• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Religion and dharma different concepts all together.

The word “dharma” has multiple meanings depending on the context in which it is used. Monier-Williams’ Sanskrit-English Dictionary lists several, including: conduct, duty, right, justice, virtue, morality, religion, religious merit, good work according to a right or rule, etc. Many other meanings have been suggested, such as law or “torah” (in the Judaic sense), “logos” (Greek), “way” (Christian) and even ‘tao” (Chinese). None of these is entirely accurate and none conveys the full force of the term in Sanskrit. Dharma has no equivalent in the Western lexicon.

Dharma has the Sanskrit root dhri, which means “that which upholds” or “that without which nothing can stand” or “that which maintains the stability and harmony of the universe.” Dharma encompasses the natural, innate behavior of things, duty, law, ethics, virtue, etc. Every entity in the cosmos has its particular dharma — from the electron, which has the dharma to move in a certain manner, to the clouds, galaxies, plants, insects, and of course, man. Man’s understanding of the dharma of inanimate things is what we now call physics.

Dharma is also often translated as “law,” but to become a law, a set of rules has to be present which must: (i) be promulgated and decreed by an authority that enjoys political sovereignty over a given territory, (ii) be obligatory, (iii) be interpreted, adjudicated and enforced by courts, and (iv) carry penalties when it is breached. No such description of dharma is found within the traditions.

The dharma-shastras did not create an enforced practice but recorded existing practices. Many traditional smritis (codified social dharma) were documenting prevailing localized customs of particular communities. An important principle was self-governance by a community from within. The smritis do not claim to prescribe an orthodox view from the pulpit, as it were, and it was not until the 19th century, under British colonial rule, that the smritis were turned into “law” enforced by the state.

The reduction of dharma to concepts such as religion and law has harmful consequences: it places the study of dharma in Western frameworks, moving it away from the authority of its own exemplars. Moreover, it creates the false impression that dharma is similar to Christian ecclesiastical law-making and the related struggles for state power.

The result of equating dharma with religion in India has been disastrous: in the name of secularism, dharma has been subjected to the same limits as Christianity in Europe. A non-religious society may still be ethical without belief in God, but an a-dharmic society loses its ethical compass and falls into corruption and decadence.

Religion is a subset of Dharma.
Dharma is the basic nature of things.
Newton's law is part of Dharma.
The cells maintaining and reproducing is also dharma.
The very nature of anything happening in this universe is dharma.

Dharma is also often translated as “law,” but to become a law, a set of rules has to be present which must: (i) be promulgated and decreed by an authority that enjoys political sovereignty over a given territory, (ii) be obligatory, (iii) be interpreted, adjudicated and enforced by courts, and (iv) carry penalties when it is breached. No such description of dharma is found within the traditions.

The dharma-shastras did not create an enforced practice but recorded existing practices. Many traditional smritis (codified social dharma) were documenting prevailing localized customs of particular communities. An important principle was self-governance by a community from within. The smritis do not claim to prescribe an orthodox view from the pulpit, as it were, and it was not until the 19th century, under British colonial rule, that the smritis were turned into “law” enforced by the state.

The reduction of dharma to concepts such as religion and law has harmful consequences: it places the study of dharma in Western frameworks, moving it away from the authority of its own exemplars. Moreover, it creates the false impression that dharma is similar to Christian ecclesiastical law-making and the related struggles for state power.

The result of equating dharma with religion in India has been disastrous: in the name of secularism, dharma has been subjected to the same limits as Christianity in Europe. A non-religious society may still be ethical without belief in God, but an a-dharmic society loses its ethical compass and falls into corruption and decadence.

I think we shouldn't look at huff post as reference ..I am here to learn from you guys not some western news magazine :)
I just love Hinduism...:)

I think we shouldn't look at huff post as reference ..I am here to learn from you guys not some western news magazine :)
I just love Hinduism...:)
For your information The Huffingtonpost, India article was written by Rajiv Malhotra. He happens to be a Hindu, from India.
The first rule of Hinduism is to accept the best concept and practice where ever they are. A diamond is a diamond even if found in a pile of dung.
From your Avatar name, it appears that your "conversion" to Hinduism or your infatuation to Hinduism is recent. Please understand your new love before judging others. Your post is in the wrong section, I have asked the moderator to move it to the appropriate section.

Last edited:
garry420ji,
In the Indian Panel code section, 420 means cheating.
Section 420 in the Indian Penal Code
deals with Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property.
I am sure you did not choose your Avatar name to suggest that. In India that connotation is common.
There is a famous Bollywood movie by the name of Sri 420.

For your information The Huffingtonpost, India article was written by Rajiv Malhotra. He happens to be a Hindu, from India.
The first rule of Hinduism is to accept the best concept and practice where ever they are. A diamond is a diamond even if found in a pile of dung.
From your Avatar name, it appears that your "conversion" to Hinduism or your infatuation to Hinduism is recent. Please understand your new love before judging others. Your post is in the wrong section, I have asked the moderator to move it to the appropriate section.
Ooo ..Rajiv Malhotra...I still remember his website named "infinity something" when i was in college i used to follow him.....
I am by birth Hindu and i still love it ..My point was just to tell that we shouldn't be following whatever comes from west blindly..we north indians are bit taboistic in these things whatever comes from west is not always gold for example here khaadi was not accepted stuff and was called out of fashion thing but when it came from west with name of lennin it was part of fashion trends and i can tell you many such examples...south Indians i have little knowledege apart from that they live very simple life and are very intelligent guys...........actually when i was in college i joined some call center for 1-2 month their they gave me alias name hence i use in very often...even now...

garry420ji,
In the Indian Panel code section, 420 means cheating.
I am sure you did not choose your Avatar name to suggest that. In India that connotation is common.
There is a famous Bollywood movie by the name of Sri 420.
Hahahaha...
I use 420 coz i saw 2-3 old and new hindi movies with 420 title...i don't remember exact name of old movie but new one was khiladi 420 and from their i took this ...

Ooo ..Rajiv Malhotra...I still remember his website named "infinity something" when i was in college i used to follow him.....
I am by birth Hindu and i still love it ..My point was just to tell that we shouldn't be following whatever comes from west blindly..we north indians are bit taboistic in these things whatever comes from west is not always gold for example here khaadi was not accepted stuff and was called out of fashion thing but when it came from west with name of lennin it was part of fashion trends and i can tell you many such examples...south Indians i have little knowledege apart from that they live very simple life and are very intelligent guys...........actually when i was in college i joined some call center for 1-2 month their they gave me alias name hence i use in very often...even now...

You sir have a very simplistic view of North and South Indians. We do not fit your molds. We are diverse and intelligent. You are selling us short. It would not hurt for you to study a little bit more before expressing opinions in a public forum.

You sir have a very simplistic view of North and South Indians. We do not fit your molds. We are diverse and intelligent. You are selling us short. It would not hurt for you to study a little bit more before expressing opinions in a public forum.
Thats why i am here to gain bit more from other guys...with limited knowledge i have I just told what I know and understand...
the more i meet people, more i will understand things, thinking and right way's.
I am also keen to learn many things about Hinduism in south which i might not have clue about...
Anyways thanks Peace :)

Religion is a subset of Dharma.
Dharma is the basic nature of things.
Newton's law is part of Dharma.
The cells maintaining and reproducing is also dharma.
The very nature of anything happening in this universe is dharma.
VERY VERY TO THE POINT RIGHT brother in truth PRASAD

TRUTH is that Was Is and WILL BE Beginning-Less -- ENDLESS

Dharma is the basic innate nature of things.

HENCE Dharma is the basic innate nature OF ALL THAT IS
Atma/Parmatma/Satchitananda/ Pure Absolute Consciousness Awareness is WHAT ONLY IS ISSNESS

Consciousness Awareness too Beginning-Less -- ENDLESS pramodkaimalatgmail

Latest ads

Back