• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Quality of engineers very sub-standard in India: E Sreedharan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also agree. Had the older generation been only the best don't think the developments which we see to day could ever happen. However that doesn't mean that oldies should be written off. There many things where their opinion and advises worth in gold. May be that is what Vaagmi ji meant to say.

Agreed ..Oldies do have some wisdom too but its usually clouded with a high degree of delusion of grandeur.

They should be open minded to acknowledge the present generation too has its rightful place in the world.

That way only the Caveman can claim they were the best!LOL

Senior citizens should have the maturity to not criticize and write mumbo jumbo in sanskrit to bolster their point of view.

It is like pope sermonising in latin to gullible listeners in rome.

Younger generation gets better exposure these days due to digital world and are more mature and knowledgeable than seniors.

In organisations , the younger lot try to keep away from the the experienced types and do what is technically correct.

Most seniors live off the knowledge of youngsters.

Most academic seniors [prof. etc] add their name to research publications of research scholars.

In offices, there is a string of added names of superiors to any work put out at conferences or seminars.

thats why ,most young get disillusioned with older generation.

even for any wrong doing in offices, the blame is pinned on some low level employee mostly.

Dear Krish ji,

Oldies these days do not want to listen for their own good.

A few days ago my father did a very dangerous thing by engaging the wrong car gear of the automatic car and then decided to open the bonnet.

He did not engage it in parking gear as one should..cos an automatic car can lunge forward on its own if wrong gear is engaged if its accidentally slips slot.

Then I told my dad to stop and not to stand in front of car cos the car is engaged on the wrong gear...he could die if car gear shifts slot accidentally...he was not listening...so I raised my voice to stop him.

He got real angry with me for raising my voice..I said if I did not raise my voice to stop you..one wrong move you would have gone to Yama Loka!

He said "see how you talk"!LOL

I am also equally guilty as far as driving is concerned.

I started driving without learning driving properly from a driving school.

I was messy in reversing the car.

I knocked off my young son while doing that.

Luckily no major damage done

My son still shows that scar to his wife for her sympathy

Mr V. Gane, You have to BELL ? the C.A T.Please. think seriously & leisurely / Unnal Mudium take in your active friends & work slowly/ plan on Paper / get inputs/ ideas from all active Jr, and Senior / veterans ( take in only who say Yes" e we can try ?
Let it be a % Year Plan ,. Keep it Alive . Do not Close I am not a lucky guy. I can sincerely Pray to lord RAMA & Lord SRINIVASA from home.
A. Srinivasan ( Rishikesan )

Dear Rishi Sir,

In terms of capability, I believe in myself...I can do it...But how about my capacity at this stage(when I am working)...It looks herculean...Thanks for your trust & confidence in my worth!!

Senior citizens should have the maturity to not criticize and write mumbo jumbo in sanskrit to bolster their point of view. It is like pope sermonising in latin to gullible listeners in rome.

It is just sanskrit and not Afrikaans. And those who know sanskrit understand it and those who do not know that language read the english part of the post and are happy. Anything in sanskrit need not be mumbo jumbo. To call it that is childishness. When the "gullible sheeps" that assemble and listen to Pope do not have a complaint why should you have? Did they compalin to you?

Younger generation gets better exposure these days due to digital world and are more mature and knowledgeable than seniors.

It is your private opinion. Getting typsy after a few pegs and going to bed with some x, y or Z are all perhaps exposures which makes them mature and knowledgeable. LOL. Just quoted your words.

In organisations , the younger lot try to keep away from the the experienced types and do what is technically correct. Most seniors live off the knowledge of youngsters. Most academic seniors [prof. etc] add their name to research publications of research scholars. In offices, there is a string of added names of superiors to any work put out at conferences or seminars. thats why ,most young get disillusioned with older generation. even for any wrong doing in offices, the blame is pinned on some low level employee mostly.

Badri, the popular writer and commentator wrote this in a news paper:

When I interviewed this gentleman, he kept saying after each of my question, "that is a good question" as if he was appreciating me for my questioning abilities. When I asked him What do you know about our Company, he replied "I know you are in Nungambakkam" and looked for the next question from me.

This is the quality of the stuff our universities are sending out these days from their assembly lines. I have personal experience with these youngsters as I have interviewed them. Their knowledge level is just miserable.

There are also some flashes of brilliance but they are not many.

Dear krishji, you can live in your own world of make believe. If these youngsters get jobs it is not because of their knowledge levels, it is just that the technology has improved so much that it requires just semi skilled labour to carry on the tasks.

When I was interviewing a young engineer for an IT job, I asked the question " Tell me in just ten minutes how the AC machine in this room makes the room cool. I am a layman". He fiddled and shifted in his seat and mumbled something and said ten minutes will not be sufficient. He wasted 5 minutes already on this. I gave him 15 minutes and yet he could not gather himself. Ultimately he said sorry and looking at his discomfiture I moved to the next question.

Next came a girl. I asked her the same question. She took a good 10 seconds to size up the situation and organize her thoughts. Then she answered the question well. She spoke about the Joule Thompson Effect and adiabatic expansion through an orifice in five sentences. Then moved over to the compressor, the coolant gas, the pinch/throttle valve, condenser and blower and explained the AC well all within the time given. It was a treat to watch her present her ideas. I selected her and was also sad. Sad because I knew she won't stay in that job. The IT job did not have scope for excitement for that kind of a brain. She left in six months.

I am sure you would agree that all this is not mumbo jumbo because you understand technology and English. LOL.

...I selected her and was also sad. Sad because I knew she won't stay in that job. The IT job did not have scope for excitement for that kind of a brain. She left in six months.

Wouldnt you agree then that it was not a correct fitment for the job? Knowing that a candidate would leave, and then continuing the selection is a waste of resource and money for the company.

I am not blaming your decision, but just pointing out a different perspective...

Wouldnt you agree then that it was not a correct fitment for the job? Knowing that a candidate would leave, and then continuing the selection is a waste of resource and money for the company.

I am not blaming your decision, but just pointing out a different perspective...

It is my company and my decision. I did not have to explain. My decision was sound and had a reason.

I started this thread to talk about the overall deteoriation of quality of Engineers ( as specifically expressed by Sreedharan ) and this has got nothing to do with Older people always complaining about the Younger people which happens in every generation and I am aware of it . Let us not generalise this and push this issue under the carpet . The lack of quality in BE Grads is a real one and the reasons are many - mushrooming hundreds of Enginnering Collages all over India ( most of them lack proper faculty , proper infrastructure and they recurit those who pay money ) . There are few good institutions among these but it is a in a minority and unless there is quality control in these engineering collages we are only going to produce more and more substandrad Grads who will not be employbale and except Big companies who can afford to provide proper training , no one will be willing to invest in training these sub standard guys and make them market efficioent . That is the job of the collage which they are failing to do and that is a reality and let us discuss how to address this reality and not just push it under the carpet saying all old people make such complaints . But let me make it clear that there is no shortage of talent in these guys and what is needed is that they must be guided properly and taught how to solve problems in the collage itself and need more practical exposure . No doubt they cant learn everything and need to have industry experience which they will get in due course . What is expected is that they must at least have the basics right which is unfortunatly missing in majority and that is the key point . Not only Sreedharan but many Industry Experts have talked about this issue .

I started this thread to talk about the overall deteoriation of quality of Engineers ( as specifically expressed by Sreedharan ) and this has got nothing to do with Older people always complaining about the Younger people which happens in every generation and I am aware of it . Let us not generalise this and push this issue under the carpet . The lack of quality in BE Grads is a real one and the reasons are many - mushrooming hundreds of Enginnering Collages all over India ( most of them lack proper faculty , proper infrastructure and they recurit those who pay money ) . There are few good institutions among these but it is a in a minority and unless there is quality control in these engineering collages we are only going to produce more and more substandrad Grads who will not be employbale and except Big companies who can afford to provide proper training , no one will be willing to invest in training these sub standard guys and make them market efficioent . That is the job of the collage which they are failing to do and that is a reality and let us discuss how to address this reality and not just push it under the carpet saying all old people make such complaints . But let me make it clear that there is no shortage of talent in these guys and what is needed is that they must be guided properly and taught how to solve problems in the collage itself and need more practical exposure . No doubt they cant learn everything and need to have industry experience which they will get in due course . What is expected is that they must at least have the basics right which is unfortunatly missing in majority and that is the key point . Not only Sreedharan but many Industry Experts have talked about this issue .

One reason is already been mentioned in post no. #3 by me. Another major reason could be brain drain. Out of quality engineers or the cream of 29%, a major portion do not work in India and always opt for positions outside India for economic and other reasons.. That makes the quality available in India further inferior.

One reason is already been mentioned in post no. #3 by me. Another major reason could be brain drain. Out of quality engineers or the cream of 29%, a major portion do not work in India and always opt for positions outside India for economic and other reasons.. That makes the quality available in India further inferior.

The Brain drain has been happening for many decades and we cant really prevent that . The real issue is how to improve the quality of teaching which is really horrible in many of the Private Engineering Collages . Just pass out guys come back as teachers . One solution I feel is that now with widespread internet connectivity that is likely to improve further with 4G network , there must be made free online teaching of the Enginnering Courses by the best faculty ( in English and regional languages ) available to the Engineering graduates . Of course not everything can be taught online but many of the fundamentals can be taught online and if students have access to these high quality teaching from the best Professors then it can help them not only grasp the basics but also create good interest in the subject and they will really like to go deeper in to the subject and learn a lot and be more productive . No doubt already many people are uploading their youtube videos on the net for various Engineering topics but if this can be done in a more focussed and larger scale it will address at least the issue of quality of the teaching . Rest we hope will fall inplace .
This is one soultion from my end . Others can also share how to address this problem .

hi

now a days....education is good business....nice investment too....just example...SEE THE LATEST NEWS ABOUT SRM UNIVERSITY...

money making and tax free benefits;;;;MORE QUANITY THAN QUALITY OF STUDENTS...another reason....THANKS TO

CASTE QUOTA/POLITICAL QUOTA TOO...so degradtion of education is going to happen...NO DOUBT ABOUT IT...

I have been teaching for the last 43 years and I feel that I am a part of the problem you are all discussing so eloquently.

Not as a challenge, but to appreciate how learning a new thing (and applying it) is hard (may be easy for some/many of you), Please try to problem 10 here
https://blockly-games.appspot.com/maze?lang=en&level=10&skin=0

To understand the process you may want to polish off the first 9 starting from here
https://blockly-games.appspot.com/maze?lang=en&level=1&skin=0

It takes time for the ideas to sink in - It needs a lot of reflection - I request that please do not blame the students (or/and the teachers) - (usually some 30% get immediately and 70% struggle and absorb slowly) - Unless one struggles, how could he/she learn. If they fail 10 interviews, they will succeed in the 11th attempt.

Every one of them is doing what is humanely possible in his/her limited extent.

It takes time for the ideas to sink in - It needs a lot of reflection - I request that please do not blame the students (or/and the teachers) - (usually some 30% get immediately and 70% struggle and absorb slowly) - Unless one struggles, how could he/she learn. If they fail 10 interviews, they will succeed in the 11th attempt.

Mr.Moortht the intention is not to just dump the blame on students or teachers but to address the problem which is real and one solution was the one I gave in my post above to handle the problem of lack of proper faculty in many collages . That problem is very real and needs to be addressed and not pushed away .I am not talking about those collages which has faculty and are doing their best . I am talking about those collages ( which are in Majority ) and which do not have proper faculty for many subjects and students somehow pass the exams .

Education in any field is worse. There is no quality education. Money is the main criteria for everybody. They strive to attain the money by spoiling others. Education is prone to this. No good doctors, engineers and other professionals and no good citizen at all. Vitamin M needed by all. Kevalamada sami----.

I have been teaching for the last 43 years and I feel that I am a part of the problem you are all discussing so eloquently.

Not as a challenge, but to appreciate how learning a new thing (and applying it) is hard (may be easy for some/many of you), Please try to problem 10 here
https://blockly-games.appspot.com/maze?lang=en&level=10&skin=0

To understand the process you may want to polish off the first 9 starting from here
https://blockly-games.appspot.com/maze?lang=en&level=1&skin=0

Every one of them is doing what is humanely possible in his/her limited extent.

nice block app... tried nested if after a long time and managed it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back