• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Performance of Sandhyavandanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three times a day is not possible for all. I never missed performing atleast one time a day for a great length of my life. For other two times I may just chant Gayathri. This as an option is missing in the poll. So I voted for the first option and am giving my explanation here.

Dear Shri RKB,

I agree that the one time option should have been there. But I set these options based on what I hear from people and seemed to be the most popular practices that I am familiar with. Anyway the thread has resulted in some good exchange of Sandyavandanam procedures and interest in performing the same.

Regards,

Respected Sir,

As far as Puranas go , Madhyanikam is an integral part of our Nitya Karma Anushtanam , infact our puranas and shastras give lot of emphasis on Madhyanikam . Let me try to give you certain examples

1)If you read Saint Tyagaraja's biography ,their a specefic mention of Maadhyanika Snanam , wherein he goes to the River Bank to take maadhyanika Snanam to perform Maadhyanikam ( at this juncture Lord Rama comes and gives his darshanam to Saint Tyagaraja's wife first)

2) For all those who perform Tarpanams or Shrardham , it always mentioned as well as advised by learned people that all those pithru karyams have to be performed after Madhyanikam followed by a seperate snanam

3) I beleive aavani avittam is a age old ritual and the same is also peformed after maadhyanikam

4) Brahmayagyam which is a daily thanks giving to our Rishis , Deva's and also for Pithrus is again a ritual done after Maadhyanikam.

5) Finally if you come across any Upanayam you may observe that most of the Muhurtham gets over betwen 10 Am to 11 AM and here again after Brahmopadesham , the child is first initiated into the karma Anushtanam module by teaching him to perform Maadyanikam and observe the Sun through Gaalinee Mudhra .

Hence according to me Maadhyanikam is a very very important constituent of our Daily Anushtanams and every body should strive to perform the same.

we did upanayanam for our elder son in feb.'10 only. for 3 months he was doing it twice a day and thrice a day on weekends. but now he doesn't want to wear dhoti and do 108 chants without doing it properly. he is feeling little shy whether his friends will nag him for this and laziness also. we don't no how to handle during his teenage now. eventhough we are strict sometimes we are unable to chase him every time for doing this. my hubby also started doing it regularly. but he never turns and sees him doing. but we believe gayatri mantra only helps us brahmins in life for achieving our goals.

Dear Shrimathi Uma_bala:

It's good that your son is doing 108 chants. It's Ok if he doesn't wear dhoti. Given our cultural changes and the teenage shyness this is natural. You can probably associate him more with family elders and take him to temples, veda patasalas etc and religious places and slowly remove the shyness. So no need to worry. All the best.

Regards,

we did upanayanam for our elder son in feb.'10 only. for 3 months he was doing it twice a day and thrice a day on weekends. but now he doesn't want to wear dhoti and do 108 chants without doing it properly. he is feeling little shy whether his friends will nag him for this and laziness also. we don't no how to handle during his teenage now. eventhough we are strict sometimes we are unable to chase him every time for doing this. my hubby also started doing it regularly. but he never turns and sees him doing. but we believe gayatri mantra only helps us brahmins in life for achieving our goals.
Smt. Uma_bala,

In my opinion what is more important is that a boy gets to know how to perform sandhyavandan without the help of book or someone else. For this let him read any good book or web page giving the mantras, their meanings and how to perform the sandhyavandan. If his father can cross check periodically whether the boy has mastered it that should be OK. As and when he gets a genuine interest in such things, he will be able to start doing it without difficulty.

It is difficult, you see, to convince youngsters about the need for and the benefits of doing Sandhyavandan regularly. So, it is better not to force him.

Thank you very much for both Mr.Sangom and Mr.Samarapungavan(sorry as it is I've written)/
This removes guilty feeling from our mind that we are lacking something in our parenting skills. we will be patient with him to realise the importance on his own in his life.
I feel much relaxed now.
regards
uma bala

If the father does regularly Sandhyavandhanam, the boys will emulate them.It will greatly help develop Thejus, good health, memory and greatness in every field and shine in life. May the Dharma flourish well!

The easiest way is to buy Sandhyavandanam book published by Ramakrishna matham or Giri Trading Agency. The latter in particular has brought out a book in Tamil/English with drawings to explain very clearly. To read the mantram correctly take the help of websites with audio. You can google 'sandhyavandanam'.

i am doing Sandya Vandanam (three times) a day daily. There is no holiday etc for this function. If u are judicious, u can do it during travel. during pollution too u can do SV

If there is a will, there is always a way!!

Doing madhyanikam is the most difficult on working days. Unlike a muslim it is not possible to spread a small mat and pray. We need to perform the argya pradanam, surya vandanam (by looking at the sun) for which office environment is not suitable.

Of course the ridicule it can invite from the colleagues..

With regards,
Swami

There is where you are. When a muslim brother can do namaaz unmindful of his collegues.Why can"t we do it .Need not do it near your seat but there will definitely be a verandah which will provide ample space if there is a space in our heart and will in the mind. Noted Writer Jayakanthan writes " Nothing has changed in villages when the settlement of non brahmins are concerned but the atmosphere in Agraharams have changed " We are not able to see elders doing Sandhyavandhanam on thinnai and children reciting slokas and young girls singing devotional songs. The real reaso "We feel ashamed to show in public that we are Brahmins"

When a muslim brother can do namaaz unmindful of his collegues.
Dear wrongan
In Kerala which has a large Muslim population I haven't found any Muslim doing namaaz inside the office.In schools and colleges the lunch break is extended by half an hour on Fridays to enable Muslim students and teachers to attend the namaaz at the mosque.Probably you may know the practice in Tamil Nadu and you might have seen Muslims offering namaaz in the office verandah.

Doing madhyanikam is the most difficult on working days. Unlike a muslim it is not possible to spread a small mat and pray. We need to perform the argya pradanam, surya vandanam (by looking at the sun) for which office environment is not suitable.

With regards,
Swami

I agree that for doing Madhayanigam some preparation is required and it will be difficult to do the same while in office.But I don't subscribe to the view that we may subject ourselves to ridicule of colleagues.If we have faith and conviction in our religious practices,we should not care for others views and opinion.I appreciate people sporting tufts and namam/vibhuthi even to day holding high positions and attending offices.

A very devoted and religious muslim senior officer started doing namaz in the office on friday afternoons and slowly it extended to other days as well, I think, as soon as he got a separate cabin on account of promotion. This was brought to the notice of the higher authorities and he was asked to desist from such practices. We don't know what was told to that officer but he stopped doing namaaz in the office, any way.

I agree that for doing Madhayanigam some preparation is required and it will be difficult to do the same while in office.But I don't subscribe to the view that we may subject ourselves to ridicule of colleagues.If we have faith and conviction in our religious practices,we should not care for others views and opinion.I appreciate people sporting tufts and namam/vibhuthi even to day holding high positions and attending offices.
Sir,

I agree with you to some extent. But look someone were to sport kudumi, it would obviously imply that he does not have to shave his face at frequent intervals. I normally avoid having a shave on amavasya, but even to observe that becomes difficult at times. I have to look at panchangam to have a shave before the actual amavasya thithi sets in or have it after pratama sets in.

Many would attest that many days are prohibited for shaving. If that has to be observed scrupulously, one would find himself unemployable in today's corporate settings.

With regards,
Swami

Once again it boils down to one's conviction and determination.I have seen some boys settled in the US,working for MNCs, never compromising in their faith in Brahmincal traditions and customs,strictly following them.

Once again it boils down to one's conviction and determination.I have seen some boys settled in the US,working for MNCs, never compromising in their faith in Brahmincal traditions and customs,strictly following them.

This thread, I suppose, is specific to practice of sandhyavandanam, not about faith in nitya karma or rituals..

It is amusing when you say that some boys settled in US practising traditions and customs strictly! Even if have to plant some falsehood, be smart enough that it is close to truth.

With regards,
Swami

Ram Krishna Hari!! Panduranga Hari!!

While coming across the posts i could see people are Much interested in getting books or Cds. I would suggest don't follow it blindly. Because As far as i know there is some small small specifics for each and every sect. You can observe an Andra sampradhaya sndhyavandanam is a little bit different from Smartha Yajur veda Sandhyavanthanam. People should aware about his first. Next important thing i am re iterating from another post of Mine is " Prathi Dhwani" (Echo or recorded sound) has no value as per dharma sastra's. Using book will be okay if you learnt it from elders or some aacharya and just keeping the book as reference. Please learn sandhyavandanam from an elder untl you got memorise it.
Thanks!!
Ram Krishna Hari!! Panduranga Hari!!

Thinnai

There is where you are. When a muslim brother can do namaaz unmindful of his collegues.Why can"t we do it .Need not do it near your seat but there will definitely be a verandah which will provide ample space if there is a space in our heart and will in the mind. Noted Writer Jayakanthan writes " Nothing has changed in villages when the settlement of non brahmins are concerned but the atmosphere in Agraharams have changed " We are not able to see elders doing Sandhyavandhanam on thinnai and children reciting slokas and young girls singing devotional songs. The real reaso "We feel ashamed to show in public that we are Brahmins"

Dear Sir,

The reason Brahmins are ashamed especially in TN is beacuse of continous propaganda and hatred towards TBs
in TN by kazagams.This is on one side and on the other side TBs have changed tremendously and many have forgotten the simple Sandyavandanam which requires 15mins time and a tumler of water.

But there is renewed interest among the youth which is welcome change.

your note on "Sandhyavandhanam on thinnai" brings to me euphoria of a glorious and yet simple past lives of our elders.

Regards,

Dear Sir,

The reason Brahmins are ashamed especially in TN is beacuse of continous propaganda and hatred towards TBs
in TN by kazagams.This is on one side and on the other side TBs have changed tremendously and many have forgotten the simple Sandyavandanam which requires 15mins time and a tumler of water.

But there is renewed interest among the youth which is welcome change.

your note on "Sandhyavandhanam on thinnai" brings to me euphoria of a glorious and yet simple past lives of our elders.

Regards,

Sir,

In my observation, it is not that NBs have lost total respect of brahmins who try to follows their karma. One of my friend of 20 years, a NB was to tell me that walking through the agraharam (he is referring to 1960s) was a near divine experience. All this notwithstanding the DK/DMK propaganda.

Livelihood pursuits is the main reason for hastening the decay of agraharams.

With regards,
Swami

Whatever may be the external influence on the conduct of our religious practices like performance of sandyavandanam, the parents have a greater say in the way the children are guided.The elders should be not only in a position to explain to the children the significance of performing our age old nithya karma anushtanas but also be a role model to them.

Whatever may be the external influence on the conduct of our religious practices like performance of sandyavandanam, the parents have a greater say in the way the children are guided.The elders should be not only in a position to explain to the children the significance of performing our age old nithya karma anushtanas but also be a role model to them.---------------------The present day generation of our age is having half faith in the nithya karma other shroutha karma.We neither have belief or dis belief.But we have some sort of fear that not doing some karma will affect us.In this contest how can be the parents be roll model.But proximity to satsangam (was available in agraharam type of living) will inculcate faith in karamas.

Dear Mr.Wrongan
I totally agree with you.The present day elders who are supposed to be role model to the youngsters are themselves half believers in the conduct of brahminical anushtanas.

hi all, i am a new member. my name is v. baranikrishnan, from chennai. i saw a pdf file on sandhyavandanam. i could not download as i was not a member. now i registered myself, but i could not see the attachment now. anyone please help me in referring that attachment.

bye - v. baranikrishnan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back