• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

New cardiac risk score for South Asians

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new documentary explains disease prevention by plant based food

I saw the interview of the author of this book - Forkes over Knives.
It is now a documentary movie and has received excellent comments.

Here is a synopsis suggesting that vegetarian diet can help prevent many diseases.

The biggest finding if you can call that is eating curd (curd rice at night :) ) or Yogurt suppresses hunger at night and seemingly helps in better weight control

That is rather understandable from biochemistry. It comes with yeast/acidophilus organisms that process the sugar for their own use and leaves no sugar for human needs. It should be an easy experiment to perform - give curd to 50 participants, and five minutes later measure insulin levels. It will remain unchanged, in my opinion. It is one of the wholesome foods and yes, far better than GABA receptor agonists to give a sound sleep at night.

The biggest finding if you can call that is eating curd (curd rice at night :) ) or Yogurt suppresses hunger at night and seemingly helps in better weight control

Read in some Ayurveda book before that taking plain curds at night induces the production of phlegm and its recommended to take it with a little salt and some chili to counteract that effect.

Why do you think cows are veggie animals? It is well known that cows know no better and will even be cannibals, i.e. they will chew down feed made out out of their own bovine kind, the source of the deadly decease called "mad-cow" decease.

Whatever may be our present proclivities, we are who we are because our ancient ancestors, the predecessors to the bush people of Botswana, were scavengers, eating the left over scraps of meat on the bones and the bone marrow from the carcass of animals killed by other predators. Biologists say that without the nutrients from animals, the brain of early humanoids would have never developed enough to make humans the most successful life form on earth.

IMO, there are many good reasons to choose a vegetarian life style, but where cow gets its protein is not one of them.

N.R.I......Non Reliable Info

Last edited:
All this is true, but there is a very interesting counter-argument put forth by a book supporting vegetarianism. How does the cow (or any other veggie animal) get protein? Not by eating other animals of course. So the notion that you have to be a carnivore to get protein is flawed. All plants have proteins.

Further, after 30, we only need a replacement level of protein as (most of us) do not grow any taller.

1. Homo sapiens are omninivore by the process of human evolution. They eat meat, vegetables and fruits. Just plant food alone can't provide the human animal all the amino acids needed, and humans can't biosynthesize all amino acids de novo. Which means some of the amino acids must come from other animals like cows.

In that sense, a pure vegetarian (Vegan) is not taking a balanced meal; sooner or later, their health will be affected.

2. Cows can biosynthesize all the amino acids, and they are largely herbivore, although as Mr. Nara pointed out, they can take animal feed mixed with their usual corn meal.

3. Some people ask if the Camels and Elephants live happily with pure plant food, why not humans?

Well, the biology of camels and elephants are quite different from humans.

4. Here is a surprise, even in the human body, neurons can't make glutamate - an important neurotransmitter and an amino acid - on their own, they have to get it from astroglial cells that surround them! Why?

Only Nature and Biological Evolution knows!

5. Most of the TBs are vegetarians, but they consume plenty of whole milk from cows (killing nearly 50% of the calves in this process in India)!

6. Vegetarianism came to India because of Jains and Buddhists... Hindus copied them very late, may be around 800 CE.... with a modification of consuming fish and/or cow's milk....that's the rest of the story.

Cheers.

1. Homo sapiens are omninivore by the process of human evolution. They eat meat, vegetables and fruits. Just plant food alone can't provide the human animal all the amino acids needed, and humans can't biosynthesize all amino acids de novo. Which means some of the amino acids must come from other animals like cows.

In that sense, a pure vegetarian (Vegan) is not taking a balanced meal; sooner or later, their health will be affected.

2. Cows can biosynthesize all the amino acids, and they are largely herbivore, although as Mr. Nara pointed out, they can take animal feed mixed with their usual corn meal.

3. Some people ask if the Camels and Elephants live happily with pure plant food, why not humans?

4. Here is a surprise, even in the human body, neurons can't make glutamate - an important neurotransmitter and an amino acid - on their own, they have to get it from astroglial cells that surround them! Why?

5. Most of the TBs are vegetarians, but they consume plenty of whole milk from cows (killing nearly 50% of the calves in this process in India)!

6. Vegetarianism came to India because of Jains and Buddhists... Hindus copied them very late, may be around 800 CE.... with a modification of consuming fish and/or cow's milk....that's the rest of the story.

Cheers.

Latest set of books and documentary "Forks over knives" coming to theaters in USA refutes this claim about humans needing animal output. See earlier post
Also cows left to themselves to their true nature do not eat meat but meat is fed with corn which was the reason for the manufactured 'mad cow' disease.
West and now followed by copy-cats in the east love to do all they can to go against nature.

Meat production is filthy, not to mention cruelty that only humans are capable of conceiving and delivering. Let me provide a reference video that should not be watched by those affected by disturbing content.. Those that cherish eating meat should certainly watch this

Last edited:
Why do you think cows are veggie animals? It is well known that cows know no better and will even be cannibals, i.e. they will chew down feed made out out of their own bovine kind, the source of the deadly decease called "mad-cow" decease.
Cheers!

Cows are not cannibals by choice. They were made to eat cow-meal by British farmers. Clearly it was modified beyond recognition.

Agree that humans cannot synthesize all amino acids. Those are called essential amino acids. However nothing says that they cannot be derived from plant food. Any seed contains tons of proteins. Even rice contains 10-20% protein, just look at the label of a bag.

Your historical facts may all be correct, but that doesn't mean that a vegetarian (with milk protein intake) cannot survive. I haven't seen any well-nourished vegetarian suffering from protein deficiency. Once we are past 30, even milk is not needed (for protein). Hence the origin of lactose intolerance.

Cheers.

Agree that humans cannot synthesize all amino acids. Those are called essential amino acids. However nothing says that they cannot be derived from plant food. Any seed contains tons of proteins. Even rice contains 10-20% protein, just look at the label of a bag.

Your historical facts may all be correct, but that doesn't mean that a vegetarian (with milk protein intake) cannot survive. I haven't seen any well-nourished vegetarian suffering from protein deficiency. Once we are past 30, even milk is not needed (for protein). Hence the origin of lactose intolerance.

I am not disputing many of what you said. But,

1. Please check whether plant seeds (which have as much as 20% protein) can give ALL Essential Amino acids to humans... I have doubt.

2. I fully agree with you that a vegetarian meal with cow's whole milk is excellent; there is no question of survival - In fact, middle to upper middle class TBs take plenty of cow's whole milk and even invite problems of high triglycerides, LDL and vLDL which leads to Atherosclerosis, and other complications. The problems could come to poor vegetarians, who may not take enough cow's milk, egg or fish (as Vegetarians in W Bengal do).

3. I don't know much about "passed age 30 you don't need milk for proteins". I have not seen any data or articles on that particular age-dependent needs.

Cheers.

I am not disputing many of what you said. But,

1. Please check whether plant seeds (which have as much as 20% protein) can give ALL Essential Amino acids to humans... I have doubt.

2. I fully agree with you that a vegetarian meal with cow's whole milk is excellent; there is no question of survival - In fact, middle to upper middle class TBs take plenty of cow's whole milk and even invite problems of high triglycerides, LDL and vLDL which leads to Atherosclerosis, and other complications. The problems could come to poor vegetarians, who may not take enough cow's milk, egg or fish (as Vegetarians in W Bengal do).

3. I don't know much about "passed age 30 you don't need milk for proteins". I have not seen any data or articles on that particular age-dependent needs.

Cheers.
hi
new phenomena in south asian women abt breast cancer.....may be non availability of data....

regards
tbs

The problems could come to poor vegetarians, who may not take enough cow's milk, egg or fish (as Vegetarians in W Bengal do).
Cheers.

No, no, no that is not vegetarianism. Fish are vertebrates and no plant has a vertebral column.

hi
fish are famous in orissa/bengal brahmins....they are kadal katharikkai.... i think some part of egg/fish to be added in moderation...

we tambrams has some problems in food....we are REALLY THAYIR SADHAM ....im not compelling them,,,,eggs can be good for young

children....may be fish oil capsules...instead of fish....like cord liver oil capsules..especially for young children....my 2 cents..

regards
tbs

http://is1.mum.edu/vedicreserve/kashyap_samhita.htm

This link has lots of info esp the PDF files.Click on the PDF links when you see the page and you can read the following:
kashyapa_pdf.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back