• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Notes from my lockdown diary - Part 1

anandkumarrs

Notes from my lockdown memory - Part 1

- Anand Kumar R.S

As I write this, India is in a complete lockdown due to Covid-19 and today is Day #5. 16 more days to go. May be more. Never in our lives have we experienced a lockdown like this. Neither our parents have. As Indians, we are normally used to different kinds of curbs that hit our daily lives very often. I am talking of the Rasta rokos, Chakka Jaams, Curfews, Hartals, Bandhs and so on. But this is at a different level. Even Kashmiris who face the brunt of partial shutdowns would feel the same, I reckon. Even as recently as a couple of weeks ago, when we were hearing of the Corona virus news from China, we wouldn’t have imagined that it will hit home so close and like this which sort of forced the government to shutdown India completely.

This complete India lockdown has brought to the fore the many “New Normals” in our lives. To start with is of course WFH – “Work From Home”, hitherto a kind of privilege enjoyed by the IT folks. In the current scenario, almost everyone is forced to WFH. Just that in the New Normal, it also implies “Work For Home”. With the entire family spending time within the confines of the four walls, there is no dearth of tragic scenes which are comical and comic scenes which end up turning tragic depending upon which side of the divide you are! In this diary notes, I try to capture some of these scenes for posterity!

In India, milk for daily use is usually delivered at our doorsteps. Not now. Milk is delivered at the building lobby and you have to collect it. The wife who usually picks the milk from the door has now delegated that responsibility to me to go down and fetch the milk from the lobby. “Anyway you can’t walk and exercise and all. Just consider it as a morning walk and do it” is the wife’s take. “Does that apply only to me” was the immediate question which arose in my mind. For obvious reasons, it remained a mind voice.

As part of the lockdown routine, newspapers also have been stopped. For many men, newspapers play more than just one role. Apart from the obvious one of providing updates on happenings around the world, it also performs the most important function of aiding daily “bowel cleaning”. Without the paper in hand, for many, it is a torture. One had to dip into the old newspaper stock these days to get the day going! In the West, I hear newspapers are filling in for the toilet roll shortage in stores.

“Because of the shutdown, can’t even do my daily exercises! Can’t even do walking within the complex”, I lamented on Day #2. “As if before this you were regularly going to the gym and all!, the wife taunted. “After this New year resolution, I remember, you went to the gym at a stretch for 3 days which is better than the last few years record of two days!”, the taunt continued.

“In my friends group, a gym trainer is sharing day wise simple exercises one can do at home. Let us do it together at home”
, the wife declared. “By sharing these videos openly, isn’t the gym trainer risking his future business? Why is he doing this?” My rather nonchalant question was obviously misconstrued and dismissed with this rejoinder. “That is his problem. Why are you worried? Chalo, let us start”! So thanks to the daily dose of gym trainer’s home exercise videos, we have started doing stretching and exercises at home for the past 3 days. Today being a Sunday, of course I took a break!

In India, if you ask the women who they usually miss the most, it is not the kids or the parents or the husband. It is the maid servant! On returning from office, if you find the wife in a pissed off mood, you can safely conclude that the maid has applied for leave for few days and has not arranged for ‘Badli bai’ (replacement maid)! So these days, one of the most important terms during appointment of maids is she should arrange for ‘badli bai’ when she proceeds on leave for more than 2 days. For less than 2 days leave, the bai herself will tell to manage with the ‘Ghar ka bhai saab’!

Under the lockdown situation both wives and husbands alike miss the maid servant. In the absence of maid servant, the monthly calendar has been temporarily morphed into a scheduler for carrying out BJP activities at home in turns. BJP here is an acronym for Bartan, Jaadu and Pocha! (Vessels, Sweeping and Mopping)

At home, the wife allotted Jaadu on Day #1. The vacuum cleaner which had not been used for years now, had to be first dusted and cleaned before being deployed for action. As I got into my cleaning gear, connected the plug of the vacuum cleaner and switched it on, there was a “dup” sound and off went the power! The next scenes are easy to imagine. “You had to use that vacuum cleaner which you last used when you were a bachelor, today only? You can’t even get an electrician now to fix the power problem”, the wife now donning the “Chandramukhi/Manjulika” avatar, yelled. “Wait, let me speak to the society manager and find out if our building electrician is available here only” I quipped. “Why you have to call the electrician? You are an electrical engineer, no? You can’t check the problem yourself?” If I have one regret in life about my choice of education, it is the stream of engineering I chose – Electrical and Electronics!

To all youngsters who come to me for advice on which stream of engineering they should go for, my standard answer is “Anything but electrical”. Only if you are an electrical engineer will you be asked to fix the fan, check the AC and so on at home. I have not seen a civil engineer husband being asked to repair a wall if there is a leakage and all. So all aspiring engineers, do keep this in mind.

Thankfully, it was just a tripping of the circuit breaker due to the overload on the motor of the vacuum cleaner. God that day was kind enough in not subjecting me into further embarrassment and power was back soon. That also meant that the idea of using the vacuum cleaner had to be buried and sweeping had to be done physically with the Jaadu. After that the wife, being her turn, did the Pocha smoothly in 15 minutes flat using the Easy Spin Mop! Why this build up about the mop, you may wonder. Read on.

On Day #2, it was my turn for Pocha. When I got up in the morning, I didn’t realise that my tongue’s Vastu was not alright that day. As I readied myself for the Pocha or the mopping work, I quipped, “How come there are so many deep stains on the floor?” This was a remark meant to highlight the quality of the work the maid does. But I forgot for a minute that the mopping was done by the wife the previous day! “So, If I am doing lousy work, why don’t you do it properly and remove those stubborn stains today?, the wife retorted angrily, of course. After getting a demo of how to use the engineering marvel called the Easy Spin Mop, I launched myself into the job. It certainly seemed simple when the wife gave the demo.

After draining the water, I took out the mop stick and started mopping. Soon enough I turned my attention to the 1st tough stain which I encountered. Being quite conscious of the fact that the stain needs to be removed of its existence, I started mopping like a man possessed. Next, I heard was the sound of some plastic breaking which emerged even above the “Ponaal pogattum poda” song from the old Tamil classics playlist playing in the background. The mop stick unable to withstand my sincerity and urge, gave way and broke into two! The wife who doesn’t usually miss these kind of noises in the house, immediately got alerted. You recall I talked of the Vastu and all.

In the next few minutes, I was given an earful about how the maid was using the mop smoothly for two years and that the mop stick was just replaced two weeks ago and how a simple task cannot be accomplished etc., etc. “These days, the quality of goods is so bad in India. How can Make in India succeed?”, I mumbled in self-defence. “Pottu udakarathayum udachuttu, Quality mela pazhiya podu” (Why blame quality after breaking the stick yourself?) Little did I realise then, that I will have to now do to the back breaking Pocha for the rest of the days! The broken mop stick ended up breaking the peace at home which was holding up till Day #4!

To be continued…

Postscript: On day #5 today, as I sat down to pen this blog, the wife said, “During the lockdown at least why don’t you give a break to your blog?” I put up a brave face and replied, “This week I am actually writing a light piece, not the usual serious stuff!” My BP is now racing upwards as I begin to wonder what will happen when the wife reads the blog.

I don't know how I missed this. As usual nice write up. Visualising every one's house of these days. Things I admired are,
broken mop which will happen in every house and that too if man(husband) does it, it will break!?

Second one is electrical engineer which reminds me of my friend(!?) (because of the age difference I put it in !?) that both of them husband and wife are electrical engineers and husband is working and wife is home maker and one can imagine the conversation between the two of these kind of house chores.

3. New acronym for BJP.

I don't know how I missed this. As usual nice write up. Visualising every one's house of these days. Things I admired are,
broken mop which will happen in every house and that too if man(husband) does it, it will break!?

Second one is electrical engineer which reminds me of my friend(!?) (because of the age difference I put it in !?) that both of them husband and wife are electrical engineers and husband is working and wife is home maker and one can imagine the conversation between the two of these kind of house chores.

3. New acronym for BJP.
Thank you for your comments!

Well .The Bartan,Jadu .pocha( BJP) is a kind of new thing for me and looks good.
The house maid has got paid leave in most households ,I suppose,
Our washing machine has gone off and we have to go back our old system of washing.
Actually the results seem better under old system.
we seem to be busy inside the house either looking at our whats app messages or seeing Ramayan in Doordharshan,and when we come out we find that the roads are deserted and no activity of public movement except during time permitted for purchase of essentials.
Now the pollution is less and get good breeze in the evenings and some small chats
among the flat members mainly related covid news and sometimes rambling around
diverse topics based on the participants' personal experiences. This never happened on
earlier times .some thing new i found that brings us together in times of troubles,
The lock down has done really good and cast a spell for us to re - look at our lifestyle
where it was a sort being busy to reach something.not knowing what it is and mindless
pursuits,insensitivity to our fellow beings and environment and exhausting ourselves in
pursuit of pseudo joys and harming our health and peace of mind,The lock down
is a rare opportunity for reflection and rethinking our choices.

Well .The Bartan,Jadu .pocha( BJP) is a kind of new thing for me and looks good.
The house maid has got paid leave in most households ,I suppose,
Our washing machine has gone off and we have to go back our old system of washing.
Actually the results seem better under old system.
we seem to be busy inside the house either looking at our whats app messages or seeing Ramayan in Doordharshan,and when we come out we find that the roads are deserted and no activity of public movement except during time permitted for purchase of essentials.
Now the pollution is less and get good breeze in the evenings and some small chats
among the flat members mainly related covid news and sometimes rambling around
diverse topics based on the participants' personal experiences. This never happened on
earlier times .some thing new i found that brings us together in times of troubles,
The lock down has done really good and cast a spell for us to re - look at our lifestyle
where it was a sort being busy to reach something.not knowing what it is and mindless
pursuits,insensitivity to our fellow beings and environment and exhausting ourselves in
pursuit of pseudo joys and harming our health and peace of mind,The lock down
is a rare opportunity for reflection and rethinking our choices.
Thanks for the comment!

Latest ads

Back