• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Rediculing hindu religion

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Somayaji.S

JTA (JEWISH JOURNAL)

NEWS BRIEF
Idaho state lawmaker’s attack on Hinduism draws Jewish demands for apology

March 18, 2015 5:43am

WASHINGTON (JTA) — An Idaho state senator’s description of Hinduism as “a false faith with false Gods” drew calls from Jewish clergy for an apology.

Sen. Sheryl Nuxoll joined two other Republican senators in refusing to attend the daily invocation on March 3 because a Hindu chaplain, Rajan Zed, led it.

Nuxoll was quoted by The Associated Press as saying that she refused to attend because she sees the United States as a Christian nation.

“Hindu is a false faith with false gods,” she said. “I think it’s great that Hindu people can practice their religion but since we’re the Senate, we’re setting an example of what we, Idaho, believe.”
Her statement led Rabbi Daniel Fink of Boise’s Congregation Ahavatah Beth Israel to recruit a slate of local clergy to sign on to a letter he wrote calling for an apology.
“Being a public official who is expected to represent all citizens, it is highly inappropriate and insensitive for Ms. Nuxoll to unnecessarily label a major religion as ‘false,’ as there are about 3 million Hindus in U.S.A., including some in Idaho,” said the March 14 letter, organized through the state’s Interfaith Equality Coalition. It was signed by 28 clergy and a number of other people.

Also asking for an apology was Rabbi ElizaBeth Beyer of congregations in Reno, Nev. and Tahoe Vista, Calif., who has served with Zed on interfaith panels.

“If Nuxoll had a clue, she would know that Hinduism is the third largest religion of the world and it offers rich philosophical thought,” Beyer said in a statement circulated by Zed and which she confirmed to JTA.

sUBSEQUENTLY, A LOT OF OTHER RELIGIOUS ESTABLISHMENTS INCLUDING "HINDU TEMPLES ASSOCIATION OF NORTH AMERICA" HAVE "CENSURED" HER STATEMENT

THE HEADING SHOULD READ "RIDICULING HINDU RELIGION" --I REGRET THE ERROR

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! Kunjs and Biswa...you guys are crazy!LOL

Didn't you guys read what Somayaji wrote at the end of his post?

He wrote this:

THE HEADING SHOULD READ "RIDICULING HINDU RELIGION" --I REGRET THE ERROR

OMG! Kunjs and Biswa...you guys are crazy!LOL

Didn't you guys read what Somayaji wrote at the end of his post?

He wrote this:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my dear kunjuppu --I have already "REGRETTED" my Error.

I am 78 year old Man. --both eyes-- Diabetic Cataract --one operated in Chennai "Sankara Netralaya"--another in New York --even with Powerful Glasses--my Eye Sight is NOT so good-- still I have regretted.

தும்பை விட்டு வாலை பிடித்தல்

PLEASE comment on the subject--not on my spelling Errors.

P.S.=> Incidentally the Brilliant Jewish Eye Surgeon Dr.Edelstein in NYC--praises the Cataract operation done in Chennai-every time I go to see him--I know Dr.Badri personally-I have worked with him in VHS--NOTHING CAN GO WRONG UNDER Dr.BADRI'S LEADERSHIP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my dear kunjuppu --I have already "REGRETTED" my Error.

I am 78 year old Man. --both eyes-- Diabetic Cataract --one operated in Chennai "Sankara Netralaya"--another in New York --even with Powerful Glasses--my Eye Sight is NOT so good-- still I have regretted.

தும்பை விட்டு வாலை பிடித்தல்

PLEASE comment on the subject--not on my spelling Errors.

P.S.=> Incidentally the Brilliant Jewish Eye Surgeon Dr.Edelstein in NYC--praises the Cataract operation done in Chennai-every time I go to see him--I know Dr.Badri personally-I have worked with him in VHS--NOTHING CAN GO WRONG UNDER Dr.BADRI'S LEADERSHIP.

dear somaiyaji,

my sense of humour was just tickled pink. absolutely had no intention to mock or hurt anyone. hope that clarifies.

ps. many a times, when i see certain posts, i find more in it by way of absurdity or humour than what was intended. what to do? :)

dear somaiyaji, my sense of humour was just tickled pink. absolutely had no intention to mock or hurt anyone. hope that clarifies. ps. many a times, when i see certain posts, i find more in it by way of absurdity or humour than what was intended. what to do? :)
The word 'apology' , even after the original poster has clarified, is nowhere to be seen in your 'clarified' response.

Last edited:
Mr Kunjuppu, there is no necessity to be indecent towards Naina_Marbus. let us maintain certain standard. Somaiyaji is 78 and I am 80. we do may slip. let us accept and get along. yes, Somaiyaji I also noted Idaho incident. I remember Rajen Ved did recite one sanskrit verses at Fed Senate and everyone appreciated. you see there r always black-sheeps everywhere. I want to remind everyone here how EVR group rediculed various Hindu Gods. I dont like to bring them to anybody's memory at this stage. many western newspapers refer to only Islam and christianity; never Hinduism although we are also quite in number. as someone mentioned in this forum' inspite of mugal and british efforts, hinduism couldnt be thrown out of India. Hindusim has its inner strength. that is why we are still in Bharat i.e. India - srinivasan

Spelling mistake in the op is not the cause for the intentional 'tickeled humour'. It is response to someone who dares to oppose insult to Hinduism. And this is not the first time such response is aired.

none of your business sir. somaiyaji is most welcome to reply and i will deal with it.

Mr. Kunjuppu,

Relax !!

Do you recollect how you charged at me like a raging bull when Dr. Renuka had issues with my post? Even though Dr. Renuka said that the issue has been sorted out between us and she needs no assistance, you continued with your purgative post? If your memory fails, I will be only too glad to post the link for one of your **glorious posts** in the not so distant past.

Gone are the days of a few ganging up, forming a coterie and making abusive and offensive posts at the detractors. Even though the native pagan ignorant Indians do not have full fledged **enlightenment** coupons available only at USA & Canada KFC counters, e-tickets for partial enlightenment are available online at TB forum :)

Dont be **rediculous** and read the full post before getting tickled with your pink humour and making others see RED in your post. It is ANYBODY'S BUSINESS to respond to any post so long as the rules of the forum are maintained.

Last edited:
dear somaiyaji,

i had inadvertently failed to apologize for my observation and your response to it. kindly accept my unconditional apology. i only wish to reiterate that absolutely no malice or mockery was ever intended, but the cause of your pain is me, and i am remiss here.

i happen to have one of,what i believe, the greatest english language high school teacher in madras of 1950 60s, a mr. d.o.perry and thanks to him, yours truly and a whole slew of madras boys, grew up, not only appreciating english literature, but also, an uncanny knack to find humour, where none was intended.

i also happened to have a great english teacher, mr rajaiyya tagore, who did my non-detailed english at loyola college. we had dickens' pickwick papers, which as many of you know, sets the bar for top humour. mr tagore was reduced to tears, often, when on many humourous incidents, he would have the entire class of 100+ simply gaping at him. that he would have to point out that this was humour, and us, in our own retort of the same, guffaw and howl.

many times, inadvertently we do not spell per the queen's english and i am the last one to say, that mastery of english is essential. we are indians, and i am one to advocate education in the mother tongue. having said that, sometimes the very errors are indeed cause for mirth.

one example is the reference to 'sphincter aunt' by a member here, a few weeks ago. i found it funny for many reasons, having myself an aunt who was an ass****e and the meanest ever, and who was also a spinster. how i wished i had addressed her thus :) though i think, my observation was passed on by the gentle readers of this forum, as irrelevant.

the same went with dear somaiyaji's typo at the 'redicule' which conjures up so many alternative meanings, none of which close to what the honourable gentleman intended. and hence my rather catty retort.

i was not interested in the topic. had i been, i would have read the author's reasons, and would have passed on. this note is more an explanation but the contriteness at the start of this post, is absolute and unconditional, and hope you sir, somaiyaji, would consider it sufficient an expression of atonement.

i am incidentally reminded of this cartoon by sankar, which recently was in the news. i am with the dalits, who after nearly so many years, found it offensive today to be banished from NCERT text books. for no matter whatever may be the level of humour, if it hurts someone even inadvertently, it is abhorrent. this note is written in the same spirit. thank you.

ambedkar-cartoon.jpg

Last edited:
thank you sri.Sudhehwar and sri.Sarng--I do not want to blow out of proportions --Mr.Kunjuppu's comments on me..

now I want to go on record ==> a very,very,very large number of Americans (of all colors) are very "FRIENDLY" and very appreciative of Indians in General and Hindus in particular.I am here for the past 16 years--my personal experience..

this Lady Senator at Idaho and the Cop (Police Officer in Alabama) are "FREAKS"--"EXCEPTION PROVES THE RULE"

here=> City--State--Federal Government Employees are very "HELP-FULL".--a Country of "NICE PEOPLE" in many respects.

Mr. Kunjuppu,

Relax !!

Do you recollect how you charged at me like a raging bull when Dr. Renuka had issues with my post? Even though Dr. Renuka said that the issue has been sorted out between us and she needs no assistance, you continued with your purgative post? If your memory fails, I will be only too glad to post the link for one of your **glorious posts** in the not so distant past.

Gone are the days of a few ganging up, forming a coterie and making abusive and offensive posts at the detractors. Even though the native pagan ignorant Indians do not have full fledged **enlightenment** coupons available only at USA & Canada KFC counters, e-tickets for partial enlightenment are available online at TB forum :)

I did not come online the whole day yesterday and just came online now and LOL! Somehow I am always in some post or the other!LOL

Boy..am I famous/infamous!

I did not come online the whole day yesterday and just came online now and LOL! Somehow I am always in some post or the other!LOL

Boy..am I famous/infamous!

You are famous, and even stalwarts pay their homage to you. :hail:

Mr. Kunjuppu,

Relax !!

Dont be **rediculous** and read the full post before getting tickled with your pink humour and making others see RED in your post. It is ANYBODY'S BUSINESS to respond to any post so long as the rules of the forum are maintained.

Thank you sir, for a good samaritan service. Actually, I had been spending some time trying to collect enough ammunition from the previous postings of Kunjuppu to fire back, for similar forked-tongue statements, but you just outsmarted me with your own personal encounter.

it is high item people understand how to conduct in public. it is not good to be harsh. after all, we are all wish to be hood to each other. be polite and gentle; that shud be the mantra. I dont think we all have seen each other; throwing mud on anybody is not good - srinivasan

as a Hindu I dont want to be a fundamentalist like muslims but I feel certainly hurt when someone unnecessarily humiliate hindus. an incident: one of my friends, ofcourse he is also a Hindu, asked me what hindusim did to him. I reacted calmly but forcefully saying before asking that question, I told him, what he has done to hindusim. He kept quite. problem is some of us feel proud to critisize ourselves. sometime back I mentioned in this forum about a debate between Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and one Dr Abdul (I forgot his name) when Sri Sri Ravi Shankar fought vehimently in the debate. the audiance were full of muslims; yet he spoke very well defending various hindus' issues. because of disunity among hindus only, our country invaded number of times and occupied - srinivasan

it is high item people understand how to conduct in public. it is not good to be harsh. after all, we are all wish to be hood to each other. be polite and gentle; that shud be the mantra. I dont think we all have seen each other; throwing mud on anybody is not good - srinivasan

dear sir,

I feel each one of us is different..some of us are just very direct thats all.

I feel even if we want to make another person swallow poison its best to be so diplomatic that they themselves will swallow the poison on their own thinking its nectar.

as a Hindu I dont want to be a fundamentalist like muslims but I feel certainly hurt when someone unnecessarily humiliate hindus. an incident: one of my friends, ofcourse he is also a Hindu, asked me what hindusim did to him. I reacted calmly but forcefully saying before asking that question, I told him, what he has done to hindusim. He kept quite. problem is some of us feel proud to critisize ourselves. sometime back I mentioned in this forum about a debate between Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and one Dr Abdul (I forgot his name) when Sri Sri Ravi Shankar fought vehimently in the debate. the audiance were full of muslims; yet he spoke very well defending various hindus' issues. because of disunity among hindus only, our country invaded number of times and occupied - srinivasan

I follow a simple rule..no discussing Hinduism with a Non Hindu.

Simple..who cares what they think and I am not here to change anyone's perception about Hinduism becos we Hindus ourselves most of the while know nuts about our own religion!LOL

Hinduism is a bright glowing sun.Just because somebody talks low of this great religion, not a bit of its glory is going to be lost.This great religion has seen mighty onslaught from the invaders of the country and survived.We should care less for any nasty comments from the people who are either ignorant or arrogant.

dear sir,

I feel each one of us is different..some of us are just very direct thats all.

I feel even if we want to make another person swallow poison its best to be so diplomatic that they themselves will swallow the poison on their own thinking its nectar.
wonderful. it is more than deplomatic. however it is very nice reaction - srinivasan

I follow a simple rule..no discussing Hinduism with a Non Hindu.

Simple..who cares what they think and I am not here to change anyone's perception about Hinduism becos we Hindus ourselves most of the while know nuts about our own religion!LOL
I agree Renuka Ji. but y know I meet lots of different religious people. in fact in the city where I live in California there is one library where there is one place and everyone can go and speak on any subject. I spoke number of times on relion, social evils etc etc but everyone was polite and courtesious. I also agree most of us know 'nuts' only about our religion. but I used to escape number of times. the advantage is nobody put pressure on anybody. politeness is the law. I discussed many Indian issues with Pakistanies also. they also were very polite. Good number of Pakistanies outside Pakistan understand they are wrong. even to our Laughter Club, people from Pakistan, Afganisthan and Iran do come and participate; as you know we do some hindu prayer at the beginning and at that time, as we request, they also prayer similar to the meaning of our prayer - srinivasan

I agree Renuka Ji. but y know I meet lots of different religious people. in fact in the city where I live in California there is one library where there is one place and everyone can go and speak on any subject. I spoke number of times on relion, social evils etc etc but everyone was polite and courtesious. I also agree most of us know 'nuts' only about our religion. but I used to escape number of times. the advantage is nobody put pressure on anybody. politeness is the law. I discussed many Indian issues with Pakistanies also. they also were very polite. Good number of Pakistanies outside Pakistan understand they are wrong. even to our Laughter Club, people from Pakistan, Afganisthan and Iran do come and participate; as you know we do some hindu prayer at the beginning and at that time, as we request, they also prayer similar to the meaning of our prayer - srinivasan

Yes sir...I can understand.

Even before many years ago people of other religions have also asked me questions but these days I do not answer and change the topic right away.

Religion is one topic I only enjoy talking to a person whom I know has no hidden agenda and to a great extent many Hindus themselves try to modify Hinduism to make it sound acceptable to people of other religion.

Deep down inside most Hindus do not really know to answer any question cos very few take the trouble to get to know religion in the true sense..but the more we get to know religion..the more we realize there is nothing we can actually talk about in the real sense..so finally one has to remain silent.

Its not that Hinduism has no answers..its just that there is just no one question that has just one answer.

Its multidimensional and this at times can not be entirely grasped by people of other religion cos their mind is used to just a fixed way of Q and A which is Draconian and based on either heaven or hell in approach.

So I do not usually engage in conversations becos technically its a waste of time and energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back