• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

pls help me out

Status
Not open for further replies.
nacchi does not post in this forum anymore..

Nacchinarkiniyan Sir
I m writing this post after reading ur suggestion to Ms.Jannu.As my cousin is also facing the problrm relating to sagotra marriage so i request u to kindly provide information relating to Dayathi nd his concept relating to sagotra marriages.
Plz also provide information regarding Dayati ie,Who/Wat is Dayathi?((Imean is it name of a sage or name of a book)

Ur information would be highly valuable 4 us

Thanks in advance

Harish

Nacchinarkiniyan Sir
I m writing this post after reading ur suggestion to Ms.Jannu.As my cousin is also facing the problrm relating to sagotra marriage so i request u to kindly provide information relating to Dayathi nd his concept relating to sagotra marriages.
Plz also provide information regarding Dayati ie,Who/Wat is Dayathi?((Imean is it name of a sage or name of a book)

Ur information would be highly valuable 4 us

Thanks in advance

Harish
Hari,

I have explained the position as best as I could in your blog entry. I reproduce it below:

" sangom - Yesterday 06:13 PM

sagotra means a person whose gotra is the same as another's. Most TBs still avoid marrying girl/boy of the same gotra. But there is no great scientific sanctity in such a prohibition.

Daayaadi means a person belonging to the same "paternal" lineage within the last 7 generations. Naturally all daayaadis will have the same gotra and it is a closer genetic stock than sagotra. Pl. note that daayaadi applies only to the male line of descent and not to the female line of descent. For example one's "attaan" அத்தான் or "ammaanchi" அம்மாஞ்சி will not be a daayaadi to oneself.

Hope it is clear now."

our sangom is like nacchinarkiniyan.sangom wallgah :).anyways i thot dayadhis were 9 generation from paternal lineage,as navagrahas ,navathalaimurais.

[FONT=&quot]Love is superior to Gotra; But Science has something else to say[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Love is superior to Gotra; But Science has something else to say

Definitely nobody has the right to give death sentence to a loving couple, no matter they marry in spite of belonging to the same Gotra. “Love is superior to Gotra”, says Prof Neera Bhalla Sarin of Jawahar Lal Nehru University of New Delhi.
But Khap Panchayats are doling out death sentences in Haryana. There is a demand to change the Indian Marriages Act also. Many consider this demand representative of medieval-thinking in modern times. Today many especially from young generation do not even know what Gotra is. It is therefore natural that the controversy has puzzled so many. What does modern genetic science say on this issue?
Read Also: Similar clan Khap marriage becomes official between heavy police deployment

Read Also: What are khap panchayats?

Read Also: Naveen Jindal backs Khap panchyat demand

Considering the genetic characteristics of Indian population, the demand has some scientific validity, says one of the most respected geneticist of the country Dr Lal Ji Singh, the former Director of Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology, Hyderabad.

Science can be misinterpreted

But his comments can easily be misinterpreted as perhaps is already being done by Navin Jindal, Congress MP and Om Prakash Chautala, Former Chief Minister of Haryana.

According to Dr Lal nothing bad can happen in one or two marriages in the same Gotra or community. But if marriages keep on taking place in the same Gotra generation after generation then there is a risk of single gene disease.

Father Mother Both of the Same Gotra May Have Recessive Gene
If two recessive genes, one from mother and the other from father, happen to join then the single gene-specific genetic disease is sure. So far more than 1,000 such diseases have been identified and include: cystic fibrosis, phenylketonuria (PKU), galactosemia, retinoblastoma, albinism, sickle-cell anemia, thalassemia, Tay-Sachs disease, autism, growth hormone deficiency, adenosine deaminase deficiency, and juvenile muscular dystrophy.

A study led by scientists at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) in Hyderabad, India together with US researchers at Harvard Medical School, the Harvard School of Public Health and the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT was published in the September 24th issue of Nature. This study supports the contention of those who are opposing the marriages within the same Gotra.

According to this study many groups in modern India descend from a small number of founding individuals, and have been isolated from gene flow from other groups since then.

Because of Caste System, Indians Are Vulnerable

In scientific parlance this is called a “founding event”. This finding that a large proportion of modern Indians descend from “founder event” means that India is genetically not a single large population, instead it is best described as many smaller isolated populations. The populations have remained isolated because of marriages within castes.

Traditionally marriages do take place within a caste but further sub-division through Gotra is avoided. The study mentioned above is being cited the scientific basis to oppose marriages within a Gotra. If marriages take place within a Gotra then the risk of Recessive Gene Disorder is high. But it does not mean every such couple will give birth to a baby with the Recessive Gene Disorder.

Recessive Gene Disorder occurs only when an individual carries two malfunctioning copies of the relevant gene, one coming from mother and other from father.

The study mentions, “Allele frequency differences between groups in India are larger than in Europe, reflecting strong founder effects whose signatures have been maintained for thousands of years owing to endogamy. We therefore predict that there will be an excess of recessive diseases in India.”

Haldane wrote decades ago that ‘‘if inter-caste marriages in India become common, various… recessive characters will become rarer’’ that means only Indians will have that disease. An example is a 25-base-pair deletion in MYBPC3 that increases heart failure risk by about sevenfold, and occurs at around 4% throughout India but is nearly absent elsewhere.

The Haryana Khaps should be the last people talking about gotras: Incest: Haryana's shameful social heritage - India - The Times of India

The khaps want to do katta panchayat to show their "social power".

And Jindal and folks just wanna make it an issue for political mileage.

Btw, i wud like to know the source from where Vinod Varshney wrote this in his article:

A study led by scientists at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) in Hyderabad, India together with US researchers at Harvard Medical School, the Harvard School of Public Health and the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT was published in the September 24th issue of Nature. This study supports the contention of those who are opposing the marriages within the same Gotra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back