• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Please Help and Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respected Members,

Namaskarams to all

I am Kaushik Iyer from hyderabad and have recently joined the Community.At first A Big Thanks for the people behind this community, this was a great place to learn various facts and rituals about Brahmins.
I found the community a substitute to my Loved Grand Father (Who is no more now) who used to tell me these things.
Dear Members, I am 2nd of the three sons in our family and aged 23.I have an Elder Brother (25 Years) and a Younger Brother (18 Years).My Dad met his death all of a sudden three years before and neither of us had Upanayanam done at that time.
So our family priest suggested that I and my Brother can perform the rituals by "Kalla Poonal" or "temporary Poonal" and the Upanayanam was performed after a month at a Temple by my Chitappa and chithi.
Now I and my elder Brother (UnMarried) have got upanayanam done.
Now is it Legitimate to perform Upanayanam to our Younger brother now.OR Do we have to wait for my Elder Brother to Marry?
Many of them suggested my mom not to perform the Upanayanam to my younger brother as they say there should not be more than 2 Brahmacharygal in a home.
Is that True? Then wats the correct remedy to be followed?
However My Grand mother (78) says that she wants to see the last Grandson's Upanayanam before her death.

In thanjavur district and nagapattinam district in tamil nadu state we are after poonal as brahmacharis we are living in the same house for years together. even 5 or 6 brahmachris. you can perform upanayanam for your younger brother now itself.

Respected Members,

Namaskarams to all

I am Kaushik Iyer from hyderabad and have recently joined the Community.At first A Big Thanks for the people behind this community, this was a great place to learn various facts and rituals about Brahmins.
I found the community a substitute to my Loved Grand Father (Who is no more now) who used to tell me these things.
Dear Members, I am 2nd of the three sons in our family and aged 23.I have an Elder Brother (25 Years) and a Younger Brother (18 Years).My Dad met his death all of a sudden three years before and neither of us had Upanayanam done at that time.
So our family priest suggested that I and my Brother can perform the rituals by "Kalla Poonal" or "temporary Poonal" and the Upanayanam was performed after a month at a Temple by my Chitappa and chithi.
Now I and my elder Brother (UnMarried) have got upanayanam done.
Now is it Legitimate to perform Upanayanam to our Younger brother now.OR Do we have to wait for my Elder Brother to Marry?
Many of them suggested my mom not to perform the Upanayanam to my younger brother as they say there should not be more than 2 Brahmacharygal in a home.
Is that True? Then wats the correct remedy to be followed?
However My Grand mother (78) says that she wants to see the last Grandson's Upanayanam before her death.

The Upanayanam of my first and second sons was conducted together in 1978. The third son was 7 years and was not particularly attracted to the idea of poonal and vadhyar also said three poonals on the same day is not advisable. So, my third son had his poonal in 1984 and from1984 to 1994 (when the eldest got married) there were three brahmacharis in the house and nothing untoward happened - not even death of my aged parents.

Our aacaarams are so confusingly mixed up even by பாட்டிமார் வம்பு, that it is really not known many times why silly reasons are advanced for or against (mostly) someone doing something according to their family convenience. I would say, must be pure jealousy against a widow with three sons who seems to have been successful in raising her kids.

Our aacaarams are so confusingly mixed up even by பாட்டிமார் வம்பு, that it is really not known many times why silly reasons are advanced for or against (mostly) someone doing something according to their family convenience.

Golden words, I am deeply sorry that many more of TB's do not follow your advice. It would spare us a lot of misery.

Brahmacharya (Vedic Ashram System - Gurukulam) is one of the four stages of
life in a person according to Manu Smriti. Brahmacharya, Grihastha (a
house holder), Vanaprastha (retirement to forest) and Sannyasa (complete
renunciation of all attachments). Upanayanam is considered to take the
second stage i.e. second birth in the Child's life. That is the stage that makes
us eligible to do certain Hindu dharma activities, particularly Sandhya Vandhanam
which is to be done by every one, who is born as a Brahmin.

Brahmacharyam, in an overall view, means leading a life of pure thoughts,
pure actions, pure aspirations, with full consciousness but people just tag it
as unmarried state. It is also deciphered as a mode of life which take us to
the realisation of God if one aspires to lead that life. Then it is not possible
without practicing self restraint in us unless one undergoes classes in Guru
Kulam where it is taught as a lesson along with Vedic Classes.

We have been seeing 3 brothers living in a family having performed Upanayanam.
Hence, it may not be concluded as above. Perhaps there is no hard and fast rule
to say that in a family 3 unmarried boys having done Upanayanam should not be there.
In some families I have seen Upanayanam is just carried out only a couple of days
before the marriage, where father is not there. It is better to seek the advice of
a learned Sastrigal in this aspect.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Hi All,

Thanks all for your Reply.

Taking all your reply here it seems to be a Mith that
"There should not be More than two brahmachari in the same house"

Our Family Priest Actually said that we can go ahead and have the Upanayanam of my brother done however the Vadyar who comes to have food during the Devasam said No We should not have my brother's upanayanam done before my elder brother's marriage is over.
All though the Vadyar who told this is a Jr.Vadyar (Assistant to Periya Vadyar) our family members are in a dilemma whether or not to perform the Upanayanam.

In Hinduism (and in life), if you want a justification for what is convenient to you, you need to find the right rule book.
My English teacher told me "find the meaning you want, i can find you the dictionary".

It is better to get confirmed rather than going against the Law of Nature which advises..
as per the Chief Vadhyar. There is a suggestion - that you can send a mail to Nannilam
V Rajagopal Ganapadigal, author of Vaithikasri Magazine. He would be able to give you
some advice. His mail ID is [email protected] Tel No.044-24361210 or 24361211.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Thank Your Sir

Balasubramanian Sir

Namaskaram,

Thank your for your Information I woudl sure reach him to know what can be done in this situation and will post it here.

Kaushik Iyer
Hyderabad.

Our Priest also gave an Example that in Ramayana The Four Son i.e Rama, Lakshmana , Bharata and Shatrugnya had their Upanayanam done at the same time and the after happening is all known about the suffering Sri Rama had to face !!!

This made us thing about stepping ahead with my younger Brother's Upanayanam
My Family particularly My mom Decided not to get the Upanayanam done for now.

Our Priest also gave an Example that in Ramayana The Four Son i.e Rama, Lakshmana , Bharata and Shatrugnya had their Upanayanam done at the same time and the after happening is all known about the suffering Sri Rama had to face !!!

This made us thing about stepping ahead with my younger Brother's Upanayanam
My Family particularly My mom Decided not to get the Upanayanam done for now.

You are correct. Mother is the correct person to tell you as she would have consulted
some one in this regard.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back