• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Neglect of humanities

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SwamiTaBra

We see that study of humanities amongst students is neglected in south India since 1970s. Unlike in north India, parents here go all out to dissuade their children from taking up study of literature, linguistics, political science, history or even economics. Even study of law is not seen as first priority except in families where there have a legacy of legal practice.

Economists are quite powerful, in that they influence the course of policy.

I felt that the matter is worthy of discussion, and I request learned members to participate.

I have just set the ball rolling....

Regards,
Swami

Economists are quite powerful, in that they influence the course of policy.
IMO in the scenario of Indian politics an economist has very little influence in shaping the economy of the country. The coveted post of the finance minister is allotted to a senior politician of the ruling party, who may have little knowledge of economics.The financial policy is decided by the finance minister and the bureaucrats.

It is not correct to say that an economist has very little influence in shaping the economy of the country.Government of India has established a Class I service called "Indian Economic Service".Recruitment is done through ALL INDIA Competitive Examination by UPSC just like any other
Central Services Class I Examination.Candidates with 'Economics' degree are only eligible to take the examination. Number of I.E.S officers work in PLANNING COMMISSION.Every MINISTRY is having a Senior Level Officer as 'ECONOMIC ADVISOR'.
I had the opportunity to work in "ECONOMIC RESEARCH WING" in the Department of Telecommunications. I was from P&T FINANCE and ACCOUNTS Service Class I.The other team members were from INDIAN TELECOMMUNICATION SERVICE CLASS I,INDIAN STATISTICAL SERVICE CLASS I and INDIAN Economic Service Class I.
It is a fact that IAS officers dominate everywhere in THE GOVERNMENT SET UP and OTHER Class I officers from other Established Class I services are a disgruntled lot.
Another anamoly is there is no prior Accounts education or knowledge prescribed for taking ALL INDIA Class I ACCOUNTS SERVICES like
IA&AS, ICS,IRAS,IDAS,P&T FINANCE ACCOUNTS SERVICES.

According to my limited knowledge of how economics and economists work, both are there to justify whatever the Government in its imperious wisdom wants to be done. Economists, therefore, come in three shapes; those who laud government policies and justify them as sound economics, those who oppose whatever the govt. does either because these economists are aligned with the opposition, and, the neutral economists. Economics is a science which finds causes for something after it has happened. In this respect it has some similarity with astrology!

Of course many economists have reaped good "economic" benefits through their career, but those who did not constitute the majority.

hails to you swamitabra for raising this issue. i myself wanted to raise it. parents want to enforce their own views on pupils rather than allowing the kids to decide for themselves based on their aptitude, likes talent.

The aim of starting this thread to broad based discussion on subject that will have a bearing on future generations.
Most of the people who articulate their views here have in some way or other benefitted either by direct study or by osmosis from disciplines coming under humanities.
Whether we like it or not, economists have a hand in all major policy matters. Major corporates houses have their in house economists, not to speak of business associations.
In fact they provide the intellectual ballasts to most major political groupings.

My request, therefore to all is that discussions need not be restricted to economics alone.

With regards,
Swami

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back