities of family feuds that are inherent in a typical Indian society".

You meant that this stroy came to show the Hindu family feuds. But with a hero who is not fit for a family-head, but is totally fit for head of society... Yes. In true life also am seeing many such persons, who will run for others, who take much care for other feelings, but never even turn even their wife or son fell down. Many Ramas are around me. For Dasaratha, kowsalya, lakshmana, bharatha, hanuman, why not each and every character except my innocent sita, this rama was favorable... Even this sita too believed him forever and kept her mouth shut even when he drove her away when she is on her family-way. Finally, the real heroine (certainly there is no hero at all in ramayana) got angry and went into the earth.

I will suggest the reasons:

1. With her single curse, she can kill ravana
2. With her blessings, she made the fire as ice to shri hanuman
3. With her bliss, she even atlast blessed the srilanka and departed from there

But she just waited for Rama, to show his powers and this shows her simplicity... The prize won by simplicity is ...????????????

Pranams

Durgadasan ji Namashkar,

I respect your reverence to Sita Devi. I have also acknowledged the Supreme Power of Shakthi. But I still don't accept one part of Ramayan where Sita is led into doubt Laxman. The only explanation we can offer in Ramayan is, Sita has been portrayed as any other ordinary Indian woman.

The misfortunes of our lives, according to Indian thinkers, are but the results of our misdeeds; calamities are brought about by our sins and karmas. And thus we find in this Indian Epic, that a dark and foul suspicion against Lakshman crossed the stainless mind of Sita, and words of unmerited insult fell from her gentle lips, on the eve of the great calamity which clouded her life ever after. It was the only occasion on which the ideal woman of the Epic harboured an unjust thought or spoke an angry word; and it was followed by a tragic fate which few women on earth have suffered. To the millions of men and women in India, Sita remains to this day the ideal of female love and female devotion; her dark suspicions against Lakshman sprang out of an excess of her affection for her husband which resulted in a fatal tragic fate and a long trial for her.

sridharan

Dear shridharan ji

That is absolutely true. Sita, being the supreme power of sakthi, just behaved like a ordinary woman on that occasion. I accept that. Sort of punishment is also required there. But my question is for this simple(?) issue, whether such a dues of punishments are necessary??? Also, if sita has been punished for her deed, why rama was not punished? (driving away a wife (That too a pregnant way) even without her knowledge and leaving her in a jungle apparently and absconding is not a sin). What vedic mantras are telling during marriage? At any cost, the husband should not leave his wife na. Till her death, he should protect her na? Did rama did that??

Pranams

Durgadasan ji Pranam,

I am coming back to our debate.... as I have already said in my last reply, Sita's dark suspicions against Lakshman sprang out of an excess of her affection for her husband which resulted in a fatal tragic fate and a long trial for her. On the other hand Rama never have hurt anyone in his life and willingly accepted the fate of sufferings in the forest, instead of ruling the Kingdom. Universally Rama is hailed as a God who has even gone to the extent of punishing his own wife to establish to the World that Sita is an ideal example of purity in women.

Though this may look harsh, Ramayan always brings out the ethical values of men and women. I don't think there is any part of Ramayan that go without any reason......

sridharan

Last edited:
Namaste sridharanrji,

As per Valmiki Ramayana Lord Rama did not punish Seeta Maata. Agni Pravesha by Seeta Maata was her own decision to leave her mortal body ie Lord Rama did not ask/request/command Agni Pravesha.

Jai SiyaRaam

lord rama was only putting mother sita into a higher pedestal,to show the world how virtuous,sincere,caring,powerful with honesty & integrity,his only wife is.Chiding Lakshmana also has a nugget of a story,as lakshmana is the seshanagam of lord vishnu & amma Mahalakshmi.

Mr. Sridhar,

This is a very good topic.

I like to give my opinions. Lord Rama lived during Treta Yuga and Lord Krishna during the end of Dwapara Yuga. During Treta Yuga there was not much distraction from Spiritualism. This could be seen in the previous Vaamana Avatar where Lord Vishnu incarnated as a pure Sanyasi. My observation is that every Avatar takes place according to the nature of the age the Earth is under. Parasuram Avatar is an Ayesha Avatar and Lord Vishnu left the mortal body of Parasuram after the mission was accomplished. Parasuram appears as a mortal in Ramayana and Mahabharatha. The other Avatars of Kurma, Hayagriva and Narasimha do not involve Lord Vishnu being born as a Human.

My observation is that Lord Vishnu takes birth as a human and lives from childhood in the Vaamana, Rama and Krishna Avatar. All the three shows a decline in sacrifice and Spiritualism. In the Vaamana Avatar, he was highly spiritual as a Bramhachari. In the next Ram Avatar he is a perfect human yet he is seperated from his wife. The next is Krishna Avatar where he is a sincere God of love. In all the avatars he establishes Dharma for the sake of the people living the path of Dharma. Lord Vishnu takes avatars depending upon the nature of the time prevailing to tackle the enemies accordingly. In case Lord Ram is born in the Dwapara Yuga, it would not be possible to accomplish the task and Lord Krishna could not accomplish the same task in Treta Yuga.

Lord Vishnu, being the Supreme being makes all the calculations necessary to save Earth from Adharma. From an astrological point of View, he takes birth accordingly to accomplish his tasks such that events finally lead him to accomplish his task in a sportive manner still undergoing the trauma and tragedies involved in life.

Last edited:
Mr. Sridhar,

This is a very good topic.

I like to give my opinions. Lord Rama lived during Treta Yuga and Lord Krishna during the end of Dwapara Yuga. During Treta Yuga there was not much distraction from Spiritualism. This could be seen in the previous Vaamana Avatar where Lord Vishnu incarnated as a pure Sanyasi. My observation is that every Avatar takes place according to the nature of the age the Earth is under. Parasuram Avatar is an Ayesha Avatar and Lord Vishnu left the mortal body of Parasuram after the mission was accomplished. Parasuram appears as a mortal in Ramayana and Mahabharatha. The other Avatars of Kurma, Hayagriva and Narasimha do not involve Lord Vishnu being born as a Human.

My observation is that Lord Vishnu takes birth as a human and lives from childhood in the Vaamana, Rama and Krishna Avatar. All the three shows a decline in sacrifice and Spiritualism. In the Vaamana Avatar, he was highly spiritual as a Bramhachari. In the next Ram Avatar he is a perfect human yet he is seperated from his wife. The next is Krishna Avatar where he is a sincere God of love. In all the avatars he establishes Dharma for the sake of the people living the path of Dharma. Lord Vishnu takes avatars depending upon the nature of the time prevailing to tackle the enemies accordingly. In case Lord Ram is born in the Dwapara Yuga, it would not be possible to accomplish the task and Lord Krishna could not accomplish the same task in Treta Yuga.

Lord Vishnu, being the Supreme being makes all the calculations necessary to save Earth from Adharma. From an astrological point of View, he takes birth accordingly to accomplish his tasks such that events finally lead him to accomplish his task in a sportive manner still undergoing the trauma and tragedies involved in life.

lord vishnu is one of the trinity of gods,from lord shiva and lord brahma.lord vishnu canot do anything without lord brahma or lord shiva.all three co-exist,in all lokas.

lord vishnu is one of the trinity of gods,from lord shiva and lord brahma.lord vishnu canot do anything without lord brahma or lord shiva.all three co-exist,in all lokas.

Very true without the grace of Lord Shiva and Lord Brahma Lord Vishnu could not accomplish His task. Lord Shiva and Lord Brahma are equally powerful.

But Lord Vishnu's duty is protection. Every God (Lord Ganesh, Lord Muruga etc) protects their devotees but Lord Vishnu is the Supreme Protector of the Universe (the Universe as a whole).

Lord Vishnu is central and major deity of the trinity, viz., Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva. Though technically these three gods are known as creator, preserver, and destroyer, Lord Vishnu is the Preserver, for all practical purpose he is deemed to be all-powerful, all knowing and all present.

sridharan

practically the trinity work in concert,NOT in any exclusive manner.One cannot survive without anyother.This fallacy shud be curbed for overall peace and harmony.lord vishnu can only sustain,what lord shiva destroyed namely tamasic aka ignorance or avidya.lord vishnu can only sustain,what lord brahma has created after the removal of avidya.lord vishnu is sustainer and that is his job,after the jobs have been completed by lord shiva and lord brahmaa.

1)Sage Valmiki wrote Ramayan when Sage Narada told him about Rama's life.
Sage Vyasa wrote MahaBharat during the period of MahaBarat.Sage Vyasa comes as a part in the Mahabharat.

2)Ramayan period is Threda uga.
Mahabharat period is Dwabhara Uga.

3)In Ramayan Period even Ravana was good in the Knowledge on Vedhas.
In Mahabharat period people,kings were cunning,kill own family members,Gamblig etc.

Both Ramayana and Mahabharata teaches us the value of renunciation; the need to forsake desire. The difference is: Ramayana teaches us: "Do not have desire for woman" Mahabharata teaches us: "Do not have desire for possessions".
V.S. Krishnan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back