• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Our Veda, Upanishada, other oldScriptures

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Samaveda, or Veda of Holy Songs, third in the usual order of enumeration of the three Vedas, ranks next in sanctity and liturgical importance to the Rgveda or Veda of Recited praise. Its Sanhita, or metrical portion, consists chiefly of hymns to be chanted by the Udgatar priests at the performance of those important sacrifices in which the juice of the Soma plant, clarified and mixed with milk and other ingredients, was offered in libation to various deities. The Collection is made up of hymns, portions of hymns, and detached verses, taken mainly from the Rgveda, transposed and re-arranged, without reference to their original order, to suit the religious ceremonies in which they were to be employed. In these compiled hymns there are frequent variations, of more or less importance, from the text of the Rgveda as we now possess it which variations, although in some cases they are apparently explanatory, seem in others to be older and more original than the readings of the Rgveda. In singing, the verses are still further altered by prolongation, repetition and insertion of syllables, and various modulations, rests, and other modifications prescribed, for the guidance of the officiating priests, in the Ganas or Song-books. Two of these manuals, the Gramageyagdna, or Congregational, and the Aranyagana or Forest Song-Book, follow the order of the verses of part I, of the Sanhita, and two others, the Uhagana, the Uhyagana, of Part II. This part is less disjointed than part I, and is generally arranged in triplets

KANDA I

PRAPATHAKA I

The New and Full Moon Sacrifices
i. 1. 1.

a For food thee, for strength thee!
b Ye are winds, ye are approachers.
c Let the god Savitr impel you to the most excellent offering.
d O invincible ones, swell with the share for the gods,
Full of strength, of milk, rich in offspring, free from sickness, from disease.
e Let no thief, no evil worker, have control over you.
f Let Rudra's dart avoid you.
g Abide ye, numerous, with this lord of cattle.
h Do thou protect the cattle of the sacrificer.
i. 1. 2

a Thou art the substance of the sacriflee.
b The Raksas is burned up, the evil spirits are burned up.
c The Vedi hath come to the sacrificial straw,
Made by Manu, fashioned with the Svadha call.
The sages fetch it from in front,
The delightful straw for the gods to sit on here.
d Thou art impelled by the gods.
e Thou art made to grow by the rains.
f O divine straw, lot me not hit thee either across or along,
g Let me hit thy joints,
h Let me come to no harm in cutting thee.
i O divine straw, rise with a hundred shoots,
Let us rise with a thousand shoots.
k Guard from the contact of earth.
l I gather thee with good gathering.
m Thou art the girdle of Aditi, the cord of Indrani.
n Let Pusan tie a knot for thee, that knot shall mount me.
o I hold thee up with the arms of Indra, I seize thee with the head of Brhaspati.
p Fare along the wide atmosphere.
q Thou art going to the gods.
i. 1. 3.

a Be ye pure for the divine rite, the sacrifice to the gods.
b Thou art the cauldron of Matariçvan.
c Thou art the heaven, thou art the earth.
d Thou art the all-supporting with the highest support.
e Be firm, waver not.
f Thou art the strainer of the Vasus, of a hundred streams, thou art that of the Vasus, of a thousand streams.
g The spot (stoka) has been offered, the drop has been offered.
h To Agni, to the mighty firmament!
i Hail to sky and earth!
k This is she of all life, this is the all-encompassing, this is the all-doing.
I Be ye united, that follow holy orders,
Ye that wave and are fullest of sweetness,
Delightful for the gaining of wealth.
m With Soma I curdle thee, curds for Indra.
n O Visnu, guard the offering.
i. 1. 4.

a For the rite you two, for the gods may I be strong.
b Thee for accomplishment!
c The Raksas is burnt up, the evil spirits are burnt up.
d Thou art the yoke.
e Injure him who injures us, injure him whom we injure.
f Thou art of gods the most firmly jointed, the most richly filled,
the most agreeable, the best of carriers, the best caller of the gods.
g Thou art the oblation-holder that wavers not.
h Be firm, waver not.
i I gaze on thee with the eye of Mitra.
k Be not afraid, be not troubled, let me harm thee [1] not.
l (Be thou) wide open to the wind.
m On the impulse of the god Savitr, with the arms of the Açvins,
with the hands of Pusan, I offer thee dear to Agni, to Agni and Soma.
n This of the gods, this of us too.
o For prosperity thee, not for misfortune.
p May I behold the light, the radiance for all men.
q May they that have doors stand firm in heaven and earth.
r Fare along the wide atmosphere.
s I place thee in the lap of Aditi.
t O Agni, guard the offering.
i. 1. 5.

a Let the god Savitr purify you, with a filter that has no flaw,
with the rays of the bright sun.
b Ye divine waters, that go in front and first purify, forward lead
this sacrifice, place in front the lord of the sacrifice.
c You Indra chose for the contest with Vrtra, ye chose Indra for
the contest with Vrtra.
d Ye are sprinkled.
e I sprinkle you agreeable to Agni, to Agni and Soma.
f Be ye pure for the divine rite, for the sacrifice to the gods.
g The Raksas is shaken off, the evil spirits are shaken off.
h Thou art the skin of Aditi, may the earth' recognize thee [1].
i Thou art the plank' of wood, may the skin of Aditi recognize thee.
k Thou art the body of Agni, loostener of speech.
l I grasp thee for the joy of the gods.
m Thou art the stone of wood.
n Do thou with good labour elaborate this offering for the gods.
o Utter food, utter strength;
p Make ye glorious sounds.
q May we be victorious in contest.
r Thou art increased by the rain.
s May that which is increased by the rain recognize thee.
t The Raksas is cleared away, the evil spirits are cleared away.
u Thou art the share of the Raksases.
v Let the wind separate you.
w Let the god Savitr of golden hands, seize you.

Our Veda and other Grantha are accepted as source of rich knowledge. Modern scientists are searching and trying to know about the Universe. I beleive that knowledge about Universe is there in our old books. Probably we fail to understand and withdraw the right meaning from these texts. For this excellent knowldge of Sanskrit and analytical mind, which can see through, beyond the Sanskrit words, is essential.

The Vedas/Sastra r not the supreme, it came much later around 5th century,secondly it favoured a set of people & community,but orignial divinity of 18 siddar time is considered to b the oldest,Vedas came much after that

Sorry, OUR VEDAS ARE THE SUPREME.

This is the basis on which Sanaathana Dharma Exists. But the same Vedas have been doctored by some Humans for their welfare. The Rishishis Who wrote the Vedas have said that they are ' MANTHRA DRUSHTAAS AND NOT MANTHRA KARTHAAS'

Hence the Vedas have been given though some Rishis like Yaahyavalkya (Brihadhaaranyaka Upnishadh) etc. have been given by the Nirguna ParaBrhaman of the Diemsnionless State which has created 100s of Dimensions (we are in 3rd Dimension).

Taking the words of Max Muller (a German) who was a christian and other Europians to decipher the Vedaas is FOOLISH.

If you want you can give me a phrase of Veda in Sanmskrutham which I can translate in to English.

I am a Ashtasahara Brahmin.

Dear Shri Subramanian,

In post #39 above, you say "Though no one believed Gamow then and everyone even ridiculed him for giving such a theory, Truth prevailed a little later. In the meanwhile the astronomy developed and we could get photographs of stars and galaxies very far from us. These showed a reddish tinge and this could not be explained. It was generally referred to as Cosmic Red Shift. After some years one Mr. Christian Doppler, came with the theory that moving objects emit electromagnetic waves in decreasing or increasing frequencies as the speed is concerned. ... the answer for the real origin of the Universe which was witnessed through telescopes was finally answered by Doppler. This theory is known as Doppler’s Theory."

George Gamow, the propounder of the Expanding Universe Theory or the Big Bang Theory, as it is more popularly known, lived between 1904 CE to 1968 CE, while Doppler lived between 1803 CE to 1853 CE, proposing the Doppler phenomenon in 1842 CE. So, I am really puzzled how a person who died more than 50 years before Gamow was born could have "explained" some thing which was thought out more than 100 years later! Of course, Big Bang Theory established a march over Steady State Theory only through the explanation of the "Red Shift" using Doppler Effect, which again, is just a natural phenomenon, not any theory by itself, as is mentioned by you.

There is just one more thing too! 'Red Shift' and 'Blue Shift' were actually discovered by Fizeau almost immediately after Doppler Effect was discovered and even the explanation that it was due to receding / approaching stars was known for several years before George Gamow came on the scene - nay, came into the world itself! It is only that why the stars were moving away from each other was not clearly known earlier and the Expanding Universe Theory fits in like a glove to explain the red shift - a classic example of how a long-known phenomenon puzzling the scientists finally gets a satisfactory explanation with the advent of a new theory.

Last edited:
Dear Shri.CLN ji,

As they say in Tamil ' Kuttupattaalum MOdhirakkayaalE KuttupadaNum'.

I am a graduate in Physics from Nagpur University (1985) and have sent my presentation "About the Universe and the Maker of this Universe' (which is full of Physics and Metaphysics) to many of my friends across the world, none has been able to find fault with it.

I pray your goodself to give your email address so as to enable me to send my work to you, if you please, so as to enable required corrections.

Pranaam.

B.Subramanian.

Last edited:
Dear Shri.CLN ji,

As they say in Tamil ' Kuttupattaalum MOdhirakkayaalE KuttupadaNum'.

I am a graduate in Physics from Nagpur University (1985) and have sent my presentation "About the Universe and the Maker of this Universe' (which is full of Physics and Metaphysics) to many of my friends across the world, none has been able to find fault with it.

I pray your goodself to give your email address so as to enable me to send my work to you, if you please, so as to enable required corrections.

Pranaam.

B.Subramanian.

Dear Shri Subramanian,

I feel that either your friends across the world missed noticing the discrepancies in your presentation, paying more attention to the gist of your argument and less for the details, or, they did notice them but decided against pointing them out to you. Any way, it is no big deal, IMO. Facts and Truth, you being a man of more metaphysics than physics will doubtless vouch, have a way of revealing themselves, of their own accord, in most unexpected ways, through most unexpected means! So cheer up!

Dear Shri.CLN ji,

You do not want to give your email address? So be it.

Perhaps this is the way the Nirguna PraBrahman wants things to happen.

Pranaam,

B.Subramanian.

Not at all, Shri Subramanian! It is not that I do not want to give YOU my mail id. I was hesitant only because I am not really sure how far I will be capable of finding 'faults' in the work of another person and do justice because you want to send it to me for corrections. You see, neither I wear any "modhiram" nor have I developed any expertise in "kuttudhal", even though I have been a teacher for several years!

If you still feel you should send me your work here it is: [email protected].

Last edited:
Dear Friends,
Some of our friends in ISKCON like thompson and others are doing a wonderful job trying to find meaning to vedic cosmology/
Let me point out the true difficulty. Normal humans do not have complete perception of this world. their brain is not active. this is our real problem in understanding the scriptures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back