• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Query on Tharpanam outside India and Sastras

Hello,
I have a few questions on Tharpanam and what our Sastras say. As per our Abhivadayae, we follow "Drahyanana Sutra and Sama Sakha" , so when it comes to following Tharpanam rituals are we supposed to consult the Grihya sutra that we follow or the generic DharmaSastras ?

A follow up question is, what does our Sastras (and which ones) say about performing Ammavasa, Maasa Pirapu Tharpanam. yearly Shardham ritual outside of Bharat (India) land.

Thank you !

First we need to understand. Tharpanam is to remember and thank our ancestors. This is important to avoid cross cousin marriages propagating genetic defects and secondly make us thankful to God and our ancestors for the blessings and change our bad habits towards our society as a Brahmin. That is, Darpana is a penance. Now, once you have left your village with rivers and Family Gods, the best thing would be to offer 10 handful of water remembering as many ancestors as you can. First invite them and at the end, tell them to go back to their abode (Yoni). One Vadiyar told me that he will substitute the names of the local revers asking them assume the Indian names. This way, he said people or happy. But he said he was forced to do for survival reasons. Now, I met two Sanyasis one – Risikesh and another in Banaras a few years back. The first man saw me after I had my bath in Ganges and called me and said many thing about me and asked me was he right. Remember he spoke in Hindi and I knew it. Then he told me, that what I have described above. The same was confirmed by the Banaras sanyasi too. Both said that the humble idea is the root and not bound by historical years rituals like aupanasa, sandhiya vandanam, finding guest sharing food with them etc. I am at peace now. So, please don't worry and both in the morning and in the night before you sleep remember them and ask their blessings. Rituals for those who do not live most of the time as a Brahmin in their daily life. I am not an authority, but fortunate to be in contact with highly educated and honest scholars.

As per my knowledge(reading elsewhere) பாரத வர்ஷே பரத கண்டே means the entire world and so wherever we are it should be same. It may be proved with so many avtars of Vishnu while in varaha he restored the entire world from ocean. Also even narasimha avtar too happened near South America.

Other scholars may highlight on this.

First we need to understand. Tharpanam is to remember and thank our ancestors. This is important to avoid cross cousin marriages propagating genetic defects and secondly make us thankful to God and our ancestors for the blessings and change our bad habits towards our society as a Brahmin. That is, Darpana is a penance. Now, once you have left your village with rivers and Family Gods, the best thing would be to offer 10 handful of water remembering as many ancestors as you can. First invite them and at the end, tell them to go back to their abode (Yoni). One Vadiyar told me that he will substitute the names of the local revers asking them assume the Indian names. This way, he said people or happy. But he said he was forced to do for survival reasons. Now, I met two Sanyasis one – Risikesh and another in Banaras a few years back. The first man saw me after I had my bath in Ganges and called me and said many thing about me and asked me was he right. Remember he spoke in Hindi and I knew it. Then he told me, that what I have described above. The same was confirmed by the Banaras sanyasi too. Both said that the humble idea is the root and not bound by historical years rituals like aupanasa, sandhiya vandanam, finding guest sharing food with them etc. I am at peace now. So, please don't worry and both in the morning and in the night before you sleep remember them and ask their blessings. Rituals for those who do not live most of the time as a Brahmin in their daily life. I am not an authority, but fortunate to be in contact with highly educated and honest scholars.
Thank you. I have always felt our way of life is more ritualistic rather than belief. But it's an interesting viewpoint.

As per my knowledge(reading elsewhere) பாரத வர்ஷே பரத கண்டே means the entire world and so wherever we are it should be same. It may be proved with so many avtars of Vishnu while in varaha he restored the entire world from ocean. Also even narasimha avtar too happened near South America.

Other scholars may highlight on this.
Thanks, its the first time I'm hearing about the American connection to a Vishnu avatar.

America Khande,... the river name... etc., shoudl be OK. All rivers are considerd as Mothers. Also there will be one day delay - USA is in the West of India and about 12 hours difference may be observed. So, in the USA it will be still Amavasya subhachidav when it will be th enext day in India. It is not the ritual per se is important but the dedication and remembering the purpose of it. Thewhole universe is a GOD- sarvam brahma mayam ..
If one has faith in our rituals do them without worrying about right and wrong. If human parent can tolerate a child's actions, so will be GOD too.
We do not know the original reasonings and the actual semantics (meaning )of the rituals and were passed on through chanting and repeating until very late when written form evolved. Thus, all sorts of modifications might have taken place. As an example in Kuron, they found a 1471 manuscript in Iraq library , where the atuhor has noted on the margin that Friday Namas has not be instituted in original Koran , it is an option., but if some one wants to do it, it is ok. Since millions of Korans had been printed, this error has never been corrected. Thus Muslims still insists on Froiday Namas. No harm done, but the same mistakes have taken place in all historical documents. Thus, having faith is diferent from following dogma and blindly all the mistakes our ancestors have committed.

From a page of the book that is posted in this forum.
details.JPG

There is simple solution I have adopted. Every morning after taking a bath(unless I am sick), a light lamp praying let my ignorant darkness be removed and let the knowledge prevail From darkness, lead us to light; ( तमसो मा ज्योतिर् गमय ।-Tamasoma Jyotirgamaya,)- this slowly going on. I invoke and recall the name (with Gotra when possible) all the Atma and tell them I am offering this water (Paathyam) ten times and tell them to go back to their own space. While none had complained, I remember them and show them my gratitude. Thus, I don’t do this only on certain days, rather it is an ongoing thing. I add recently departed souls(without worrying about their caste, religion etc.,as their Atman is pure). I am happy so far. This way, no one can abuse Vadiyars or fear of sin and your brain also get exercise of recalling fifty or so names and their faces too. No mantra is involved to be afraid of it being correct, whether to sat facing East or South.

Latest ads

Back