• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Notes from my Lockdown diary - Part 4

anandkumarrs

Notes from my Lockdown diary - Part -4

Anand Kumar R.S

Lockdown continues in India and so do my notes. The way it goes, it looks like I can publish a complete book compiling all these notes! Even as the thoughts of publishing a book crossed my mind and I sat to type this blog, the wife somehow got a wind of it. “Instead of torturing people with your blogs, you are now planning for a full book? Of all the negative effects of Covid-19 we have to suffer, this must be the worst!” she pronounced. The wife is always right. So, the book plan had to commit suicide. Notes writing gets a reprieve.

(If you have not read the earlier parts, please read here, here and here.)

It seems there is no reprieve though, from doing the household chores for a long time. The other day, our regular household help (God bless her), called up the wife to check if she can start coming, as there was some news of things being relaxed. She apparently felt bad to just receive her salary without doing her work for the past two months. I could hear the wife telling her nicely not to worry and though the ghar ka Bhai is not as good as the Bai in work, she could manage with him! And added in some measure about being Atmanirbhar and all!

It then struck me later as to why the wife made this point to the Bai. Few days ago, after I finished the J and P of BJP (Jhadu and Pocha), I asked the wife, glaring at the somewhat shining floor, “Now your bench mark for a clean and spotless house must have changed, no? And also your expectations from the Bai, no?” I know, there are better ways to fish for compliments. “Benchmark and all I don’t know. What I know is, I have to keep the Bai happy at any cost. She doesn’t break mops within two days, doesn’t finish Vim liquid in one week and finally doesn’t keep showing off her quality of work once done!” the wife quipped. I should have known this better. Of just doing the work and not indulge in pompous self-praise! In the married life of men, the adage “Once bitten, twice shy” doesn’t exist. It is always the case of “Many times bitten, and still don’t learn”!

Like a few days ago, looking at the many “Exercise at home” videos flooding the social media timelines these days, I started doing a hundred “Jumping Jacks” in the morning. When I started it itself, the wife warned that the downstairs people may feel like some earth quake happening. Better said in Tamil – ‘Keezha irukaravaalukku Thalai la idi vizharaapola irukkum’! I took it as her another jibe at my bloating weight and went ahead with it. Sure enough, within two days the managing committee members called to warn me of dire consequences if I continued with my indoor exercises. The end result – Not just jumping jack, even a simple pranayam has been locked down!

Last weekend was another case of not learning. Being a Sunday, I declared loudly that I will cook the lunch. The daughter who is the proverbial cat on the wall in terms of taking sides exclaimed, “But Appa, not your usual Rasam and Potato curry!” “Of course not! Today I am going to make Sambhar and thoran” I should have stopped there. I didn’t. In my zeal to impress, I added, “That too not the “podi potta Sambhar, but arachuvitta Sambhar”! Now for the uninitiated, Sambhar though is a common South Indian dish is made differently in each of the states. This arachuvitta Sambhar is a speciality in Palakkad Tambrahm households, where you don’t use the ready-made Sambhar powder but actually add the freshly ground spices and masala. So, obviously the Sambhar made this way tastes much better. It also calls for more skill to get the mix right.

Now here’s the audacity thing. The wife usually makes this arachuvitta Sambhar very well. So at home, that is the “gold standard”! And though I make the regular Sambhar of and on, so far I have not tried or made this arachuvitta Sambhar before in my life! But then as most of you part of WhatsApp groups would have realised, everybody else is into trying and learning one new recipe or the other and sharing in groups these days! So, I also thought why not try something new and add that as a lockdown learning badge!

I googled for a proper recipe of the arachuvitta Sambhar and got into preparation of the same. Though the recipe was in simple English, the doubts that emanated were endless, as you got down to work. For every doubt I went to the wife, I was promptly reminded that commenting on cooking is very easy while cooking is not! Did I have choice other than agreeing? I followed the recipe and the wife’s tips to the “T” and everything was going as per plan. Or so I thought. Blame the bad light or my reading glass, instead of reading as ¼ TSP of Methi seeds (Vendayam), I read it as 4 TSP of Vendayam, fried the same along with the other ingredients and ground into the paste. And this paste is the most crucial input for the arachuvitta Sambhar! Those familiar with the drill would by now know what will happen if you add 4 TSPs of Vendayam!

While the Sambhar was boiling, I attempted to taste it. I could realise that my first attempt in arachuvitta Sambhar has flopped badly. The Sambhar was bitter in taste thanks to the overbearing taste of Vendayam (Methi seeds)! When it was judgement time, the wife was at her gracious best when she said, “The bitter after taste notwithstanding, it was not bad for a first attempt!” I was relieved on hearing the same before she continued, “Change your blog title from ‘Notes from my lockdown diary’ to ‘Lessons from the lockdown’ and learn from them!

Not a bad idea, isn’t it?

I am learning.

Anand Sir,
Simply super humour!!!
I laughed spontaneously more than 15 times.You have thrown a
grand humor ball.
I cannot do a reality check like in NDTV ,but I agree with you that the partners in our life make us more creative. Kudos to Mami too.
I have read Marina in tamil ,he is known for his humour,so also
N.S.Krishnan and T.A.Madhuram Jodi.Their humour is unparalleled.
Your humor is perhaps on par with that of R.K.L .
Thanks that you have promoted yourself from J&P of BJP and
managed to make an entry into the Chinese territory like the
guarded kitchen on a cool sunday morning.My wife whenever
I boast of my culinary skills,she will say ok 'verumne pesadengo' ,Make hot water for me one day and I will see. And I had a tough time managing it and had to
take tips from her regarding how much water ,which bartan,
and how to light and and switch off gas .And followed her tips to the 'T'.Now I can make tea with confidence but only for just
2 persons.
But you had made a break thru by venturing into'Arachuvita
Sambhar' I know it will be like mountain climbing for me as
I cannot really place may hand on the 'dubbahs ' containing
'Paruppu or 'vendhayam' and in the melee,the nearest available
'dubbah' item may be used more liberally.But your performance
can be a"benchmarking' for a new entrant in the lock down period.
But I think I can beat you Pocha and earn points from my wife,
we got a "Swivel sweeper" from abroad and it is easy on floor
cleaning.
'Bhai' story is the same thing with us also.They are a pampered lot and and her standards of J&P always prevail
and "Ghar ki Bhai' should never complain,
Overall the lock down has made us look inwards our homes,
near and dear one and learn good lessons. Long live the lockdown(memories)!!!

As usual nice and I guessed it with your 'T' itself being arachu vitta sambhar where people collapse with the vendhayam only.

Once I have seen in my relative's house when thalaiver of the house did this arachu vitta sambhar and while thalichufying he put veppilai instead of kariveppilai as mami kept the veppilai for preparing her make up kit along with other ingredients.

We finished even that too by saying it as kashaya sambhar good for health.

(Last one, just for information only; while giving to earlier references you are giving it to your blog only, you can also give reference to this site urls too)

Anand Sir,
Simply super humour!!!
I laughed spontaneously more than 15 times.You have thrown a
grand humor ball.
I cannot do a reality check like in NDTV ,but I agree with you that the partners in our life make us more creative. Kudos to Mami too.
I have read Marina in tamil ,he is known for his humour,so also
N.S.Krishnan and T.A.Madhuram Jodi.Their humour is unparalleled.
Your humor is perhaps on par with that of R.K.L .
Thanks that you have promoted yourself from J&P of BJP and
managed to make an entry into the Chinese territory like the
guarded kitchen on a cool sunday morning.My wife whenever
I boast of my culinary skills,she will say ok 'verumne pesadengo' ,Make hot water for me one day and I will see. And I had a tough time managing it and had to
take tips from her regarding how much water ,which bartan,
and how to light and and switch off gas .And followed her tips to the 'T'.Now I can make tea with confidence but only for just
2 persons.
But you had made a break thru by venturing into'Arachuvita
Sambhar' I know it will be like mountain climbing for me as
I cannot really place may hand on the 'dubbahs ' containing
'Paruppu or 'vendhayam' and in the melee,the nearest available
'dubbah' item may be used more liberally.But your performance
can be a"benchmarking' for a new entrant in the lock down period.
But I think I can beat you Pocha and earn points from my wife,
we got a "Swivel sweeper" from abroad and it is easy on floor
cleaning.
'Bhai' story is the same thing with us also.They are a pampered lot and and her standards of J&P always prevail
and "Ghar ki Bhai' should never complain,
Overall the lock down has made us look inwards our homes,
near and dear one and learn good lessons. Long live the lockdown(memories)!!!
Thank you so much sir, for reading and liking the post! Your detailed comments are also appreciated.

As usual nice and I guessed it with your 'T' itself being arachu vitta sambhar where people collapse with the vendhayam only.

Once I have seen in my relative's house when thalaiver of the house did this arachu vitta sambhar and while thalichufying he put veppilai instead of kariveppilai as mami kept the veppilai for preparing her make up kit along with other ingredients.

We finished even that too by saying it as kashaya sambhar good for health.

(Last one, just for information only; while giving to earlier references you are giving it to your blog only, you can also give reference to this site urls too)
Thanks for the feedback and comment!
Reg. your last point, sorry, I didn't understand what you have mentioned. Pls elaborate.

Thanks for the feedback and comment!
Reg. your last point, sorry, I didn't understand what you have mentioned. Pls elaborate.
When you say for earlier references click here and here and here that leads to your blog only while when one reading here if it refers to this site itself will have good continuity and do you can give reference urls of this site too.

Latest ads

Back