• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Philosopher who carried Lantern in day Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diogenes-statue-Sinop.JPG

Philosopher who carried Lantern in day Time!
A few men in history carried lantern (lamp) in the day time to enlighten mankind. Another BLIND man carried a torch during night time! Another Tamil scholar was called ‘Day Blind’ and he got enlightened by the criticism. Read the following three anecdotes for more enlightenment.

Diogenes (410- 320 BC) was a Greek philosopher. He belonged to Sinope in modern Turkey, an ancient Greek colony. He came to Athens (now capital of Greece) and founded the Cynic sect with his Guru Antisthenes. The English word Cynic (doggish) came from this sect. People who belonged to this sect lived like Hindu ascetics sacrificing all comforts. Greeks thought it is a dog’s life. Diogenes was said to have lived in a big broken jar. When Alexander the Great came to him and asked what he could do for him, Diogenes asked him to move away so that his shadow would not block the sunlight! He wandered through Athens with a lamp in day time! When people laughed at him, he told that he was looking for an honest man!

The same story was attributed to many others as well.

Blind man carrying a lantern
A blind man was carrying a lantern during a dark night. He was carrying a staff in one hand for support and a lantern in another hand. People who saw him were puzzled. A young man could not control his laughter. He said to him, “you are blind. Why do you carry a lantern? Do you think that you could see something?”

The blind man answered him calmly, “My friend, I keep this lantern so that people like you do not bump against blind old man like me”.

A saint of South India used this story to emphasize another point. He said, Even if you don’t understand the ancient scriptures and rituals (scripturally blind), just keep on doing them. You may be blind, but at least it would help others to see something.
‘Blind leading the blind’ is another phrase we come across in Hindu and Christian scriptures.

alexander_diogenes.gif

Tamil Scholars’ Wisdom
Marai Jnana Sambandhar was a Saivite scholar of 14[SUP]th[/SUP] century. He blindfolded himself with a cloth like the famous epic woman Gandhari of Maha Bharata. He was the author of several scholarly works including ‘Sivadharmotththaram’ and lived in Chidambaram. His Mutt (place of religious head) was called Kankatti Mutt=blindfold Mutt. The reason he blindfolded himself was to avoid seeing the evil or bad activities of men. He was thorough with all the Saivite scriptures and translated many books from Sanskrit.

There were several people with the same name Mari Njana Sambhandhar. Umapathi Sivacharyar was the disciple of one of them. He was considered an authority of Saiva Sidhdhanta. He used to go to temple in palanquin because of his high status. One day a beggar saw this and mocked at him, “look at this, a Day Blind is travelling on a Dry Wood!” ( in Tamil Patta Kattaiyil Pakal Kurudu Ekuthu Paar)
Palanquins are made up of dry bamboos. The beggar criticized him for his luxurious life in spite of his great scholarship. Wisdom dawned upon him as soon as he heard the beggar’s words. Immediately he got down from the palanquin and stopped using them as a transport for temple visit.
Blind people and lanterns can make men richer in wisdom!

N.B.Those who use my posts are requested to give the name of the author, London Swaminathan, or the blog name. My posts are simultaneously uploaded on to five or six blogs. This is the only support you can give to the writers without spending s single penny. Pictures are not mine. Thanks.

Sir, I read this story from Sri Ramakrishna's parables. As far as ' blind leading the blind', this reference is from Thirumandiram by saint Thirumoolar.

Dear Ranganathan
Thanks for the reference from Thirumanthiram.
If I remember correct it is also in the Bible and the Upanishads.
Thirumoolar repeats many sayings of great people.
In fact, under each topic we can see similar thoughts, sometime verbatim!
We may even think that the person has translated it. But there is no need for translation.
Thy think the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back