• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
OM
Vanakkam to one and all.
This is my first ever post. I wish to know the true facts regarding...
PRAYER.
I heard and know that Prayer is the first ever step towards God. I think mere requesting to fulfill our wishes is not only become a good prayer.
So I like to know what is a good prayer and how it should be.

Also what is the next step towards God?

Advance thanks to whoever responding my above queries.

Thank you,

SR

prayer

Dear sir
As soon as we get up in the morning we unlock the front door. In the night when we retire to bed we bolt the door Is it not?
Prayer is the key with which we should lock the day and with the same key we should open the day. this is what Gandhiji said
Prayer is the word of thanks said to the Lord for our existence in the world and not an application for getting this and that.
When all is said and done we cannot avoid asking boons and favours from the Lord, practically speaking.
There is nothing wrong. We are not asking x or y but our creator, our father or mother.Right
?பாரினில் எவர்க்கும் அடிமை செய்யோம் ; பரிபூரணனுக்கே அடிமை செய்து வாழ்வோம் .
மகாகவி பாரதி .

Dear sir
As soon as we get up in the morning we unlock the front door. In the night when we retire to bed we bolt the door Is it not?
Prayer is the key with which we should lock the day and with the same key we should open the day. this is what Gandhiji said
Prayer is the word of thanks said to the Lord for our existence in the world and not an application for getting this and that.
When all is said and done we cannot avoid asking boons and favours from the Lord, practically speaking.
There is nothing wrong. We are not asking x or y but our creator, our father or mother.Right
?பாரினில் எவர்க்கும் அடிமை செய்யோம் ; பரிபூரணனுக்கே அடிமை செய்து வாழ்வோம் .
மகாகவி பாரதி .
Thanks MR.Tvvaradan for your early reply. What is the next step towards God? Once again thanks for your reply .

Thanks MR.Tvvaradan for your early reply. What is the next step towards God? Once again thanks for your reply .

In simple terms I can say that the next step to God would be chanting names of the God (Ishtha Devatha) & manthrams of the God, and be in Dhyaanam [Meditation] with dedication and self discipline...

Cheers...

RAVI

The simplest form of prayer advocated by the scriptures for Kaliyuga is Namasmaranam(contemplation on the name of God).
there are many ways of prayer.
You can also do Seva as Manava Seva is Madhava Seva.
Try to stick to the famous shloka in the Bhagavad Geeta:

KARMANYEVAADHIKAARESTE MAA PHALESHU KADAACANA
MAA KARMAPHALAHETURBHOORMAA TE SANGOSTVAKARMANI

you are entitled to actions only , not to the fruits of it at anytime,
let not the fruits of action be your motive and be not attached to inaction.

its very human and normal to seek the assistance of God from time to time.
God gives us what we want till the day we want what God gives.

my response in blue
KARMANYEVAADHIKAARESTE MAA PHALESHU KADAACANA
MAA KARMAPHALAHETURBHOORMAA TE SANGOSTVAKARMANI

you are entitled to actions only , not to the fruits of it at anytime,
let not the fruits of action be your motive and be not attached to inaction.

I am not that much selfless as to no to expect salary in my job

its very human and normal to seek the assistance of God from time to time.
God gives us what we want till the day we want what God gives.

I still feel the right thin is "pray to God Oh sailor, but row towards the shore"

Greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
my response in blue

I still feel the right thin is "pray to God Oh sailor, but row towards the shore"

Greetings
there is no right or wrong in prayer. choose the path and technique most suited to ones innate ability and understanding.
what i have posted so far are only suggestions and obviously one can never go wrong by emulating the Bhagavad Gita.

everyone takes home pay after work. work is dharma. we have to preform our dharma sincerely and then the pay will be well deserved for our sustainence.(remember you are entitled to work)
we should do our duty as prescribed and not just do it at our whims and fancies and wait for the paycheck or cheat others in bussiness transactions. then its totally "illegal"
a portion of it should be given back to society in the form of charity.

i am just helping out an individual who wanted inputs for prayer and i suggested what have been prescribed in our scriptures.

Doing something, but without anticipation of any returns, as propounded in Gita is the most understood concept.

It actually means, "Do your duty. Do not feel anxious or restless for the returns to come".

It implies two things.

1. Lord Krishna never says, one should not accept any returns.

2. Don't get disappointed, angry, irritated, jealous, revengeful or depressed, if the
returns do not come, as per your expectations.

3. Accept whatever be the outcome or returns, gracefully and in a composed
manner.

Again, 'returns' means 'tangible results along the expected lines'. Even the delay,
nature and scale of the returns vis-a-vis one's anticipation may cause the negative responses, as listed above. Such responses are harmful not only to the person concerned, but also for others around.

Though it is very easy to say, it is very difficult to practise.

I hope I have explained properly.

short and comprehensive prayer

If God appears before me and tells, “I do not like a long list of demands. Tell your requirement precisely. I will grant only one thing to you.” What shall I ask for?

Wealth, health, happy family, fame, power – I want all of them and much more. Only one of these will not do. So my prayer would be,” Please guide my intellect.” With a good brain, I can earn everything. No. It is not enough. Those around me should also be intellectually sound. Otherwise it will make a hell of my life. So I will ask, “Please Guide our intellects.” That is Gayatri.

If God appears before me and tells, “I do not like a long list of demands. Tell your requirement precisely. I will grant only one thing to you.” What shall I ask for?

Wealth, health, happy family, fame, power – I want all of them and much more. Only one of these will not do. So my prayer would be,” Please guide my intellect.” With a good brain, I can earn everything. No. It is not enough. Those around me should also be intellectually sound. Otherwise it will make a hell of my life. So I will ask, “Please Guide our intellects.” That is Gayatri.

so true

Sabko Sanmathi dey Bhagavan

bhagavat gita

"You have the right to work and not to the fruits thereof" is generally misunderstood.

To do any work and get the result, the doer, the goal the implements or instruments and effficiency to do the work are needed. Bhagavan says in the gita in a very plain way that the above alone are not enough. My grace is needed. Yes HE is categorical about it.
To believe in this as aasthigam though difficult and confusing.

It does not mean that those who believe this will go without pay. If the mind is on the result only, we will try to get it by all means. and not necessarily by fair means alone. The concentration will not be on work but on result.

But if we work with the firm belief that God will take care of us, we will be able to take the result in a pecaeful way and not get agitated when it goes wrong.

Actually God knows what we need and to ask for it is sometimes or many times not wise.
Karpaga virutchchththin keezh nindru kowpeenaththaikketpaaraip pol
goes the vyakyanam.

'கற்பக விருட்சத்தின் கீழ் நின்று கவ்பீனத்தைக் கேட்பாரைப்போல்'

The eternal debate within us is between divine grace and free will.
When free will merges with grace success is the result.
I am not competent to suggest or advise but I am only thinking aloud through this forum
thanks

bhagavat gita

"You have the right to work and not to the fruits thereof" is generally misunderstood.

To do any work and get the result, the doer, the goal the implements or instruments and effficiency to do the work are needed. Bhagavan says in the gita in a very plain way that the above alone are not enough. My grace is needed. Yes HE is categorical about it.
To believe in this as aasthigam though difficult and confusing.

It does not mean that those who believe this will go without pay. If the mind is on the result only, we will try to get it by all means. and not necessarily by fair means alone. The concentration will not be on work but on result.

But if we work with the firm belief that God will take care of us, we will be able to take the result in a pecaeful way and not get agitated when it goes wrong.

Actually God knows what we need and to ask for it is sometimes or many times not wise.
Karpaga virutchchththin keezh nindru kowpeenaththaikketpaaraip pol
goes the vyakyanam.

'கற்பக விருட்சத்தின் கீழ் நின்று கவ்பீனத்தைக் கேட்பாரைப்போல்'

The eternal debate within us is between divine grace and free will.
When free will merges with grace success is the result.
I am not competent to suggest or advise but I am only thinking aloud through this forum
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back