• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Quality of engineers very sub-standard in India: E Sreedharan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishna100

[h=1]Quality of engineers very sub-standard in India: E Sreedharan[/h] [h=2]'Metro man' E Sreedharan today rued that engineering institutes in the country are producing engineers of "very sub-standard" quality while underlining the paradox wherein IITians are heading to foreign countries for higher studies or better employment.[/h]
http://www.financialexpress.com/ind...ry-sub-standard-in-india-e-sreedharan/364521/

Metro man’ E Sreedharan today rued that engineering institutes in the country are producing engineers of “very sub-standard” quality while underlining the paradox wherein IITians are heading to foreign countries for higher studies or better employment.

Addressing a gathering here, Sreedharan appealed to the engineers to get a “different orientation, standard and mission for handling various infrastructure projects for which Prime Minister Narendra Modi has set a target of (Rs) 5 trillion.”
“In our country, engineers are not able to come up very fast. We (engineers) are not taking enough efforts to keep ourselves up-to-date. Engineering colleges or institutes that we have in the country, according to me, are producing very sub-standard quality of engineers,” said Sreedharan, a Padma Vibhusan awardee credited for successfully steering challenging projects like Konkan rail and Delhi Metro.

He was speaking at U N Mahida memorial lecture on the topic of “professional ethics and role of engineers,” organised by the state chapter of the Institution of Engineers (India).
E Sreedharan referred to a study conducted by a magazine which surveyed some 300 engineering colleges to conclude that only 29 per cent engineers are employable, while 30 per cent can be made employable after further studies, whereas 48 per cent are simply not employable.

“This is the standard of education that we are getting in this country. Is that enough? In engineering profession, knowledge is the most important thing. You will have to be expert. Knowledge has to be practical-oriented,” he said.
Highlighting the paradox, Sreedharan said while most engineering colleges are producing sub-standard graduates, the “best engineers” or those coming out of the IITs and NITs are leaving the country for better opportunities abroad.

“What I find is that, in this country, the best engineers or those coming out of IITs and NITs straightaway make a beeline to foreign countries for higher studies or better employment. Many even join IT or management degree,” the retired Indian Engineering Service officer said.
He also expressed doubt if engineers showed any obligation by completing works on time and within estimated cost.
“The country needs very learned engineers. Prime Minister declared that he has set a target of Rs 5 trillion for infrastructure projects. If these projects are to be handled, the team of engineers in the country will have to have a different orientation and standard with a different mission,” he added.
Sreedharan stressed the need for engineers to work with “a sense of social obligation, commitment and accountability towards societies.”
“As engineers, we are very fortunate, we got good education, good job. We must realise that what we are today is because of society and we have commitment and obligation to pay back to the society for what we have received from it,” Sreedharan said.
He also attributed the success of the two projects (Konkan Railway and Delhi Metro) that he had headed to a high standard work ethics and values.
“The success of these projects was mainly possible because of the unique work culture in these two organisations. And the cardinal ethos of the culture are just four: integrity, punctuality, professional competence and a commitment to society,” he said.

For meritorius engineers to work in india pay them well .Treat engineering services equal to IAS and some may opt to stay back in india .

most drift out of india or opt for IT or MBA from top schools.

This is what happens if you make education as a business. To produce quality engineers, quality tutors are also required. With all our systems of reservations and other interests of political mileage, it is almost next to impossible. The ones who are qualified (the 29%) are also become so because of their own efforts. Not only engineering, the quality of graduates in other fields are also on deterioration.

This is for Mr Praveen our leader of this unique Forum. I have been thinking, whenever I contribute for any subject matter--- I have been stressing & appealing to all Veterans (Krish-44/ Dr. Renuka/Prasad1/ Tks/Vaagmi/ Janaki jambunathan /Brahmanyam/ V. Bala / & recent entrants like Athimber /Ganesh 65 /Pr subramaniam /Gnanasunyam & all :---
All these members should think of uniting all active members who have settled in India / U.S / U.K. etc with the sole purpose of proving possible higher education to the up-coming students in India, keeping in mind a GOAL as to how to ensure that all Brahmin students are given chances to become Engineers ,in these days of mediocracy & unemployability reported every year during this part of the year.
Though I think , only very small number of brahmin students may have this predicament . I insist that all of you & mainly Mr Praveen should think of Opening Engg. Colleges at suitable places in Tamil- nadu.,say in the next 2/3 years, by forming a group of Brahmins who would be interested in helping the T.Bs by way of Big donations , pool the same & Plan to open the First Engg,. College in T. N.If handful of well settled T.Bs in this world initiate this--- then I am sure it will flourish. thus we can erase the slogan " Brahmins are not United ? "
We can be proud like any other caste that we also get united for a noble cause of uplifting our own society ?
I wish that all the Members would respond Positively & Talk to Mr Praveen to nominate some of You Veterans & others would fall in line & provide all support/ & vow not to show Negative attitude at all . May God ;s will prevail for this August proposal & with His Blessings, we can chant "OHM/ Namo Narayanaya "

Most sincerely,
A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan )

hi
becoz of private engineering colleges and caste based quota system are the main reason.....the failure of this education system...

money making schools/colleges are also reason.....any way ALL THANKS AND CREDIT GOES TO GOVT FOR THIS KIND OF

FAILURES....

There is no shortage of talent in India but the talents must be nicely nurtured in these Educational Institutions which is unfortunately not happening much .

All old generation engineers lament about the next generation engineers.

Engineers require experience to become good.

Engineering is a way of life.

Some academic inputs ,engineering students can get in colleges.

But practical exposure alone can make them good.

It is fashionable to criticize the youngsters.

Seniors lack self perception.

They do not realise how rotten they were when they passed out.

The problem is that in the past only few Engineering Collages were there and only selected few opted for the same and it was possible to maintain some amount of quality control but now Hundreds of Engineering Collages have come about producing lakhs of BE Grads and it is now a very big task bringing in the necessary quality control .

Rishi Sir,

TB's are not facing major problem in getting admission in Engg...There are a couple of Brahmin controlled also..Also colleges like SRM, SSN etc are not anti Brahmin..Issue is in Medical ...We should pool atleast Rs 30,000 per family..Even if 1 lac families contribute we will collect 300 crores which is the minimum required for starting a Medical college..Who will bell the cat??

Last edited:
An ideal education policy for India should be built on these modern lines:

1. Education should be fully under the control of Central Government and directed by Central Government.

2. Education should involve study of just two languages in addition to the respective mother tongue in states.

3. Medium of study for Science and technology subjects should be English only. There is nothing shameful about this.

4. The Central Govt. should be the final authority for determining the syllabus for the various levels of proficiency and should conduct examinations all over India to test and certify candidates who appear for the examinations. There will be examinations only at two stages at School level -- 5th and 10th classes. After passing the 10th class all india examination, the student will have options to take a degree or diploma course and will have to appear for - again all India examination-every year untill he clears the diploma or degree. This will help in the following way:

--The standard will become uniform across the country.

--There will be free movement of students from one geographic location to another without being constrained about admission in college, school etc.,

--This will free the education from the tyranny of certification and open up real knowledge acquisition as the aim of education.

--Student will have the freedom to choose any teacher for a subject and he may go to different teachers for different subjects. He has to just appear and pass the certificate examination after obtaining sufficient knowledge in the subject chosen. His freedom to choose a subject in which he is good helps him clear that subject quickly while clearing the subject in which he is weak later. This would be like the different Ashrams in the old days run by Rishis who were great teachers. Students in search of knowledge used to go these ashrams to study under the guidance of the concerned Acharya.

--The Govt. should take over the buildings of the present schools and colleges and run common science laboratories there so that the students can pay and train there.

--The Government would be responsible for only determining the levels of syllabi and conducting exams every year periodically and for certifying after due evaluation of answer papers. The Govt. would also be responsible for running the science laboratories for doing practicals.

--Thus education will become widespread in the real sense. a teacher who is good in a subject may conduct classes for just 10 students in his small "Ashram" and prepare them for the certification exams in a particular subject. Or a group of teachers can join together and run classes for a larger number of students in various subjects in a common place. There will be no university, there will be no university grants commission, there will be no student unions, there will be no politics in the campus, there will be no reservations as dalits can run their own "Ashrams" and compete with the other Ashrams in giving quality education. Or a dalit can join any Ashram depending on his interest without being a drag on the pace of other students.

To say it in one word, education will become free from the tyranny of politics of the day. It will be fully dependent on individual enterprise and will not look to Government initiative or largesse or prop.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Any thoughts on this?

Dear Vagmiji

You have listed some very excellent points but the biggest problem is "Intense Commercialization of Education " and most of these people running these commercial enterprises are also Politicians and they will not do anything that will disturb their commerce . Lot of resorms can be made ( on the lines suggested by you ) but for that the "commerce" aspect of edcuation has to be removed and I do not know whether that is possible at this stage as the Govrenment has wshed its hands and allowed the crooks to run these commercial entreprises .

This is for Mr Praveen our leader of this unique Forum. I have been thinking, whenever I contribute for any subject matter--- I have been stressing & appealing to all Veterans (Krish-44/ Dr. Renuka/Prasad1/ Tks/Vaagmi/ Janaki jambunathan /Brahmanyam/ V. Bala / & recent entrants like Athimber /Ganesh 65 /Pr subramaniam /Gnanasunyam & all :---
All these members should think of uniting all active members who have settled in India / U.S / U.K. etc with the sole purpose of proving possible higher education to the up-coming students in India, keeping in mind a GOAL as to how to ensure that all Brahmin students are given chances to become Engineers ,in these days of mediocracy & unemployability reported every year during this part of the year.
Though I think , only very small number of brahmin students may have this predicament . I insist that all of you & mainly Mr Praveen should think of Opening Engg. Colleges at suitable places in Tamil- nadu.,say in the next 2/3 years, by forming a group of Brahmins who would be interested in helping the T.Bs by way of Big donations , pool the same & Plan to open the First Engg,. College in T. N.If handful of well settled T.Bs in this world initiate this--- then I am sure it will flourish. thus we can erase the slogan " Brahmins are not United ? "
We can be proud like any other caste that we also get united for a noble cause of uplifting our own society ?
I wish that all the Members would respond Positively & Talk to Mr Praveen to nominate some of You Veterans & others would fall in line & provide all support/ & vow not to show Negative attitude at all . May God ;s will prevail for this August proposal & with His Blessings, we can chant "OHM/ Namo Narayanaya "

Most sincerely,
A.Srinivasan ( Rishikesan )

Dear Rishikesan Sir,

What you have written is very heartening to read. But some how I find it a dream too good to be true. Let me explain. First and foremost reason will be our unity. You know we TBs ( including myself) are no good donors. We may be capable of making some thousands of rupees as donation and not more than that. Secondly our education system is so riddled with many many suppressing policies like reservations etc, an engineering college exclusively for TBs will never going to happen in India and in TN is something next to impossible. At present the entire higher education system is controlled by big sharks. I don't think we would be able to give them a tough fight ( please don't take it as a negative statement - it is quite true - quite practical as per current scenario in our country) I agree that there are certain exceptions like Shastra University (again it is only managedby TBs but not exclusively for TBs) etc. But they were established quite long back before situations become so worse.

What is practical according to me is in case we are really going to do something, we can identify the beneficiaries among our children, give them special coaching and training so as to enable them to compete and compete hard with their contemporaries and secure top positions.

Last edited:
The private or individual enterprise that Vaagmi is talking about is exactly how atleast school education thrived in India. I.e. until the previous UPA govt which cleverly brought in RTE to crush the education system in India. The clueless BJP still follows faithfully the scheming laws laid out by UPA, Sigh..

The only place where you can get good education anymore will be missionary schools free from govt interference. All hail Hallelujah!

Dear Rishikesan Sir,

What you have written is very heartening to read. But some how I find it a dream too good to be true. Let me explain. First and foremost reason will be our unity. You know we TBs ( including myself) are no good donors. We may be capable of making some thousands of rupees as donation and not more than that. Secondly our education system is so riddled with many many suppressing policies like reservations etc, an engineering college exclusively for TBs will never going to happen in India and in TN is something next to impossible. At present the entire higher education system is controlled by big sharks. I don't think we would be able to give them a tough fight ( please don't take it as a negative statement - it is quite true - quite practical as per current scenario in our country) I agree that there are certain exceptions like Shastra University (again it is only managedby TBs but not exclusively for TBs) etc. But they were established quite long back before situations become so worse.

What is practical according to me is in case we are really going to do something, we can identify the beneficiaries among our children, give them special coaching and training so as to enable them to compete and compete hard with their contemporaries and secure top positions.
I like sastra for one reason.

I get excellent professional brahmin girls suitable for marriage alliance for boys in my extended family.lol

There is a dearth of career advisory professionals who can guide the people according to their attitude, aptitude and find out whether really suited for the profession instead of academic sake or for earning or for getting a job. This will make them realize there are a lot of avenues open which are more remunerative than Engineering and also make them choosing a great and better career than Engineering or Medical. Most of the people are not aware of this. That is one of the reasons and the lack of awareness that led to the mushrooming of engineering colleges. This, in turn, led to the deterioration in quality engineers who choose a career only for money sake or for prestigious sake.

Money and prestige are important.

Who cares for professions other than civil services, doctors , engineers or chartered accountants

Those who try anything else are regarded as unworthy individuals.

So most prefer to play safe and ignore other career options.

Money and prestige are important.

Who cares for professions other than civil services, doctors , engineers or chartered accountants

Those who try anything else are regarded as unworthy individuals.

So most prefer to play safe and ignore other career options.

Legal is also another good profession..If you are well versed & intelligent advocate with good communication skills you will be a top earning lawyer

I agree with the reply given in # 9. so We, Tamil brahmins should plan for Medical line, because it would be most important area to work for. In U.s the upcoming Tamil families / their sons/ daughters study Medicine & it is not much difficult for them here

In Florida, where I am currently residing with my daughter , already know many Male/ Female Tamil Doctors & a few of their children also are studying Medical My Grand daughter is one , started now,
I request Our Praveen to say something on this.
A.Srinivasan ( rishikesan )

I agree with the reply given in # 9. so We, Tamil brahmins should plan for Medical line, because it would be most important area to work for. In U.s the upcoming Tamil families / their sons/ daughters study Medicine & it is not much difficult for them here

In Florida, where I am currently residing with my daughter , already know many Male/ Female Tamil Doctors & a few of their children also are studying Medical My Grand daughter is one , started now,
I request Our Praveen to say something on this.
A.Srinivasan ( rishikesan )

We should start this initiative immediately or else we will loose the momentum!

Mr V. Gane, You have to BELL ? the C.A T.Please. think seriously & leisurely / Unnal Mudium take in your active friends & work slowly/ plan on Paper / get inputs/ ideas from all active Jr, and Senior / veterans ( take in only who say Yes" e we can try ?
Let it be a % Year Plan ,. Keep it Alive . Do not Close I am not a lucky guy. I can sincerely Pray to lord RAMA & Lord SRINIVASA from home.
A. Srinivasan ( Rishikesan )

All old generation engineers lament about the next generation engineers.

Engineers require experience to become good.

Engineering is a way of life.

Some academic inputs ,engineering students can get in colleges.

But practical exposure alone can make them good.

It is fashionable to criticize the youngsters.

Seniors lack self perception.

They do not realise how rotten they were when they passed out.

I agree 100%.

Each generation thinks no end of their generation.

I had attended a seminar some time back where some senior medicos were complaining about standards of medicos now.

Directly I asked them "hey how great was your knowledge back then? We all also learnt step by step..dont be jealous of the younger generation..it does not take much brains to do any job in this world..ask yourself this sincerely"

Obviously many oldie jaws dropped!LOL

I usually give it off right away to people who think new generation is useless.

I can safely say my son who is 16 years old has a wider range of thinking capacity than me at age 16.

Last edited:
I agree 100%.
Each generation thinks no end of their generation.
I had attended a seminar some time back where some senior medicos were complaining about standards of medicos now.
Directly I asked them "hey how great was your knowledge back then? We all also learnt step by step..dont be jealous of the younger generation..it does not take much brains to do any job in this world..ask yourself this sincerely"
Obviously many oldie jaws dropped!LOL
I usually give it off right away to people who think new generation is useless.
I can safely say my son who is 16 years old has a wider range of thinking capacity than me at age 16.

renukaji,

I find a tendency to generalise. When we say youngsters have poor standard it does not mean all the youngsters are in that category. From a time when pursuit of knowledge was out of interest to a time when certificates/degrees are chased because one has the money power and a need to earn more money, standards have indeed come down. So a majority of graduates are basically unwilling/reluctant participants in a rat race. When they study they do not know why they study and when they come to use the knowledge gained from study are all at sixes and sevens.

There is a small group who pursue study with real interest and shine when they practice what they studied.

You know the oft quoted subhashitham "AchAryAth pAdam AdattE............" In that the swamedhaya part of 25% and the sabrahmachAribhya part and kAlakramEna part of learning are missing in most of the students who get out of the college. A newbie just out of the Medical college and a Doctor with 5 years experience are not the same.

All of new generation are not useless. But many of them are.

I can write more about this but that would be later.

All of new generation are not useless. But many of them are.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I would never agree...I feel each generation felt the same of the subsequent generation.

Just listen to some fossilized oldie...he/she would be praising how great they were back then when if you dig deeper we would find they would have fought with relatives for trivial stuff like who had a better quality Langoti!LOL

Oldies also are famous for saying present generation are sexually liberated sans morals etc but the truth is Oldies were gunning it much earlier cos they were married younger to wives so young that it might warrant an arrest on grounds of statutory rape.

So its all oldie reel that they were more moral...they were more spiritual..they were less money minded...they were more higher quality in God knows what!

If we contact the Oldies parents from Pitr Loka they would be bragging how much better they were than their children.

Its tendency of humans to think they are better than present generation just to feed their own egos.

I personally do not feel any generation is better than the other...the human being is still very much the same if you ask me..its just that these days exposure is more so we see young people more outspoken and dare to be themselves.

That is the only difference if you ask me.

Last edited:
I also agree. Had the older generation been only the best don't think the developments which we see to day could ever happen. However that doesn't mean that oldies should be written off. There are many things where their opinion and advises worth in gold. May be that is what Vaagmi ji meant to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back