• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Please help or suggest.

mageshgk

Certainly! Here's a revised version of your message:

Dear Sir/Madam,

This morning, between 6:30 and 7:00, I was on my way to Bala Murugan Temple in TVK Nagar on my bike when I accidentally hit a squirrel. I immediately stopped my vehicle, intending to rescue it. Unfortunately, before I could do so, another tempo passed over it. I moved the body to the roadside, said a prayer for my unintentional actions, and then proceeded to the temple. I sincerely apologized for the incident. I want to emphasize that it was an accident, but I can't shake the feeling of guilt. I would appreciate any suggestions or help to cope with this situation.

Thanks in advance
Magesh

वेदाविनाशिनं नित्यं य एनमजमव्ययम् |
कथं स पुरुष: पार्थ कं घातयति हन्ति कम् || 21||
vedāvināśhinaṁ nityaṁ ya enam ajam avyayam
kathaṁ sa puruṣhaḥ pārtha kaṁ ghātayati hanti kam

BG 2.21: O Parth, how can one who knows the soul to be imperishable, eternal, unborn, and immutable kill anyone or cause anyone to kill?

A spiritually elevated soul quells the ego that makes us feel that we are the doers of our actions. In that state, one can see that the soul seated within actually does nothing. Such an elevated soul, though doing all kinds of actions, is never tainted by them. Shree Krishna is advising Arjun that he must elevate himself to that enlightened level, seeing himself as the non-doer, free from egotism, and perform his duty rather than shirk from it.

अथ चैनं नित्यजातं नित्यं वा मन्यसे मृतम् |
तथापि त्वं महाबाहो नैवं शोचितुमर्हसि || 26||
atha chainaṁ nitya-jātaṁ nityaṁ vā manyase mṛitam
tathāpi tvaṁ mahā-bāho naivaṁ śhochitum arhasi

BG 2.26: If, however, you think that the self is subject to constant birth and death, O mighty-armed Arjun, even then you should not grieve like this.

Certainly! Here's a revised version of your message:

Dear Sir/Madam,

This morning, between 6:30 and 7:00, I was on my way to Bala Murugan Temple in TVK Nagar on my bike when I accidentally hit a squirrel. I immediately stopped my vehicle, intending to rescue it. Unfortunately, before I could do so, another tempo passed over it. I moved the body to the roadside, said a prayer for my unintentional actions, and then proceeded to the temple. I sincerely apologized for the incident. I want to emphasize that it was an accident, but I can't shake the feeling of guilt. I would appreciate any suggestions or help to cope with this situation.

Thanks in advance
Magesh
Give yourself sometime to get over it.
I have no idea why a lot of stray cats choose my house to die.
Some die in front of my house run over by cars or some just fall sick and die as kittens.

I usually recite mantras over their dead bodies.
Sprinkle some ganga water which I keep at home.
Then I dispose them in a nearby jungle.

May be you could recite some prayers in your heart for the betterment of the soul of the squirrel.

Bhagavad Gita: Chapter 2, Verse 27
जातस्य हि ध्रुवो मृत्युर्ध्रुवं जन्म मृतस्य च |
तस्मादपरिहार्येऽर्थे न त्वं शोचितुमर्हसि || 27||

jātasya hi dhruvo mṛityur dhruvaṁ janma mṛitasya cha
tasmād aparihārye ’rthe na tvaṁ śhochitum arhasi

BG 2.27: Death is certain for one who has been born, and rebirth is inevitable for one who has died. Therefore, you should not lament over the inevitable.

I strongly believe in Karma Theory. Things happen according to what is supposed to happen. That can not be changed. But you can change how you react to the event. Your attachment to the result is what causes you this guilt. Even though your intentions are good, they are causing harm to you. Just put it behind you and carry on with life.

Bhagavad Gita: Chapter 2, Verse 27
जातस्य हि ध्रुवो मृत्युर्ध्रुवं जन्म मृतस्य च |
तस्मादपरिहार्येऽर्थे न त्वं शोचितुमर्हसि || 27||

jātasya hi dhruvo mṛityur dhruvaṁ janma mṛitasya cha
tasmād aparihārye ’rthe na tvaṁ śhochitum arhasi

BG 2.27: Death is certain for one who has been born, and rebirth is inevitable for one who has died. Therefore, you should not lament over the inevitable.

I strongly believe in Karma Theory. Things happen according to what is supposed to happen. That can not be changed. But you can change how you react to the event. Your attachment to the result is what causes you this guilt. Even though your intentions are good, they are causing harm to you. Just put it behind you and carry on with life.
Technically you are right.
But as humans we have emotions.
Guilt is part of being human.
Guilt is a form of compassion though it has shades of attachment.

I can totally understand why the OP feels guilty.
Death is inevitable but the squirrel experienced pain before it died..so the OP feels bad about that.

Gita stanzas work well once our emotions are settled.

Death is inevitable but the squirrel experienced pain before it died..so the OP feels bad about that.

hi

i agreed......in reality. .sorrow is sorrow.....quoting is easy.....preaching is easy tooo.....the pain remain pain..

I would say try to do something positive.. like build a small sparrow house on the balcony of your house.. all you need is a strong cardboard box which you can nail or stick to the ceiling with fevicol. Leave it untouched for sometime and sprinkle rice grains every morning below the card board box on the floor.. sparrows will start to build a nest and soon the squeaking of these heavenly creatures will sooth your wounds..

but building a birds nest is only distract you.

I feel sorry that you had to undergo the excruciating events related to the squirrel. It takes time to heal.. Just pray when you can and add an extra trip to the nearby temple when you can. This will soothe you.

I know I am not that evolved or Krishna. But this mamby-pammy reaction does not help anybody. If Krishna had agreed with Arjuna's manufactured delusion and grief there would not have been Mahabharata war or Gita for that matter. You need shock treatment to jolt someone from ignorance. Call me one of the intolerant. I will not coddle willful ignorance anymore.

"I had a tough childhood, so I want to make sure my children have it easy" is a common refrain among many parents. Fair enough. While this philosophy is well-intentioned, it's often poorly executed. The result: overzealous parents with overprotected children. Consequently, we raise kids who do not know how to problem solve effectively or lack coping skills in the face of adversities. The sooner we learn to stop coddling not just our kids but ourselves, the richer our lives will become.

I know I am not that evolved or Krishna. But this mamby-pammy reaction does not help anybody. If Krishna had agreed with Arjuna's manufactured delusion and grief there would not have been Mahabharata war or Gita for that matter. You need shock treatment to jolt someone from ignorance. Call me one of the intolerant. I will not coddle willful ignorance anymore.

"I had a tough childhood, so I want to make sure my children have it easy" is a common refrain among many parents. Fair enough. While this philosophy is well-intentioned, it's often poorly executed. The result: overzealous parents with overprotected children. Consequently, we raise kids who do not know how to problem solve effectively or lack coping skills in the face of adversities. The sooner we learn to stop coddling not just our kids but ourselves, the richer our lives will become.
Dear Prasad ji,
Its not about evolution, sometimes we find it hard to get over death in any form..be it a loved one or a pet or some random animal on the road.

The Atma is eternal, the body is temporary, death is a transition..yes agreed but PAIN is real.
Pain felt by an animal being hit on the road is real..that is what which isnt easy to get over for some people.
Havent you ever felt sad in your life watching a dead animal on the road?

I am sure you did..may be you forgot.
Sometimes one might need a jolt to make one remember compassion.

I have compassion and shed a few tears trying to save some poor animal. I have spent my time and money with the vets trying to save the suffering of dogs who get hurt on the streets.
Do I carry on with living or do I lament the loss of one life? That too because of YOUR guilt.
The OP was about guilt and not about the death. Thousands of animals and humans die every day we have adjusted to live with that fact. It is our association and the impact that it has on us that matters.

I have compassion and shed a few tears trying to save some poor animal. I have spent my time and money with the vets trying to save the suffering of dogs who get hurt on the streets.
Do I carry on with living or do I lament the loss of one life? That too because of YOUR guilt.
The OP was about guilt and not about the death. Thousands of animals and humans die every day we have adjusted to live with that fact. It is our association and the impact that it has on us that matters.
Agreed.
But each one of us react to loss of life( death) and the guilt that comes with it in different ways.

Yes, lots of animals and humans die daily..agreed..yet soldiers in war develop PTSD when they survive the war but witnessed their friends dying in battle.

Why did they develop PTSD? Because they knew their fellow soldier and bonded with them.
Some amount of memory is our system when we know someone.

In the case of the squirrel, the OP saw the squirrel die right in front of his eyes..thats why he started to feel guilt...the transient contact did elicit some amount of memory of pain felt by the squirrel.

Is it so hard to understand human feelings?
We all react differently.
May be you are more practical and technical but some others are less technical.

Agreed.
But each one of us react to loss of life( death) and the guilt that comes with it in different ways.

Yes, lots of animals and humans die daily..agreed..yet soldiers in war develop PTSD when they survive the war but witnessed their friends dying in battle.

Why did they develop PTSD? Because they knew their fellow soldier and bonded with them.

In the case of the squirrel, the OP saw the squirrel die right in front of his eyes..thats why he started to feel guilt...the transient contact did elicit some amount of memory of pain felt by the squirrel.

Is it so hard to understand human feelings?
We all react differently.
May be you are more practical and technical but some others are less technical.
hi doctor,

i had gone through PTSD after KARGIL WAR....i realy experienced in my life....as a war veteran...

Latest ads

Back