• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Our Veda, Upanishada, other oldScriptures

Status
Not open for further replies.
ABOUT THIS UNIVERSE & THE MAKER OF THIS UNIVERSE

In the meanwhile the astronomy developed and we could get photographs of stars and galaxies very far from us. These showed a reddish tinge and this could not be explained. It was generally referred to as Cosmic Red Shift. After some years one Mr. Christian Doppler, came with the theory that moving objects emit electromagnetic waves in decreasing or increasing frequencies as the speed is concerned. In physical terms, the observers in the station will hear the frequency and also the amplitude rising as the train approaches them and the frequency and amplitude
will go on reducing when the train moves away from them. Similarly if an object emitting light moves towards an observer, the observer will find it to emit a light towards the violet of the VIBGYOR, and if the object is moving away from the observer, the observer will find it to emit light towards red in the VIBGYOR. In toto, the object may give same electromagnetic radiation, but the perceiver will view a different perception. This is found true for both Light waves (longitudinal waves) and Sound Waves (transverse waves) of Electromagnetic waves. Hence after around 50 years after the presentation of BIG BANG THEORY by George Gamow, the answer for the real origin of the Universe
which was witnessed through telescopes was finally answered by Doppler. This theory is known as Doppler’s Theory.

Shri Suba Sir,

I see you wondering why no takers for your stupendous, avalanche of more than 40 lengthy posts. if the Maker himself (or is it herself/itself) appears before me, the fright will be less, i feel!

BTW, are you in any way related to the well-known management expert Shri Mrityunjay B. Atreya?

re. big bang theory i have one basic doubt. that is when entire universe was supposed to be in a dot (we can cite here our ancients foreseeing Gamow by millennia and saying 'bindutrikona vasukona...etc., is it not?!) and fundamental laws were inoperative, how about time as a dimension? is there any evidence to prove that time as the fourth dimension (courtesy Einstein - for this also there is a small bit from one govindashtakam - i was forced to cram in childhood - kaalam kaala kalaateetam, and we can claim we found that out much before Einstein, but simply went on reciting that slokam for centuries!!) started operating as soon as the big bang went off like 9...8..7... 0! i haven't found anyone discussing this. is it not possible that time and the fundamental laws did not operate till very late and all that description of back-ground radiation can be due to some other cause- very many stars and galaxies emitting particles which transform into cosmic radiation?

After all the name "big bang" was a sarcastic description by Hoyle, Gamow only said expanding universe, is it not? so. i think Gamow supposed only some oscillting - expand and contract, like our lungs - universe, is it not?

now, for a few of the things the big bang does not explain-

It violates the first law of thermodynamics, which says you can't create or destroy matter or energy. Critics claim that the big bang theory suggests the universe began out of nothing. (now they say new matter evolves and so talk about combined law of conservation of mass-energy. so if all matter and all energy was concentrated in zero dimension, wherefrom the external impulse came for bang? if it is internal signal, how it originated? we have no answer. just like religion - don't ask why god created all these!!)

The formation of stars and galaxies violates the law of entropy, which suggests systems of change become less organized over time.

Some astrophysicists and cosmologists cite the absence of exotic cosmic bodies that should have been the product of the big bang according to the theory.

The early inflationary period of the big bang appears to violate the rule that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. (it is here my doubt re. time as dimension itself comes in.)

Lastly, there are some small corrections.

redshift is not red "tinge"-visible light thing.

if we take light as not waves (longitudinal waves, you have said) but as photons what happens to red shift and Doppler effect (not theory)?

Your statement "came with the theory that moving objects emit electromagnetic waves in decreasing or increasing frequencies as the speed is concerned.", is misleading.

i will digest your posts slowly, one by one. so will take time, pl.

Dear Sir,

First of all, I am not challenging anybody's views.

Positive, non-caustic, non-argumentative discussions based on science and logic are always welcome.

Dear Sir,

First of all, I am not challenging anybody's views.

Positive, non-caustic, non-argumentative discussions based on science and logic are always welcome.

Shri Suba Sir,

it is not clear if you are saying my post no.51 is caustic or not. secondly, what type of reply did you expect when you wondered "Still no takers." in post 49 and "What happened to shri.nara (it should be narasimhan)." in post 50? is it that you want only Shri Nara to reply? Kindly make clear so that i will know if i should reply or not to your posts.

I want people who know Cosmology,Science and Metaphysics to interact with me.

i know a bit of science, and a little bit of metaphysics. do i qualify? or is it degree in all the three branches that you would prescribe as minimum qualification?

To suba 42 : Your reply no: 54 shows that How much is your level of E G O. (E that Mean I should GO) Your So much lenthy post on BIG BANG theory is total waste of time and energy. simple it is called ANAGATHA NATHAM IN sanskrit and THUN in Punjabi.The basic principle of santmant. s.r.k.

Dear Sir,

I am not able to get the meaning of your posting. It was only with a good intention did i post that (which I had also sent to you to your email address.

Regarding the reply that only people who know cosmology, science and metaphysics to interact with me to the said member is only for avoiding unnecessary trivail arguments.

I do not have post my findings here since I have many friends all over the world. But only in the interest of TBs, and any positive interaction in this regard is welcome.

If you find any of my words as challenging or because of ego, I request for forgiveness.

By the way, Dear Sir,

The latin meaning of word EGA is the Maker Almighty and IT which is in the Dimension;ess state has formed the Universe comprising of 100s of dimensions with the Ego-'I'ness. This is in no way connected to the body or mind.

On second thought I find that why should I waste my time with you all, and can very well use the time to go deep in to myself and find the maker.

SUBA 42 Yes I agree with you just waste of Time best way GO IN (Deep Meditation) and sure you will find out youself ( I am not the BODY) and so on in that stage you will realize GOD that is the creater. s.r.k.

To Suba 42 Thank you for the email and attachment , I have already read about Ramanar and his teaching and so many books published by the Asharam. Any how thank you. s.r.k.

I have been following the discussions on this topic. If you would like to have some serious study, I would request you to kindly go through my ebook, titled " The Glory of Vishnu Sahasranama", posted in Forum, Literature, in Dec 2009.
There had also been a number of threads arising out of it and posted in the same Forum,Literature, which have been extensively discussed and commented upon.
I will be very happy to discuss further, if required.
regards,
Ramanathan.

My Dear Sir,
Anybody who gives any type of knowledge about the Maker is a Guru.
In Shiva Puraanaa, when asked by Goddess Parvethi as to WHO IS THE GURU (Kva Guruhu?) , Lord Shiva says ' Nirastha Sarva Sandeham Aekikruthya Sudharshanam Rahasyam Yo Dhashayi thi Bhajaami Gurumishwaram' - the one who removes all the doubts about the Maker 'Nirguna Parabrahman' is the real Guru.

Last edited:
I have been following the discussions on this topic. If you would like to have some serious study, I would request you to kindly go through my ebook, titled " The Glory of Vishnu Sahasranama", posted in Forum, Literature, in Dec 2009.
There had also been a number of threads arising out of it and posted in the same Forum,Literature, which have been extensively discussed and commented upon.
I will be very happy to discuss further, if required.
regards,
Ramanathan.

Dear Ramanathan,
So nice of you sir.
Everybody will like to know from a learned person like you and will welcome your participation.
Lot of knowledge is hidden in our scriptures. It gets a feel that vedic people were extremely knowledgeable. They new the SECRETES of universe. It is there hidden in manthrams and slokams. Do we have that vision to go through and understand and reveal the real meaning that Vedic people want to convey.

Thanks,
Regards,
VPK

To Suba 42 sir, your posting 46 that Nehru said in his book about aryans is totaly false since he copy it from Macmilan and Yuvansuvang books, thats why the Dravidan parties says Aryans are came from via Kaybar pass. Aryan meens Leader, Guru, Teacher, God etc., s.r.k.

To Suba 42 sir, your posting 46 that Nehru said in his book about aryans is totaly false since he copy it from Macmilan and Yuvansuvang books, thats why the Dravidan parties says Aryans are came from via Kaybar pass. Aryan meens Leader, Guru, Teacher, God etc., s.r.k.

[FONT=&quot]Dear Shri Salem, ( S.R.K),[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The findings that Aryans invaded from Eastern Europe to Bharath Varsha have been from The Discovery of India by Jawaharrlal Nehu (who was a Kashmiri Pandith (Brahmin family)) and the Aryan Invasion Theory is also echoed by many noted WELL KNOWN Historians INDOLOGISTS like Mm. Romila Thapar of Jawaharlal Nehru Unirversity, and many others.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The fact that We also have certain words of Aryan origin connecting them phonetically with Europian Languages like English viz. Mother (English) = Maathru ( in Samskrith) , Father (English) = Pitthru (in Samskrith), Brother (English) = Bhraathru (in Samskrith) and many other words in English and Samskrith Languages having similar Phonetical terms goes to prove that they had the same mother language. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Apart from them, many historians of REPUTE have vouchsafed the AIT (Aryan Invasion Theory). [/FONT]

Best Regards,
[FONT=&quot]B.Subramanian.[/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Aathmaaanam Rathinam Viththi Sharreeram Rahthamevathu,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Budhdhimthu Saarathim Viththi Manam Pragrahamevathu,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Indhriyaani Yhaanaanaahur Vishayaamthemshu Kocharaan,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Aathmendhirya Manoyuktham Bhokthe Dhaathur Maneeshinaha.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]AATHMAN is the traveler, BODY is the chariot, BUDHDHI – Intelligence is the Charioteer, MANAM (Mind) are the reins.INDHRIYAANI HYANAANAAHUR (Karmendhiyaas - 5 nos. and Gyaanendhiriyaas - 5 nos.) are the 10 horses, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VISHAYAAM THE SHU KOSHARAAN – Vishayaa Gyaanam is the path, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AATHMENDHRIYA MANOYUKTHAM BHOTHETH YAAHUR MANEESHINAHA - This is the way in which the Aathman – Brahman is to be known. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thus spake Lord Yama In KATOPANISHADH.[/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Na Anthapragyam Nabahipragyam, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Na Ubayathahapragyam
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Na Pragyaanaganam,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Na Pragyam Na Apragyam, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Adhrustam Avyavahahaaryam Aghraayam, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Alakshanam Achinthyam Avyapatheshyam [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Eka Aathma Prathyaya Saaram [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Prapacha Upashamam,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shaantham Shivam Adhvaitham Chathurtham [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Manyanthe Sa Aathmaa Sa Vignyeyaha. (Verse 7).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Turiya is not that which cognises the internal, not that which cognises the[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]external, not what cognises both of them, not a mass of cognition, not cognitive, not[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]non-cognitive. It is unseen, incapable of being spoken of, unnameable, the essence[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]of the knowledge of the one self, that into which the Universe is resolved, the peaceful,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the benign, the non-dual, such, they think, is the fourth quarter. The AATHMAN [BRAHMAN] is the self; IT is to[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]be known.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thus spake Lord Varuna (in the form of a frog in Maandukya Upanishadh)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is regarding the 5 states of consciousness – Jaagrath Aasthaa – Wakeful State, Swapna Avasthaa - Dream State, Sushooptha Avasthaa – Deep Sleep State, Thuriya Avastha – 4th State (in which body conciousness does not exist and only the "I" ness remains) and there is also one Thuriyaatheetha Avasthaa – 5th State (where there is total blackout when no part of the body including the Heart will
function) .[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Only those who have experienced can define them.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is part of Raja Yoga.[/FONT]

Last edited:
The MAANDUKYA UPANISHADH speaks of this Adhvaitham long before in Sanaathana Dharma yeons ago before the birth of Sidhdhaartha Gauthama Budhdha (Saakhya Muni of NIREESHWARA VAADHA - NO GOD CONCEPT). Hence NEITHER NIRVAANA NOR ADHVAITHAM are the brain child of Budhism. BOTH BUDHDHISM AND JAINISM TEND TO NIREEESHWARA (GODLESS) concept which is zeroness, but only our Sanaathana Dharma has the infinite concept (THE MAKER IS OMNIPRESENT(EXISTING EVERYWHERE) [SARVAARUNA], OMNIPOTENT(HAS ALL THE POWERS)[SARVA SHAKTHI MAYAA] AND OMNISCIENT (THAT WHICH KNOWS EVERYTHING)[SARVAGNYAA]. Only Raja Yoga or Gyaana Yoga (under a realized Guru makes a person achieve this).

THUS THEIR ZERO IS INVARIABLY OUR INFINITY - TO SHRI. SARMAJI61

Last edited:
such, they think, is the fourth quarter.

Dear suba
Can you kindly explain what is meant by the fourth quarter?

[/QUOTE]
there is also one Thuriyaatheetha Avasthaa – 5th State (where there is total blackout when no part of the body including the Heart will
function) .

Sir
How does this turyAteeta avastha differ from that of a dead person ie when no part
of the body including the heart functions?

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]Dear Sir,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When all the entities of this Universe experience Jaagrath Avasthaa (Wakeful state), Swapna Avastha (Dream State) and Sushooptha Avastha (Deep Steep State), only a very very few entities experience the Thuriya Avasthaa ( 4th State) and Thuriyaatheetha Avastha (5th State).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lord Varuna in Maandukya Upanishadh has described only the first 4 states and he considers them as four quartets of a circle. Hence Jaagrath, Swapna, and Sushooptha Avasthaas being the 3 quartets, the fourth Quartet is the Thuriya Avastha, where the body consciousness disappears, the thought process of the mind ceases and ONLY the ‘I’ness remains. This is also the state of Moolaadhaara Chakra (centre between urinary and stool outlets). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He says ‘Sarvagum Hyethath Brahmaha, Ayamaathmaa Brahmaha, Soyamaathmaa Chathuspaath’.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remember that he does not describe the 5th Avasthaa (Thuriyaatheetha Avastha). But Raja Yoga defines the Thuriyaatheetha Avastha, where every organ of the body stops functioning. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Remember life history of Sage Aadhi Shankara, when he left his body (duly hid in the tree hole) and entered into the body of a dead king, in order to answer the questions abut Family life raised by Vaani (wife of Mandana Misra – Poorva Meemaamsa). He lived as the king for several days but his body did not decay. This shows that the Aathman controls the state of the body (in which IT existed) and to keep it in non-decaying state since IT wants to enter the same body again. This is as you had stated death, but the physical body does not decay.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We have many Raja Yogis and Gyaana Yogis in Thiruvaikoil, Trichy who are practicing Raja Yoga or Gyaana Yoga, and exchange notes about their experiences, They have stated the Shookshma Draham (Astral Body – 2 Dimension) going out of the physical body and return back after several hours while the physical body lies dead but the body does not decay.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is humbly felt that only those who have experienced this can vouch safe for this phenomenon.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

100 Benefits of Meditation
(sent by Mr.Prasad Aithal to [email protected])

Physiological benefits:
1. It lowers oxygen consumption.
2. It decreases respiratory rate.
3. It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
4. Increases exercise tolerance.
5. Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
6. Good for people with high blood pressure.
7. Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
8. Decreases muscle tension
9. Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
10. Reduces Pre-menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
11. Helps in post-operative healing.
12. Enhances the immune system.
13. Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress
14. Enhances energy, strength and vigour.
15. Helps with weight loss
16. Reduction of free radicals, less tissue damage
17. Higher skin resistance
18. Drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
19. Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing.
20. Decreases the aging process.
21. Higher levels of DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone)
22. Prevented, slowed or controlled pain of chronic diseases
23. Makes you sweat less
24. Cure headaches & migraines
25. Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning
26. Reduced Need for Medical Care
27. Less energy wasted
28. More inclined to sports, activities
29. Significant relief from asthma
30. Improved performance in athletic events
31. Normalizes to your ideal weight
32. Harmonizes our endocrine system
33. Relaxes our nervous system
34. Produce lasting beneficial changes in brain electrical activity
35. Helps cure infertility (the stresses of infertility can interfere with the release of hormones that regulate ovulation).

Psychological benefits:
36. Builds self-confidence.
37. Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behaviour.
38. Resolve phobias & fears
39. Helps control own thoughts
40. Helps with focus & concentration
41. Increase creativity
42. Increased brain wave coherence.
43. Improved learning ability and memory.
44. Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
45. Increased emotional stability.
46. improved relationships
47. Mind ages at slower rate
48. Easier to remove bad habits
49. Develops intuition
50. Increased Productivity
51. Improved relations at home & at work
52. Able to see the larger picture in a given situation
53. Helps ignore petty issues
54. Increased ability to solve complex problems
55. Purifies your character
56. Develop will power
57. Greater communication between the two brain hemispheres
58. Respond more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
59. increases one’s perceptual ability and motor performance
60. Higher intelligence growth rate
61. Increased job satisfaction
62. Increase in the capacity for intimate contact with loved ones
63. Decrease in potential mental illness
64. Better, more sociable behaviour
65. Less aggressiveness
66. Helps in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction
67. Reduces need and dependency on drugs, pills & pharmaceuticals
68. Need less sleep to recover from sleep deprivation
69. Require less time to fall asleep, helps cure insomnia
70. Increases sense of responsibility
71. Reduces road rage
72. Decrease in restless thinking
73. Decreased tendency to worry
74. Increases listening skills and empathy
75. Helps make more accurate judgments
76. Greater tolerance
77. Gives composure to act in considered & constructive ways
78. Grows a stable, more balanced personality
79. Develops emotional maturity

Spiritual benefits:
80. Helps keep things in perspective
81. Provides peace of mind, happiness
82. Helps you discover your purpose in life
83. Increased self-actualization.
84. Increased compassion
85. Growing wisdom
86. Deeper understanding of yourself and others
87. Brings body, mind, and spirit in harmony
88. Deeper Level of spiritual relaxation
89. Increased acceptance of one self
90. Helps learn forgiveness
91. Changes attitude toward life
92. Creates a deeper relationship with your God
93. Increases the synchronicity in your life
94. Greater inner-directedness
95. Helps living in the present moment
96. Creates a widening, deepening capacity for love
97. Discovery of the power and consciousness beyond the ego
98. Experience an inner sense of “Assurance or Knowingness”
99. Experience a sense of “Oneness”
100. Leads to enlightenment

Meditation has NO negative side effects

100 Benefits of Meditation
(sent by Mr.Prasad Aithal to [email protected])

Physiological benefits:
1. It lowers oxygen consumption.
2. It decreases respiratory rate.
3. It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
4. Increases exercise tolerance.
5. Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
6. Good for people with high blood pressure.
7. Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
8. Decreases muscle tension
9. Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
10. Reduces Pre-menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
11. Helps in post-operative healing.
12. Enhances the immune system.
13. Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress
14. Enhances energy, strength and vigour.
15. Helps with weight loss
16. Reduction of free radicals, less tissue damage
17. Higher skin resistance
18. Drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
19. Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing.
20. Decreases the aging process.
21. Higher levels of DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone)
22. Prevented, slowed or controlled pain of chronic diseases
23. Makes you sweat less
24. Cure headaches & migraines
25. Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning
26. Reduced Need for Medical Care
27. Less energy wasted
28. More inclined to sports, activities
29. Significant relief from asthma
30. Improved performance in athletic events
31. Normalizes to your ideal weight
32. Harmonizes our endocrine system
33. Relaxes our nervous system
34. Produce lasting beneficial changes in brain electrical activity
35. Helps cure infertility (the stresses of infertility can interfere with the release of hormones that regulate ovulation).

Psychological benefits:
36. Builds self-confidence.
37. Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behaviour.
38. Resolve phobias & fears
39. Helps control own thoughts
40. Helps with focus & concentration
41. Increase creativity
42. Increased brain wave coherence.
43. Improved learning ability and memory.
44. Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
45. Increased emotional stability.
46. improved relationships
47. Mind ages at slower rate
48. Easier to remove bad habits
49. Develops intuition
50. Increased Productivity
51. Improved relations at home & at work
52. Able to see the larger picture in a given situation
53. Helps ignore petty issues
54. Increased ability to solve complex problems
55. Purifies your character
56. Develop will power
57. Greater communication between the two brain hemispheres
58. Respond more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
59. increases one’s perceptual ability and motor performance
60. Higher intelligence growth rate
61. Increased job satisfaction
62. Increase in the capacity for intimate contact with loved ones
63. Decrease in potential mental illness
64. Better, more sociable behaviour
65. Less aggressiveness
66. Helps in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction
67. Reduces need and dependency on drugs, pills & pharmaceuticals
68. Need less sleep to recover from sleep deprivation
69. Require less time to fall asleep, helps cure insomnia
70. Increases sense of responsibility
71. Reduces road rage
72. Decrease in restless thinking
73. Decreased tendency to worry
74. Increases listening skills and empathy
75. Helps make more accurate judgments
76. Greater tolerance
77. Gives composure to act in considered & constructive ways
78. Grows a stable, more balanced personality
79. Develops emotional maturity

Spiritual benefits:
80. Helps keep things in perspective
81. Provides peace of mind, happiness
82. Helps you discover your purpose in life
83. Increased self-actualization.
84. Increased compassion
85. Growing wisdom
86. Deeper understanding of yourself and others
87. Brings body, mind, and spirit in harmony
88. Deeper Level of spiritual relaxation
89. Increased acceptance of one self
90. Helps learn forgiveness
91. Changes attitude toward life
92. Creates a deeper relationship with your God
93. Increases the synchronicity in your life
94. Greater inner-directedness
95. Helps living in the present moment
96. Creates a widening, deepening capacity for love
97. Discovery of the power and consciousness beyond the ego
98. Experience an inner sense of “Assurance or Knowingness”
99. Experience a sense of “Oneness”
100. Leads to enlightenment

Meditation has NO negative side effects

vedas
The Vedas

There are four Vedas, the Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Yajur Veda and Atharva Veda. The Vedas are the primary texts of Hinduism. They also had a vast influence on Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism. Traditionally the text of the Vedas was coeval with the universe. Scholars have determined that the Rig Veda, the oldest of the four Vedas, was composed about 1500 B.C., and codified about 600 B.C. It is unknown when it was finally committed to writing, but this probably was at some point after 300 B.C.
The Vedas contain hymns, incantations, and rituals from ancient India. Along with the Book of the Dead, the Enuma Elish, the I Ching, and the Avesta, they are among the most ancient religious texts still in existence. Besides their spiritual value, they also give a unique view of everyday life in India four thousand years ago. The Vedas are also the most ancient extensive texts in an Indo-European language, and as such are invaluable in the study of comparative linguistics.

The Sacred Books of the East (SBE) series, comprising fifty volumes, was issued by the Oxford University Press between 1879 and 1910. It has translations of key sacred texts of Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Zoroastrianism, Jainism, and Islam. The series was edited by the famous linguist and scholar of comparative religion, Max Müller. He wrote three of the volumes, and collaborated on three others. The SBE has been designated by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as part of the UNESCO Collection of Representative Works.
This series was the one of the inspirations for the sacred-texts website. As most of the SBE texts are in the public domain worldwide (and all of them in are public domain in the US), we have a long term project of converting the entire series to etexts. This page is a progress report on this project, and a way of centralizing known bibliographic information on the SBE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back