• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

New cardiac risk score for South Asians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to tell some of you -

neurotransmitter acetylcholine depends on acetyl coenzyme A that is produced in mitochondria during ATP synthesis, which means exercising will actually help in keeping a healthy brain.

However, Alzheimer's disease affects only those who have a brain in the first place. :)

Oh Lord, Where's my middle finger? Lol

The Mob is in full gear, I suppose!

Just wanted to tell some of you -

neurotransmitter acetylcholine depends on acetyl coenzyme A that is produced in mitochondria during ATP synthesis, which means exercising will actually help in keeping a healthy brain.

However, Alzheimer's disease affects only those who have a brain in the first place. :)

DrBarani - I have to agree with Renu - you have a style stating the obvious that makes me truly laughing out loud rolling on the floor!
icon7.png

Alzheimer's disease is not related to partially handicapped ones :)

Nothing wrong with that. After all only those with a heart, can have heart problems. Clearly we are not heartless!

You know, actually, you made a very profound statement. Indians, by and large, are highly emotional, strongly bonded families and friends, sentimentally attached to their ambience, environment (nativity). For example, my mother feeds the crows in the morning with freshly cooked rice, before she feeds us, and she will be disappointed if the crow doesn't show up on time!

I do think such traits are signs of an evolved species. Emotionless beings are rocks!

The negative side of being emotional is the stress on the heart.

I am impressed that you diagnosed AZ for me from Malaysia!

How many papers did you publish on amyloid plaques and hyper-phosphorylated tau proteins in my brain?

Oh, Yah, you checked my CSF!!!

.. or your friend Sai told you so!!!

Relax, Madam.

I have so far only done Lumbar Puncture for Vertebrates of the Human Kind.We were not taught how to handle Invertebrates.

Wait let me call Jesus and I will let you know.

Salt is dead - Long live salt

I reproduce hereunder an interesting Article written by Columnist Shampa Dhar - Kamath, in "The New Indian Express" about the confusion of non-medical man on the changing trend in medical discoveries. I request the Doctors in our Tamil Brahmin Forum to comment on this.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salt is dead; Long live salt (The New Indian Express - 17 July 2011)
Shampa Dhar-Kamath

"Salt is the killer. Er, no, it’s not. It’s sugar you must avoid. Oh sorry, salt is the killer, but only if you have more than three grams a day while simultaneously downing less than 1,000 mg of potassium daily. Oh, are you shunning the salt shaker because you’re hypertensive? Listen, we have it on good authority that anyone who thinks that salt has anything to do with high blood pressure is delusional. Don’t you know that studies have shown that people who consume 14 grams of salt a day have a lower median blood pressure than those who have about 7.2 grams a day?

So stop worrying about salt, and watch your sugar intake instead. No, don’t bother with brown sugar anymore. Yeah, yeah, it’s unrefined and all that but it also has just as many calories as the white stuff. Plus, the much-touted bonuses of iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium are insignificant nutritionally.While you’re about it, forget everything you’ve heard about eggs too. Yes, we know that we told you to go slow on them because of the fatty acids and cholesterol that they contain. But we’ve changed our mind. Instead, we bring you the heartening news that eggs are packed with the goodness of 11 vitamins and minerals in glorious amounts and are also one of the few food sources of vitamin D, the lack of which can give you anything from brittle bones to cancer. So knock them back, and don’t stinge on the yolk: it contains heaps of calcium, zinc and magnesium, and lashings of vitamin A, copper, B6 and magnesium. A few yolks a day in fact keep the cataracts at bay.Could you also pipe down about the fresh fruits? They may come in handy if you’re looking for a shot of vitamin C but other than that, there’s no need to be gorging on five portions a day. You don’t want to be seen as a glutton, do you? Just have five dainty tablespoons of dried fruit instead. Better still, make one portion a shot of juice. No, it’s not unhealthy for you. Stop living in the past. It’s too complex to explain about complex sugars right now, but just wait a few years, and you’ll see we were right. We busted the drink-water-through-the-day myth, didn’t we? Sometime in the 1940s, someone recommended that the human body be watered with eight glasses of fluid a day. Over time “fluid” turned to “water” and gorging on H2O arose. But now you know that you need to drink water only if you’re thirsty. And even then, a beer can do the trick. More effectively, probably. One last thing, before we go. Please try and forget that we told you that thinner people are healthier than fat ones. Because—as you should have learnt from the ugly duckling—it really is what’s on the inside that counts. Scientists now know that a lot of thin people pack a lot of fat around vital organs like the heart, liver or pancreas. What’s worse is that these lanky-frankies, without the warning signal of a protruding belly, are lulled into a false assumption of good health. Just like you, poor non-medical man, are gulled into believing that science is an omniscient art."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reproduce hereunder an interesting Article written by Columnist Shampa Dhar - Kamath, in "The New Indian Express" about the confusion of non-medical man on the changing trend in medical discoveries. I request the Doctors in our Tamil Brahmin Forum to comment on this.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shampa Dhar-Kamath

"Salt is the killer. Er, no, it’s not. It’s sugar you must avoid. Oh sorry, salt is the killer, but only if you have more than three grams a day while simultaneously downing less than 1,000 mg of potassium daily. Oh, are you shunning the salt shaker because you’re hypertensive? Listen, we have it on good authority that anyone who thinks that salt has anything to do with high blood pressure is delusional. Don’t you know that studies have shown that people who consume 14 grams of salt a day have a lower median blood pressure than those who have about 7.2 grams a day?

So stop worrying about salt, and watch your sugar intake instead.

I look at everything from metabolic pathways. Excess salt can be easily excreted from the body. Excess sugar cannot be easily excreted. The sugar processing mechanism is a complex system of enzymes and storage, retrieval and usage. The only other more complex processing system in the body is cholesterol. Not to forget the role of immune system when it meets excessive insulin production. The immune cells don't much like insulin as it resembles other growth factors.

It is not a fair comparison to put salt and sugar on the same plate (no pun intended). Reducing salt might lead to lower Iodine and result in poor thyroid performance, which in turn can cause heart related problems.

My obervation is, reducing sugar in normal diet has never hurt anyone.

Moderation is best in food.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Shampa Dhar-Kamath

So stop worrying about salt, and watch your sugar intake instead. No, don’t bother with brown sugar anymore. Yeah, yeah, it’s unrefined and all that but it also has just as many calories as the white stuff. Plus, the much-touted bonuses of iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium are insignificant nutritionally.While you’re about it, forget everything you’ve heard about eggs too. Yes, we know that we told you to go slow on them because of the fatty acids and cholesterol that they contain. But we’ve changed our mind. Instead, we bring you the heartening news that eggs are packed with the goodness of 11 vitamins and minerals in glorious amounts and are also one of the few food sources of vitamin D, the lack of which can give you anything from brittle bones to cancer. So knock them back, and don’t stinge on the yolk: it contains heaps of calcium, zinc and magnesium, and lashings of vitamin A, copper, B6 and magnesium. A few yolks a day in fact keep the cataracts at bay.Could you also pipe down about the fresh fruits? They may come in handy if you’re looking for a shot of vitamin C but other than that, there’s no need to be gorging on five portions a day. You don’t want to be seen as a glutton, do you? Just have five dainty tablespoons of dried fruit instead. Better still, make one portion a shot of juice. No, it’s not unhealthy for you. Stop living in the past. It’s too complex to explain about complex sugars right now, but just wait a few years, and you’ll see we were right. We busted the drink-water-through-the-day myth, didn’t we? Sometime in the 1940s, someone recommended that the human body be watered with eight glasses of fluid a day. Over time “fluid” turned to “water” and gorging on H2O arose. But now you know that you need to drink water only if you’re thirsty. And even then, a beer can do the trick. More effectively, probably. One last thing, before we go. Please try and forget that we told you that thinner people are healthier than fat ones. Because—as you should have learnt from the ugly duckling—it really is what’s on the inside that counts. Scientists now know that a lot of thin people pack a lot of fat around vital organs like the heart, liver or pancreas. What’s worse is that these lanky-frankies, without the warning signal of a protruding belly, are lulled into a false assumption of good health. Just like you, poor non-medical man, are gulled into believing that science is an omniscient art."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yama Yama-Doo where are you?
You have got some work to do now.
We need some help from you now.

‪Scooby Doo Theme Song‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited:
I've been told time and again by well meaning non veg friends that veges lack protein, unless they are at least eating eggs. I've also heard/ read that protein from vegetarian sources ie nuts, legumes, dals, diary, soy and fungi are not as flly and as quickly absorbed by the body as protein from animals/seafood. Any idea how far this is true?

But then again I guess there is a downside to too much protein, as western diet is very much protein heavy (steak/kidney etc) and puts a strain on the kidneys. Oh well heart attack or kidney damage? Hard to choose! :)

Last edited:
You know, actually, you made a very profound statement. Indians, by and large, are highly emotional, strongly bonded families and friends, sentimentally attached to their ambience, environment (nativity). For example, my mother feeds the crows in the morning with freshly cooked rice, before she feeds us, and she will be disappointed if the crow doesn't show up on time!

I do think such traits are signs of an evolved species. Emotionless beings are rocks!

The negative side of being emotional is the stress on the heart.

This post reminded me of something and I'm just thinking (or typing rather) allowed, if you will.

I totally agree we Indians are very emotional a people. Just like the Latins. Passionate, high strung, fiery? :). But.....the ones that ruled the world now and before so to speak, were WASP. Cool, calm, collected, unemotional compared to the Latins.

If you compare the former British colonies to that of the Portuguese/Spanish, its clear the latter is poor with a large population. Also very interesting that the cool calm WASP are Protestants and the fiery, high strung Latin types are Catholic. Next one up is Pax Sinica, after Pax Americana and before that Pax Britanica. Pax Sinica is probably the most unemotional ruthless one ever. Oh boy. Not looking forward to this one.

You have got some work to do now.
We need some help from you now.

‪Scooby Doo Theme Song‬‏ - YouTube

Instead of calling Yama - the God of Death according to Hindu Mythology - people will be better off calling Sai...Baaaa.Ba who always lives! Lol.

For Yama may take you straight to Hell.... Beware!

Here's a joke: Yamaka has Yama in him - hence he is FEARLESS! Lol.

Relax people!

Last edited:
I've been told time and again by well meaning non veg friends that veges lack protein, unless they are at least eating eggs. I've also heard/ read that protein from vegetarian sources ie nuts, legumes, dals, diary, soy and fungi are not as flly and as quickly absorbed by the body as protein from animals/seafood. Any idea how far this is true?

But then again I guess there is a downside to too much protein, as western diet is very much protein heavy (steak/kidney etc) and puts a strain on the kidneys. Oh well heart attack or kidney damage? Hard to choose! :)

My view has been that middle to upper middle class vegetarians take plenty of cow's whole milk which is a good source of protein AND saturated fat..they are NOT deficient of protein at all.

Instead, they are taking too much cow's saturated fat! That's the danger leading to higher triglycerides, LDL and vLDL, which mostly leads to hypertension, heart disease etc... plus excess White Rice precipitates in diabetes.

Whereas, the poor people (both Vs and NVs) don't take enough of protein, vegetables and fruits - I call them malnourished.

For middle aged people, I recommend to do the Blood + Urine Chemistry and "Stress Test" once a year to know what's happening in their body.

Cheers.

Instead of calling Yama - the God of Death according to Hindu Mythology - people will be better off calling Sai...Baaaa.Ba who always lives! Lol.

For Yama may take you straight to Hell.... Beware!

Here's a joke: Yamaka has Yama in him - hence he is FEARLESS! Lol.

Relax people!

Yo Dude,

I have to admire you for being spot on all the while.
You are spot on when you said "He" lives on and my dear again you hit the right note about Yama.

Thats why we sing; Chandrasekharamashraye Mama Kim Karishyati Vai Yamaha

Joke of the day: God doesnt exists but Yama does!!

Last edited:
Yo Dude,

I have to admire you for being spot on all the while.
You are spot on when you said "He" lives on and my dear again you hit the right note about Yama.

Thats why we sing; Chandrasekharamashraye Mama Kim Karishyati Vai Yamaha

Do you know why 'Mr or Ms Fearless' (we are not sure) is afraid to volunteer what religious training he or she received to get the courage to come with the explicit purpose to poke fun at Sri Sai Baba? Where did 'he or she' get this Arabic thinking? Lol.

All this is true, but there is a very interesting counter-argument put forth by a book supporting vegetarianism. How does the cow (or any other veggie animal) get protein? Not by eating other animals of course. So the notion that you have to be a carnivore to get protein is flawed. All plants have proteins.

Further, after 30, we only need a replacement level of protein as (most of us) do not grow any taller.

All this is true, but there is a very interesting counter-argument put forth by a book supporting vegetarianism. How does the cow (or any other veggie animal) get protein? Not by eating other animals of course. So the notion that you have to be a carnivore to get protein is flawed. All plants have proteins.

Further, after 30, we only need a replacement level of protein as (most of us) do not grow any taller.

I always wondered how elephant, camel, horses, bulls get their strong bones and strength.
Food as provided by nature is vegetarian - plants and trees produce from raw materials like dirt, sunlight, water, Carbon-dioxide that other livings give out and make edible food with all the protein, carbohydrates, vitamins etc etc and they do not run away!.

Our intestines are long like those of vegetarian animals. For a meat eating animals it is short so things do not get spoiled and stay longer.

If we understand that nature reflects intelligence I would think that like cow we should be able to get what we need for our survival from vegetarian diet though we often only get to consume processed food or pesticide soaked items in many parts of the world.

One can always make a meal out of a cow but the original nature provided food are plants.

We cannot trust information that is published or advertised. The whole food pyramid which was taught all the way in primary schools was concoction of the powerful food and dairy lobby. Eventually it was shown to be flawed. The whole RDA (Required Daily Allowance) is all influenced by companies that have indirect interest in marketing their processed food. One cannot trust any of such information even from a democratic state such as USA because the corruption is very much present in terms of lobby efforts to twist findings.

I would like to know if there are legitimate studies that show humans need animal products. I would want to know who funded that research.

Do you know why 'Mr or Ms Fearless' (we are not sure) is afraid to volunteer what religious training he or she received to get the courage to come with the explicit purpose to poke fun at Sri Sai Baba? Where did 'he or she' get this Arabic thinking? Lol.

TKS dear,

You know I am sure you are aware of the Sishupala Syndrome where he went on "abusing" Lord Krishna and was actually indirectly contemplating on GOD all the while.
So I see it here too,for all you know the person concerned here is already a Jeevan Muktha by now at the rate he is doing Namasmaranam!! LOL!!

...How does the cow (or any other veggie animal) get protein? Not by eating other animals of course.
Why do you think cows are veggie animals? It is well known that cows know no better and will even be cannibals, i.e. they will chew down feed made out out of their own bovine kind, the source of the deadly decease called "mad-cow" decease.

Whatever may be our present proclivities, we are who we are because our ancient ancestors, the predecessors to the bush people of Botswana, were scavengers, eating the left over scraps of meat on the bones and the bone marrow from the carcass of animals killed by other predators. Biologists say that without the nutrients from animals, the brain of early humanoids would have never developed enough to make humans the most successful life form on earth.

IMO, there are many good reasons to choose a vegetarian life style, but where cow gets its protein is not one of them.

Cheers!

Result of a recent study involving over 10000 people regarding exercise, food habits

"The new research, by five nutrition and public health experts at Harvard University, is by far the most detailed long-term analysis of the factors that influence weight gain, involving 120,877 well-educated men and women who were healthy and not obese at the start of the study. In addition to diet, it has important things to say about exercise, sleep,television watching, smoking and alcohol intake."

Not sure if there are any vested interest that funded the work. I have included the abstract of the publication where they list the sponsors. Comments?

Abstract

It says - Still counting calories, it is outdated! - Read it here

"The new research, by five nutrition and public health experts at Harvard University, is by far the most detailed long-term analysis of the factors that influence weight gain, involving 120,877 well-educated men and women who were healthy and not obese at the start of the study. In addition to diet, it has important things to say about exercise, sleep,television watching, smoking and alcohol intake."

Not sure if there are any vested interest that funded the work. I have included the abstract of the publication where they list the sponsors. Comments?

Abstract

It says - Still counting calories, it is outdated! - Read it here

Just the read abstract, it appears that all those weight adding items are insulin-triggering substances while those weight-reducing (negative correlation) substances do not require insulin production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back